Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's Meetings-free Friday! Join this Zoom call at 3pm, ATTENDANCE IS MANDATORY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You get the meetings for free!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Marmaduke! posted:

We're a cool, hip, carefree company! Feel free to have a beverage during the meeting!

(Yeah, thanks for giving me permission to drink one of my own beers)

VVV holy mary mother of god!

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 12, 2021

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

~Coxy posted:

We're a cool, hip, carefree company! Feel free to have a beverage during the meeting!

(Yeah, thanks for giving me permission to drink one of my own beers)

My job is WFH right now but they do a thing where they randomly call you up to come in for a drug and alcohol test during work hours. Once you answer the phone and engage in convo they spring it on you and you have 2 hours to come in and take the test, otherwise it counts as a failed test. This has gotten two people fired so far for failed breathalyzer (has to be 0.0).

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Full Metal Jackass posted:

My job is WFH right now but they do a thing where they randomly call you up to come in for a drug and alcohol test during work hours. Once you answer the phone and engage in convo they spring it on you and you have 2 hours to come in and take the test, otherwise it counts as a failed test. This has gotten two people fired so far for failed breathalyzer (has to be 0.0).

I have to know, what job can be done WFH that would have this as a requirement?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

Hell, what job even does that poo poo to their white collar workers?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Volmarias posted:

Hell, what job even does that poo poo to their white collar workers?

Yea the only place I’ve seen is something like this was in manufacturing for the actual machine operators or engineers who will be in the plant. Never seen anything like this in engineering that’s done purely in office.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just don’t answer the phone. So simple

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

CarForumPoster posted:

Nuclear power.

1redflag posted:

Just don’t answer the phone. So simple

One time I didn't answer the phone so my boss called me on teams and I didn't answer the teams call so he messaged me saying "it shows you're online???" Woops.

Full Metal Jackass fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 12, 2021

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CarForumPoster posted:

Drone operator?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The dumb thing my company did was promote me so now I spend lots of time telling co-workers “‘my job is to make sure you do your job”

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

The dumb thing my company did was promote me so now I spend lots of time telling co-workers “‘my job is to make sure you do your job”

are you me?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Derpies posted:

are you me?

Considering these are both my accounts, yes

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
TBH my work did that for me as well (promotion where I work to QA other people's work and educate them while also getting them to correct their work, without being their supervisor). I'm still trying to strike that balance between being helpful and nice or being helpful and not so nice.

As far as a dumb thing we do, our IT systems are archaic, our hardware sucks, and our VPN only has like 1/100th of the bandwidth required per user to use the design software we use for facilities projects so every project is behind schedule unless the designers have masked up and gone into the office while we're on 100% telework during covid. Otherwise the designers are working weird super-late hours every day or during weekend hours when the VPN isn't overwhelmed (but it's still slow). We're the one group that should be able to telework basically 100% of the time and to work anywhere in the country while traveling because we literally have workstation laptops so we can do just that. Nope, better keep this underperforming IT contract that wastes thousands of labor hours every year if not every month across all our employees. Oh, no we're not going to resolve IT issues, replace this under-performing IT contractor, or increase funding to brute-force-resolve the issue. Oh, what's that, we're not able to support this workload? OK, let's hire about sixty more designers and give all the tech refresh workstation laptops that were supposed to go to designers with 4-year-old laptops that are nearly dead to these new contract employees we hire. Also, make all of these folks go through the same decrepit VPN network and compete for bandwidth! What do you mean we're still having production/throughput issues? Well, hire even more people then! No, we're not giving you funding to get those folks with now-5-year-old laptops upgraded, give the next batch of tech refresh laptops to the new employees! OK, we'll fund your several-hundred-designer group to acquire four spare laptops since you've had about twelve fan failures on these crappy workstation platforms but NO MORE. MAKE DO.

Hmm, other silly things? We rolled out a new financial system in late FY19 and spent all of FY20 wrestling with it and increasingly realizing that the system was completely goddamn hopeless and in addition to it taking two hours to get your timesheet sorted every two weeks there were so many problems with our timekeeping software that this new financial system didn't accomplish any of its intended goals. It really just wasted a crapload of everybody's time (especially our accounting department's time) and didn't make us easier to audit. What used to be a 6-8 digit series of letters and numbers you could pull from the "financial" tab in our project tracking database was now an incomprehensible string of like 22 characters and numbers that you couldn't look up in our project tracking database (for 80% of projects). Every 1, 2, or 3 characters/numbers meant something different like "this is their work center" or "this is the type of hour code used here (overtime, regular time, leave, etc)" or some other inane garbage that I couldn't figure out. They'd give us instructions on how to enter and edit these massive, complex financial numbers for each project (and EACH PROJECT had a different one with like 80 different projects across my group, half of which I might get involved with) and then you'd go to enter them in and they'd get rejected and you couldn't put your time in. So you'd ask the accounting folks about why these things weren't working and the solution every time more or less amounted to "use this generic financial number and put the project number in this field so we can charge it right later". That process later became standard for every single project and all the work they did to create these 100% audit ready accounting numbers for each project ended up being tossed out because it didn't work. You'd still get chided for entering these codes wrong because they changed, and they didn't tell anybody, but hey go back in and correct your time sheet with these numbers instead the ones you used aren't valid.

Oh, what's happening now in FY21? They just announced they're going to start introducing these accounting numbers again starting with our largest project types and it will basically start the process all over again. Time sheets will once again start to throw annoying errors that we can't resolve and we'll spend 1.5 hours doing our time every 2 weeks. :thumbsup:

Benefit of being one of those QA buttholes now is that I don't have to do design work, just to review it, so I can work around most of these issues. My downtime to IT issues, time keeping issues, and the other inefficiencies/red tape that plague us don't matter because my productivity numbers are still great even if I were to decide to spend 1/4 of the week watching netflix. God help me if this place ever collapses and I lose my job, I'll have to learn to become cutthroat productive again.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of complaints about Teams, often in this thread, but Lordy-loo Skype for Business is soooo much worse and why would anyone prefer that?

I'm not saying Teams is perfect, it definitely suffers from feature bloat, but the basic things that it replaces Skype for (chatting, calls, screen sharing, etc...) is worlds better.

At my idiot old job, the thumb-brained "operations manager" kept insisting that Team does not have breakout room functionality and therefore we had to delay product launch.

Cut to a week later, I'm literally interviewing someone for a teaching position and she tells me "What? I've been using breakout rooms in Teams for months" so THANKS, DUMBFUCK.

Other things dumbfuck did:

- Introduced himself as "Dave" to an applicant. His name is Dan. Instead of correcting himself and laughing it off like a normal person, he stuck with it the whole time.

- In the middle of saying goodbye to an interviewee, he suddenly launches into a 20-minute rant about how much he hates our platform (which he chose) and how hard it is to convert our product to fit the functionality of the platform (you mean, the one we could have chosen before we started designing things to FIT the platform? I was told it was "impossible" to ever choose an LMS in advance of designing a curriculum, which is funny because no one else I've ever done curriculum development for had that problem!) and then came directly for me by just saying "Nepotism won't get you everywhere" (I am not related to him or anyone at the company, but they contacted me on the recommendation of a family member HE is friends with, so I guess he thinks that's nepotism!) The applicant went from excited to horrified and very quietly dropped out.

- Deleted ALL the punctuation from our presentations (again, these are educational materials). When confronted, he started yelling at me that if I wanted the presentations to be correct, I should have corrected them. When I replied that not only had I already done so, but am having to do it again due to his interference, he banned me from meetings.

- Confused applicants to the point where they were calling me in tears because I was the only one who responded to them at all. This means I also bore the brunt for all of the poo poo my company was pulling.

- Paid a trainee more money than I make to attend a training that I had fully developed and was conducting at the time. I only know this because she sent me her contract to look over because it was all hosed up.

- Blamed female POC staff members for his mistakes every time, even when I had screenshots that proved the mistakes were his fault.

Yeah, I don't miss the job.

e:

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol What did he say when he found out you were right

Also what the hell is that some kind of weird backhanded compliment

I don't miss working in Tokyo at a Japanese company at all lmao

He didn't acknowledge it. As for the comment, it was less hilarious than the time he explained to me how lesbian relationships work and how one of them must be the man in bed, so I just said "That's a hosed-up thing to say out of nowhere" and then moved on.

I also do not miss working in Tokyo or for a Japanese company, although I would find this kind of stupid pushback more acceptable from a Japanese man who has been largely socialized to behave that way. Unfortunately, these dudes are fully Spanish.

The one who explained how lesbians work to me, a pansexual woman, is a virgin and about 31. His cohort, also around 30, has had one relationship, with his cousin, that started when she was 19 and he was 26. I know it was his cousin because he brings it up A LOT. He also once complained to me that the maid knocks his Gundams over and puts them back out of order.

I like this job very much but I don't like most of my coworkers.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 12, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

- Introduced himself as "Dave" to an applicant. His name is Dan. Instead of correcting himself and laughing it off like a normal person, he stuck with it the whole time.

He... He got his own name wrong? :psyduck:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I just mentioned to a colleague yesterday about how often in my life I've been called David instead of Daniel and she was really surprised that people can make that mistake. I blame that old manager!!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

He... He got his own name wrong? :psyduck:

Yes, and when the applicant said "Wait, I thought your name was Dan," Dan insisted it was Dave and just kept on swingin'. HE DOES NOT MAKE MISTAKES EVER!!! MISTAKES ARE JUST WHAT OTHER PEOPLE DO TO HIM!!!!!

Marmaduke! posted:

I just mentioned to a colleague yesterday about how often in my life I've been called David instead of Daniel and she was really surprised that people can make that mistake. I blame that old manager!!

My name is "Jen" and the number of times I've been called "Jan" or "Jana" and "Jenny" or "Janet" are bananas.
(My name isn't Jen, but it's another very basic name, so permutations abound)

Dumb stuff people did today:
-
Team Incel insisted on rewriting a scene that had been in the can for a couple weeks. They kept breaking the fourth wall. This is not allowed. My boss said "Don't break the fourth wall. This needs to be changed." Instead of apologizing and adjusting the script, they decide to try and convince him that this is the best way to handle the scene. He got so mad, he took the document away from them entirely.

It's with me now. *cuddles bowdlerized scene tenderly*

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Yesterday I sent in a ticket to have some access added to my account.

Instead they wiped all my access for that program and I can't do my job this morning.

That's a lol.

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

[insert clever comment here]

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

At my idiot old job, the thumb-brained "operations manager" kept insisting that Team does not have breakout room functionality and therefore we had to delay product launch.

Cut to a week later, I'm literally interviewing someone for a teaching position and she tells me "What? I've been using breakout rooms in Teams for months" so THANKS, DUMBFUCK.

Other things dumbfuck did:

- In the middle of saying goodbye to an interviewee, he suddenly launches into a 20-minute rant about how much he hates our platform (which he chose) and how hard it is to convert our product to fit the functionality of the platform (you mean, the one we could have chosen before we started designing things to FIT the platform? I was told it was "impossible" to ever choose an LMS in advance of designing a curriculum, which is funny because no one else I've ever done curriculum development for had that problem!) and then came directly for me by just saying "Nepotism won't get you everywhere" (I am not related to him or anyone at the company, but they contacted me on the recommendation of a family member HE is friends with, so I guess he thinks that's nepotism!) The applicant went from excited to horrified and very quietly dropped out.

- Deleted ALL the punctuation from our presentations (again, these are educational materials). When confronted, he started yelling at me that if I wanted the presentations to be correct, I should have corrected them. When I replied that not only had I already done so, but am having to do it again due to his interference, he banned me from meetings.

- Confused applicants to the point where they were calling me in tears because I was the only one who responded to them at all. This means I also bore the brunt for all of the poo poo my company was pulling.

- Paid a trainee more money than I make to attend a training that I had fully developed and was conducting at the time. I only know this because she sent me her contract to look over because it was all hosed up.

- Blamed female POC staff members for his mistakes every time, even when I had screenshots that proved the mistakes were his fault.

Yeah, I don't miss the job.

e:

He didn't acknowledge it. As for the comment, it was less hilarious than the time he explained to me how lesbian relationships work and how one of them must be the man in bed, so I just said "That's a hosed-up thing to say out of nowhere" and then moved on.

I also do not miss working in Tokyo or for a Japanese company, although I would find this kind of stupid pushback more acceptable from a Japanese man who has been largely socialized to behave that way. Unfortunately, these dudes are fully Spanish.

The one who explained how lesbians work to me, a pansexual woman, is a virgin and about 31. His cohort, also around 30, has had one relationship, with his cousin, that started when she was 19 and he was 26. I know it was his cousin because he brings it up A LOT. He also once complained to me that the maid knocks his Gundams over and puts them back out of order.

Dan sounds classy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom is a boomer, as are many in her department, and WFH since last March. Her company has decided to send out new desktop computers with the vaguest of instructions as to how to set up a new log-in and etc. Tech support is open from 8am to 5pm. Standard working hours for almost everyone. I have been playing a lot of tech support as of late.

Oh, and they still get Special Teambuilder Exercises, but online versions. So there's dumb poo poo like everyone Zooms in and acts out a skit and you have to guess the movie.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Marmaduke! posted:

You motherfucker! Reading this made me check my calendar.

"Meetings-free Friday" is one of the few bright spots for me right now. The amount of work I can get done without having not a single block of meetings each day is staggering compared to days when I have multiple, all non-contiguous blocks.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Theres many people at my job who have meetings the entire day. I'm not aware of them producing a single thing though. They are making a career out of meetings and "staying engaged." God bless em

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m about to write a list about “perhaps these things to consider” for a potential highly bespoke platform built from the ground up that my org is trying to make, despite the hundreds of similar platforms we can use already existing.

This platform is to be done by late spring and uhhhh I ain’t seen poo poo from it.

Let alone beta test it.

Let alone run a test file with several adjacent and accessory files.

Let alone specifications being generated.

A ton of money is riding on this.

Ah.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

Yesterday I sent in a ticket to have some access added to my account.

Instead they wiped all my access for that program and I can't do my job this morning.

That's a lol.

lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

teen witch posted:

I’m about to write a list about “perhaps these things to consider” for a potential highly bespoke platform built from the ground up that my org is trying to make, despite the hundreds of similar platforms we can use already existing.

This platform is to be done by late spring and uhhhh I ain’t seen poo poo from it.

Let alone beta test it.

Let alone run a test file with several adjacent and accessory files.

Let alone specifications being generated.

A ton of money is riding on this.

Ah.

Do people ever realise they're not going to be able to deliver, delete everything from the server and try to blame IT for tanking the project?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I am kind of glad I have to come into work everyday to avoid the hell of consistent zoom meetings. Unfortunately it means that I am dealing with people every day who don't want to wear masks but want to get into your face about everything. The joys of working with a office full of boomers and you are the youngest office staff.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TacticalHoodie posted:

I am kind of glad I have to come into work everyday to avoid the hell of consistent zoom meetings. Unfortunately it means that I am dealing with people every day who don't want to wear masks but want to get into your face about everything. The joys of working with a office full of boomers and you are the youngest office staff.

One wrong sneeze and you could claim the title of seniority by right of conquest.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Theres many people at my job who have meetings the entire day. I'm not aware of them producing a single thing though. They are making a career out of meetings and "staying engaged." God bless em

A ton of the people I work with are in meetings from 8-4 every day and block out segments for lunch. I don't think I've actually ever walked away/hung up on a meeting where something was accomplished, but I only get invited to meetings where purchasing issues are on the agenda and those usually involve everyone asking me when things will arrive or me pleading we stop buying Nvidia 210 cards or using servermonkey.com as a source for hardware. Thankfully, this means most of my day is occupied with trying to track down ancient electronics instead of looking at metrics.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Fuckin A! That's messed up

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My current job is one of the better ones I've had except for a few stupid things. One of those things is they have all this weird cult like stuff which includes everything from how we structure our meetings to reporting to our bosses and poo poo. It's dumb crap like "at the start of every meeting every person in that meeting reports 1 bit or personal good news and one bit of professional good news." I had to read -several- books just to know the stupid shortcut termonology they're using. It's so loving dumb and now we're all hardwired for it and guess what? We got bought out and my boss got fired so that's all going away.

Speaking of getting bought out...

So this new company outta Boston buys us at the end of last year, and they decide to hold a company meeting at our offices with their bosses there to talk about it. 2 hour mandatory meeting for everyone in the company, it was basically new hire orientation. My entire team was told we had to be there physically (we're working remotely but "encouraged" to come in on Mondays.) This was Jan 6th.

Everyone in one room for two hours. The guys talking at the front did not wear masks. Of course of them tests positive for the 'rona the next week. We get told about that on the 13th, when I start to feel lovely. I tested positive on Friday, along with a few other coworkers, and my whole team is crippled the next week as we both had to call out sick all week. That poo poo sucked and I can still barely smell anything.

So we're off to the right foot with this merger.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Pekinduck posted:

Here ya go! from "Graveyard Grandma" who sadly doesn't seem to be active anymore

https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

I like to go back and re-read this every few years. Such a classic.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oh, and they still get Special Teambuilder Exercises, but online versions. So there's dumb poo poo like everyone Zooms in and acts out a skit and you have to guess the movie.

Turn on your camera and do the Goodbye Horses dance

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

oldpainless posted:

At our staff meeting last month, my boss was going through the online training. She explained that hers looked a little bit different from ours. When she had her screen on the projector, the first unfinished task was titled ‘Help! Who made me the boss?’

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Tristesse posted:

My current job is one of the better ones I've had except for a few stupid things. One of those things is they have all this weird cult like stuff which includes everything from how we structure our meetings to reporting to our bosses and poo poo. It's dumb crap like "at the start of every meeting every person in that meeting reports 1 bit or personal good news and one bit of professional good news." I had to read -several- books just to know the stupid shortcut termonology they're using. It's so loving dumb and now we're all hardwired for it and guess what? We got bought out and my boss got fired so that's all going away.

Speaking of getting bought out...

So this new company outta Boston buys us at the end of last year, and they decide to hold a company meeting at our offices with their bosses there to talk about it. 2 hour mandatory meeting for everyone in the company, it was basically new hire orientation. My entire team was told we had to be there physically (we're working remotely but "encouraged" to come in on Mondays.) This was Jan 6th.

Everyone in one room for two hours. The guys talking at the front did not wear masks. Of course of them tests positive for the 'rona the next week. We get told about that on the 13th, when I start to feel lovely. I tested positive on Friday, along with a few other coworkers, and my whole team is crippled the next week as we both had to call out sick all week. That poo poo sucked and I can still barely smell anything.

So we're off to the right foot with this merger.

I'd be so furious about that. You should sue them for putting you in that situation where getting infected is so insanely likely. gently caress those people.

I take my health more seriously than any job, and I've already had to set some boundaries at my work because there are some risks I refuse to take and I don't give a gently caress what the standard policy is. If something seems unsafe to me I'm not doing it, period.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Play posted:

I'd be so furious about that. You should sue them for putting you in that situation where getting infected is so insanely likely. gently caress those people.

I take my health more seriously than any job, and I've already had to set some boundaries at my work because there are some risks I refuse to take and I don't give a gently caress what the standard policy is. If something seems unsafe to me I'm not doing it, period.

gently caress, lost sense smell as a result of mandated work activity? That's a workers comp claim right there.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Play posted:

For most people this is called "getting fired".

They really just need to hold employers responsible for stuff like this, like criminal negligence charges, but that's never gonna actually happen. Maybe at most some widows and widowers might get a small settlement.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pekinduck posted:

Here ya go! from "Graveyard Grandma" who sadly doesn't seem to be active anymore

https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

What a fantastic read! I hope, for his sake, that all of that was actually real and not just a work of fiction, because that rules.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I feel like you could have just written this part, and all of the rest would just be implicitly implied. I'm actually surprised these people can even function in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol they're trying to ram through an exception where companies can't be held liable if all their employees die of covid so good luck with the lawsuit or trying to find a different job