Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

No the really shocking thing from that article is this:

"Clare enjoying a pamper day with her eldest daughter - but perfume now smells revolting to her"

What the gently caress is even going on here?

Is her eldest daughter a Real Doll?

Did they take that picture through some uncanny valley filter in their favorite video chat app?

If you have Facebook and ever log in you'll be greeted to endless pictures of heavily filtered faces doing boring things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Pain of Mind posted:

Well, now I am at around 100-101 degrees so it is looking like we are all going to be positive. At least I don't need to sleep on the couch again. Kid pretty efficiently got our house.

RIP, I hope it goes well for you all. Keep an eye on your O2 levels!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nam Taf posted:

RIP, I hope it goes well for you all. Keep an eye on your O2 levels!

It's a good idea after all o2 towers give cancer. Gotta be aware of how high your levels are so you can shield yourself from it.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
That person complaining teachers are doing "union crap" needs to be thrown off a loving bridge.

Every one of my classes is now below 60% attendance less than one month after returning to school. We are not notified, by anyone, when a student in our classes tests positive. The only way we know is if the student emails us and lets us know. Otherwise a kid is just... gone... for 2 weeks. Maybe they went on vacation? Who knows.

Right now they're trying to do second semester schedule changes. My room has 31 desks. I have over 40 kids signed up to show up to study hall tomorrow. The literal response when I said, "Uh, what do I do?" was "Don't worry, a bunch of them will be in quarantine and won't show up." Well then. Sounds like a plan.

BTW still on block schedule, still doing 1 hour 40 minute classes in one room, still can't tell kids to wear masks but HAVE TO insist on them putting the cheap, vision-blocking distraction engines called "desk dividers" at all times. Still provided no PPE of any kind by anyone but what we buy. Still pretending that what's going on is no big deal and nothing's happening, just lots and lots and lots and lots and LOTS of kids taking multi-week vacations for no reason!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Akuma posted:

Oh my god is nothing sacred? Losing sense of taste and smell for a few weeks, that sucks, but making everything smell and taste like literal poo poo indefinitely? Wtf?

quote:

Facebook group with 6,000 members set up by the smell loss charity, AbScent.

Nearly all had started with anosmia arising from Covid-19, and ended up with parosmia.

[...]

Around 65% of people with coronavirus lose their sense of smell and taste and it's estimated that about 10% of those go on to develop a "qualitative olfactory dysfunction", meaning parosmia or a rarer condition, phantosmia, when you smell something that isn't there.

If this is correct, up to 6.5 million of the 100 million who have had Covid-19 worldwide may now be experiencing long-covid parosmia.

Jesus christ. That sounds like one of those situations where burning out the smell receptors sounds like the kinder option.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mithaldu posted:

Jesus christ. That sounds like one of those situations where burning out the smell receptors sounds like the kinder option.

Half way through I was thinking there has to be a better way to deal with this. Like a half mask respirator with the carbon filter for VOCs. It wouldn't work for eating, but the rest of the time filtering out organic compounds could provide some relief.

Akuma posted:

Oh my god is nothing sacred? Losing sense of taste and smell for a few weeks, that sucks, but making everything smell and taste like literal poo poo indefinitely? Wtf?

quote:

"They [parosmics] tell you they feel cut off from their own surroundings, alien. They no longer find any pleasure in eating and lose that reassuring closeness of being able to smell the people they love."

While Clare Freer misses the days when she liked the smell of her husband as he stepped out of the shower, 41-year-old Justin Hyde from Cheltenham has never smelled the scent of his daughter born in March 2020.

Imagine if Biden gets this and is no longer able to enjoy sniffing hair.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Half way through I was thinking there has to be a better way to deal with this. Like a half mask respirator with the carbon filter for VOCs. It wouldn't work for eating, but the rest of the time filtering out organic compounds could provide some relief.
right, for many people this would be an outright disability (imagine trying to hold a strenuous job when you can't even eat properly) and it should be treated with this seriousness. but i don't think it's even known yet if it's a permanent or temporary thing

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

pidan posted:

There is some observational evidence that people who (recently?) got the MMR shot have milder covid:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90266

I don't think we know much more about how and why this is the case. Some people have suspected that this is why Vietnam managed to keep covid in check, they've apparently had a big MMR vaccination effort in the last decades.

Maybe that's why kids seem to not be quite as susceptible? Maybe the ones that really get it bad are the children of anti-vaxxers?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

explosivo posted:

A mutual friend of my GF and mine on Twitter posted a link to a rite-aid covid signup form on their website over the weekend and said they just got an appt and to try and find one nearby with available appts and sign up for one. I tried for a bit and couldn't get one that was available, but about an hour later apparently someone from Rite-Aid caught wind of people using this link to sign up and released a statement saying if you're in PA and signing up from this form, even though it says your appt is scheduled and to show up at that time they're likely not going to give you a vaccine because it's only for people working in hospitals and stuff and the form wasn't supposed to get out.

We're not even out of the first phase and we're already at the point where it's just a free for all signing up where you can and hoping you get an appt. What is the point of different phases and sub phases if we're months into this and still in 1A and it feels like getting one is the same luck as finding a GPU right now, just hope you find a place taking appointments and finish the form before some other jabroni does.

judging by how poo poo's run here you might as well try

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The parosmia thing is interesting, and it's not surprising it isn't well-researched. I ended up with anosmia for a few years following a head injury, and while my sense of smell improbably came back I still deal with some level of hyposmia a lot of the time. I dug into the research to learn more about it, and it is really thin on the ground. If there isn't much research on anosmia and hyposmia, then it stands to reason there'd been even less on parosmia.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

JonathonSpectre posted:

That person complaining teachers are doing "union crap" needs to be thrown off a loving bridge.

Every one of my classes is now below 60% attendance less than one month after returning to school. We are not notified, by anyone, when a student in our classes tests positive. The only way we know is if the student emails us and lets us know. Otherwise a kid is just... gone... for 2 weeks. Maybe they went on vacation? Who knows.

Right now they're trying to do second semester schedule changes. My room has 31 desks. I have over 40 kids signed up to show up to study hall tomorrow. The literal response when I said, "Uh, what do I do?" was "Don't worry, a bunch of them will be in quarantine and won't show up." Well then. Sounds like a plan.

BTW still on block schedule, still doing 1 hour 40 minute classes in one room, still can't tell kids to wear masks but HAVE TO insist on them putting the cheap, vision-blocking distraction engines called "desk dividers" at all times. Still provided no PPE of any kind by anyone but what we buy. Still pretending that what's going on is no big deal and nothing's happening, just lots and lots and lots and lots and LOTS of kids taking multi-week vacations for no reason!

Where are you? Why go to the trouble of desk dividers if nothing is going on?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I want to point out something that people have forgotten or seem to be glossing over:

For people in a household getting it or not getting it. from some studies it seems like most people spread it to 1 or 0 other people, and under 20% of people are superspreaders who seem to be able to spread it to most/many people they come in contact with A lot of husbands/wives end up not getting it! So it's normal to not get it from someone in your household, not a freak occurrence. Here are some links. If those are bad sources or I'm wrong, let me know please.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-superspreading-events-drive-most-covid-19-spread1/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/07/18/coronavirus-superspreading-events-drive-pandemic/

Stunt_enby posted:

lmfao get owned plaguebitch

I know SA is big on always assuming the worst about posters, but this poster literally said they were travelling for work. I am assuming they work in food services or something, or had to meet clients in a restaurant after flying to meet them. Not everyone can be like 'lol I'm staying home instead of not working'

edit: I looked up San Jose's policy on leftover vaccines, and here it's like 'we'll call someone who does actually qualify and make sure they get it'. I'm sure there are endless lists of over 65's here in San Jose / Santa Clara County.

redreader fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 2, 2021

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are most states being super strict with their rollout phases? In Texas we're currently in stage 1A (almost anybody whose job can be defined as "healthcare") and 1B (65+ for any reason, 16-64 with certain health conditions). This sounds pretty strict, but 1B also includes anybody with a BMI greater than 30, which is about 1/3rd of the state.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
I have kind of a dumb question. Are active duty military people getting the vaccine? (In the US)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

FiskTireBoy posted:

I have kind of a dumb question. Are active duty military people getting the vaccine? (In the US)

Almost certainly, yes. The rollout at the VA is a different matter.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

compshateme85 posted:

Where are you? Why go to the trouble of desk dividers if nothing is going on?

Florida, because someone's cousin can get the contract and sell them to the district at a markup and they can be pointed at when someone says, "What are you doing?"

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Lol my fever went away days ago but I can only smell vague sea breeze scent and nothing else ever. Stuck my face in a garbage can, nothing but slight sea breeze. Taste is about ~10% what it should be. Water tastes disgusting somehow though. Like it’s rancid.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I hope Trump is never able to enjoy the fetid scent of hamberders and Filet-ofish sandwiches again

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

redreader posted:

I want to point out something that people have forgotten or seem to be glossing over:

For people in a household getting it or not getting it. from some studies it seems like most people spread it to 1 or 0 other people, and under 20% of people are superspreaders who seem to be able to spread it to most/many people they come in contact with A lot of husbands/wives end up not getting it! So it's normal to not get it from someone in your household, not a freak occurrence. Here are some links. If those are bad sources or I'm wrong, let me know please.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-superspreading-events-drive-most-covid-19-spread1/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/07/18/coronavirus-superspreading-events-drive-pandemic/
You're misunderstanding what's happening here, it's not that with certain people it's more infectious or that most people are only infectious enough to infect 1 person. Infecting0 or 1 people is just the R0, the overall average number of infections per infected person; if it's 1 or more then the virus isn't going away. If a lot of people don't infect anyone because they isolate, then naturally you need some events where lots of people get it from 1 person to bring the average to above 1.

It's the means by which an infected person interacts with other people that decides if they're a superspreader or not - if they're going to large gatherings where a lot of people are in close proximity for a long period of time, that's what makes a superspreader event, not some quirk of somebody's physiology or whatever. You're a superspreader if you come into contact with a lot of people while you're contagious.

Did you read the articles you posted? Because that's explained at length.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 2, 2021

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

FiskTireBoy posted:

I'm a contractor, but everybody on post was contacted two weeks ago to see if we wanted the vaccine. It's not mandatory for anyone yet, even enlisted personnel, due to none having complete regulatory approval (?). Haven't heard back yet. I'm also in the local health department queue but haven't heard from them either.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

“Despite the immediate existential threat posed by a global pandemic, we’re inclined to see how this plays out. Ya know, be sensible about it.”

-are military

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

gay picnic defence posted:

I hope Trump is never able to enjoy the fetid scent of hamberders and Filet-ofish sandwiches again
*takes bite*

"this mcrib tastes like poo poo"

*takes bite*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Trump got it worst of all: he can no longer taste piss

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Piss blindness is a lesser-known covid symptom.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Almost certainly, yes. The rollout at the VA is a different matter.

The national vaccine tracker has DoD as a separate entity with the other federal agencies, so I assume yes.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

wa27 posted:

Our health department had to give 400 doses to teachers because they didn't have enough old people lined up and everyone on facebook is pissed.

Lol at how people can get pissed at the vaccine reaching 400 people who are at high risk of transmitting Covid to kids if they catch it.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 2, 2021

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

JonathonSpectre posted:

Florida, because someone's cousin can get the contract and sell them to the district at a markup and they can be pointed at when someone says, "What are you doing?"

What you're seeing is happening in the slightly more sane states too. I'm in week 4 of my COVID recovery that I almost certainly got from teaching (as my family all works at/attends the same school) and we go no where else. Masks are required here but keeping any age group of kids in them much less on properly is a complete gamble. ALSO, they eat lunch at school so why even bother with masks after allowing that. No one gets to know who is out or why until a weekly report comes out on Sunday and that's only a raw number of confirmed cases and suspected cases in quarantine. There was no contact tracing until over a week from when I reported my positive case. I've been back for a few days now and have had to cover for multiple other teachers and have a hand full of kids that are out with no explanation. When I was cleared to go back to work the kids all asked where I was and I let them know, it was at that time that about a quarter of them told me that they had already had COVID earlier in the year which was news to me since I don't think any were out for the full 10-14 days.

Stay safe.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JonathonSpectre posted:

Half our district's kids are doing 100% online learning and the half that's still coming to school is divided into two groups (that come on different days of the week). So there aren't that many kids physically in a classroom on any day of the week.

My son goes to a school that I don't know anyone at and just got sent home to quarantine for two weeks due to an exposure. Exposure being defined as being within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes that tested positive for covid based on seating charts.

The problem I'm having is the school won't tell me when the think he was exposed. It doesn't seem plausible that a kid came to school yesterday, got sick, got picked up by dad, taken to the doctor and tested, results came back, school notified, and then the kids who were exposed sent home before school ended that day. Especially since my son says nobody was acting sick, or left the class.

It'd be really helpful to me to know if he got exposed yesterday, or 3 days ago (Friday).

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I love that most businesses have realized they can put ads on plexiglass barriers. Never waste an opportunity.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

spacetoaster posted:

Half our district's kids are doing 100% online learning and the half that's still coming to school is divided into two groups (that come on different days of the week). So there aren't that many kids physically in a classroom on any day of the week.

My son goes to a school that I don't know anyone at and just got sent home to quarantine for two weeks due to an exposure. Exposure being defined as being within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes that tested positive for covid based on seating charts.

The problem I'm having is the school won't tell me when the think he was exposed. It doesn't seem plausible that a kid came to school yesterday, got sick, got picked up by dad, taken to the doctor and tested, results came back, school notified, and then the kids who were exposed sent home before school ended that day. Especially since my son says nobody was acting sick, or left the class.

It'd be really helpful to me to know if he got exposed yesterday, or 3 days ago (Friday).

A teacher blew up our (pre)school. Apparently they were home sick for almost a week before anyone was notified, and even then only their class was notified and not the whole school. They had a negative test and then a positive a week later and no one was notified until the positive. Right now every class has positives and is shutting down. As mentioned previously, one of our kids in that class tested positive BEFORE we had the positive result from patient zero, and could have still been going to school for days if we were not voluntarily keeping them home due to the mild fever. Siblings of kids in that class were still allowed into other classes until the positive test result came as well. The virus made 2 jumps from teacher -> kid -> to my entire family within 3 days of learning about the first infection, so it almost had to have been circulating longer than that. It just seems odd to me that someone in close contact with a ton of people staying home sick with classic Covid symptoms does not lead to any sort of precautionary measures until the positive test.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pain of Mind posted:

A teacher blew up our (pre)school. Apparently they were home sick for almost a week before anyone was notified, and even then only their class was notified and not the whole school. They had a negative test and then a positive a week later and no one was notified until the positive. Right now every class has positives and is shutting down. As mentioned previously, one of our kids in that class tested positive BEFORE we had the positive result from patient zero, and could have still been going to school for days if we were not voluntarily keeping them home due to the mild fever. Siblings of kids in that class were still allowed into other classes until the positive test result came as well. The virus made 2 jumps from teacher -> kid -> to my entire family within 3 days of learning about the first infection, so it almost had to have been circulating longer than that. It just seems odd to me that someone in close contact with a ton of people staying home sick with classic Covid symptoms does not lead to any sort of precautionary measures until the positive test.

It's so very hit or miss (with regards to how school admins react).

My neighbor's daughter is also on two weeks quarantine because a fellow cheerleader got a headache and body ache. Based on those being a symptoms of covid the school put the entire team on two weeks. The girl felt fine the next day, and even tested negative, but the school is still keeping them all quarantined for two weeks.

We've got some administrators shutting their schools down, and some keeping them open. It's just the wild west right now.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Pain of Mind posted:

A teacher blew up our (pre)school.

At first I read this as "destroyed their workplace because they were fed up with the unsafe conditions" and didn't even flinch...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pain of Mind posted:

It just seems odd to me that someone in close contact with a ton of people staying home sick with classic Covid symptoms does not lead to any sort of precautionary measures until the positive test.

I mean, yeah, but also the initial symptoms of covid can be similar to the initial symptoms of a cold. And I assume the school plague cauldrons are still passing around colds frequently. If someone has "flu-like symptoms" and tests negative for Covid and Flu, it probably seems reasonable to assume it is merely a cold. There isn't much education about the dangers of false negatives.

"The governor says open'er up, and we can't do that if we shut down every time one of these little monsters gets a cold so...."

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Tagra posted:

I love that most businesses have realized they can put ads on plexiglass barriers. Never waste an opportunity.

Well my company sent us company branded masks so yes they never do miss an opportunity. They also happen to be the best fitting masks I have so I guess I'm a shameless company shill now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hell, people should be quarantined from school/work if they have the flu.

There is some number that's in the billions of lost money due to workers getting the flu and spreading it around to everyone.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/02/covid-vaccine-pfizer-plans-to-deliver-200-million-doses-to-us-by-may-sooner-than-expected.html
:toot:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

There is some number that's in the billions of lost money due to workers getting the flu and spreading it around to everyone.

Paid sick leave good?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

We could even pay them their regular salary just to stay home if they are sick.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

withak posted:

with love from germany, yes please, loving steal the policies we've been using for decades already :bernin:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Saalkin posted:

Paid sick leave good?

withak posted:

That sounds like wizardry. How would a company possibly pay for an employee to stay home and prevent the rest of their staff from having to stay home and drain money from them that they could have saved by paying the sick person to stay home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
So I get it that it makes sense to give vaccinations to the elderly and medical workers first. They are most likely to have severe symptoms and more likely to catch it in the case of health workers.

But part of me feels like it might make more sense to get the vaccine to as many younger healthy people as possible? Because I can see people in their 30s spreading it a lot more than someone in their 80s. All you have to do is go to any restaurant in my red state and you'll see what I mean.