Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

azurite posted:

Respirators do the opposite of surgical/cloth masks in that they protect the wearer from airborne contaminants, but don't protect others from the wearer.

Oh poo poo, that’s good to know, I don’t want to kill some grandmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The poster above me said they might still be better than cloth masks, but honestly I don't know. It's definitely not their intended function.

Nevermind
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2021-107/default.html

azurite fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 9, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

azurite posted:

Respirators do the opposite of surgical/cloth masks in that they protect the wearer from airborne contaminants, but don't protect others from the wearer.

Of course, by protecting the wearer from contagion, they do in fact protect others around him because he is less likely to become a carrier. But that's hardly news to anyone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh poo poo, that’s good to know, I don’t want to kill some grandmas

It's easy to wrangle a medical mask over the vent on most respirators. Loop the ear loops over the filter cartridges and tie it off. There is some debate over whether it is useful or merely "virtue signalling" but it's cheap and easy so why not?

jetz0r posted:

My first attempt at cover the exhaust for my Honeywell 7700 was to pop the exhaust cover off, and put a disc of surgical mask in there and snap it closed. With all 3 layers in there, it was too hard to breathe out through the vent, the seal around my face would break to let air out. With 2 layers, it worked, but was still harder to exhale.

When I tried out this way of attaching a surgical mask, I didn't pull the mask tight over the exhaust vent, and pulled the top and sides tight, so the masks forms a little pouch and air gets to push against a lot more surface area. And I let the bottom stay loose enough to allow for some bypass. It acts a lot more like a surgical mask on a face, they don't try to filter everything, it stops the main blast of air, some filters through, and some vents out the sides. As a result, it doesn't increase the required exhale pressure more than having the one way exhaust valve built in to the respirator.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I just wear a cloth or surgical over the N95, no biggie.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
So I'm traveling to Uganda in two weeks as part of a surgical team. I just got my second dose of Moderna today. Has anyone found data on the level of protection against the SA variant? All I've been able to find is 6 fold decrease in neutralizing titers, and earlier waning immunity.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Are the respirators comfortable to wear while wearing glasses? I'm highly considering buying one to prepare for the variants.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

azurite posted:

The poster above me said they might still be better than cloth masks, but honestly I don't know. It's definitely not their intended function.

P.S.: The intended function of cloth masks is “they look badass and make money for Etsy while providing cover for politicians”. They’re not good at respiratory protection for anyone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
How to get the Covid vaccine in Canada:

loving lol no chance

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bodhidharma posted:

Are the respirators comfortable to wear while wearing glasses? I'm highly considering buying one to prepare for the variants.

Mine is fine, the silicone is soft enough to sort of press the nose part of the glasses into the nose part of the respirator. The only problem I have is I'm old and wear bifocals, and since the glasses sit just slightly higher on my nose the line of the bifocals isn't in the right spot.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6528612/Powecom-Non-Medical-Disposable-KN95-Respirator/
https://bonafidemasks.com/Powecom-kn-95/

Are these any good? My washable masks have all shrunk after repeated washes and I'm starting to get sick of them.

Office Depot claims they're not FDA certified but:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...-equipment-euas

The FDA site links to http://www.powecom.com/eng_product.html

So...maybe they are? Anyone have em and can comment?

Why not just get some of the MediDent masks that were advertised here on the forums awhile back? I got a box of their disposable N95s a long time ago and they’ve been great. Are those not available anymore?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

stab posted:

Be rich, come to Florida, and take ours.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pffff, at least people where you live actually give a gently caress about masks. Half the people in my town don’t bother to cover their noses with their masks.

Half the people that wear masks at all, I mean.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

stab posted:

loving lol no chance

Alberta announced today that the threshold between dine-in and no dine-in at restaurants is 450 people hospitalized with covid

Can't wait to never get the vaccine lmao

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Thanks for this, this is helpful.

Platystemon posted:

P.S.: The intended function of cloth masks is “they look badass and make money for Etsy while providing cover for politicians”. They’re not good at respiratory protection for anyone.

I... Uh.. Ok.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I rigged up my VOC respirator with a surgical mask covering the vent back in May. After an hour or so the weight really started to bother my nose. But it was nice not having my glasses fog up.

As of today, both my 80-something parents have gotten their first Pfizer dose. Hooray!

Now my wife can start ramping up the pressure for them to start babysitting...

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

I. M. Gei posted:

:kheldragar: FUCKYEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH BITNCHES I JUST SCORED COVID VACCINE APPOINTMENTS FOR EVERYONE IN MY HOUSE :coolspot:

:siren: EXTREMELY PRO TIP FOR GETTING A COVID VACCINE APPOINTMENT :siren:
Find a clinic with an online vaccine appointment signup page that updates whenever an open spot becomes available, then download the Distill add-on for Firefox and set it to refresh that page every 5 seconds (or 6 seconds, or 10 seconds, or whatever) and alert you via phone text, email, and a little noise that plays on your computer any time the page updates. Then just leave your phone and computer running 24/7, with sleep mode and auto shutdown and Do Not Disturb and etc all turned off, and check the page every time you get an update alert. Assuming your signup page is anything like mine, eventually it’ll update with open vaccine appointments.

You’re welcome :viggo:

I technically meet the Tier 1B vaccine requirement of being over 18 and obese

Lol what state has a 1B that loose, I guess VA does according to the hunters from there, but that's uh, 4 here

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mozi posted:

it's a little different i guess w/ the variants? but even now, people are starting to refer to them as 501.V2 or whatnot, which isn't the greatest name, but whatever. there was some value in knowing where they originated and therefore might be more prevalent but as time goes on that's less meaningful

maybe there should be names like we use for hurricanes. so you'd have the Anna strain, the Bob strain, etc etc

Eponymous descriptors for newly discovered diseases used to be something of a medical standard and there's a whole lot of them named after the people who discovered them, that's how they get themselves into the history books. Medical pioneers such as Alois Alzheimer, Burrill Bernard Crohn, George Gilles de la Tourette and Charlie Gonorrhoea.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

azurite posted:

I stand corrected

I have a 3M 6900 full-face respirator that I use when grocery shopping (no curbside in my small Northern Ontario Town). The exhalation valve is pointed downwards, and that helps, but I actually modded it so that the inside of the valve has a P-95 circular filter in it, fitted over a 3D printed ring, with a rubber seal around the outside of it. I usually rock P100 filters that I use when working with solvents and other nasty stuff.

What I'm breathing out is better filtered than what most doctors are breathing in.

Bought it for woodworking (eye and lung protection) so after Covid is done (knock on wood) hopefully it will just be hanging up in my garage. I even made a case for it because I have too much time on my hands.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 9, 2021

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

:kheldragar: FUCKYEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH BITNCHES I JUST SCORED COVID VACCINE APPOINTMENTS FOR EVERYONE IN MY HOUSE :coolspot:

:siren: EXTREMELY PRO TIP FOR GETTING A COVID VACCINE APPOINTMENT :siren:
Find a clinic with an online vaccine appointment signup page that updates whenever an open spot becomes available, then download the Distill add-on for Firefox and set it to refresh that page every 5 seconds (or 6 seconds, or 10 seconds, or whatever) and alert you via phone text, email, and a little noise that plays on your computer any time the page updates. Then just leave your phone and computer running 24/7, with sleep mode and auto shutdown and Do Not Disturb and etc all turned off, and check the page every time you get an update alert. Assuming your signup page is anything like mine, eventually it’ll update with open vaccine appointments.

You’re welcome :viggo:

I technically meet the Tier 1B vaccine requirement of being over 18 and obese

If anyone in PA would like a selenium script for refreshing Rite Aid, PM me, it’s preset for Obesity :twisted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

azurite posted:

I... Uh.. Ok.

I’m sorry. I should have more gently broken the news that you live in a failed state.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

theflyingexecutive posted:

If anyone in PA would like a selenium script for refreshing Rite Aid, PM me, it’s preset for Obesity :twisted:

Do you have to be a resident in PA?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SchnorkIes posted:

Do you have to be a resident in PA?

I was going off of that article saying that PA didn’t have a residency requirement, then cuomo announced Tier 1b(3) the next day so I stopped

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Blistex posted:

I even made a case for it because I have too much time on my hands.

This is art

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Pump Jockey posted:

This is art

NO! That ain't a fancy wood. I demand it be redone in quarter sawn sycamore with a purpleheart inlay.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Duck and Cover posted:

NO! That ain't a fancy wood. I demand it be redone in quarter sawn sycamore with a purpleheart inlay.

African Blackwood

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Eponymous descriptors for newly discovered diseases used to be something of a medical standard and there's a whole lot of them named after the people who discovered them, that's how they get themselves into the history books. Medical pioneers such as Alois Alzheimer, Burrill Bernard Crohn, George Gilles de la Tourette and Charlie Gonorrhoea.

or my famous ancestor, Roger Dickrot

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It definitely was, and although it's not really the point, it didn't even originate in Spain

I get the sense alot of people don't realize Spaniards are white.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I get the sense alot of people don't realize Spaniards are white.

There has historically been so much racism that does not relate to your personal definition of "race" that it's not even funny.

(To be clear, I'm saying that Americans may have one definition of who can be a victim of racism, and other cultures may have their own definition. Indeed, you'd be hard pressed to find two people in America who agree in detail on what exactly constitutes a particular race. In the context of early-20th-century Europe, I certainly agree it makes sense to partly blame racism for calling it the Spanish Flu. The other contributor is geopolitics.)

(Let me tell you about the racism between the various white people of Yugoslavia. No, please don't let me, it will take all week...)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Italians used to not be white in America.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The Irish used to be considered non white.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Italians used to not be white in America.

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

But once they became white, holy poo poo did they embrace it. I've heard some awful rear end poo poo from old Italian American and old Irish American people when I used to go to bars, loving hell it was poo poo that would make a plantation owner cringe.

naem
May 29, 2011

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

But once they became white, holy poo poo did they embrace it. I've heard some awful rear end poo poo from old Italian American and old Irish American people when I used to go to bars, loving hell it was poo poo that would make a plantation owner cringe.

Seriously, growing up on Long Island is like “bitch you wouldn’t be here less than a century ago stop saying the n word no I do not care if you are Sicilian”

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

hey remember The Bar's entrance where they put the 1.21 gigawatt spotlight directly on sheamus to drive home how loving white he is

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 9, 2021

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

So the crazy QAnon wife of my cousin in Florida who I bother all the time on Facebook refuting her conspiracies got so mad that I called out her recent public non mask photos in a packed restaurant has decided to retaliate...by emailing my boss at the hospital I work at demanding they fire me for public harassment and racism, as well as inciting panic over covid despite a 99% survival rate.

She is white. I am white. But she brought up my black wife in the email as reasons for my "slandering of white women from an obviously racially motivated, BLM driven view".

My boss replied asking if she is short on masks because they can ship her some lmao.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Fenarisk posted:

So the crazy QAnon wife of my cousin in Florida who I bother all the time on Facebook refuting her conspiracies got so mad that I called out her recent public non mask photos in a packed restaurant has decided to retaliate...by emailing my boss at the hospital I work at demanding they fire me for public harassment and racism, as well as inciting panic over covid despite a 99% survival rate.

She is white. I am white. But she brought up my black wife in the email as reasons for my "slandering of white women from an obviously racially motivated, BLM driven view".

My boss replied asking if she is short on masks because they can ship her some lmao.

I would recommend you stop interacting with her. The less she's thinking about you the better.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fenarisk posted:

Jesus christ, gently caress this person.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

explosivo posted:

Jesus christ, gently caress this person.

Do not gently caress your cousin, no matter what Explosivo says you should do.

EngineerJoe posted:

I would recommend you stop interacting with her. The less she's thinking about you the better.

Also this. If she tried to get you fired and was a racist rear end in a top hat about it, your odds of getting killed by this person have gone up. Maybe not dramatically, but they are in a non-zero territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yeah I’ll echo that sentiment. Just ignore/block her. Poking an insane hornets nest isn’t a good idea.