Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Give me all the bright colored handles. I lose things throughout the job in front of my face and drop everything through the engine bay onto a slope where it hides behind a tire.

Or I decide after 10 times of hooking the tape to my toolbag this time I'll just leave it on the ground. I'm the guy with the playskool looking tool bag on purpose.

I’ve extended this philosophy to nearly my entire life, and I have nothing but happiness to report. Funky colors are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I lost a 15mm impact socket that was literally a foot from my nose Monday. Gimme the brightly colored ones too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yep, and especially if they are comfortable.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

LobsterboyX posted:

HIIIOOOOOOOO

got my new gut tickler out back behind the shed- she needs a new belt and a good rewire job, but she works just fine - another one ticked off the list of my 40s craftsman collection - may not look like it, but this hernia heavy.

do I.....

https://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html

or do I.....

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Twist-Plus-Link-V-Belt/dp/B08D8ZL9PM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=link+v+belt&qid=1612852432&sr=8-3

I have the exact same saw. It's heavy, but works. I think any belt will work.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I had asked about mobile saw bases earlier.

Here is the saw in question. I got it cleaned up some and moved into the basement. I need to get a new blade but I’m looking forward to making some stuff with it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

kastein posted:

I lost a 15mm impact socket that was literally a foot from my nose Monday. Gimme the brightly colored ones too.

I saw an advert awhile back for some matte black Dewalt sockets. Whoever came up with that idea has never actually used a socket.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've wanted an airbag shim since the cops used one to open my door when I locked my key inside. It took until this week to see they've dropped to like $10. Wish I had one every time I was working on a house door. Or any number of things that had to move fractions.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Big Taint posted:

I just happened to buy a set of Blair Rotabroach cutters to make holes in steel plate/tubing for the tubing bender I’m making, I’ll report back.

Verdict: fantastic. Very clean cuts, faster than the same size drill, not a lot of heat buildup. The chips were long and stringy and tended to wind up on the chuck and sling cutting fluid all over so I had to stop a few times per hole and clear those. Overall much less mess though, the middle of the hole would drop out cleanly at the end of the cut. The bigger cutters (did 7/8” and 1” holes today) got all the way through 1/2” plate no problem but the 5/8” cutter couldn’t quite get to the bottom. It wasn’t easy to get the larger cutters off the arbor after several cuts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boxen posted:

I saw an advert awhile back for some matte black Dewalt sockets. Whoever came up with that idea has never actually used a socket.

You mean impact sockets? I've rarely seen them in any other finish and pretty much anyone who works on cars has one or more sets.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Good point, I don't think I've ever seen impact sockets in anthing but flat black either.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I would actually pay a bit for some decent impact sockets, phosphate coated, in some sort of high viz color.

the only option i've seen has been rubber coated VDE, and you compromise size and torque with those.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Motronic posted:

You mean impact sockets? I've rarely seen them in any other finish and pretty much anyone who works on cars has one or more sets.

Stanley and DeWalt, at least, have black oxide coated non-impact tools.

There's some push to eliminate chrome plating, since the plating process is environmentally unfriendly.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Plasti dip! I kind of want to grab a cheap rail from HF and spray a set I have that's flat black. I don't even care that it'll be super uneven coverage.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Plasti dip! I kind of want to grab a cheap rail from HF and spray a set I have that's flat black. I don't even care that it'll be super uneven coverage.

Don’t even take them off the rail. I’m legit tempted to give it a go one of these quiet winter days, but I should probably not spray over what’s left of the size engravings on my decade old set.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 14, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

That's still a thickness problem.

I can think of several sets of wheels I've had/still own where ANYTHING past a standard impact won't fit in the lug barrel.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thin coat of obnoxiously bright spray paint? I mean it'll wear off over time, but shouldn't impact thickness enough for most purposes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

I can think of several sets of wheels I've had/still own where ANYTHING past a standard impact won't fit in the lug barrel.

The set of ar62s I got for the Honcho won't even fit a standard impact. Very annoying, I would have had them on weeks ago but now this has led to a spiral of work scope expansion from "bolt on new wheels" to "bolt on new wheels with new lug nuts" to "replace lovely lug studs and bolt on new wheels with new lug nuts" to "make hydraulic cylinder adaptor to put in 16 new lug studs, put in new lug studs, bolt on new wheels with new lug nuts" to "hmmmm I guess I should do the ebrake stuff while I've got the rotors off to do the lug studs..."

And then it snowed a foot and a half and as a result I have done none of this

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

And then it snowed a foot and a half and as a result I have done none of this
Goonproject.txt

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Motronic posted:

Do the other (ratchet) end and just do the tips. If I were to do it that'd be my plan, and color code them by size. But then :effort:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Black oxide is used on a lot of industrial geared tools, I found this neat explanation:

https://hausoftools.com/blogs/news/chrome-finish-vs-black-oxide-finish

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Motronic posted:

Elviscat posted:

Stanley and DeWalt, at least, have black oxide coated non-impact tools.

Yeah, I'm aware of impact sockets.
I think this is the specific set I saw. Turns out it's not matte black, but still bad enough.

https://www.dewalt.com/product-repository/products-dewalt/2017/10/11/12/08/dwmt81522

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nitsuga posted:

Don’t even take them off the rail. I’m legit tempted to give it a go one of these quiet winter days, but I should probably not spray over what’s left of the size engravings on my decade old set.

Yeah exactly! That's why I want a cheap rail though, I'll just pop them off and toss the rail. The rail also protects the drive opening from getting clogged.

Motronic posted:

Yeah for sure, since I never want it to come off I'll probably use regular spray paint in a dayglo color.

Also, just don't paint that size? Or sand another down the one time that happens? Solutions don't have to be perfect for every use.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

boxen posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of impact sockets.
I think this is the specific set I saw. Turns out it's not matte black, but still bad enough.

https://www.dewalt.com/product-repository/products-dewalt/2017/10/11/12/08/dwmt81522

People pay money to look tacticool.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Yeah exactly! That's why I want a cheap rail though, I'll just pop them off and toss the rail. The rail also protects the drive opening from getting clogged.

Yeah for sure, since I never want it to come off I'll probably use regular spray paint in a dayglo color.

Also, just don't paint that size? Or sand another down the one time that happens? Solutions don't have to be perfect for every use.

Ah, that's a fair point. I didn't even think of any functional reason for my laziness. But yeah, I think I'll just tape the rail decently enough and call it a day. It's a $10 Tekton rail, so I won't be heart broken to get some bright pink overspray on the thing.

Probably should wait until I'm done painting doors that had similar crimes done to them though.

Anyway, carry on tool thread. May all your 10mm sockets return home soon.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I used some nail polish to paint my metric sockets with this color coding.

The paint I used doesn't have enough contrast between the green and yellow and the orange and red pink, so I would alternate the warm and cool colors next time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Double posting this here and in HCH tools thread to get more exposure to people that might only post in one forum or the other.

Looking for a set of Carbide burrs to use in my die grinder. I don't want, and probably don't need the most expensive poo poo ever, but whats a decent brand that won't break the bank for a set of 4-5 burrs of varying designs (ball, cylinder, taper etc). Is something like that available in the sub 100$ CDN range?
Using these for shaping/grinding steel. Typically mild steel not tool steel, or hardened or anything like that.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Uthor posted:

I used some nail polish to paint my metric sockets with this color coding.

The paint I used doesn't have enough contrast between the green and yellow and the orange and red pink, so I would alternate the warm and cool colors next time.

Purple! Purple is the key!

Hypnolobster posted:

Did the Sheldon Brown color coding thing, and after 2 days working with it I'm already in love.

Swapped the orange option out for purple, probably going to find some skinnier tape eventually to mark shallow sockets, but I grab deepwells 75% of the time anyways.

Over a year now using these colors at home and at work and it's pretty perfect. The tape on the sockets is getting somewhat ragged but it's still on there and it's not difficult to fix.

e: hey wait you replied to that post :v:

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 15, 2021

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

wesleywillis posted:

Double posting this here and in HCH tools thread to get more exposure to people that might only post in one forum or the other.

Looking for a set of Carbide burrs to use in my die grinder. I don't want, and probably don't need the most expensive poo poo ever, but whats a decent brand that won't break the bank for a set of 4-5 burrs of varying designs (ball, cylinder, taper etc). Is something like that available in the sub 100$ CDN range?
Using these for shaping/grinding steel. Typically mild steel not tool steel, or hardened or anything like that.

I've bought individual grobet rotary files before, they have been great, but cost around $20 each. I got tempted recently by some $15 Chinese burrs, will have to see how they are once they arrive. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000162976868.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3ea74c4dE3bRtt

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

wesleywillis posted:

One I got on aliexpress has been good so far, hasn't seen heavy use though. Could be worth getting some if the price is right (and they ever show up)

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
So I'm looking to start buying some nicer to decent cordless tools, what ecosystem should I go with? I have a mix of hand-me-down corded tools and a cordless single drill I don't mind orphaning. Looking to get general around the house/light mechanic/DIY building stuff tools but I'm not a wood worker or wrenching all the time.

First tool would probably be a sawzall so recommendations on that specifically would be appreciated as well.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Milwaukee for sure. If I had to start over everything would be M18 Fuel Milwaukee. That said my Dewalt poo poo won't break which prevents me from switching lol.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Makita, of course. Team teal for lyfe.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
I can suggest. Skip the box stores and see if you have a nearby plumbing supply house. Or contractor specific tool supply.
I needed a propress crimper. Sure I could get it at HD, but a local plumbing supply store had the Milwaukee sales flyers, free radio & flashlight promo with a single tool purchase. Better prices too.
Milwaukee or the blue brand. But you want to check out your trade specific store, because companies have free tool giveaway flyers and other promos. too.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita are all good. Milwaukee probably has the largest ecosystem. Bosch & Makita are probably the most expensive. Other than that, I think they're all pretty interchangeable.

I have a lot of red tools and I'm very happy with them. Depending on what you're cutting, Milwaukee has a 12v hackzall (one handed sawzall, basically), an 18v hackzall, and an 18v sawzall. Definitely prefer the 18v for these.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita are all good. Milwaukee probably has the largest ecosystem. Bosch & Makita are probably the most expensive. Other than that, I think they're all pretty interchangeable.

I have a lot of red tools and I'm very happy with them. Depending on what you're cutting, Milwaukee has a 12v hackzall (one handed sawzall, basically), an 18v hackzall, and an 18v sawzall. Definitely prefer the 18v for these.

We need to just sticky that information, it comes up so often.

Also I just saw the mini M12 chainsaw that looks like the Hackzall and, I don't need it but I kinda need it. If they have an attachment to convert to a polesaw I'd have it for sure.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks for the advice, especially on hitting trade stores. I'll call up the tool suppliers I used when I worked in a shop as well and see if they have deals, mostly bought hand tools and cutting tools from them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

We need to just sticky that information, it comes up so often.

Also I just saw the mini M12 chainsaw that looks like the Hackzall and, I don't need it but I kinda need it. If they have an attachment to convert to a polesaw I'd have it for sure.
Bosch has one too :3:

There's also Hilti for the :homebrew: option

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Krakkles posted:

Always seemed like Milwaukee is the most expensive to me? Just looked up the high impact torque wrench at HD for example, and Makita's kit is $260 (on sale though) and Milawaukee is $350. Ryobi is only $209 for a kit but does have lower torque numbers.

I think it depends a lot on how price sensitive you are and how much you care about "this is the best consumer version" vs. this one does just fine. A buddy who is a much better mechanic than I am has all ryobi because they're cheap and good enough. I bought dewalt for 20v and milwaukee for 12v and sadly they didn't make me any better but they are really nice tools.

Anyway, my two cents are if you care about prosumer nonsense or really use your tools then I'd get either of dewalt (better for woodworking stuff, slightly cheaper and generally easier to find on sale) or milwaukee (better for auto). If you don't, then just get roybi because it's also good and a lot cheaper. $109 for two impact wrenches!

If you can wait and care a lot about price, there's always ridiculous sales around fathers day too.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Milwaukee isn't cheap, but it's probably on a level with Dewalt and cheaper than equivalent Bosch/Makita. You'll also note Ryobi didn't make my list :v:

I agree otherwise - a lot of it is down to price sensitivity, need for prosumer vs consumer level tools, etc.

It's worth saying, those prices are probably scaled about how I'd expect for power: $209 for the 450lb-ft Ryobi, $260 for the 740lb-ft Makita, and $350 for the ONE THOUSAND POUND FOOT Milwaukee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Krakkles posted:

Milwaukee isn't cheap, but it's probably on a level with Dewalt and cheaper than equivalent Bosch/Makita. You'll also note Ryobi didn't make my list :v:

I agree otherwise - a lot of it is down to price sensitivity, need for prosumer vs consumer level tools, etc.

It's worth saying, those prices are probably scaled about how I'd expect for power: $209 for the 450lb-ft Ryobi, $260 for the 740lb-ft Makita, and $350 for the ONE THOUSAND POUND FOOT Milwaukee.

If one thousand pound-feet isn't enough feet, or pounds, you can always double them.