Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Instagrams to follow if you like vintage pastel bathrooms are @bwtilecompany (modern reproduction tiles) and @vintagebathroomlove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Dienes posted:

Do you have an example because this is hard to picture.

This is extremely subjective since I think you have to enjoy kitch at least to some degree to find these nice, but these are some toilet rooms I enjoy looking at:

(the fixtures here could be more yellow, or then blue)

I enjoy the colour combinations a lot - they look friendly and welcoming, and a bit surprising. Plus I already have a pink/dark green kitchen so...

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Instagrams to follow if you like vintage pastel bathrooms are @bwtilecompany (modern reproduction tiles) and @vintagebathroomlove
These were very good links, thank you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That first yellow one is not my favorite overall, but I love the floor tile pattern.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Those look so much more welcoming and inviting than the stark white and stainless steel.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm guessing that's not a fridge, but I can't figure out what else it could be.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm guessing that's not a fridge, but I can't figure out what else it could be.

Built-in laundry hamper. Found in some old NYC apartments, especially in Queens for some reason.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I have a huge folder of vintage bathroom pictures that I saved from the Weird Secondhand Finds page on fb when no one could go thrifting so they were posting bathrooms instead.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Doll House Ghost posted:

(the fixtures here could be more yellow, or then blue)

I like this one. It has this kind of cheerful Mexican restaurant vibe. As for the others, I'm not a a huge fan but I get why people like them. Except that horrendous flesh colored tile in the shower of the second to last one. I gleefully tore tile that color out of my last house's bathroom. What's it even called?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I really love midcentury colored tile bathrooms. Some of the combos I could do without (usually when the accent color is black, rather than white), but my dad's old house had a pair of them and they were just really nice to be in. It makes me sad whenever I see a renovation that's destroyed one and replaced it with some boring faux-luxurious dark brown-greige nightmare.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.

Here's the listing, it's picture 5.
https://www.mainelistings.com/listing/3-Maple-Street/20200930135527293679000000

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It feels like a trailer that was expanded into a house which was then expanded a second time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Doll House Ghost posted:

This is extremely subjective since I think you have to enjoy kitch at least to some degree to find these nice, but these are some toilet rooms I enjoy looking at:

I thought the first two were from a house I know. Here's a couple more for the collection.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I found this on tumblr and I think oatmeal influencer needs to come post here.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I kinda want to do the whole vintage pink tile thing when I redo my bathroom but I'll probably just wuss out and go for white tiles and pink wall paint.

Did find that there is a flickr group dedicated to saving pink bathrooms that has a great collection of photos: https://www.flickr.com/groups/savethepinkbathrooms/pool/

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

StormDrain posted:

I thought the first two were from a house I know. Here's a couple more for the collection.

that second picture. where did you find this? the sink and toilet are identical to the ones in our bathroom downstairs. we would love to replace the toilet with a matching one, but we can't find one anywhere

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like all these colorful bathrooms. I dont want any in my home, but they are nice to look at.
I like my bathroom white and sterile to amplify the shame of pooping.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I like this one. It has this kind of cheerful Mexican restaurant vibe. As for the others, I'm not a a huge fan but I get why people like them. Except that horrendous flesh colored tile in the shower of the second to last one. I gleefully tore tile that color out of my last house's bathroom. What's it even called?

Mauve, a gray purple/pink that was huge in the 30's an kind of again in the 80's. That bathroom is totally 1930's, though; you can fin a bunch of vintage ads for that shade of blue/green fixture paired with mauve, purple, and peach tiles.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

there wolf posted:

Mauve, a gray purple/pink that was huge in the 30's an kind of again in the 80's. That bathroom is totally 1930's, though; you can fin a bunch of vintage ads for that shade of blue/green fixture paired with mauve, purple, and peach tiles.

The neighborhood I grew up in was all early to mid 50s construction, and all originally had very similar color palettes for bathrooms, though the sinks were a bit different, shape wise. My girlfriend’s old place in Hollywood (FL) had a white sink just like those though, built early 40s.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
A few years ago I stayed in a roadside motel where the main room was recently renovated in generic mid-2010s commercial style, but the bathroom was still mid-50s pink ceramic

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Chairman posted:

A few years ago I stayed in a roadside motel where the main room was recently renovated in generic mid-2010s commercial style, but the bathroom was still mid-50s pink ceramic

What’s funny is that every time I find a mid century bathroom like that, the thing that stands out to me most is the tile work. Perfect even grout lines, partial tiles are properly hidden behind doors, just really really nice tile work. There’s a greasy spoon diner in Hollywood with the original ~40s mosaic tile floors and walls, and even being in rough condition overall, it’s shockingly good looking.

And then you contrast that to modern tile work, which is almost always a poo poo show of plastic backing and uneven grout lines...

:(

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DELETE CASCADE posted:

that second picture. where did you find this? the sink and toilet are identical to the ones in our bathroom downstairs. we would love to replace the toilet with a matching one, but we can't find one anywhere

Looking to procure a used toilet....

It's in Arvada, Colorado.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my memory was that the ceramics professor at our college got his hands on an unglazed toilet and glazed it using the school kiln, but my brother tells me this is not true. instead, the professor built the toilet himself out of clay, bisqued it, and glazed it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Found this on Pinterest with the original caption from eBay.

quote:

Vintage Ming Green Porcelain American Standard Sink 1950's
Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Vintage Ming Green Porcelain American Standard Sink 1950's at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

But can you get it with that Fiestaware radioactive brightness?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man, if it wouldn't be literally impossible to find a shop willing to make them, I would love actual cobalt glass fixtures. I suppose I could make do with appropriate modern dyes, I guess.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I see vintage tile and weep, because I adore it and it would be five figures and up to pay someone to do it correctly now.

Edit: Check this poo poo out.

http://www.laurelhurstcraftsman.com/2016/01/period-mosaic-floor-tile-catalog.html?m=1#.Vp2E8BqAOko

A few selections from a circa 1900 mosaic floor tile catalog. Full catalog here: https://digital.library.vcu.edu/islandora/object/vcu%3A81#page/1/mode/1up

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 11, 2021

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

By popular demand posted:

But can you get it with that Fiestaware radioactive brightness?

A highly radioactive toilet is a boon to today’s busy housewife. All germs are destroyed by a strong alpha count, and safety is ensured with a simple lead seat.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Vindolanda posted:

A highly radioactive toilet is a boon to today’s busy housewife. All germs are destroyed by a strong alpha count, and safety is ensured with a simple lead seat.

Much like those wall slots for used razors a radioactive fiestaware toilet is only a problem for future owners of the house.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Since most people don't uses double edge razors these days I should mention that they actually solved that used razor blade issue by having them come in a plastic box with a special compartment for the used ones.

No more old houses with an unexpected cavity full of rusted sharp pieces of metal!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Had exactly this color sink in my parents house once, I get all nostalgic seeing that.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Since most people don't uses double edge razors these days I should mention that they actually solved that used razor blade issue by having them come in a plastic box with a special compartment for the used ones.

No more old houses with an unexpected cavity full of rusted sharp pieces of metal!

Ive used those and it’s fine until a blade come shooting out and then you have to pick it up without accidentally cutting under your fingernail etc.

I’ve been using a shavette (secretly, I’m terrified that someone will see and think I’m in training to become a “razor guy”) and Feather makes a little steel box that you drop the blades into. The idea is that the whole thing gets recycled as one. Not sure if I like the idea of giving the recycling guys a box of razor blades but I’ve had it for a few years and there’s plenty of space.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's a pity I don't know any amateur blacksmiths, it's a shame to waste high grade steel like that.

E: also buy a cheapo magnetic grabber, not just for razor blades as it sucks to bend over to get a small screw or whatever.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 11, 2021

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

the blades or the razors come with a box? either way I should probably just buy another drat sharps container, moved recently and left mine behind. Don't wanna stick the garbage folks and cutting yourself on one of these is a bitch and a half

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

zgrowler2 posted:

the blades or the razors come with a box? either way I should probably just buy another drat sharps container, moved recently and left mine behind. Don't wanna stick the garbage folks and cutting yourself on one of these is a bitch and a half

I use a double edge razor, I just toss the old ones in an altoids tin. It's been like 3 years and it's still not even half full.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

zgrowler2 posted:

The blades:

Fresh ones are paper wrapped in a compartment on one side (yellow here) and used ones slide into a shallower compartment on the back.

Then you just toss it in the landfill pile because most recycling places specifically forbid razor blades :goleft:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

zgrowler2 posted:

Just use a sturdy plastic container. I usually use old multivitamin plastic bottles, but if you need more space, laundry detergent bottles work well also. When done, duct tape the lid on and chuck in the regular trash.

I also use these for old nails and screws I've pulled from scrap wood, because those have a way of falling out of garbage bags and ending up in car tires.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

While we're still on the razorblade digression I'd like to mention the only cultural reference to that awful 'Just slip the razors here and let the next house owner deal with it' vanity space:
In the 1996 game Bad Mojo you play as a cockroach, to get past a hungry rat you have to drop a stack of used razors on it.

pic not embeded for photorealistic rat cut by razors.
:nms:https://images.gog-statics.com/bbba4614793dbe8f140f9cf05b3355554704769e252633894707725ef7a630d8_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg:nms:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That is way more terrifying to me than the dead rat. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010