Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

MRC48B posted:

what size are the fasteners you are driving into said pine, what impact driver are you using/what speed is it set to.

Usually something quality like GRK screws with torx heads. I'm using an 18v Makita driver with no speed setting, but obviously the trigger is variable and I'm adjusting as needed. Given that combo, the wood is the weakest part of the equation so the screw will either bury itself or strip the hole if I'm fastening hardware like a hinge (which I guess is the scenario I had in my head).

I guess to clarify - I don't find it impossible to use the impact driver, I just find I have to be much more careful and the failure mode is worse and there isn't much advantage other than not having to switch bits if I'm pre-drilling holes. The consensus among those that know what they're doing though is that an impact driver is the way to go, so I thought I might be missing something silly in my use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

It's probably just too much driver torque to use without a very delicate trigger finger or a reduced power setting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Impact drivers can deliver way more torque to the screw than a drill can. The problem that I think you're running into is that they deliver that torque in fairly sizable units and you can't adjust the amount of torque delivered (or at least you can't on my driver!), just the timing with which it's delivered. So it does take some practice to use a driver effectively, compared to a drill where you have fine control over just how much force the drill will apply.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Erwin posted:

Usually something quality like GRK screws with torx heads. I'm using an 18v Makita driver with no speed setting, but obviously the trigger is variable and I'm adjusting as needed. Given that combo, the wood is the weakest part of the equation so the screw will either bury itself or strip the hole if I'm fastening hardware like a hinge (which I guess is the scenario I had in my head).

I guess to clarify - I don't find it impossible to use the impact driver, I just find I have to be much more careful and the failure mode is worse and there isn't much advantage other than not having to switch bits if I'm pre-drilling holes. The consensus among those that know what they're doing though is that an impact driver is the way to go, so I thought I might be missing something silly in my use of it.

I'm not sure if you're missing the part where because there's not clutch YOU need to stop at the right time, or if you're having trouble stopping at the right time. If it's the latter you need to SLOW DOWN until you get the hang of it. You may even go so slow that it stops.....that's okay. Give it some more trigger/power and it will start up/hammer a bit. You'll get the feel after a few and be able to speed up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
New tools post incoming!

Today my new big belt sander arrived. It was another "Amazon warehouse deal" and was $90 for a device that typically sells for $250 (in Canada). Most of my power tools have been amazon warehouse deals, this warehouse and its dissatisfied customers have decided how my woodshop evolved over the course of 2020. Everything I have obtained from warehouse deals has been a good deal, but jank in some minor way. This big sander is no exception. When I unboxed it I found it was missing the front sanding disk. I have replacement disks (for my other sander) but they are too small :argh:

Other than the missing disk it works flawlessly! There was a mysterious piece of plywood in a plastic baggie jammed into the bottom of the sander. I pulled it out and used it as a test piece. This thing has some balls!. It chewed through that wood like air, this thing is going to do me very well. I put up a pic of the old small sander side by side for comparison. I can't tell you how annoying it is to shape wood on that tiny belt. No more! :v:

I may as well post about my other new tools too. A few days ago I got this little number from the warehouse deals. My first ever vacuum cleaner! Sorry, not a cleaner, a manly shopvac for men :black101: Its quite dusty because I used it to pick up a metric ton of fine sawdust that had accumulated in my shop. My previous dust collection system was a broom head and a pan, and it was getting a bit tedious. No More!

In the package today was also a doweling jig (also a warehouse deal). I wanted this because I'm looking to make some furniture and my janky joints are not good enough for that! It was not quite half off, and why? Because apparently there is a hole in the plastic internal baggie. It is otherwise perfect, as I expected a solid piece of "used" aluminum to be!

You might have also noticed my new jointer in the background, it was also a warehouse deal. $150 discount because the front of the box was damaged (I think someone in the warehouse dropped it?). Otherwise perfect! All the wood I work with is reclaimed and kind of rough, but no more!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 5, 2021

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
If you don't have one pick up a Sanding Eraser https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sanding+eraser&crid=2LSEBS9SUL2D9&sprefix=Sanding+er%2Caps%2C177&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_10 for your sanders. They clean the abrasive of sawdust and prolong the life of the belts/discs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JEEVES420 posted:

If you don't have one pick up a Sanding Eraser https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sanding+eraser&crid=2LSEBS9SUL2D9&sprefix=Sanding+er%2Caps%2C177&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_10 for your sanders. They clean the abrasive of sawdust and prolong the life of the belts/discs.

Funny enough I got one of those today too (to clean up the belt on my smaller sander). I've got a lot of buildup on there from grimy pallet boards

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Guys, should I buy an air compressor? I just got a (small) rented garage and I am trying to figure out what I should put in there. Will I be using it, or is it just a waste of space and money? (Assuming I probably won't be using air-powered tools).
I could get a 24l compressor for a hundo including basic tools like blower and inflator.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SEKCobra posted:

Guys, should I buy an air compressor? I just got a (small) rented garage and I am trying to figure out what I should put in there. Will I be using it, or is it just a waste of space and money? (Assuming I probably won't be using air-powered tools).
I could get a 24l compressor for a hundo including basic tools like blower and inflator.

What are you going to use it for? You're not using air tools, do you expect you're going to be filling tires or blowing something out frequently?

It's up to you, but if you don't have a regular use for it, it's just gonna take up space.

I have a compressor for air nailers, but the fact that I need to plug in and fill the compressor before I can use an air tool makes me not want to use it most of the time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Blowing around compressed air is fun. I donno how much you value blowing, its a very subjective thing

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

SEKCobra posted:

Battery power has or is, supplanting a lot of air tools these days. There are battery powered compressors. I don't know how good they in particular are, but if you are already bought in to an eco system of batteries, Dewalt, Makita etc, then you might be better off just getting a battery powered compressor/inflator for doing tires etc.
I think the only thing that you wouldn't be able to do with one of those is use a blow gun for spraying dust and poo poo off of (whatever), or seating the bead of a tire.

On the other hand, if everything works, and its cheap, and you have some spare room, then maybe say gently caress it and get it anyway?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Well really the only purpose I can think of right now is blowing air, which is really nice but not sure if its worth it.
I might get one of those electric dust blowers, supposedy they are good, but expensive.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If I put the tube from my shop vac into the exhaust port it becomes a blower

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of blowing; I got one of those MetroVac blowers for cheap. Jesus do they blow. It's a very nice kind of blowing and it's great for drying cars etc.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of blowing; I got one of those MetroVac blowers for cheap. Jesus do they blow. It's a very nice kind of blowing and it's great for drying cars etc.

I think that's the one I was remembering.
Also, good point on the shop vac, just bought one of those and I think it should have an exhaust port as well.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I use my compressor less and less every year, but when I need to put pointy fastners into wood in rapid succession, its still impossible to beat.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Yep I love my compressor for blasting nails of all sizes into all materials and it's handy to have for filling tires and just blowin air around but if I wasn't shooting lots of nails I don't think I'd bother. Even then idk my nail guns were free from my FiL if I was starting from scratch I would've looked at the battery nail guns although I don't know if anybody makes battery powered framing nailers?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Bloody posted:

Yep I love my compressor for blasting nails of all sizes into all materials and it's handy to have for filling tires and just blowin air around but if I wasn't shooting lots of nails I don't think I'd bother. Even then idk my nail guns were free from my FiL if I was starting from scratch I would've looked at the battery nail guns although I don't know if anybody makes battery powered framing nailers?

At least Milwaukee and Dewalt do.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, and they are apparently getting better and better, but they recompress between each nail so you can't get that "bapbapbap" that traditional framing nailers get you.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

more falafel please posted:

I have a compressor for air nailers, but the fact that I need to plug in and fill the compressor before I can use an air tool makes me not want to use it most of the time.

That's why I love my battery powered brad nailer, so convenient to grab it and shoot a nail or two into something without having to wait for a compressor to fill up. I highly recommend them.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I'm looking at entering Nailer Town (pin nailer and brad nailer) and what's holding me back from the battery ones is cycle time and price. Those things are expensive if they come from a well known brand, and still not cheap if they're not.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I use a small pancake compresor and nailer, I bought it before battery nailers are a thing. But anyone worrying about "you need it to fill up before you use it" is a big fat baby. when I do trim here's my starting proces.
If I've already got all my trim pre cut
1. Bring compressor into room from garage, turn it on
2. Go back to the garage and grab the Nailer and figure out whre the gently caress I put the nails last
3. come back in and it's full and ready to go bap bap bap.

If I dont' have my trim pre cut
1. Cut most of the trim, except for maybe the last wall worth
2. Bring in compressor and turn on
3. Cut the rest of the trim
4. Go and figure out whre the gently caress I put my nails.
5. come inside and go bap bap bap

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Corded lead blowers are cheap if you just wanna get dust everywhere

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011
Hi tools thread. Is there any consensuson the best cordless ecosystem to buy into if starting fresh?

For context: I live in a condo right now, but that will probably change in a year or two, and I have friends with houses who never seem to have the right tools for the things we want to work on. Right now I am looking to build a few book cases, make some bike storage for the living room, and fabricate extensions for my standing desk. Nothing too complex.
I've used (read: beat the poo poo out of) and been impressed with Ridgid cordless tools in the past, but it seems like they suffer from somewhat limited selection.
Some people seem to like Ryobi, but every time I've used a Ryobi tool in the past I was not impressed.
I'm looking hard at Milwaukee right now since it seems to have most everything I'd want- probably going to spend $400-700 to get a decent kit with several high Ah batteries and then expand as needed.

Things I need now: drill/driver, circular saw (prefer 7 1/4"), impact driver.
Things I'd like now: sawzall, router, jigsaw, shop blower.
Things I'll probably want two years from now: string trimmer, leaf blower, chainsaw, band saw.

Thoughts and opinions? Seems like there is rough feature parity between DeWalt, Milwaukee and Makita, so it may come down to who has the best combo sale.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Longbike posted:

Seems like there is rough feature parity between DeWalt, Milwaukee and Makita, so it may come down to who has the best combo sale.

Its more or less this.

Some people have their preferences, and are firmly in the camp of a specific colour, but get whatever you think is the best combo deal at your local store.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'd also take a look at the secondary market in your area to see what's available in case down the road you want to pick up any used tools that you can't justify the full retail price on. Everyone around here seems to use Milwaukee and I've gotten some good second hand deals on FB marketplace because of it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm perfectly happy with Ryobi tools for my usage, but if I ever upgrade it'll be to Milwaukee's ecosystem.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

It feels like most cordless tools have become pretty much the same at this point. You get occasional duds, but for the most part its a case of -- what price point you are looking at? -> what ecosystem are you in or willing to join? -> Any special tools available only to that ecosystem? -> Special features within the tool line or specific to a tool.

Ryobi has been fine for me, my Dad is a Dewalt guy, my brother in law a mix of Dewalt and Makita. Don't think any of us have had anything you would call a real problem across an entire brand. Just the usual, something craps out here or breaks there.

If you're in an ecosystem already there isnt a lot of reason to change. If you're picking something out for the first time you'll eventually find one lineup that hits that personal sweet spot of price vs features and after that it hardly matters.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Milwaukee has a nice M18 bundle at on sale at Home Depot right now for $379. None of these are the Fuel variants but a good starter pack.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-26XC/308992558

The Milwaukee M18 Cordless lithium-Ion 6-Tool Combo Kit includes the M18 Compact Drill/Driver (2606-20), M18 1/4 in. Hex Impact Driver (2656-20), M18 Multi-Tool (2626-20), M18 6-1/2 in. Circular Saw (2630-20), M18 Random Orbit Sander (2648-20), M18 LED Flashlight (2735-20), REDLITHIUM XC battery pack (48-11-1828), REDLITHIUM CP 2.0 Ah battery pack (48-11-1820) and M12/M18 Multi-Voltage Charger (48-59-1812).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have an Milwaukee M12 Fuel circular saw but I'd like to get a bigger saw for larger jobs. I have an old Skil saw I used this weekend but it's, old, way off alignment and at some point I severed the cord pretty bad.

I'm all in on M12 so if I got 18/20v I would be buying new ecosystem. There's a good deal on a Craftsman 20v Brushless model at Lowe's that comes with a free battery/charger, or should I be looking at corded instead like a good quality DeWalt or Skillsaw?

The only thing that would nudge me toward the Craftsman is that I might want to upgrade my outdoor tools some point in the future and the Craftsman has many of the tools I would want.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Any tracksaw havers in this thread? I am looking at getting the Makita but I was wondering about the tracks themselves. Do you really need to have the 8ft track for full rips or is it okay to just combine two tracks? I can't see the 8ft being shipped to me undamaged and also lugging/storing that bastard around the shop seems like a task in itself.

Re: battery ecosystems:

I've always been a red boi myself but here I am about to dip into Makita just because they offer a product that Milwaukee doesn't have in the track saw. However the system has been great for me for professional work. The only Milwaukee product I was disappointed in was the autofeeder+drywall screwgun. But I was also using 2" screws so it could've been user error.

Ryobi tools are alright for diy stuff and the prices are great especially on their nailers, but they do kinda feel cheap when compared to other brands.

Around here all the old framers have dewalt, other trades have milwaukee, and for some reason I don't see much Makita.

Rufio fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 9, 2021

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I have to festool 4 and 6 tracks I combine to get full rips. They work great, and I doubt they are any different than the other brand's tracks. An 8 ft would be really annoying if you had to take it anywhere with any regularity.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Doesn’t Kreg sell a sort of universal track, bring-your-own-saw?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Even GeForce Now isn't an option, because Nvidia somehow saturated their entire cloud gaming capacity, too. Unless it went down post-CP2077.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Even GeForce Now isn't an option, because Nvidia somehow saturated their entire cloud gaming capacity, too. Unless it went down post-CP2077.

I prefer to saw in the real world. Virtual wood just isn't the same

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Sockser posted:

I have the Makita 36v saw and some tracks. I havne't used them in tandem yet but I will in the next week as I rip along a tabletop. The single-track experience has been surprisingly nice. Can recommend.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Sockser posted:

They do and an edge guide track that uses the same saw mount. It works well for sheet work but I haven't figured out where to plug in the AGP card. Does that make it go faster?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have a scheppach with a 1400mm and 2 700mm tracks. It's nice not to have to bolt the shorties together for a 1200mm cut.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Double posting this here and in AI tools thread to get more exposure to people that might only post in one forum or the other.

Looking for a set of Carbide burrs to use in my die grinder. I don't want, and probably don't need the most expensive poo poo ever, but whats a decent brand that won't break the bank for a set of 4-5 burrs of varying designs (ball, cylinder, taper etc). Is something like that available in the sub 100$ CDN range?
Using these for shaping/grinding steel. Typically mild steel not tool steel, or hardened or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have to clean out the damned switch on my Bosch 1617 routers so often I can tear them down in about 4 minutes now. I also had to replace the main spindle bearing on one of them-it's less than 3 years old and it's not like it's running for hours a day (or even week). Pretty grumpy about them atm.

So....who else makes good routers? lol. Porter cable isn't what it used to be, but my PC router gives me no trouble ever.