Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Can anyone recommend something good and interesting to read, but that is also fun? My last few Lit books have all been depressing and Russian and Id like to buck the trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

at swim-two-birds

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

CestMoi posted:

at swim-two-birds

Thank you. The wikipedia article makes it look like it'll be a bit to complex for me to get my head around, being all meta and everything, but I'll certainly give it a try.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

Can anyone recommend something good and interesting to read, but that is also fun? My last few Lit books have all been depressing and Russian and Id like to buck the trend.

Jrbg posted:

Reading Olga Tokarczuk's Drive your plow... it's good

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

OscarDiggs posted:

Thank you. The wikipedia article makes it look like it'll be a bit to complex for me to get my head around, being all meta and everything, but I'll certainly give it a try.

the meta aspect eases you in pretty well, all the levels of it are distinct enough that you're not going to be lost at who's where in which story and plus it's really funny so you won't care

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

You should try to read the funny book before deciding that it's too smart for you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also you should not base any decision on anything you read on Wikipedia.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

reading a book in public and laughing loudly at the pages

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
I just finished Inherent Vice and it's my first Pynchon novel and I really dug it. Writing a noir detective novel in the close of the 60s feels inspired (maybe it's not? I don't know) and I'm surprised how accessible Pynchon is after only associating him with Gravity's Rainbow. What's a good next novel while I work up the courage for GR or Against the Day? Or should I just dive in?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

HaitianDivorce posted:

I just finished Inherent Vice and it's my first Pynchon novel and I really dug it. Writing a noir detective novel in the close of the 60s feels inspired (maybe it's not? I don't know) and I'm surprised how accessible Pynchon is after only associating him with Gravity's Rainbow. What's a good next novel while I work up the courage for GR or Against the Day? Or should I just dive in?

just read gr. maybe v if it is a length rather than depth issue that is putting you off

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Against the Day is really long, but I found it to be one of his more accessible novels on the level of prose/structure. It felt a lot easier to follow what was going on than his other work.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tree Goat posted:

just read gr. maybe v if it is a length rather than depth issue that is putting you off

V. is incredible and is the perfect entry point to Gravity's Rainbow.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mason & Dixon is real good too.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Wole Soyinka's first novel in 48 years is getting published later this year, good time to read The Interpreters if you haven't because it's really good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

V. is incredible and is the perfect entry point to Gravity's Rainbow.

V. is the best one

i didn't care for inherent vice, maybe because i don't have much of a connection to the period and location, i liked that V. was set in europe as imagined by an american sailor

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

OscarDiggs posted:

The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hašek

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

Wole Soyinka's first novel in 48 years is getting published later this year, good time to read The Interpreters if you haven't because it's really good.

im not holding out a huge amount of hope that itll be cool, but wole soyinka is insanely good so if anyone can be good at novels 5 decades apart its him

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

What's some good Russian literature from the 20th century? I haven't read anything newer than Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cebrail posted:

What's some good Russian literature from the 20th century? I haven't read anything newer than Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.

Solzhenitsyn is an obvious pick.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
What kind of stuff are you into? And does it have to be Russian or can it be Russian-language literature from other Soviet states (e.g., Chingiz Aytmatov)?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

cebrail posted:

I would suggest checking out some of the post-Soviet stuff. Pelevin owns, especially Generation P. Blue Lard by Sorokin is very good If you can get it. Svetlana Alexievich is from Belarus, but her writings are essential for the post-Soviet era and her Nobel is well deserved. Everything she wrote is excellent.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bulgakov is great, early 20th c

though I think he's Ukranian technically, but still a russian-language author

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Platonov is a really cool.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah platonov is really good

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Solzhenitsyn is an obvious pick.

please only read nazis if they are good at writing like limonov ty

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

cebrail posted:

To counterbalance the Solzhenitsyn rec, I'll say that Isaac Babel is excellent, especially Red Cavalry.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

strugatsky bros are really fun

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

strugatsky bros are really fun

Yeah, Hard to Be a God is a personal favorite of mine, highly recommended if you’re a fantasy reader

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
In no particular order, in addition to all previously recommended:

Yuri Olesha – Envy (Berczynski translation)
Vassily Aksyonov – The Burn
Venedikt Erofeev – Moscow to the End of the Line
Vladimir Nabokov – Invitation to a Beheading
Andrey Bely – The Silver Dove
Ilya Ilf and Yevgeny Petrov – The Twelve Chairs (Fisher translation, although the sequel is better translated by Gurevich and Anderson)
Yevgeny Zamyatin – We (Ginsburg translation)
Vladimir Voinovich – The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin

Edit: Make sure to read the Burgin and O'Connor translation of The Master and Margarita.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 28, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just remembered; Kuprin, Popov (Jevgeni), and Ilf & Petrov.

e: Oh I'm slow.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ulvir posted:

Bulgakov is great, early 20th c

though I think he's Ukranian technically, but still a russian-language author

Seconding this The Master and Margarita is a must read.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What’s the horniest, most lurid early-19th century American lit? Does anyone know of a place online with scans of old dime novels/penny dreadfuls?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Do you mean the late 19th century or the early 20th century?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

What’s the horniest, most lurid early-19th century American lit? Does anyone know of a place online with scans of old dime novels/penny dreadfuls?

iirc American dime novels mostly became a thing in the second half of the 19th century, I guess because the literacy rate was too low beforehand for mass-market popular literature to really take off. I've read a couple of the early Nick Carter novels that I found on Gutenberg and they're fairly tame (bordering on naive), very much a precursor to something like Doc Savage.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Seconding this The Master and Margarita is a must read.

Seconding this. Can't remember the last time a novel made me ugly-cry.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Do you mean the late 19th century or the early 20th century?

Early 19th. Whatever type of thing Pynchon was spoofing with The Ghastly Fop from Mason & Dixon (which is mid-18th c., I know).

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Ah, that would be early Gothic fiction. A really lurid one that's been on my to-read list for a while is Horrid Mysteries. If you want a specifically American recommendation, there's also Charles Brockden Brown.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 28, 2021

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

It's been a while since I read Mason & Dixon but there's also a fair bit of Sade in there as I recall.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lost in postation posted:

It's been a while since I read Mason & Dixon but there's also a fair bit of Sade in there as I recall.

Lurid, not smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

im not holding out a huge amount of hope that itll be cool, but wole soyinka is insanely good so if anyone can be good at novels 5 decades apart its him

his prison memoir is really sick, there's a bit where he's on hunger strike and in solitary confinement and looks through a hole in the wall and sees Hitler staring back at him