Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I'm glad Wash is a true hero unlike that old dude who quit when things got hard.

I like to think the author couldn't figure out what his powers should be so they had him retire instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aurubin posted:

I like to think the author couldn't figure out what his powers should be so they had him retire instead.

Maybe his quirk was being super old. So he's actually only like nineteen, but he's like froppy only instead of having cool animal powers he has old man powers. Like osteopenia.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How did that guy even end up in the top 10?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

He's been around for a long time, so presumably he's pretty good at his job. They even mentioned he could have retired years ago, but kept going instead. Maybe he would have been better of retiring when he had the chance.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

everybody else was dead

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Wash is like the 3rd ranked hero rn.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is anyone ahead of him not incapacitated? He should be acting #1

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
People are probably over the idea of the hero rankings at this point.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eggplant Squire posted:

Best Jeanist and Edgeshot are still kicking around. No word on Kamui Woods but I think he made it out fine.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This is actually the story of how Wash became the greatest hero.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

At this point I don’t think the citizens care too much about the hero rankings (or possibly heroes in general) anymore.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let's see, here's how it looks:

1: Endeavor - Alive but super deflated
2: Hawks - Wings might grow back and then he'll be okay? Voice isn't too good though
3: Best Jeanist - Death was greatly exaggerated, holding himself together
4: Edgeshot - Beat Redestro with a bit of injury, but mostly seems okay
5: Mirko - Losing limbs is only gonna make her stronger
6: Crust - A real hero, but loving dead
7: Kamui Woods - Beaten up pretty badly along with Mt. Lady but survived
8: Wash - On his way to the top, baby!
9: Yoroi Musha - I'm old
10: Ryuko - Not heavily injured against Shigiraki

Only 2 are completely out for the count, the others can come back after a bit of time. This will put Gang Orca as 10th, the old 11th ranked hero was never shown.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

For some reason I thought Wash was number 3 or something. Good for him on this career opportunity.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eggplant Squire posted:

For some reason I thought Wash was number 3 or something. Good for him on this career opportunity.

Somewhere Stain shivers violently

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eej posted:

Somewhere Stain shivers violently

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Didn't Edgeshot lose an arm or something in the panel with Redestro beaten or was that another of them?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ChaseSP posted:

Didn't Edgeshot lose an arm or something in the panel with Redestro beaten or was that another of them?

I think his arm wasn't drawn but his power involves unwinding himself so he was probably just using his arm to pierce some evil doers

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of his arms was totally crushed.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We won't have a good idea on how injured Edgeshot, Woods, or Ryuko are until we catch up to them in the story.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The rankings are in large part a popularity contest. An old hero like Yoroi probably has a lot of old diehard fans.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Someone's gotta make a parody of that classic XMen cover with all the mutant posters saying "Killed" and "Arrested" and swap it for the MHA top ten.

This is all setup for the time travel arc where Deku with an eye-patch will go back to warn everyone, so we can revert things enough to get Wacky School Hijinks again.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if Rappa got out in any of those prison breaks? He needs to have a showdown with Mirko at some point after those recent Vigilantes chapters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, did anything happen to Mirko’s legs or was it just her arm?

Either way you’d probably have to straight up kill her to take her out of commission for good, she’ll be fine.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Larryb posted:

I forget, did anything happen to Mirko’s legs or was it just her arm?

Either way you’d probably have to straight up kill her to take her out of commission for good, she’ll be fine.

The focus was on her arm, with the turnicate and everything after it got ripped off, but she also got her leg got hosed up too

Also her other thigh
also a chunk of her chest
tip of one of her ears also got a little hosed up

I look forward to her getting robot implants and being back better than ever

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So long as Mirko has a single muscle fiber in her shin, she will never stop kicking you.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I Am Fowl posted:

The rankings are in large part a popularity contest. An old hero like Yoroi probably has a lot of old diehard fans.

Yeah, popularity has a lot to do with the ranks. I think it was established that Endeavor actually had more missions and cases solved than All Might did, but due to his poo poo rear end personality (and the fact that All Might tends to handle things in a more grand and dramatic fashion), he could never take the #1 spot. It's also why Hawks was already #3 by the time he was 22 - in addition to his quirk being amazing, he's super charming and personable and spends a lot of time down on the streets just talking to people. I think given a few more years of status quo, Endeavor probably would have lost the #2 spot to Hawks (or even lost the #1 spot if All Might retired anyway).

Yoroi's quirk is probably some lame poo poo like "super good with a sword" but he's been around for 50 years so he's got a ton of fans still rooting for him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Like Froppy his power was 'A Samurai'.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi hadn't posted many sketches through his own account lately and I completely forgot that he was doing art for an expo, and the series' account is tweeting some of them.

https://twitter.com/myheroacademia/status/1360122062585491458?s=20

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Spoilers are out in the wild, and parts of the fandom are going to have a huge meltdown and lots of internet slap-fights once it hits.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Warden posted:

Spoilers are out in the wild, and parts of the fandom are going to have a huge meltdown and lots of internet slap-fights once it hits.

Well share with the class

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's really only one thing it could be, something's gonna go down with Endeavour and his family.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Endeavor is the new main character and it's revealed he was the person talking about becoming the greatest hero at the very beginning.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Todoroki family past.
Rei's parents were old money and looking for a suitable husband for her. She also had the choice of not getting hitched to Endeavour, but chose to do so.
After it turned out that Toya was weak to heat on genetic level, Endeavour stopped training him because it was too dangerous, but Toya kept trying to train nevertheless despite both of his parents trying to get him to stop, with Endeavour flat-out telling him there's plenty to life besides being hero and he should make friends at school and play outside with his siblings.
Toya kept becoming more and more unstable as Enji and Rei's marriage deteriorated, obsessed with proving his father that he could surpass All-Might.
When Shouto was a baby Toya snapped and tried to attack Rei and baby-Shouto with his flames.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
:allears:

Oh, I can't WAIT for the Dabi-stan backlash.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

:allears:

Oh, I can't WAIT for the Dabi-stan backlash.
It's not a "this isn't Endeavor's fault" thing, it's just that Endeavor didn't FORCE Touya to burn himself to death.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I had already strongly suspected that Touya had burned himself up out of sheer jealousy and not anything Endeavor deliberately did. The news that he tried to attack Rei and Shouto as a child is huge though. Honestly, everything that happened with Touya really explains (but doesn't excuse) why Endeavor had such a hard downslide into abuse with his family. Obsessively training Shouto was probably his way of trying to maintain control over his children so nothing as horrible as Touya's apparent death could happen again. He went way past too far but you can sort of see where he was coming from.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can't wait to see who'll be more annoying. The freshly pissed off Dabi stans, or the Endeavor Did Nothing Wrong crew feeling freshly vindicated.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 12, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't know who'll bet he most annoying, but I know which horse I'm sticking to when it comes to be annoying. #EndeavourDidNothingWrong

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CuwiKhons posted:

I had already strongly suspected that Touya had burned himself up out of sheer jealousy and not anything Endeavor deliberately did. The news that he tried to attack Rei and Shouto as a child is huge though. Honestly, everything that happened with Touya really explains (but doesn't excuse) why Endeavor had such a hard downslide into abuse with his family. Obsessively training Shouto was probably his way of trying to maintain control over his children so nothing as horrible as Touya's apparent death could happen again. He went way past too far but you can sort of see where he was coming from.
I figured Touya trying to "prove himself" to Endeavor and immolating himself was the likely case since Endeavor if anything is pragmatic in his approach to his goals. If Touya destroys himself using his flames, that makes him useless to Endeavor- thus why would Endeavor continue to train him? There's a panel where he looks loving weirdly, perversely happy at Shoto's birth- so it's clear he was just like "okay yeah, Touya isn't working- moving on". He probably isn't the kind of person who'd say "you're a worthless piece of poo poo Touya, Shoto is replacing you," but more of a "Okay, you're dismissed now. Have a nice life." Which is lovely but on brand I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's a little more of a plausible slippery slope down toward the Endeavour we met way back at the sports tournament - it explains, without excusing, how he became what he did. It also does do a lot to flesh out the other members of the family and how things got to where they were when Shoto had his face burned. Hero quirk genetics aside, it actually does remind me a lot of being born into family drama in-progress, where you don't have any of the context for why people are the way they are and your family isn't in a big hurry to fill you in.

It's looking like Endeavour won't be able to just give up, but I wonder what his next move will be. Will he try to stay the #1 hero in the midst of social collapse? Will he set that aside and just go straight after his son? Is Shoto going with him or staying put?