Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ultimately it's not hard to understand wedge, and what people want from wedge. Even the old EU managed to more or less deliver on this consistently which says a lot.

He was in star wars 9 for 2 seconds and in those 2 seconds they managed to gently caress it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

No Mods No Masters posted:

He was in star wars 9 for 2 seconds and in those 2 seconds they managed to gently caress it up

It's honestly impressive in its own right how they turned such an easy layup of a cameo into a farce.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Didn't the actor turn down a war room cameo in TFA? Kind of a self-own to turn that down (and probably by extension the chance to get sucked out of a space window in the sequel) and then come crawling back for a cameo that you can literally blink and miss, so far into the movie that everyone's brain is too overstimulated to even make sense of who you are and what you're doing

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Presumably he accepted the RoS cameo on the grounds of being offered an order of magnitude more money by panicked producers trying to salvage the derailed train that was RoS.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

By holding out he secured not only more money probably, but also a 'you only need to be there for an hour and you will at no point have to stand up' hollywood sweetheart contract for elderly cameos. I respect it

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's actually conflicting reports about why he wasn't in TFA:

Denis Lawson in 2014 posted:

They asked me but it just would have bored me.

Denis Lawson in 2017 posted:

That's falsely recorded, they did ask me to do it, frustratingly I wasn't free. I would like to set that record straight. I was shooting on something else, I'd have loved to have done it… ask me again!

He may also have been persuaded by his nephew - maybe an "If I have to do it, so do you" kind of thing.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

His cameo is like Lando's appearance in 9 where the in-story implications of their absence until the eleventh hour are more interesting than their presence

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

His cameo is like Lando's appearance in 9 where the in-story implications of their absence until the eleventh hour are more interesting than their presence

Agreed

gently caress i hate that movie

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Watch the half second Wedge cameo on youtube

There you go, that's it, that's the only good part

This is Babu Frik erasure

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
RoS should have ended with Lando waking up from a night of hard partying on Endor having dreamed the entire ST.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

OldSenileGuy posted:

This is Babu Frik erasure

Glad of it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lando's final act was to return sex weirdness to star wars at last by hitting on his own daughter. Thank u lando

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mods?!?!?1

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

porfiria posted:

I've never seen Rise of Skywalker, and guess what? I never will.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Looking forward to the new shows tho

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

teagone posted:

You'd think he would be an admiral by now too, lol. Idiots.

They tried to make him Admiral in the old canon and he always turned it down because he likes flying that much :pseudo:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

In a more interesting version of the sequels, the resistance is against the new republic and wedge is the new admiral piett (or sio bibble or valorum). Cameo would be informative to the story and not just shoved in

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Lando's final act was to return sex weirdness to star wars at last by hitting on his own daughter. Thank u lando

Like poetry indeed

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Shame Boy posted:

They tried to make him Admiral in the old canon and he always turned it down because he likes flying that much :pseudo:

Which is why he's now in the gunner seat of the Falcon because that's what Wedge is known for.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

in those 2 seconds they managed to gently caress it up

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > The Star Wars Spoiler thread: in those 2 seconds they managed to gently caress it up

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Who the hell is Bob JPEG?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1359212585749368832?s=20

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Same, Ian.

Same.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hard to feel bad for him when probably like 80% of all the income he's made in his career is a result of that role.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It probably allowed him to make so many very serious plays. So good for him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I mean he seemed to enjoy the experience? And he certainly cared enough to get a bit nutty with the role and bring something to it, rather than just turn up and collect a paycheque. If anything god bless him for being a theatrical actor who doesn't consider genre roles beneath him

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

multijoe posted:

I mean he seemed to enjoy the experience? And he certainly cared enough to get a bit nutty with the role and bring something to it, rather than just turn up and collect a paycheque. If anything god bless him for being a theatrical actor who doesn't consider genre roles beneath him

There's a whole subset of English actors like that. They actually care about the stage, and seem to view all films as equally beneath them. Whether they're in some serious drama film or being the villain opposite Stallone or something, it's all equally not what they want to be doing, so they show up and knock it out of the loving part because why not? Stephen Berkoff in Rambo is one of the oddest. He stands out even more by being literally the only actor in the film who knows how to stand or walk normally.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a whole subset of English actors like that. They actually care about the stage, and seem to view all films as equally beneath them. Whether they're in some serious drama film or being the villain opposite Stallone or something, it's all equally not what they want to be doing, so they show up and knock it out of the loving part because why not? Stephen Berkoff in Rambo is one of the oddest. He stands out even more by being literally the only actor in the film who knows how to stand or walk normally.

It's well understood in the British acting profession that the US likes British actors, but Hollywood is brutal and one little misstep will result in you never getting work again and having to go home. So you end up with a tranche of people like Michael Caine and Anthony Hopkins who are incredibly talented but have a filmography that contains some utter trash because they never ever turn down a job if they have space in the schedule.

e: also a hell of a lot of british actors who make it big have at some point done a stint in the Royal Shakespeare Company. It is very much a ticket to get yourself talent scouted.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 10, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I think the pay also has to be a factor. You'll see a Brit actor leave a British show after six episodes because "they don't want to get tied to one role", then come to the US and do twenty-two episodes a year for seven years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Hard to feel bad for him when probably like 80% of all the income he's made in his career is a result of that role.

I don't think he's making a face, he's just drinking water.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

Berkoff had a run of 'mad-eyed Russian officer' villain roles - Rambo, Octopussy, Fair Game. Typecasting, maybe, but I'm sure he didn't mind taking nice paycheques for a few weeks' work eating the scenery.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Davros1 posted:

I think the pay also has to be a factor. You'll see a Brit actor leave a British show after six episodes because "they don't want to get tied to one role", then come to the US and do twenty-two episodes a year for seven years.

I would guess in those circumstances it's because the US shows pay better?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, Tony Daniels is a fellow Brit and has voiced Threepio (and more often than not was literally in the suit himself) in almost everything he's been in (don't remember what else he's done besides Star Wars though).

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The only non-threepio role I can remember him in is voicing Legolas in the Bakshi LOTR

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

Berkoff had a run of 'mad-eyed Russian officer' villain roles - Rambo, Octopussy, Fair Game. Typecasting, maybe, but I'm sure he didn't mind taking nice paycheques for a few weeks' work eating the scenery.

I looked him up at one point and he's also an accomplished playwright. And yeah, I imagine those roles let him stage as many plays as he wanted. Good for him.

Also, he's still kicking and working regularly at age 83.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Patrick Stewart famously took the Picard role because the assumption was the show would last maybe a season, just make that money, go to LA, enjoy yourself, then come back.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Maxwell Lord posted:

Patrick Stewart famously took the Picard role because the assumption was the show would last maybe a season, just make that money, go to LA, enjoy yourself, then come back.

lol how did they not realize they had a winner

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

lol how did they not realize they had a winner

Don’t most people consider the first season pretty terrible? I haven’t seen it since I was a kid but I thought it got off to a pretty rocky start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Won’t Patrick Stewart basically take any role though? Or is that more of a recent mindset for him?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 11, 2021