Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Some Goon posted:

AM4 needs a different mounting bracket, otherwise it would be fine, though unless your case has access to the back of the socket, changing coolers requires removing the whole mobo.

Aw nuts. Thanks for the info, Some Goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So I'm getting close to having the money to upgrade the CPU (a now 7 year old AMD 6300-FX) in my PC and I'm starting to look at how prices for stuff is moving and it's making me think twice about the Ryzen 5 3600 I had planned to put in it with how cheap some of the Intel i5's have gotten in comparison. So my main question is for 1080p and VR stuff on the gaming side and some occasional video editing, am I likely to notice a difference if I go with an i5 10400F instead of the Ryzen? The i5 is about £50 cheaper right now (and the equivalent motherboard to my planned Ryzen one another £10 cheaper) and that would make room in the budget either for faster RAM or a bigger SSD. This is being paired to a GTX 1060 GPU incidentally because I'm not going anywhere near the GPU market right now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

njsykora posted:

So I'm getting close to having the money to upgrade the CPU (a now 7 year old AMD 6300-FX) in my PC and I'm starting to look at how prices for stuff is moving and it's making me think twice about the Ryzen 5 3600 I had planned to put in it with how cheap some of the Intel i5's have gotten in comparison. So my main question is for 1080p and VR stuff on the gaming side and some occasional video editing, am I likely to notice a difference if I go with an i5 10400F instead of the Ryzen? The i5 is about £50 cheaper right now (and the equivalent motherboard to my planned Ryzen one another £10 cheaper) and that would make room in the budget either for faster RAM or a bigger SSD. This is being paired to a GTX 1060 GPU incidentally because I'm not going anywhere near the GPU market right now.

Assuming you mean 1080p60 (the gpu is more likely the limiting factor on the vr side) it's completely irrelevant, both can do it handily. You need to be pushing over 100fps to see any differences between current CPUs. Do note though that you need a Z-series board from Intel to use fast ram.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Some Goon posted:

Assuming you mean 1080p60 (the gpu is more likely the limiting factor on the vr side) it's completely irrelevant, both can do it handily. You need to be pushing over 100fps to see any differences between current CPUs. Do note though that you need a Z-series board from Intel to use fast ram.

Yeah I mean 1080p60 and the motherboard I'm looking at is a MSI Z490, though I'm more likely to stick to the planned 3600 RAM and spend the money on a bigger SSD, then my headset is an Oculus Quest 2 so I'm have no reason to be pushing over 90fps anyway.

BurtRynldsmustache
Mar 11, 2012

I understand computer parts are hard to find but when it does come available I will be there.

Hi all,

I am wondering if you Tech Goons can aid me in building a gaming PC. I am not sure what I need and I am a PC building virgin. I was hoping if I post my budget someone could aid me by building (giving me a list of components) the best PC within that budget.

I am fairly certain I can assemble the PC on my own as I have added components to my current PC without issue. Anyway without further adieu I am from Canada and I am looking to spend between 1500-2000. I will need a monitor and a keyboard/mouse as the PC I have is older than dirt.

Thanks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BurtRynldsmustache posted:

I understand computer parts are hard to find but when it does come available I will be there.

Hi all,

I am wondering if you Tech Goons can aid me in building a gaming PC. I am not sure what I need and I am a PC building virgin. I was hoping if I post my budget someone could aid me by building (giving me a list of components) the best PC within that budget.

I am fairly certain I can assemble the PC on my own as I have added components to my current PC without issue. Anyway without further adieu I am from Canada and I am looking to spend between 1500-2000. I will need a monitor and a keyboard/mouse as the PC I have is older than dirt.

Thanks.

:frogsiren: IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE, READ THIS: :frogsiren:
When you post, tell us the following:
  • What country are you in?
  • What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
  • What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?

BurtRynldsmustache
Mar 11, 2012

What country are you in?
I live in Canada

What are you using the system for?
I would like to build a gaming PC

What's your budget?
Budget of $1500-$2000 Canadian
I will need a monitor and mouse/keyboard

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?
I will not be using it for professional work.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
I really don't know how to answer this. I just want the best graphics I can get for my budget.

BurtRynldsmustache fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 6, 2021

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Tell someone who hasn't put together a PC in 20 years what he's being stupid about.

What country are you in? UK
What are you using the system for? Gaming (I mainly play old games on Steam with friends rn, as well as Civ VI on lowest settings. I'd like to check out the free Epic Games I've got, especially GTA5, but don't care about playing on low/med settings) and I've just started editing videos. Currently my only PC is a laptop with a 4th gen i3, so anything will be an improvement.
What's your budget? Technically I could spend up to £700 but I'd rather not, and especially don't want to pay spiking graphics card prices if avoidable.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? None really. I will probably keep editing (15 min 1080p) hobby video projects (so far in kdenlive and Blender, but will probably switch to DaVinci Resolve as everyone seems to agree its the best.)
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I have a cheap 27" 1080p monitor that I don't want to replace as it seems fine to me (75hz, 4ms response.) I haven't played PC games with any regularity for 15 years & don't want to spend a ton of money getting casually back into it!

Here's an idea of a build I'm thinking about. I'm considering putting it in a used/old case to save money but maybe shouldn't
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£299.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME A320M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£64.38 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£74.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£86.63 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Corsair CV 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£37.98 @ Currys PC World Business)
Total: £562.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-06 21:12 GMT+0000

I can get the APU and motherboard bundled here for £200:

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-5-3400g-quad-core-4.2ghz-vega-11-graphics-asus-b450m-k-motherboard-cpu-bundle.html

Then the rest is £264, or say £300 if I get a cheap case, so total about £500.

So I don't really know what I'm talking about but the motherboard looks like a potential weak link to me (I'm going to need HDMI or preferably Displayport - do I just buy a supercheap graphics card? And I don't know how much this board limits my upgrade options in the future.) Anything else? TIA goons!

EDIT: I think I got confused somewhere and linked 2 different motherboards, sorry!

Al2001 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 6, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

:frogsiren: IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE, READ THIS: :frogsiren:

This seems unnecessarily confrontational, the poster did answer basically all of these questions and it's obvious they didn't know too much about resolutions etc.

BurtRynldsmustache posted:

Hi all,

With monitors you're looking at 1080p, 1440p (2k) or 4k. 1080p is fine but old, 1440p is the new standard and 4k monitors are coming down in price but especially for gaming purposes are still very high end and niche and require a much bigger budget than yours to drive.

1440p monitors are regarded as the gaming 'sweet spot', and they generally come with high refresh rates (144hz +) so this is what I'd recommend for you. Refresh rate refers to how many times the picture on the screen can update within a second. This translates to a much smoother experience. For gaming this means that you need a beefier GPU to push out enough FPS to match the monitor, however thanks to various technologies it doesn't matter if you can't hit the refresh rate because the monitor will adapt to whatever it's being fed.

Here's a very rough quick list as a starting point for you. If you want a decent PC, monitor and peripherals you'll need to spend all of your budget. I went with the 3060ti, for which I googled the CAD rrp but whether they're remotely findable at that price I don't know.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Al2001 posted:

So I don't really know what I'm talking about but the motherboard looks like a potential weak link to me (I'm going to need HDMI or preferably Displayport - do I just buy a supercheap graphics card? And I don't know how much this board limits my upgrade options in the future.) Anything else? TIA goons!

Yes that was my thoughts when I saw that board. Given your use case the integrated graphics in the 3400G are absolutely sufficient, you can find youtube videos of people playing GTAV at 1080p with one and it runs great. I just specced a similar build for a friend and found this was the cheapest b450 chipset motherboard with a HDMI and DP out. If you're having trouble finding the 3400G in the UK at a decent price check ebay.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 6, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It is astonishingly hard to create a Windows installer USB stick without access to Windows. I had to install Linux, install a virtual machine manager, then install Windows in a virtual machine, plug my USB stick into my computer, pass the USB device through the virtual machine into windows, and then use the windows creation kit to make a bootable USB for a Windows install.

Just writing the iso to the USB stick does not allow it to actually install Windows because the windows installer expects several partitions with very discrete and unique file structures that are for some reason not written into the ISO and no boot sector is included in the iso so you would have to manually create it if you're not using the windows tool.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

What country are you in? Australia
What are you using the system for? Gaming, shitposting
What's your budget? Cost is not necessarily an issue
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? See below

So my main goal here is find out whether I need a whole new system or just an upgrade in order to be able to handle a Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor which I'm currently lusting after.

My current system was bought pre-built in 2016, a 1080 package.
It's a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 mainboard with an Intel core i7-6700K processor and a be quiet! case (struggling to find the model details) and power supply (model number e10-6M-600W)

I'm guessing that a 30xx series card is going to be required for the super-ultra-mega-absurd-wide gaming at high refresh rates (up to 240Hz!) that the G9 potentially enables and I'm attracted to the combination of a 3090 (partially just based on the availability) and the monitor for feeling like I'll have a system relevant for the next 4-5 years (my current system has handled everything I've thrown at it perfectly but I want to go ultrawide).

Is my mainboard/processor/power supply package going to need to be entirely upgraded to handle those two components?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

This seems unnecessarily confrontational, the poster did answer basically all of these questions and it's obvious they didn't know too much about resolutions etc.

With monitors you're looking at 1080p, 1440p (2k) or 4k. 1080p is fine but old, 1440p is the new standard and 4k monitors are coming down in price but especially for gaming purposes are still very high end and niche and require a much bigger budget than yours to drive.

1440p monitors are regarded as the gaming 'sweet spot', and they generally come with high refresh rates (144hz +) so this is what I'd recommend for you. Refresh rate refers to how many times the picture on the screen can update within a second. This translates to a much smoother experience. For gaming this means that you need a beefier GPU to push out enough FPS to match the monitor, however thanks to various technologies it doesn't matter if you can't hit the refresh rate because the monitor will adapt to whatever it's being fed.

Here's a very rough quick list as a starting point for you. If you want a decent PC, monitor and peripherals you'll need to spend all of your budget. I went with the 3060ti, for which I googled the CAD rrp but whether they're remotely findable at that price I don't know.

This is a good build, but that monitor is probably wayyyyy overkill for what he's looking at. Also doesn't have a mouse/keyboard built into pricing. Some minor adjustments.

PCBUILD posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($274.75 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($113.99 @ PC-Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($550.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($112.70 @ Vuugo)
Monitor: *ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ PC-Canada)
Keyboard: *Corsair K68 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy Wired Optical Mouse ($39.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1956.38
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-06 17:37 EST-0500

You may be able to get a better rec in the monitor thread, but that's a fairly well rated IPS 27" 1440p 144hz monitor (IMO the specs you'd want). Also has freesync which is nice. Other recs might get you a better monitor, or a better price, or both.

Keyboard/mouse is whatever, but both are super solid options. I can highly recommend both.

Get windows from SA Mart for $15.

If you have any flex in your budget, I'd go for a 3070 GPU, then a 5600x CPU, in that order.
Make sure you buy a mouse pad. Consider if you need a headset/speakers.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Are the Micro Center prebuilds garbage? That might be my only hope now in getting a 5900x/3080 system. And I have to buy 2 since my wife expects gaming parity these days.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

This is a good build, but that monitor is probably wayyyyy overkill for what he's looking at. Also doesn't have a mouse/keyboard built into pricing. Some minor adjustments.

This is all sound advice and I just went for the first 1440p 144hz monitor I saw as a placeholder but yeah definitely smart to save some money there to cover the other things they need. I didn't pick out a KB/M because those are up to personal taste so the poster needs to do some research of their own there imo

Chadzok posted:

Is my mainboard/processor/power supply package going to need to be entirely upgraded to handle those two components?

Yes.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Are the Micro Center prebuilds garbage? That might be my only hope now in getting a 5900x/3080 system. And I have to buy 2 since my wife expects gaming parity these days.

For gaming there's really no need to go for the 5900x, the 5600x is the best value gaming CPU by far. We're talking low single digit fps difference in most games across the whole Zen 3 stack.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ghostinmyshell posted:

I've seen the spec sheets on them and they're actually really solid where it matters. If you're curious you can actually read the specs list and it'll give you all the details. Your only issue might be overkill in terms of what you'll need for CPU and the overall cost being high, but the parts quality is pretty solid.

Of topic, but I have a GTX 1080 Zotac AMP Extreme I may sell, but I'm not sure I have the original box and its materials so I have no idea how much I can sell it for now since the sold ones kn Ebay have the full set.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yes that was my thoughts when I saw that board. Given your use case the integrated graphics in the 3400G are absolutely sufficient, you can find youtube videos of people playing GTAV at 1080p with one and it runs great. I just specced a similar build for a friend and found this was the cheapest b450 chipset motherboard with a HDMI and DP out. If you're having trouble finding the 3400G in the UK at a decent price check ebay.

Thanks. Getting hold of the 3400G for a reasonable price is proving a challenge. There are only a few ebay auctions and they're all around £130 and rising. CeX have it listed for £130 but sold out, and with them it'd be pot luck whether the fan/heatsink is included I imagine.

I'm tempted to just grab this from CCL even though it's arguably throwing ~£50 down the drain (3-year warranty though.)

They also have a pretty sweet deal on 32GB 3200MHz RAM.

Al2001 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 7, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Al2001 posted:

Thanks. Getting hold of the 3400G for a reasonable price is proving a challenge. There are only a few ebay auctions and they're all around £130 and rising. CeX have it listed for £130 but sold out, and with them it'd be pot luck whether the fan/heatsink is included I imagine.

I'm tempted to just grab this from CCL even though it's arguably throwing ~£50 down the drain (3-year warranty though.)

They also have a pretty sweet deal on 32GB 3200MHz RAM.

Honestly that's not the worst deal. If you were buying both separately at RRP it would come to ~£200, and from a quick check the 3400G looks even more scarce than when I scouted for one for my friend to order. It's a decent quality motherboard rather than the poo poo that's usually packed in with these bundles, and it does everything you'd need it to. For your use case though 32GB of RAM is totally unnecessary and I'd stick with your original choice and save some money there. Microsoft Flight Sim is the only game that exists that even uses more than 16GB and you're not going to be playing that on an APU.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

Post the build you’re looking at for the best info from people here. Knowing micro center they’re probably fine, and if you have the cash to flush out 2x 5900x/3080 prebuilts my guess is you can afford to change whatever is poo poo in the box.

The GPUs are hard to find, but the 5600x is available pretty regularly.

5900x is crazy overkill. 5800x is MAYBE worth it for slight future proofing. But if it were me I’d probably just jump on whichever was available.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

ghostinmyshell posted:

They should be fine.

Just to add some detail to the other points - Prebuilds can be bad in a couple directions, generally speaking. They can be overpriced, or they can use weird proprietary poo poo that makes it useful as a solid object and not as a modular machine, which is a big reason to buy a desktop in the first place (Dell is the biggest offender for both these). Microcenter isn't big enough to do anything too weird with their builds, so you end up with machines you can fix up as you see fit in the future. The price disparity between build-your-own and a pre-built machine has been whittling down for a while now, and the fact that it's really hard to get some of this hardware outside of a stand alone obviously pushes that price advantage even further down the priority list. I suppose literal poor build quality can hypothetically be an issue, but computers are sort of hard to gently caress up. If good parts go in and the thing turns on, there aren't really corners that could've been cut to make the machine worse. At least, not stuff you couldn't notice yourself, like airflow quality.

Also, it can be nice to have a physical place to take your machine if it starts acting up. It seems like the quality of the stores varies wildly, but having the option is probably better than not.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Post the build you’re looking at for the best info from people here. Knowing micro center they’re probably fine, and if you have the cash to flush out 2x 5900x/3080 prebuilts my guess is you can afford to change whatever is poo poo in the box.

The GPUs are hard to find, but the 5600x is available pretty regularly.

5900x is crazy overkill. 5800x is MAYBE worth it for slight future proofing. But if it were me I’d probably just jump on whichever was available.

To add to this, the only real components that I've seen that I'd maybe change in the Microcenter builds are the PSU and the cooling since I couldn't find info on the so it's possible they may be proprietary. But even then those are not hard things to change. But yeah like Bowman said, if good parts went in and it turns on then you're fine.

Reverend Joshua
Jul 1, 2007
My hypocrisy knows no bounds
Fallen Rib
I ordered all the parts off of NewEgg (just to simplify things, etc.) and everything arrived quickly, with a few extra days wait for the storage of all things. The build came together with minimal problems and I'm quite happy with it. I will say that this case probably isn't the best choice for a first-time builder because it's a tight fit and the single case fan gave me some concern regarding temps. Both of those issues are things I'm not experienced enough with to be winging it, but that's a failure on my part in terms of research (and Some Goon was correct in that I was fine with the front open until I was able to pick up some extra fans at MicroCenter). I've also learned that I probably should have selected a different mobo than the B450 Tomahawk, but everything works properly and I'm happy with it so it's part of the learning experience.

Again, thanks to Some Goon, Butterfly Valley, and FreeKillB for their assistance as well as LodgeNorth for quickly supplying the Win10Pro key.

Reverend Joshua posted:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/txPDfP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.94 @ ModMyMods)
Total: $708.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-23 10:37 EST-0500

Comments, suggestions (especially with regards to video cards)?

Thanks to Butterfly Valley and FreeKillB for their initial replies.

Reverend Joshua fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 7, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Question, besides pure unfiltered Flex, is there any reason to buy a 3090? This is assuming the current issues stay since the scalping mark-up on the 3080's is so impossibly hosed, it actually makes these cards look enticing viable by comparison. With that asked, is ShopBLT a good place to buy from? Ditto for Tiger Direct?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

Question, besides pure unfiltered Flex, is there any reason to buy a 3090? This is assuming the current issues stay since the scalping mark-up on the 3080's is so impossibly hosed, it actually makes these cards look enticing viable by comparison. With that asked, is ShopBLT a good place to buy from? Ditto for Tiger Direct?

3090 is about a 15%-20% increase over the 3080 in gaming performance, which doesn’t justify the price.

In certain workloads (blender, anything with high VRAM requirement really) it performs closer to the cost difference, but not fully.

If you’re the kind of person that is going to buy something right now, and will either buy a $1200 scalped 3080 or an MSRP 3090, you should buy a 3090. If you will wait for an MSRP card, get a 3080.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Maybe you goons can help or recommend something to me.

About 8 years ago I built a PC and it's worked fairly well for most of that time though it appears as though its now on it's last legs. Some games I used to be able to play consistently lock up and crash regularly and the graphics drivers frequently crash, completely locking up the system and requiring a hard reboot.

Looking to get a brand new machine (been agonizing over it for the better part of a year now) but with parts as hard to come by as they are right now I'm thinking about just buying a premade one.

I want to be able to play new games and also stream them (maybe do some video recording and editing).

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming/Streaming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'm really willing to spend whatever, I have a big budget.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? n/a
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Ultra/fast as possible, while streaming.

I checked out the "Enthusiast" build on the PC Picker site recommended in the OP and it would be willing to spend that much, but I'm sure some things on it are excessive and could be switched out.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of GFX comparisons, how does 3070 compare to the 3080 on current games? I can't get my hands on an 80 but a 70 is available to me, so I'm wondering how much the actual difference is.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mischalaniouse posted:

I checked out the "Enthusiast" build on the PC Picker site recommended in the OP and it would be willing to spend that much, but I'm sure some things on it are excessive and could be switched out.

The prices are all kinds of whack because of the demand situation, but the fundamentals of that build are what I'd recommend to you. The 5600x processor is the best value gaming processor bar none and the RTX 3080 is the best high end GPU. You want an RTX card specifically, because aside from excellent gaming performance you get a bunch of additional features specifically to help streamers. I'd say it's worth going to 32GB of RAM for you because it's not very expensive and you mentioned wanting to do some video editing. That should give you some parameters to aim for if you're looking at prebuilts.

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of GFX comparisons, how does 3070 compare to the 3080 on current games? I can't get my hands on an 80 but a 70 is available to me, so I'm wondering how much the actual difference is.

Here the performance difference is more in line with the price jump, which is to say the 3080 is recommended if you have the cash but the 3070 is by no means bad value, although I have seen some noise that the 3060Ti is better 'value' in terms of price/perfomance ratio. It depends what resolution, frame rate and settings you're trying to push with it. Generally the advice is get the best possible GPU you can afford up to the 3080, assuming reasonable prices. Anything beyond that is strictly 'money to burn' territory barring the few people who need the 24GB of VRAM on the 3090 for rendering or whatever.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 7, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Soz, was honestly trying to be helpful, not an rear end in a top hat.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I have a friend who is in the fact-finding stages of a new AMD build. What is RAM rank, and why does it matter more to AMD setups than to Intel ones? I’ve read the Wikipedia article, but it does not make a lot of sense. I will suggest to him a 2x8 GB setup of DDR4-3600. What does single- vs dual-rank matter at this stage?

Edit: since nobody has responded yet, I’ll tack on a second question. What in the actual gently caress is happening with GPU prices? I am assuming this is supply chain chaos due to the pandemic. How long ago did this start? I am seeing prices of $800 for an RTX 2070, $1200 for a 2080, and $1500 (out of stock) across the board for pretty much anything in the 3000-series.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 7, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

3090 is about a 15%-20% increase over the 3080 in gaming performance, which doesn’t justify the price.

In certain workloads (blender, anything with high VRAM requirement really) it performs closer to the cost difference, but not fully.

If you’re the kind of person that is going to buy something right now, and will either buy a $1200 scalped 3080 or an MSRP 3090, you should buy a 3090. If you will wait for an MSRP card, get a 3080.

Yeah that last part is basically what I meant at this current junction the 3090 looks appealing because HOLY poo poo THOSE SCALPING PRICES BATMAN!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah that last part is basically what I meant at this current junction the 3090 looks appealing because HOLY poo poo THOSE SCALPING PRICES BATMAN!

My advice is to breathe and wait out the scalpers. Paying the scalped price is not worth it. Unless it’s for a work related thing, and they’re going to reimburse you, you will live if you can’t play cyberpunk at 4k max settings for a month or two.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
For 1080P gaming, mainly rocket league at 144hz, maybe some games like sekiro, jedi fallen order etc, is it worth the extra cash to get a 5600 XT over maybe a RX580 8GB or a 590? I don't need to run say Cyberpunk on ultra, I'm fine with turning some settings down occasionally. Rocket league is the big one.
On hardwareswap it seems like I could probably get a 5600 XT for roughly $320, whereas a 580 8gb would be like $200.

I'm thinking I'll just spend the extra cash so it'll last a bit longer.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

If your need isn't immediate, the RTX 3060 when it comes out at $329 would be much better than the 5600xt. Availability will obviously be a problem but if longevity is your concern I would wait to get the best value for money.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

My advice is to breathe and wait out the scalpers. Paying the scalped price is not worth it. Unless it’s for a work related thing, and they’re going to reimburse you, you will live if you can’t play cyberpunk at 4k max settings for a month or two.

Yeah I agree. gently caress that noise with the scalper. It's just frustrating since all this poo poo may have also driven the price up on the regular cards which sucks. I DID backorder a Gigabyte 3090 Eagle from ShopBLT just to see what happens(orders were at 320 and receiving was like 250), but the instant a 3080 shows up for MSRP and it's not scalped then it's mine.

I'm honestly not expecting ANYTHING out of that ShopBLT thing due to the demand issues, but figured why not. And it is a decent card from what I've read online.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Butterfly Valley posted:

If your need isn't immediate, the RTX 3060 when it comes out at $329 would be much better than the 5600xt. Availability will obviously be a problem but if longevity is your concern I would wait to get the best value for money.

I've been mainly looking at radeon cards because my monitor supports freesync and isn't on the list of "approved" g-sync capable monitors. Although I guess it doesn't really matter as long as I get over 144fps at all times right?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Butterfly Valley posted:

This is all sound advice and I just went for the first 1440p 144hz monitor I saw as a placeholder but yeah definitely smart to save some money there to cover the other things they need. I didn't pick out a KB/M because those are up to personal taste so the poster needs to do some research of their own there imo

Also, consider your use case for the monitor! I bought an LG gaming monitor (32" 1440p 144Hz) and the price seemed strangely low for the size and specs. Turns out, it's pretty good for games, but awful for desktop use. (Granted, I'm coming from about 5 years of beautiful MacBook Pro displays.) I wish I could go back, do a little more research, and spend a little more money on something more pleasant to look at when I'm not using it for gaming.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

zeldadude posted:

I've been mainly looking at radeon cards because my monitor supports freesync and isn't on the list of "approved" g-sync capable monitors. Although I guess it doesn't really matter as long as I get over 144fps at all times right?

What's the monitor? A lot of freesync monitors support g-sync anyway even if it's not explicitly mentioned. Google your monitor name and g-sync and see what you can find.

enojy posted:

Also, consider your use case for the monitor! I bought an LG gaming monitor (32" 1440p 144Hz) and the price seemed strangely low for the size and specs. Turns out, it's pretty good for games, but awful for desktop use.

Not doubting your experience but what makes it awful for desktop use? Generally most good gaming monitors are also going to be good for general usage, unless you have specific technical needs.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 7, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

zeldadude posted:

Approved means nvidia tested it. All free sync monitors work, and most of them work totally fine.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Butterfly Valley posted:

What's the monitor? A lot of freesync monitors support g-sync anyway even if it's not explicitly mentioned. Google your monitor name and g-sync and see what you can find.

Not doubting your experience but what makes it awful for desktop use? Generally most good gaming monitors are also going to be good for general usage, unless you have specific technical needs.

Don't get me wrong, sitting about two feet away from a 32" monitor doesn't do it any favors. But, scrolling is generally bad, text especially so, even at 144Hz. It's not unusable, but... not engaging is probably the best way to put it. I want to be done typing this post so I can do something else that doesn't involve text. Ha! (I've got Cleartext or whatever set up as good as I can get it to my eyes.)

I always used to put high priority on response time, but going forward, I may dial that back. This monitor has a 1ms response time mode (as opposed to its standard 2ms) and it really takes a toll on display quality to the point of being terminally inaccurate, which leads me to think that maybe something a little less aggressive in its response time may be nicer to look at day to day without sacrificing any game-centric qualities.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

enojy posted:

Don't get me wrong, sitting about two feet away from a 32" monitor doesn't do it any favors. But, scrolling is generally bad, text especially so. It's not unusable, but... not engaging is probably the best way to put it. I want to be done typing this post so I can do something else that doesn't involve text. Ha! (I've got Cleartext or whatever set up as good as I can get it to my eyes.)

I always used to put high priority on response time, but going forward, I may dial that back. This monitor has a 1ms response time mode (as opposed to its standard 2ms) and it really takes a toll on display quality, which leads me to think that maybe something a little less aggressive in its response time may be nicer to look at day to day without sacrificing any game-centric qualities.

On my monitor, the scrolling issue was directly related to my response time setting. The lower the response time the worse the issue.

I set it from 1ms to 2ms and it was much better.

Ymmv