Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I pretty much stuck through it entirely because I thought that somewhere people would challenge these incredibly shortsighted and racist kool-aid drinking views the main characters had; some parts of it were so loving gritty and sad, you know? Surely it was character voice.

Anyway it just kept being that way. I guess wildbow achieved a true piece of superhero fiction in that fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Remember the time all the supervillains met at the diner, and Brian sat with the nazi assholes and joined them in making fun of the only visibly black villain at the meeting?

Like, I get that it's really hard to spot your own biases creeping into your work, but I would've thought that someone at some point would've gone "...uh, yo WB, this is kinda hosed up innit?"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Remember the time Warlord Skitter makes the mistake of hiring some asians and then a day later they start trying to rape and mutilate the white women so Skitter gets rid of them and the narration makes sure to describe their eyes as narrow?

There's also a weird as hell line at some point that jumped out at me where a sword some ABB member is wielding in described as "surprisingly not Japanese". What? It was such a bizarre thing to say that it was what made me assume Taylor's casual racism had to be a deliberate character voice thing that would be addressed later, rather than something the author would sincerely write, but...

Does Worm even have any named asian characters other than ABB's three capes? For a city that supposedly has a huge asian population, Worm sure seems pretty white.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 10, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yamada and Foil.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Worm: "Here is a black character in the background. You need to know this black character is in a drug dealer. In fact, all black characters are in gangs."

Also Worm: "There are two gangs in the city. Neither of them accepts black members."

Flesnolk posted:

Yamada and Foil.

I don't think I met either of them before I stopped reading, guess they showed up later. I... guess that's something?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also, remember how Bakuda wired up every single Asian person in the city with bombs in their brains and no one noticed?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Worm: "Here is a black character in the background. You need to know this black character is in a drug dealer. In fact, all black characters are in gangs."

Also Worm: "There are two gangs in the city. Neither of them accepts black members."

i suppose that implicitly that means the merchants are the only ones that accept black members

now think about how the merchants are portrayed

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Jazerus posted:

i suppose that implicitly that means the merchants are the only ones that accept black members

now think about how the merchants are portrayed

I’m sorry you missed all the nuance in the portrayal of “Skidmark”, such as his struggle with addiction to methamphetamines, bad teeth, low intelligence and, uh, dark skin.

Sure, the nazi characters are all handsome, ambitious business leaders, but they’re also evil, which shows that Wildbow understands that white supremacy is bad. Oh, except the ones that stop being evil because the other ones are even more evil, and still don’t like non white people, but are generally okay. At least they’re not like the Merchants. Or ABBs.

Velius fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 10, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Normally, I don't see cultural appropriation as a legitimate thing to complain about, but even I think a former Neo-Nazi using Jewish culture to rebrand themselves as really dumb.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Normally, I don't see cultural appropriation as a legitimate thing to complain about, but even I think a former Neo-Nazi using Jewish culture to rebrand themselves as really dumb.
He was a teenager doing it to piss off his literal fuhrer. It's not as bad as it sounds! Purity, on the other hand,

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Man how do you people even read this poo poo

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
to be fair,

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI: oof, that shriekblade stuff about chanting "kill yourself" hits uncomfortably close to home :smith:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Man how do you people even read this poo poo

I mean, SA is all about mocking things. Worm isn't great, but it's not nearly as bad as it sounds when goons pick a few parts out of 1.7m words to make fun of.

Putting it another way, even the people mocking it here still liked it enough to finish what amounts to a 12ish book series.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 10, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Bremen posted:

I mean, SA is all about mocking things. Worm isn't great, but it's not nearly as bad as it sounds when goons pick a few parts out of 1.7m words to make fun of.

Putting it another way, even the people mocking it here still liked it enough to finish what amounts to a 12ish book series.
inertia, getting up in the hype and binge-reading, overlooking problematic bullshit in the moment, and bad taste are my middle names

gotta shovel more words into my eyes at all times

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Bremen posted:

I've had a look at it and other web serials myself, and it's all been pretty fuckin' bad. Reading this thread or the comments on Royal Road is like being in a cafeteria where everyone's eating bowls of sand. It's genuinely bewildering to me that anyone has the time for this.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 10, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I've had a look at it and other web serials myself, and it's all been pretty fuckin' bad. Reading this thread or the comments on Royal Road is like being in a cafeteria where everyone's eating bowls of sand. It's genuinely bewildering to me that anyone has the time for this.

Look we read your posts.

More seriously, a lot of modern life is hurry up and wait and rather than phone games or dubious posting there are web serials. Many of them bad. Give your bowl of artistically flavored sand a chance. You might like it better than whatever Skinner box you have from the App Store or whatever freshhell the Facebook algorithm finds you.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What makes you think I have the slightest interest in that poo poo either?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I've had a look at it and other web serials myself, and it's all been pretty fuckin' bad. Reading this thread or the comments on Royal Road is like being in a cafeteria where everyone's eating bowls of sand.

But it's free sand!

Yeah, I dunno why I read so much web fiction these days either. I've always been a big reader, I guess maybe the format is just different enough to be fresh compared to buying more novels.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Looking at top web fiction beyond the usual good stories there’s a few stories of misogynist tripe by Mooderino, Wildbow’s stuff which we’ve been discussing, but mostly it’s good or at least defensible stuff in the top twenty or thirty entries. Below that though, there’s an enormous amount of forgettable stuff and tons of horrible stuff, as you’d expect for a field where anyone can put up whatever they want. I enjoy the stories I like, but I’m certainly not going out and soliciting new random web fiction without someone here referencing it.

Velius fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 10, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Velius posted:

Looking at top web fiction beyond the usual good stories there’s a few stories of misogynist tripe by Mooderino, Wildbow’s stuff which we’ve been discussing, but mostly it’s good or at least defensible stuff in the top twenty or thirty entries. Below that though, there’s an enormous number of forgettable stuff and tons of horrible stuff, as you’d expect for a field where anyone can put up whatever they want. I enjoy the stories I like, but I’m certainly not going out and soliciting new random web fiction without someone here referencing it.

That is actually one advantage webfiction has. If I go out and buy a new book and it's horrible, I feel bad for wasting the money. If I put something off RR on my Kindle and hate it, it just takes a few seconds to hit delete.

And while there's a lot more horrible webfiction out there, it's not like professional novels don't have their share of tire fires too.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Worm is The Turner Diaries for Garth Ennis fans and I will not hear a word in its defence

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
There's obviously more poo poo on Royal Road and co than regular books, but there's plenty of solid, entertaining reads as well. Web serials definitely trend a certain way that doesn't appeal to everyone. E.g. "isekai" being extremely common rather than an occasional trope.

Part of the fun imo is discussing the serial as it's ongoing week to week. That's a structural advantage they have over regular books, lots of people like to geek out with other fans.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Maybe people find enjoyment from different things than you? Your comparison with a bowl of sand is incorrect: there isn't some food pyramid of reading you should abide by to avoid health problems or something, because stories aren't food. Maybe that's how it feels for you but clearly that's not universal.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flesnolk posted:

Worm is The Turner Diaries for Garth Ennis fans and I will not hear a word in its defence
This is actually spot on and I appreciate it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm enjoying Weirkey, but wow the Planet of Hats vibe is VERY strong here.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Rosalie_A posted:

Maybe people find enjoyment from different things than you? Your comparison with a bowl of sand is incorrect: there isn't some food pyramid of reading you should abide by to avoid health problems or something, because stories aren't food. Maybe that's how it feels for you but clearly that's not universal.
I didn't make the comparison because sand isn't nutritional; I made it because sand isn't nutritional and also tastes like sand. It's some of the most creatively bankrupt and boring writing I've ever seen, and openly so. None of this even cuts it as a milkshake next to the banana splits you get from, say, Stephen King.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What makes you think I have the slightest interest in that poo poo either?

You are posting here instead of of growing your own vegetables, doing yoga or learning a new language.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Boy do I feel like a chump for, uh, communicating with other human beings.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Like, between the extremes of constant strenuous self-improvement and the absolute bottom of the barrel of cynical, disposable Content, there's a middle ground that covers most things a person can occupy themselves with, including this site.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 10, 2021

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Web serials have no gatekeepers, that's why there's so much proliferation of unreadable garbage. Honestly it's not really worth the effort to sift through gigantic piles of poo poo to get to the diamonds. Even with the popular stuff there is no guarantee that your going to get anything readable.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
yeah, the barrier of entry is lower than ever, and (separately) formulaic structures and strict adherence to genre are stronger than ever

neither of these are inherently good or bad, but combined it's a bit like bleach and ammonia

there's good stuff in there, somewhere, but if you want to find it you better hold your breath

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Worm, and any other story by Wildbow, is absolute garbage. But there are other web serials that have long, engaging, and well written stories.
Plus I'm a speed reader and I need more words to shove into my brain.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Peachfart posted:

Plus I'm a speed reader and I need more words to shove into my brain.

Basically there need to be more authors with pirateaba’s insane level of output.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think that level of output is very healthy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

.Z. posted:

Basically there need to be more authors with pirateaba’s insane level of output.

i know pirateaba makes writing the longest work of english language fiction look relatively easy, but...

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Cicero posted:

I don't think that level of output is very healthy

depends on what the rest of your life looks like

binge writing is real

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Boy do I feel like a chump for, uh, communicating with other human beings.

There's stuff that's good and stuff that's bad. In this thread people will discuss both.

Most other people find something they like and move on. If you want to focus on the stuff that's bad and are surprised people disagree with you, that's up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Real talk Sham - your posting history looks like a lot of making GBS threads on things other people enjoy and generally getting your jollies off making fun of random internet thing. It feels like you've had a rough patch. Please take some time for self care. Best wishes.