Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

mabels big day posted:

i thought the whole traitor plot thread got dropped entirely...?

It got (sort of) brought up recentlyish, in chapter 242. Nezu and All Might were talking about how none of the students had shown suspicious behavior in the four months they'd been in the dormitories, so they concluded none of them are spies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Staltran posted:

It got (sort of) brought up recentlyish, in chapter 242. Nezu and All Might were talking about how none of the students had shown suspicious behavior in the four months they'd been in the dormitories, so they concluded none of them are spies.

right, so i figured that was just how we were gonna drop it because horikoshi forgot and wanted to move on

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

mabels big day posted:

right, so i figured that was just how we were gonna drop it because horikoshi forgot and wanted to move on

He's been setting up the traitor since chapter 20-something, I don't think it's getting dropped now.

The curious thing is that the League didn't know about the hospital raid beforehand, even though all of the students and teachers were involved. Either the traitor knew but didn't tell them for some reason, or he/she didn't know about the raid at all.

I feel like the first is more likely. I can't think of a character who would have known about USJ and the school trip who would not have been informed about the raid.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean, straight I think the traitor thing was Nedzu’s best guess without all the information. It’s fairly plausible that when Shigaraki dusted the gate for the reporters he or someone else also managed to steal the class schedule. Remember they attacked where they knew All Might would be based on that schedule and the lesson was pre-planned.

Then the fact that AfO can track OfA within a certain range, or is naturally drawn towards it, makes the discovery at the forest easier. As they simply were following the location of OfA, and AfO/Sensei at the time knew it had been passed on to a student.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Don't really care about Hawks tbh. Was hoping for Deku having a big dream meeting with the force ghosts

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Don't really care about Hawks tbh. Was hoping for Deku having a big dream meeting with the force ghosts

Feels like we're probably going to get a few chapters catching up on where everyone is post war before we get back to Deku. We'll probably get some chapters checking in on The Big Three, Fatgum, Miruko, Toga, maybe an update on Compress, 1-B, and the rest of 1-A that we didn't see last chapter.

I doubt they'll all get full chapters dedicated to each of them, but we'll probably get a glimpse of most of them.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 30, 2021

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean, straight I think the traitor thing was Nedzu’s best guess without all the information. It’s fairly plausible that when Shigaraki dusted the gate for the reporters he or someone else also managed to steal the class schedule. Remember they attacked where they knew All Might would be based on that schedule and the lesson was pre-planned.

Then the fact that AfO can track OfA within a certain range, or is naturally drawn towards it, makes the discovery at the forest easier. As they simply were following the location of OfA, and AfO/Sensei at the time knew it had been passed on to a student.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but having this be the solution after multiple chapters of characters saying there's a traitor with no indication of anyone thinking otherwise would be pretty garbage writing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Maybe the traitors were the friends we made along the way

Like the guy that turns people into meatballs or that guy who shouts a lot that isn't from UA which still doesn't really narrow it down at all now does it

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I mean the traitor plotline already isn't great when there was like a 150 chapter gulf between it being brought up and literally anything else about it being mentioned again.

There's a reason everyone just kind of believed the claim that some fan asked him about it at a con and he said "oh i forgot about that"

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

rannum posted:

I mean the traitor plotline already isn't great when there was like a 150 chapter gulf between it being brought up and literally anything else about it being mentioned again.

There's a reason everyone just kind of believed the claim that some fan asked him about it at a con and he said "oh i forgot about that"

that must be where I got that impression from

and honestly i have no reason to believe it is wrong

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this thread has a high frequency of people declaring a plot line has been dropped based on vague impressions of how much story there is left to go

my favorite is someone declaring that the 4th OFA users quirk was a dropped plotline

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I declare the Touya Todoroki plot dropped

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
you know guys I just don't think this AFO thing is really going anywhere

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
We're also in the endgame so I think it's fair to call the traitor thing a dead plotline.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flesnolk posted:

We're also in the endgame so I think it's fair to call the traitor thing a dead plotline.
Now you're going to jinx it.

It would be dramatically apt and hilarious if MHA is what creates a serialized/shared universe situation in Jump comics. Doesn't Vigilantes already dip its toes into this? Could there one day be a crisis on infinite Dekus?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nessus posted:

Now you're going to jinx it.

It would be dramatically apt and hilarious if MHA is what creates a serialized/shared universe situation in Jump comics. Doesn't Vigilantes already dip its toes into this? Could there one day be a crisis on infinite Dekus?

*looks at the fanfics* hope not!

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

My Hero Academia will end soon.

My Hero Gap Year Abroad is about to start.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I mean, Horikoshi will presumably make another manga after this, and there's nothing in the rules that says it can't be a sequel or spinoff. :shrug:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Related to/inspired by the speedscans, but not really spoilery: It feels like social acceptance of mutants improved significantly over the past couple decades in-universe, judging between Vigilantes, the flashbacks in MHA, and current-day MHA.

I'm wondering if the KKK analogue that the League slaughtered in the first chapter of My Villain Academia will resurface. Given how much distrust and disgruntlement towards heroes seem to be building up, I wouldn't be surprised if some of that energy got redirected into anti-mutant sentiment.

I don't really think you can do the Xmen style, Humies stomping on muties face, thing when the quirkless human population is dramatically smaller than then quirk having one and in no apparent privileged position.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Caidin posted:

I don't really think you can do the Xmen style, Humies stomping on muties face, thing when the quirkless human population is dramatically smaller than then quirk having one and in no apparent privileged position.

I mean, I don't think it necessarily has to be quirkless humans to be part of the KKK/Anti-Mutant Group. There's plenty of people in MHA-verse who have quirks but haven't mutated, and from various scenes throughout the main MHA manga we know there's some anti-mutant sentiment residue left over.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MorningMoon posted:

Deku wakes up:

Where are people getting the idea that he's getting the ability to detect when other people are in danger? It seemed to pretty clearly be a spider-sense sorta thing.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I might be forgetting something, but i dont believe AfO can track OfA. I believe Shigaraki was using Ragdoll's search quirk, which they wouldnt have had until then. That search quirk having already been preloaded with like all the protagonists because of said training is a bit of a pickle for the heroes.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Ytlaya posted:

Where are people getting the idea that he's getting the ability to detect when other people are in danger? It seemed to pretty clearly be a spider-sense sorta thing.

The very first time it manifests is chapter 286, immediately after Bakugo gets stabbed, right as Deku goes berserk. The visual effect is a white vertical bolt. We're also shown several static-covered panels of nearby critically injured heroes and the wrecked city. The effect is distinct and out of place with the rest of the panels on the page.

The last time it shows up is when he's lost consciousness after using black whip to help break up Dabi and Shouto. He wakes up and immediately looks for the nearby injured Shouto and confirms the quirk must have awakened.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ytlaya posted:

well for one thing it triggers when Shigaraki got a crit on Bakugo. It also triggered when Gigantomachia was a about to free himself

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh, I must have missed that.

That still sort of implies a short range though, right? Otherwise it would be going crazy constantly due to all the people wrecked by Gigantomachia's rampage.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t think we have a good idea of the limits at all as of yet considering it just awakened. I think mostly people are taking the idea of the quirk as we currently understand it and combining that with the knowledge that it’s been boosted by OfA. I suppose it’s possible that the range isn’t actually that long and that maybe the original version would only have detected threats to the user, and so the power boost is why it could sense Bakugo getting hurt at all.

But on some level I think people like me kind of want it to be more of a double edged sword. Because we know there was something about either the quirk or the user that All Might was reluctant to share, and that would make sense as a guess. Plus it would be especially crippling for Deku as he is and it would be interesting to see how he would cope with that burden and how that would force character development

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hawks ended up doing the same job as his dad but has a big enough heart to admire Twice

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's also funny to make Ubi open world jokes on it. If it's remotely what we think it is then someone could mod Deku into like Watchdogs or something for a joke.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Pages 12-13 are kinda interesting but I'm not sure of the full context there.

I think the darkened people in the crowd are probably just people who aren't impressed with heroes anymore, but the guy hiding the gear- maybe a PLA sympathizer?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Viz is up
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-299/chapter/21938?action=read

Still giggling at surgery to look dead
the inking is far less crushed here. For sure Hawks' wings are growing back on that last panel

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 31, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fabricated posted:

I think the darkened people in the crowd are probably just people who aren't impressed with heroes anymore, but the guy hiding the gear- maybe a PLA sympathizer?
That’s my assumption, too. Which makes Jeanist’s instant reaction that he needs to make sure to solve the problem himself (both in the immediate and the larger lack of heroes in the neighborhood) all the more :unsmith:. For how much of Hero society has failed or forgotten about the little problems and the common people, Jeanist is still there, being a truly good, fabulously-dressed man.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I was thinking he was one of the local heroes that quit, still holding onto some of his hero equipment. He looked pretty ashamed of himself for not helping out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rhonne posted:

I was thinking he was one of the local heroes that quit, still holding onto some of his hero equipment. He looked pretty ashamed of himself for not helping out.

This is what I was thinking too

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's also very plausible, yeah. Maybe this week's trivia will clear it up?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I definitely got the vibe he was, if not a direct PLA sympathizer, an otherwise normal guy who thought about taking things into his own hands.
Who needs heroes anyway because I have my own way of fighting back

This is the whole playbook of the PLA, to cause distrust in the hero system and go hey maybe YOU can do things andalsomaybedieforourcausewhenwerevolt

I feel like next chapter on our aftermath tour (maybe we'll shift focus to the Big Three and the UA teachers for an update there?) we're going to have more stain sympathizers. Heroes not doing their duty just due to fear, criticism &/or backlash, to the point where entire agencies in a town are running off, is probably going to get more people on his side and that'll cause more shisms.

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams

PMush Perfect posted:

That's also very plausible, yeah. Maybe this week's trivia will clear it up?

The translator had to lock their account after getting harassed - again - by MHA fans upset with a translation thing. There may not be trivia this week.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SeanGaffney posted:

The translator had to lock their account after getting harassed - again - by MHA fans upset with a translation thing.
Why are fans like this? :cripes:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SeanGaffney posted:

The translator had to lock their account after getting harassed - again - by MHA fans upset with a translation thing. There may not be trivia this week.

What was the thing?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I thought the thing on his arm was some kind of cast or something, so someone who was directly affected by Gigantomachia's rampage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So on page 2 he was lying to his father that he didn't do anything -- on page 18 we see what Hawks actually did when he went into town.

So what I think happened when Hawks finally went to the police is that one of them recognized who young Keigo actually was and tipped off the Safety Commission who took over the case.