Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Troll Bridge is back up on YouTube, and properly this time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7v_TdLviUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.robin-king.com/property/residential/for-sale/winscombe/rowberrow/school-lane/100289004074

Have you got 800,000 pounds handy? Then you can buy Sir Terry's home.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oof, not for a long while. He moved somewhere else in the early 90s, living there till his death.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I remember I got The Shepherd's Crown from the library, and I sat there reading it and I got to the point where Granny realizes what was going to happen tomorrow, and while I was fairly sure that was a thing that would happen in this, the last book, I just wasn't ready for it, and there I was, a grown-rear end man sitting in the library crying over something happening to a fictional character.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Now I feel like I really missed out:smith: I was limited to reading what Discworld books were in my school's library and they didn't have many that featured Granny Weatherwax so I didn't really know her much before I read Shepheard's Crown...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boxturret posted:

Now I feel like I really missed out:smith: I was limited to reading what Discworld books were in my school's library and they didn't have many that featured Granny Weatherwax so I didn't really know her much before I read Shepheard's Crown...

Granny is the backbone of the Discworld series. She was the first major character to be introduced apart from Rincewind and Cohen, both of whom were "retired", and also the primary delivery system for Pterry's humanist philosophy. A couple of her novels are very same-y on the surface, but they're all worth reading and I'd pimp them above even the Watch series as an entry point.

Incidentally, Granny doesn't necessarily die in The Shepherd's Crown. Authorial intent was that she Borrowed her cat at the moment of her physical body's death and released it shortly after, so that she could go with Death at a time of her choosing rather than that of Fate.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

The_Doctor posted:

Just finished watching this, seriously good job

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Jedit posted:

Granny is the backbone of the Discworld series. She was the first major character to be introduced apart from Rincewind and Cohen, both of whom were "retired", and also the primary delivery system for Pterry's humanist philosophy. A couple of her novels are very same-y on the surface, but they're all worth reading and I'd pimp them above even the Watch series as an entry point.

Incidentally, Granny doesn't necessarily die in The Shepherd's Crown. Authorial intent was that she Borrowed her cat at the moment of her physical body's death and released it shortly after, so that she could go with Death at a time of her choosing rather than that of Fate.

Honestly, would you expect any less of her? Granny is not a woman who works to anyone else's schedule, even Death's.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

The_Doctor posted:

This is extremely good.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The troll bridge thing highlights an aspect of Pratchett adaptations, the amount of dialog makes them much more well suited for plays than fast paced movie/tv shows. The long conversation with the troll feels very stagey.

Also one of the key aspects of the Discworld is that it's late stage-Middle Earth/fantasy world after all the big epic battles have been fought, the heroes are old and the previously 'evil' races are all part of civilization now. There's a lot more description of offscreen action than there is action.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 21, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Of all the series, I think the Witches (including the Aching books) would work best as a live action adaption. Maybe skip Witches Abroad. Just shoot the whole thing in various parts of the UK, which also luckily happens to have a bunch of extremely good old female actors to draw a cast from. Do any studio work in Pinewood or Shepperton, use the London FX houses for the magic, job's a goodun.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Of all the series, I think the Witches (including the Aching books) would work best as a live action adaption. Maybe skip Witches Abroad. Just shoot the whole thing in various parts of the UK, which also luckily happens to have a bunch of extremely good old female actors to draw a cast from. Do any studio work in Pinewood or Shepperton, use the London FX houses for the magic, job's a goodun.

Maggie Smith would make an excellent Granny Weatherwax

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rich Fulcher would make an excellent Nanny Ogg

nah, gotta be Miriam Margolyes. There is, like, no contest. Also yeah the Witches stories would make for great adaptations, seeing as they all riff off of existing fantasy stories and folk tales, and apart from the animated one, we haven't had them adapted at all so far.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I never actually saw Phantom of the Opera until last year, I'm very excited to finally get the jokes in Maskerade.

Edit: I made the exact same post in October, I need to quit posting and get around to it :v:

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 21, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Stephanie Cole could have played Granny Weatherwax in her Waiting for God years, but now she’d be a great Nanny Ogg.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

freelop posted:

Maggie Smith would make an excellent Granny Weatherwax

Maggie Smith is old enough now that it might not be advisable to cast her in a series or leading roles (because, as opposed to being a side-character, it'll involve a lot of shooting).

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Agreed, gillian anderson as granny it is.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think Tilda Swinton might deserve a look.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That would be quite a coup.

Saw The Watch ep 4 last night. I can't deny it's all a bit uneven. They did the boots theory bit and that just doesn't work as well in dialogue as it does on the page where you can reread it and take a quick break until you fully work it out. Generally, the show has a problem with dropping in narrative cliches and Pratchett quotes but not making the final bit of effort to make them really fit. Like they started off on making the Carrot/Angua romance a thing in this episode, but neglected to use the previous episodes to build up to it, or the dragon isn't really very present in the narrative but suddenly everyone's afraid of it, that sort of thing. Specifically it's also getting a bit sappy out of nowhere, and if you didn't like the show so far a certain scene with a displacement spell will do the exact opposite of win you over.

It's kind of less like a routined TV production and more like an amateur theater troupe lucked into some budget and a broadcasting slot, but I do have a soft spot for that. Also turning into kind of a huge fan of the lady who plays Angua. And it's got surprise Matt Berry which has gotta count for something.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

That would be quite a coup.

Saw The Watch ep 4 last night. I can't deny it's all a bit uneven. They did the boots theory bit and that just doesn't work as well in dialogue as it does on the page where you can reread it and take a quick break until you fully work it out. Generally, the show has a problem with dropping in narrative cliches and Pratchett quotes but not making the final bit of effort to make them really fit. Like they started off on making the Carrot/Angua romance a thing in this episode, but neglected to use the previous episodes to build up to it, or the dragon isn't really very present in the narrative but suddenly everyone's afraid of it, that sort of thing. Specifically it's also getting a bit sappy out of nowhere, and if you didn't like the show so far a certain scene with a displacement spell will do the exact opposite of win you over.

It's kind of less like a routined TV production and more like an amateur theater troupe lucked into some budget and a broadcasting slot, but I do have a soft spot for that. Also turning into kind of a huge fan of the lady who plays Angua. And it's got surprise Matt Berry which has gotta count for something.

The boots theory didn't work because they only included half of it, so Vimes comes off sounding like a ranting maniac. The literally skip the "a poor guy has to buy loads of boots" which is kind of the key bit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The boots theory didn't work because they only included half of it, so Vimes comes off sounding like a ranting maniac. The literally skip the "a poor guy has to buy loads of boots" which is kind of the key bit.

Yeah, the most important line is the last line where it's said that the poor man would have spent much more on boots and still have wet feet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This series definitely sounds like it’s repeating some of the HHGttG movie’s errors. The movie had many examples of telling half the joke, or doing setup and no followthrough, or doing the punchline with no setup.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

This series definitely sounds like it’s repeating some of the HHGttG movie’s errors. The movie had many examples of telling half the joke, or doing setup and no followthrough, or doing the punchline with no setup.

At least this time the thing people bitch most about wasn't written by the author.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Megazver posted:

Maggie Smith is old enough now that it might not be advisable to cast her in a series or leading roles (because, as opposed to being a side-character, it'll involve a lot of shooting).

Michelle Gomez aged up a little would make a good Granny at the start of the series.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They do have the bit about spending more money in the same time and still having wet feet. It's condensed from the elaborate way it's laid out in the book but the essentials are still there. Trouble is, of course, I know the bit, so I mentally filled in any blanks someone who doesn't may have had between hearing it for the first time and the dialogue immediately moving on to the next bit.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Transcribed as best I could:

"How much do them boots cost? My ten dollar boots, dont make a sound, but the bastards leak. And the soles will wear thin, but eyes closed I'll know where I am in the city just by feeling the stone beneath my toes. Your feet'll stay dry for ten years. In the same time I'll spend three, four, hundred dollars, and my feet'll still be wet."

"What's this? The Captain Sam Vimes boot theory of socioeconomic unfairness?"

"No, it's just.....that's good, I'm gonna keep that. I realised, that the reason the rich are so rich, and the poor stay poor, is that the rich spend less money"

Like, it's mostly there. But it misses the important bit that Vimes has to keep buying boots.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"How much do them boots cost? My ten dollar boots, dont make a sound, but the bastards leak. And the soles will wear thin, but eyes closed I'll know where I am in the city just by feeling the stone beneath my toes. Your feet'll stay dry for ten years. In the same time I'll spend three, four, hundred dollars, and my feet'll still be wet."

"No, it's just.....that's good, I'm gonna keep that. I realised, that the reason the rich are so rich, and the poor stay poor, is that the rich spend less money"

Like, it's mostly there. But it misses the important bit that Vimes has to keep buying boots.

May my tongue fall out for defending that show, but if it's as you wrote it then it doesn't miss that out. Vimes's boots cost AM$10; if in ten years he's spending three hundred dollars on boots then obviously he's buying more than one pair.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

May my tongue fall out for defending that show, but if it's as you wrote it then it doesn't miss that out. Vimes's boots cost AM$10; if in ten years he's spending three hundred dollars on boots then obviously he's buying more than one pair.

Yeah, but you have to deduce that in the middle of the punchline, which wrecks the bit. In the book:

quote:

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

We have two setups for "Vimes is buying loads of boots" before the important bit of "Vimes spends more on boots than a rich guy". But in the show its just about the rich people have better boots. It also doesn't help that the entire thing is gabbled out at breakneck speed because this show seems incapable of pausing for breath.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That's not a bad condensation of the bit from the book, but now comes the question of why is it there? It's too awkward and not snappy to work for someone who doesn't already know the books, so it has to be pushed in for the fans. Which... this is not a show the fans like. Pick a path and stick to it, trying to walk both at the same time ends with taking a header into a lamp post.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The speed of it and how it's sandwiched in between scenes is mostly why it doesn't quite work I think, some things work better in writing where you can go back and reread. And yeah it's crammed in for the fans, much like the bit about Klatchian coffee was which didn't really work either, and one or two others that escape me.

Seems to be quite a few people on Twitter who call themselves Discworld fans (and what other qualification is there) who do rather like the show.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Twitter is basically the place to have incorrect opinions about things.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

My Lovely Horse posted:

The speed of it and how it's sandwiched in between scenes is mostly why it doesn't quite work I think, some things work better in writing where you can go back and reread. And yeah it's crammed in for the fans, much like the bit about Klatchian coffee was which didn't really work either, and one or two others that escape me.

At it's heart, the most basic joke structure in comedy is Setup --> Repetition/Addition --> Punchline/Subversion. It's the bones of almost every classic joke: "A man walks into a bar, then a second man walks into a bar, and then the third man walks into a bar, BUT..." But, for some weird reason, The Watch keeps doing Setup --> Punchline, or sometimes just Punchline -- > Explaining the Punchline Afterwards.

In the books, the boots bit goes:

1. Setup: Sam Vimes makes $10 month. A good pair of boots costs $50. A lovely pair of boots costs $10.
2. Elaboration: A lovely pair of boots lasts one year, and for the last six months the rain is coming up through your cardboard soles. A good pair of boots lasts 10 years.
3. Punchline: So over the decades, a poor man pays more for boots than a rich man and his feet are still loving wet!

In the show, the boots bit goes:

1. My $10 boots leak but I know where I am in the city.
2. Your ($???) boots don't leak and last ten years.
3. I spend more for boots and still have wet feet!

In the show, 1 doesn't properly set up 2, and 2 doesn't effectively add or repeat on information from 1. Worse, the audience isn't given any breathing room between setup and punchline to give the joke room to land.

The weird thing is, the show does have workable jokes sometimes, but it's almost always the stuff that they add, not the Pratchett bits. The "Carol from Accounting" or whoever it was from the Assassin's Guild in episode three had a very normal comedic setup, callback, payoff structure. Honestly, the parts that aren't cribbed from Pratchett are kind of interesting, in a mid-tier Douglas Adams kind of way.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

I got through about half of Colour of Magic and then stopped. I've been told it's not his best; is it worth plowing through?

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
You could skip it and go to Mort, which is where it starts becoming more Discworld and less high-fantasy trope-a-thon.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I always start people with Small Gods.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Start with whichever one has the most interesting cover then read the rest in a completely random order.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Boxturret posted:

Start with whichever one has the most interesting cover then read the rest in a completely random order.

wtf don't dox me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Beachcomber posted:

I always start people with Small Gods.

I started with Small Gods, and I bounced off of it just a bit. I found some of the critiques of religion to be annoyingly shallow in a way that they seem less so now that I've read more. Later I read The Fifth Elephant, which I snagged from a used bookstore while travelling, and I liked it much more, and then Carpe Jugulum, which I adored. I would be happy to read nothing but his Witches stories. At that point I just hit The Colour of Magic (which I didn't find particularly weak tbh) and started moving sequentially, picking up a few at a time. I think that Equal Rites or Wyrd Sisters would have been optimal entry points for me.

A friend of mine always begins people with Guards Guards

e. chaos reigns entry point is Pyramids

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I think the weirdest bit in the first two books is when Death just kills that random guy out of frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

immoral_ posted:

You could skip it and go to Mort, which is where it starts becoming more Discworld and less high-fantasy trope-a-thon.

Seconded. Mort is a great intro to the Disc.