Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ron Kamonohashi, it's an amazing page imo

the dolphin one got weird and removed enough from reality i feel like the ch1 complaints fall off anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dogsicle posted:

Ron Kamonohashi, it's an amazing page imo

lmao

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, I Tell C is certainly a twist on the detective genre.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mashle oh no a magic immune monster

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008384

Sakamoto Days the amusement park setting has been pretty nice, makes me wonder what's gonna happen next.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008411

Roboco Magu-chan getting a shout out.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008397

Speaking of I picked Magu-chan back up and everyone that's been talking about it in this thread is right, it's so heartwarming now and the dog chapter is emotional rollercoaster. Also Uneras is the best I love this eldritch horror mom that's obsessed with human culture.

Anyways Magu-chan a possible villain maybe?

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008391

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
JJK this week:

*reading*
gently caress yeah Yuta!

*Ending*
Oh poo poo Yuta!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Matsuo (the guy who did Neuro and Assassination Classroom)'s new manga The Elusive Samurai is starting off with an interesting concept, kinda Eyeshield-21-But-Samurai?

The giga-creeper characters are probably showing up a smidge early for my comfort but the man has a style.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Mashle oh no a magic immune monster

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008384

Sakamoto Days the amusement park setting has been pretty nice, makes me wonder what's gonna happen next.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008411

Roboco Magu-chan getting a shout out.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008397

Speaking of I picked Magu-chan back up and everyone that's been talking about it in this thread is right, it's so heartwarming now and the dog chapter is emotional rollercoaster. Also Uneras is the best I love this eldritch horror mom that's obsessed with human culture.

Anyways Magu-chan a possible villain maybe?

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008391

Magu chan is comfort food. :)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just started reading Magu-chan and I like how Magu's interpretation of being an evil overlord is that it's his responsibility to make people want to worship him. He's a very earnest and hard-working evil god.

edit: The art in this reminds me a bit of that manga with the goofy vampire girl. The characters have a similar doofy look to them.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 2, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1357238728377434113?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Those are some fantastic knees.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

outstanding

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/nikonikorich/status/1357318074089705474?s=19

We NEED a roboco anime

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is unironically better than the JJK video it's not even close. I stopped following Robocco a couple chapters in but I might need to go back to it now.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

including the prison is what really brings it over the top for me

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Legit the only, only thing I'd change. Roboco should use the cream on her knees.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ytlaya posted:

I just started reading Magu-chan and I like how Magu's interpretation of being an evil overlord is that it's his responsibility to make people want to worship him. He's a very earnest and hard-working evil god.

edit: The art in this reminds me a bit of that manga with the goofy vampire girl. The characters have a similar doofy look to them.

"Do you want to fight, child?"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I feel like someone in here mentioned Goodnight PunPun a while ago and said it was expensive - there was a reprint of the series recently so it's cheap again.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cloks posted:

I feel like someone in here mentioned Goodnight PunPun a while ago and said it was expensive - there was a reprint of the series recently so it's cheap again.

It's definitely more Seinen than Shonen but who loving cares Goodnight Punpun is a phenomenal manga and everyone should read it. It's one of my favorite manga ever, it may be my number one.

Okay content warning, there's some heavy loving depression and self loathing and suicidal themes. If you're not in a good headspace you may find it relatable but it also may be a bit much.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just popping in to mention I love Mashle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's always a simple answer, and that usually means breakdancing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I did not realize that Spy X Family and Kaiju No. 8 were absolutely demolishing most of the actual physical WSJ books in sales.

Maybe Jump Plus is the future and print is dead.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Mashle is as great as ever this week. Not sure why they didn't just shrink the balloon and inflate it normally, but I'm not complaining.

Witch Watch had a fun first chapter. The love story part could maybe be a bit generic but I like the premise and the characters seem fun. Excited to see where it goes!

Elusive Samurai seems to have established an interesting premise of the three warrior kids having to create openings for the protag to deliver a fatal blow. Could lead to some cool puzzle fights if that's the case. Also looking forward to where this one goes.

Not totally sold on I Tell C yet. Need to see where it goes.

Roboco was fun this week, nothing groundbreaking though.

Magu was cute, and funnier than usual this week

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

CodfishCartographer posted:

Mashle is as great as ever this week. Not sure why they didn't just shrink the balloon and inflate it normally, but I'm not complaining.

If they touched the balloon it would set off the alarm. Making it big and spinning to generate air flow was the only solution they had.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hamelekim posted:

If they touched the balloon it would set off the alarm. Making it big and spinning to generate air flow was the only solution they had.

But couldn't they have just blown into the small broken part? i guess maybe touching ANY part of the contraption could cause the alarm.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

I did not realize that Spy X Family and Kaiju No. 8 were absolutely demolishing most of the actual physical WSJ books in sales.

Even though its story isn't anything particularly original, I like Kaiju No. 8 so far. It's kind of neat having an adult protagonist who is around my age, and I like the dynamic between the protagonist and his younger colleagues (with the main two younger characters, the guy and the talented girl, being pretty likable).

The one thing that is a little dumb and makes it difficult to suspend disbelief is that the protagonist is apparently the only guy who knows information about Kaiju types and anatomy. You'd think that the Kaiju hunter people would either learn that stuff or have some sort of support operators that inform them about it during a conflict.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that part's weird. I think it works if he's just talking to other recruits since why would they know? but doesn't seem like that's what's happening all the time

also tried to read that i tell c series and I don't think I like it but interrodate is a pretty good pun ngl

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea that part's weird. I think it works if he's just talking to other recruits since why would they know? but doesn't seem like that's what's happening all the time

also tried to read that i tell c series and I don't think I like it but interrodate is a pretty good pun ngl

"Blight in shining armor" is pretty good too, though I can't decide if "blight knight" woulda been funnier

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm rereading Kaiju No. 8 and I don't think it's that crazy that his superpower is being really good at analyzing Kaiju. As far as I can tell, one thing about the Kaiju is that they're semi-unique; they're broadly organized into specific categories, sure, but they've got unique properties and weakpoints. It's why burst rounds are from Kaiju that emerged in 1970, and freeze rounds from one in 1988. There simply haven't been any Kaiju since then that've had those specific properties.

With that in mind, Kafka's ability to do efficient combat autopsies makes sense as a really valuable skill to have. Support ops from outside the zone might be able to generically tell you where weakpoints generally are, but he can give exact specifics. Not to mention anything else important, like the reproductive organs he found on the fungal kaiju.

Granted it does seem a little silly that they've never considered fielding a soldier who can do that sort of autopsy though. I suppose the simplest answer is that it's too intensive, given the general lack of people who can actually use the combat suits, and they're just constantly too shortstaffed to consider spending even more time training recruits to also accurately dissect Kaiju mid battle. But hey, if you've got a recruit that has 10+ years experience doing that...

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

People mentioned Assassination Classroom in the previous page and how it was an excellent manga with only one serious misstep in how it handled an abusive parent arc. If you're sort of curious about it, the official translation is about to get into that arc.

As for Kaiju No. 8, Kafka's experience helping him in analyzing monster weaknesses is probably the only thing that indicates he's a protag in his 30s. Otherwise, you can make him the same age as the rest of the new recruits and it doesn't really change anything at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arzaac posted:

I'm rereading Kaiju No. 8 and I don't think it's that crazy that his superpower is being really good at analyzing Kaiju. As far as I can tell, one thing about the Kaiju is that they're semi-unique; they're broadly organized into specific categories, sure, but they've got unique properties and weakpoints. It's why burst rounds are from Kaiju that emerged in 1970, and freeze rounds from one in 1988. There simply haven't been any Kaiju since then that've had those specific properties.

With that in mind, Kafka's ability to do efficient combat autopsies makes sense as a really valuable skill to have. Support ops from outside the zone might be able to generically tell you where weakpoints generally are, but he can give exact specifics. Not to mention anything else important, like the reproductive organs he found on the fungal kaiju.

Granted it does seem a little silly that they've never considered fielding a soldier who can do that sort of autopsy though. I suppose the simplest answer is that it's too intensive, given the general lack of people who can actually use the combat suits, and they're just constantly too shortstaffed to consider spending even more time training recruits to also accurately dissect Kaiju mid battle. But hey, if you've got a recruit that has 10+ years experience doing that...

After thinking about it a bit, one plausible explanation is that figuring out a Kaiju's anatomy requires a combination of knowledge about Kaiju anatomy and being up close to them yourself. So the protagonist both has a lot of experience seeing Kaiju innards and, as a soldier, is in a position to be up close to them and quickly infer their characteristics from his extensive anatomy experience (whereas some hypothetical support officer would only have video footage to work with).

amigolupus posted:

People mentioned Assassination Classroom in the previous page and how it was an excellent manga with only one serious misstep in how it handled an abusive parent arc. If you're sort of curious about it, the official translation is about to get into that arc.

As for Kaiju No. 8, Kafka's experience helping him in analyzing monster weaknesses is probably the only thing that indicates he's a protag in his 30s. Otherwise, you can make him the same age as the rest of the new recruits and it doesn't really change anything at all.

He comes off different socially as a result of his age and generally seems more mature. Like he is generally very chill about his interactions with these young adults in a way that is very different from how the young adults interact with each other. Kinda reminds me of the dynamic from that webtoon about the guy who is given a pill that transforms him into a teenager and goes back to high school ("Re-something" I think?).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Re:Life.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Magu chan was pretty funny. I'm not a big fan of uneras, but I do like gods/higher beings making fun of humans.

Sakamoto: Meh.

Roboco: Usual insanity. Though I Really expected Gorilla to tag in for Roboco.

Undead Unluck: I didn't like it at first, but I'm really digging all the side characters.

Witch Watch gave me some early Bleach vibes.

I just binged Elusive Samurai. Seems fun enough. I like the art. Though it has some severe child predator vibes going on. I don't mind the enemy demons doing that, they're allowed to be freaky. But the caretaker freaks me out.

Not sure how I Feel about Tell c. It's very messy to read.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Problem with I Tell C is how it tries to play cutesy with violating suspect rights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's "cops will do whatever the gently caress they want with no consequences", the manga.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Read the first chapter of Witch Watch. It feels... Generic. It's not bad, it's just that it doesn't stand out in any way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i expected more from a comedy by the sket dance guy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i expected more from a comedy by the sket dance guy.

Is it even really going to be a comedy? This chapter was definitely a romcom, but it also seems to be setting up battle manga elements for future storylines (Ogre Qigong, the impending danger). If it doesn't get cancelled early, it will probably end up making the same Cerebus Syndrome shift as Reborn or Negima.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Blockhouse posted:

Those 2 don’t have traditional print books in Japan?

It’s good to know that Kaiju No.8 is selling good though because I’m absolutely loving it and I would hate for it to be cancelled anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So having finally finished Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time I was curious, is Hunter X Hunter any good? If so, should I watch the 1999 anime, the 2011 anime, or just read the manga?