Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Khablam posted:

To fully eliminate one having a different master/setup than the other, test it's properly passing through the right channels by downloading (some of) these files:
https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/

I have a handful and just leave them in their own personal media shows, then I can play them on any device I need to test.

Thanks for these. I've tried one of them and the problem seems to be that Plex is really quiet on the surrounds.

If I turn up the surrounds manually in the Sonos App then it sounds much better. Is there a setting in missing in Plex to turn up the surround audio? I've tried setting "Audio boost" to high but it doesn't seem to make any difference. It's not the end of the world if I need to manually turn them up when I'm using Plex but it would be nice to not have to mess around when I switch between Plex and other streaming services.

I also downloaded this: https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/ChID-BLITS-EBU.mp4 and I can hear every channel fine, but the 'surround' still come out partially from the Playbase. Is that to be expected or should they be completely isolated on the surround speakers?

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I don't know how enough about how sonos surround works but needing to fiddle seems a common problem.
Plex doesn't adjust the audio levels of the surround channels at all, I assume it's just a levelling issue between various sonos speaker types, which is something I have seen on my sonos (music) system.
I don't why the Amazon app sounds better, but since comparing an Amazon show in-app to something that you accidentally acquired when looking for a linux distro, it's not a fair comparison so could be anything.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Khablam posted:

I don't know how enough about how sonos surround works but needing to fiddle seems a common problem.
Plex doesn't adjust the audio levels of the surround channels at all, I assume it's just a levelling issue between various sonos speaker types, which is something I have seen on my sonos (music) system.
I don't why the Amazon app sounds better, but since comparing an Amazon show in-app to something that you accidentally acquired when looking for a linux distro, it's not a fair comparison so could be anything.

Finally got to the bottom of it. I had to select optical pass through in Plex, then only select AAC to pass through and now the test videos play correctly isolated through each speaker and Plex sounds like for like with Amazon/Netflix once the surrounds have been turned up.

Makes me wonder how many people have 5.1 but are just watching in stereo assuming that's how it's supposed to sound. It's only upgrading to the shield and noticing how much better Amazon/Netflix sounded that made me realise something was up with Plex.

Like I said before it would be nice if I could set and save the surround level in Plex but I can deal with it doing it manually.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 8, 2021

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Quote is not edit

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tea Bone posted:

Finally got to the bottom of it. I had to select optical pass through in Plex, then only select AAC to pass through and now the test videos play correctly isolated through each speaker and Plex sounds like for like with Amazon/Netflix once the surrounds have been turned up.

Makes me wonder how many people have 5.1 but are just watching in stereo assuming that's how it's supposed to sound. It's only upgrading to the shield and noticing how much better Amazon/Netflix sounded that made me realise something was up with Plex.

Like I said before it would be nice if I could set and save the surround level in Plex but I can deal with it doing it manually.

For as obnoxious as it is that my TV does it, when it receives an hdr or atmos stream it pops up a little thing saying you're using it. But I imagine plenty of people especially if they aren't 100% hdmi. Or are using plex.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

It's a lot of people. It's why I leave the test files on there at all times.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having a really weird issue. I ripped my Seven Worlds, One Planet 4k Blurays (no compression, I just left them as MKVs) and they play absolutely fine in my living room TV. I'm using the Nvidia Shield that came out before the latest Pro version. It works great with zero buffering.

However in the basement I have the same exact Nvidia Shield model on my movie projector and I can't even make it ten seconds into the show without it buffering like crazy. It's completely unwatchable.

The TV in the living room is 720p and the projector in the basement is 1080p but I'm not sure that would matter because both say it's playing it original quality. They are both hooked up over ethernet. I really want to watch this with my kids and a big bowl of popcorn but this is preventing it because it literally cannot go four seconds without buffering for a full minute.

Is there any reason it would have no issue playing it in the living room but it does in the basement? The only difference I noticed is that the one in the basement, when selecting the show, the screen blacks out for a second as if it's changing resolutions or something. The living room one doesn't do that. Is that some sort of indication as to what's wrong?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HDR is my best guess as to what’s going on.

Given your equipment is sub-4K I’m guessing it doesn’t natively handle HDR and that UHD MKV is going to be HDR. I forget if that set includes regular 1080p Blu-rays, if it does you’ll want to rip those instead.

Weird that it’s working on one and not the other, maybe your living room being 720p is easier for your computer to manage?

You should look at your server's dashboard to see what's happening too, it'll tell you if it's trying to transcode the video or direct play it.

univbee fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 10, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I would definitely prefer to leave them in 4k. Especially since my server and Plex devices should be able to handle it just fine. And clearly they do....in my living room.

I just checked on the basement projector again and it looks like the screen going black for a moment was because I had refresh rate switching set to on. I turned it off but unfortunately the show is still buffering like crazy.

This is what it's saying on the Plex server dashboard when I try to play it in the basement:

I take it my issue is somewhere in there? On the Shield device that I am trying to play it on I have it set to "Play Original Quality".

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I would definitely prefer to leave them in 4k. Especially since my server and Plex devices should be able to handle it just fine. And clearly they do....in my living room.

I just checked on the basement projector again and it looks like the screen going black for a moment was because I had refresh rate switching set to on. I turned it off but unfortunately the show is still buffering like crazy.

This is what it's saying on the Plex server dashboard when I try to play it in the basement:

I take it my issue is somewhere in there? On the Shield device that I am trying to play it on I have it set to "Play Original Quality".

It looks like it’s transcoding still, at 4k.

It could be a network strength issue.

If the projector is only 720p, why not set the quality to 720p on that player instead of original? Since it’s transcoding anyway, that should put less strain.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is PGS an image subtitle format? That will force a transcode much to my frequent chagrin, try turning off the subtitles and see if that helps?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, PGS is image based and can force transcodes on some devices.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It looks like it’s transcoding still, at 4k.

It could be a network strength issue.

If the projector is only 720p, why not set the quality to 720p on that player instead of original? Since it’s transcoding anyway, that should put less strain.

The projector is 1080p; the living room TV is 720p (a plasma from 2006 haha).

RichterIX posted:

Is PGS an image subtitle format? That will force a transcode much to my frequent chagrin, try turning off the subtitles and see if that helps?

I actually remembered people in this thread saying this, so that was one of the first things I tried. Thank you though!

Anyway these replies were still a huge help though because I figured it out. I changed the audio from 7.1 to 5.1 and now it works perfectly :toot:

Now Plex dashboard is saying direct play for both the movie and audio. I have no clue why 7.1 would mess things up so badly but everything is working great now. Maybe because my receiver is an old 5.1 model and it couldn't properly "talk" to the Shield or Plex or something? :iiam:

Edit: I suspect I might be right. The living room has 7.1 chosen for the audio in the same show and there is no buffering. The receiver is actually 7.1 though. So I guess if you have a 5.1 receiver and have 7.1 selected in Plex, it will transcode? I am surprised that could be it but it looks like it is; that's the only difference I can detect.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 10, 2021

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

The projector is 1080p; the living room TV is 720p (a plasma from 2006 haha).

I actually remembered people in this thread saying this, so that was one of the first things I tried. Thank you though!

Anyway these replies were still a huge help though because I figured it out. I changed the audio from 7.1 to 5.1 and now it works perfectly :toot:

Now Plex dashboard is saying direct play for both the movie and audio. I have no clue why 7.1 would mess things up so badly but everything is working great now. Maybe because my receiver is an old 5.1 model and it couldn't properly "talk" to the Shield or Plex or something? :iiam:

Edit: I suspect I might be right. The living room has 7.1 chosen for the audio in the same show and there is no buffering. The receiver is actually 7.1 though. So I guess if you have a 5.1 receiver and have 7.1 selected in Plex, it will transcode? I am surprised that could be it but it looks like it is; that's the only difference I can detect.

If the Shield doesn’t support 7.1 then that could be it. That would force audio transcode.

Like others said, PGS might force the transcode for the video.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I had a ton of episodes of a really obscure TV show from the 90s download from Usenet that were all "Obfuscated"; where the folder name was the proper name but the file itself was 21983j432mfdssklsadkj.mkv or whatever.

Figuring I would have to copy and paste the name of the folder into the filename 172 times, I found a way for BulkRename to do it all automatically for me. I am posting it here in case it's helpful to anyone else:

Dump all of the video files into a single directory and then do the following

quote:

1. Open Bulk Rename Utility. On the left pane (the folder tree) select "E:\Beakman's World".
2. In Selections (12) check only "Files" and "Subfolders".
3. Set Numbering (10) as "Mode = Suffix", "Pad = 3", "Sep. = ." and check the "Folder" option.
4. In File (2) select "Remove".
5. In Append Folder Name (9) select "Prefix".
6. Make sure you have your files selected (press CTRL+A or use the "Actions > Select All" menu.)
7. Now you can preview the results on the right pane, and, if everything's ok, just press "Rename".

That's it! All your jumbled video file names will now be named correctly.

rufius posted:

If the Shield doesn’t support 7.1 then that could be it. That would force audio transcode.

Like others said, PGS might force the transcode for the video.

It definitely wasn't PGS because I had subtitles on in the living room and had no issues with the show.

They are both the same exact make and model Shields, so it's weird that it worked fine in the living room but not the basement. The only difference was the basement is a 5.1 receiver and the living room is 7.1. Weird!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there some way to get Plex to tag shows correctly as they come into the library?

Two examples.... I have the Goldbergs (2013) in my library, but any new episode automatically gets added as The Goldbergs (1949). I also have Your Honor in my library, but it always tags it as the India version instead of the US version on ShowTime.

Driving me a bit nutty.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How are they getting there? I have both shows without issue, using Sonarr to process everything.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I believe you can put the start year on each file name, and that should match properly?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Is there some way to get Plex to tag shows correctly as they come into the library?

Two examples.... I have the Goldbergs (2013) in my library, but any new episode automatically gets added as The Goldbergs (1949). I also have Your Honor in my library, but it always tags it as the India version instead of the US version on ShowTime.

Driving me a bit nutty.

For shows, plex generally tags via the folder. So if the folder is correct and you have older episodes that are correctly matched it should work.

What is your folder structure like for those shows?

It should be

ALL TV SHOWS > SHOW NAME > SEASON XX > episodes go here.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Driving me a bit nutty.

The best way I've found is that Plex actually recognises IMDb tags in titles, so as something downloads from radarr I have it set to rename it with the IMDb tag in the name somewhere, eg "Total Recall (tt038375) 1080p.mkv", this pretty much guarantees that Plex matches it correctly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My folders are generally TV Show (Year) -> Season and I haven't had any issues for the most part. Your Honor and Goldbergs are two I watch as well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Astro7x posted:

Driving me a bit nutty.

I had this exact problem with the three(!!) different versions of The Twilight Zone; drove me insane until I simply put the year in parenthesis after each one (the year of the first episode airing, not the last).

So all I did was rename the folders to:

and just doing that alone fixed it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m probably late to the game here but the addition of the option to have a “skip commercials” option for recorded tv/movies is the tightest poo poo. The delete option is “better” but now I don’t have to worry about the algorithm screwing up and deleting the wrong part.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

For shows, plex generally tags via the folder. So if the folder is correct and you have older episodes that are correctly matched it should work.

What is your folder structure like for those shows?

It should be

ALL TV SHOWS > SHOW NAME > SEASON XX > episodes go here.

uTorrent just dumps them all in a TV folder based on the huge RSS feed I subscribe to. No shows or season folders, just individual files. Fixing it in uTorrent seems like more work than fixing it in Plex though. I could set up a feed for each troublesome show and then dump those in a properly named folder, or just fix the show when it comes in. I thought it would be a bit easier than that, but I don't want to gently caress around with my RSS feed since I struggled to get it to work in the first place

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ah, a user who is about to google Sonarr and have their life improved.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Astro7x posted:

uTorrent just dumps them all in a TV folder based on the huge RSS feed I subscribe to. No shows or season folders, just individual files. Fixing it in uTorrent seems like more work than fixing it in Plex though. I could set up a feed for each troublesome show and then dump those in a properly named folder, or just fix the show when it comes in. I thought it would be a bit easier than that, but I don't want to gently caress around with my RSS feed since I struggled to get it to work in the first place

This is painful. Please don’t do this. Plex sucks rear end when you don’t folder correctly. This is not even how utorrent RSS is supposed to work.

My mental image of your setup is a rural gas station with a 5 gallon bucket of loose $1 communal beef jerky.

You don’t set up entire new feeds for each show. In the RSS downloader area you set what shows to grab from the feed you already set up, and you tell it which folder to go to based on downloader entry.

No offense, but if setting up a RSS feed was super difficult, I don’t expect they’ll be able to set up sonarr or an equivalent.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Khablam posted:

Ah, a user who is about to google Sonarr and have their life improved.

indeed. i used to download evey show manually with torrents. then usenet and sonarr changed my quality of life forever. so beautiful.

Violator
May 15, 2003

My mental image of your setup is a rural gas station with a 5 gallon bucket of loose $1 communal beef jerky.

:hmmyes:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

derk posted:

indeed. i used to download evey show manually with torrents. then usenet and sonarr changed my quality of life forever. so beautiful.

Sonarr and Radars work pretty well with torrents too!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Meanwhile I’m over here mildly amazed that torrent clients can use RSS.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Warbird posted:

Meanwhile I’m over here mildly amazed that torrent clients can use RSS.

I had the raddest RSS torrent setup back in the 2000s.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

This is true! It kicks rear end. Me personally don't like torrents and I find paying for usenet (plus a few lifetime subscriptions to indexers) to be way worth it because I mean what are the odds someone is going to be seeding all 4 seasons of "Early Edition (1996)". Meanwhile it downloads in 7 minutes on Usenet. Also I don't need to pay monthly for a VPN.

I find DrunkenSlug to easily be the best indexer but they don't offer lifetime subscriptions so I only use them rarely for a manual search. They tend to have full BD50 rips when no other indexer does. Which got me wondering, why would one indexer show certain results that others don't?

I really wish they had a lifetime subscription. I'd easily pay $100 for it; I just hate monthly bills with a passion because they then fall into "monthly subscription that I don't really need" as opposed to a one-time payment.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 18, 2021

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

haven't touched a torrent in 2 years.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I still use torrents for certain well maintained categories where I know there's a serious dedication to quality.

But yes for TV, you really cant beat usenet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One danger with Radarr is sometimes a movie gets a reup on a torrent site in some massive 4K and it just grabs it anyway like a 40GB version of Aliens it decided to snap up.

I turned off the auto-grabbing but now of I download I tag it in the torrent client then it organizes it for me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

One danger with Radarr is sometimes a movie gets a reup on a torrent site in some massive 4K and it just grabs it anyway like a 40GB version of Aliens it decided to snap up.

I turned off the auto-grabbing but now of I download I tag it in the torrent client then it organizes it for me.

How do you turn off auto grabbing?

I had a perfect 30gb Blu-ray rip of Ice Cream Man (1995) (yes I love bad movies) and Radarr keeps deleting it and downloading some lovely 720p version.

Is there a way to turn of auto grabbing automatically unless it's an unreleased movie? I just like using it to download movies without having to log into my server.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

priznat posted:

You can adjust the quality/size profiles to exclude this. I don't want anything in 4K or any uncompressed BR rips because, yeah, they're loving useless when you're going to just stream over the internet anyway.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can adjust the quality/size profiles to exclude this. I don't want anything in 4K or any uncompressed BR rips because, yeah, they're loving useless when you're going to just stream over the internet anyway.

Yeah I can definitely fiddle with that but for me I still check manually for new movies and what I download depends more on a whim than keeping up with a series (Sonarr is set to auto grab)

I had a perfect 30gb Blu-ray rip of Ice Cream Man (1995) (yes I love bad movies) and Radarr keeps deleting it and downloading some lovely 720p version.

Is there a way to turn of auto grabbing automatically unless it's an unreleased movie? I just like using it to download movies without having to log into my server.

I just disabled the indexer I believe. I do have it set up so if I download a .torrent file it gets auto added to my deluge client running in an unraid docker, and then I can go in and add the “radarr” tag. Radarr then sees that and organizes it in the movies folder and then plex picks it up, so it’s slightly manual but pretty easy.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

You can stop auto grabbing by turning off monitoring for a movie. I keep all mine unmonitored for that reason.

On Sonarr chat, is anybody else still on v2? I haven't updated to v3 and just noticed that there's been no updates for a year now. I guess nothing is wrong but is development dead on v2 now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sonarr and Radarr work with a few different settings to determine whether or not to download something based on what you already have.

There are quality profiles which do two things:

First, it says what qualities you're interested in. So you can tell it you don't care about screening or similar pre-release copies, or say that you don't care about 4K or even 1080p or whatever.

The other setting is that one of these quality profiles is flagged as a "cutoff".

So here's how it works:

Let's say you have an exhaustive set of profiles selected, so it'll attempt to download standard definition, 720p TV broadcast, 720p webrip, 720p Blu-ray, the same in 1080p etc.

What will happen is that the searcher will grab whatever the highest quality you selected is, and attempt to download it. If that download fails or no file exists at that quality, it moves on to lower quality releases until it finds a download that works. Similarly, the standard definition or 720p TV rips are usually fast to post, and will download first, but when a higher quality version shows up a few hours later, say a 1080p webrip, it'll replace your lower quality download with that. That said, it won't do this if your threshold is set to 720p HDTV. Because the file you have is already that quality, sonar/radarr consider that to be good enough and won't attempt to upgrade its quality, even once the Blu-ray is formally out and clean rips of it start appearing online.

Now you can tweak the profile settings based on expected filesize, so you can train it to know that you don't care for a 720p quality file that's over 5 gigs per hour, for example.

And lastly, you can tell them to stop monitoring anything you know to be "good enough" quality. This is particularly useful for TV Series since you can also tell it to not monitor older seasons (which is useful because some shows get reuploaded fairly regularly and that can retrigger downloads you might not care about).

I've only started using Radarr recently so I don't know if this works for everyone's workflow or is even a "best practice", but the only movies I have listed in Radarr are ones I'm explicitly looking to download or upgrade, and as soon as I know that I have a file at the quality I want I outright delete it from Radarr entirely (obviously not deleting the downloaded file with it). I think you have movies that are still listed but flagged as "don't bother looking for downloads of this, I don't care."