Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

MassRafTer posted:

They were all jazzed up for this New Japan partnership. They brought in Liger in late 2004 and then hosted The Best of the American Super Juniors in spring of 2005. The fans were excited since the winner would go into the BOSJ! Except the tournament was won by Dragon Soldier B, who was Kendo Kashin who stinks and the tournament stunk so the fans got pissed.

Dragon Gate and NOAH partnerships started in the fall, but the first show with DG talent was only OK, it didn't really kick off until they brought in all of the guys for the 2006 Mania Tripleshot and they could do wild multi mans.

Hahaha I remember that tournament, it was super weird for NJPW to pull off this trick. I wonder why they did that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean if that was still when Inoki was in charge I can see him being like "well our poo poo guy go over to prove we're stronger" cause I don't think New Japan had an extensive american fan base at that point

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
What's the most inexplicably over catchphrase/call and response crowd chant? For me it's that time when DX came back and they would do a variant of the original "suck it" chant, where they would tell the entire crowd to Suck It, to which everyone would gleefully applause, then they would say "if you're not down with that, we've got two words for you" which would of course be responded to with another Suck It. Really creates a damned if you do damned if you don't time loop.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lazy like a Fox posted:

What's the most inexplicably over catchphrase/call and response crowd chant? For me it's that time when DX came back and they would do a variant of the original "suck it" chant, where they would tell the entire crowd to Suck It, to which everyone would gleefully applause, then they would say "if you're not down with that, we've got two words for you" which would of course be responded to with another Suck It. Really creates a damned if you do damned if you don't time loop.

What?

Actually, honestly probably that one that just sandbagged WWE for ages after. Props to the guys who figured out how to pattern their talking so it didn't invite the opening.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
YOU SUCK has to be up there surely. Not that I wouldn't join in.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Al Snow and Steve Blackman getting crowds to chant “HEAD CHEESE” is up there.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah the What chat was tired after about 3 weeks and it's still going strong almost 29 years later.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He also doesn't seem to understand or have an ability to admit how damaging it was since he keeps saying "well the wrestlers have to find out how to work around it" like Vince and his idiot writers don't script every promo down to the second now

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Crowd: What?!

Undertaker: Say what if you like sleeping with your sister.

Crowd: Wha-ohhhhh BOOOOOO

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
There was also

Vince: Idiotssaywhat.
Crowd: WHAT
Vince: My point exactly.

So he kept writing promos with WHAT pauses.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The Stan Lane cousinfucking thing appears to be the byproduct of that one Facebook post being terribly written. One of the other posts is much more clear about what she was trying to say, which was that Boebert had a kinship analysis done with Stan's first cousin which showed they were related.

And as for the larger story, I'm efforting to find the right outlet if possible.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I reiterate the hope that you find someone who will pay you for this story.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

karmicknight posted:

I reiterate the hope that you find someone who will pay you for this story.
I'm *guessing* that it's a matter of it becoming more of A Thing outside of the wrestling and dirtbag left bubbles first, which it may not with the impeachment going on. (Or finding further details that help it cross some vague threshold.) I'm definitely getting closer, but I'm not sure HOW close.

Worst case I'll do it on my blog and/or use it as the first episode of a new podcast.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Okay, now I'm confused. The midnight express baby is some incestuous gun nut?

What an American question to ask.

Manos99
Mar 17, 2009
A couple of rando questions I've always been curious about:

1) Why did Gedo get the mega-push during the 1995 Super J-Cup? I get that WAR would have wanted someone from their roster to make it to the final, but was Gedo considered an up-and-coming superworker at the time? Seems like Ultimo Dragon, or ever Jericho, would have been a more obvious choice.

2) This one may sound a bit silly, but it's always seemed pretty obvious that a vertical suplex is meant to attack your opponents back. But since a vertical suplex is called a brainbuster in Japan, is it meant to be attacking the opponents head *and* back? Or is the use of the term brainbuster kind of disconnected from what the move is meant to be injuring?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lamuella posted:

Funnily enough, the Summer of Punk happened AFTER he was offered a WWE contract.

it seems like he did a tryout match against Val Venis of all people in May 2005 and was offered a developmental contract off the back of that. The match is on Youtube and it's actually not bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHiajPlPXNg. He then used the contract with WWE as part of the heel turn in his ROH title run that became the "summer of Punk" with the threat being that he was going to take the ROH title to WWE with him without defending it on the way out.

Back in the day I remember hearing that if the WWE were interested in you, they'd put you in a dark match with Val Venis or another Journeyman wrestler. He's a steady hand that they know works a fine enough WWE style match, so if the match sucks out loud its probably not going to be his fault, but hes no shining star either so if the match is amazing its not because Venis is doing the worlds greatest carry job.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, before that the guy with that role was X-Pac. The logic being if you couldn't have a good match with X-Pac, you are terrible

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SiKboy posted:

Back in the day I remember hearing that if the WWE were interested in you, they'd put you in a dark match with Val Venis or another Journeyman wrestler. He's a steady hand that they know works a fine enough WWE style match, so if the match sucks out loud its probably not going to be his fault, but hes no shining star either so if the match is amazing its not because Venis is doing the worlds greatest carry job.

Val Venis, the "room temperature" of early 2000s WWE

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What is routinely the worst looking spot that you see consistently? For me, it's probably the "low bridge" spot where someone pulls down the top rope so the guy barreling toward him flies to the outside. 99% of the time it just looks like the oncoming dude's entire purpose was to throw himself over the top. I can see it working for really big guys who get a huge head of steam first, but it happens all the time with people who are more than agile enough to stop.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

What is routinely the worst looking spot that you see consistently? For me, it's probably the "low bridge" spot where someone pulls down the top rope so the guy barreling toward him flies to the outside. 99% of the time it just looks like the oncoming dude's entire purpose was to throw himself over the top. I can see it working for really big guys who get a huge head of steam first, but it happens all the time with people who are more than agile enough to stop.

the russian leg sweep

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sticklefifer posted:

Most piledrivers, because you can see the guy taking it either pushing on the other guy's legs to avoid the head-bump, or in the case of the Tombstone, their head is a foot away from the mat.

The Garvin/Orton stomp is just lame as hell.

And people conveniently landing on the ropes to get a 619; even worse when they look back to make sure Rey is coming so they can get their hands up for it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Everyone patiently waiting in a big pile to catch the guy who dives on them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Brock's repeating powerbomb.

There's no way to hide the fact the recipient is helping Brock.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Brock's repeating powerbomb.

There's no way to hide the fact the recipient is helping Brock.

What's sick is Brian Cage can do these without needing the other wrestler to grab on.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

What's sick is Brian Cage can do these without needing the other wrestler to grab on.

Cage is a special talent. If they get to a point where they need to put the world title on him because of injuries, they could do a lot worse.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Brock 1000% doesn't need Spike's help there since he weighs about as much as Brock's leg, I just think Spike is being good at his job and helping when he doesn't need to.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And, y'know, you don't have to shoot it from the one angle that blows the spot.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kennel posted:

Everyone patiently waiting in a big pile to catch the guy who dives on them.

You mean you don't lazily drape an arm over your buddies' shoulders and all face the same way when you help them up?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sticklefifer posted:

What is routinely the worst looking spot that you see consistently? For me, it's probably the "low bridge" spot where someone pulls down the top rope so the guy barreling toward him flies to the outside. 99% of the time it just looks like the oncoming dude's entire purpose was to throw himself over the top.
It's the same problem with flying nothings and flying axehandles. You have to at least occasionally show somebody hitting an axehandle or plancha for anyone to believe it. Also spots that are rarely or never done for safety reasons, like a guy on the apron going for a vertical suplex.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

Brock 1000% doesn't need Spike's help there since he weighs about as much as Brock's leg, I just think Spike is being good at his job and helping when he doesn't need to.

Yeah. It's not just about getting him up, but also getting him to a seated position. Sure, Brock can get back up to a standing position by himself, but if the other guy doesn't get himself in the right position (which requires good core strength and/or just holding onto Brock's arms), you just end up with the Ganso Bomb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iINi9CXmRc

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Halloween Jack posted:

It's the same problem with flying nothings and flying axehandles. You have to at least occasionally show somebody hitting an axehandle or plancha for anyone to believe it.

Ditto counters to the (big) back body drop. I haven't watched WWE in a long time and maybe they are better about this now, but I feel like I went years without seeing somebody actually land the Irish whip into back body drop combo. Instead, it just became a recurring bit in wrestling matches that someone will Irish whip their opponent, and then bend over for no reason other than to be kicked in the face or sunset flipped.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

At the very least MJF tends to take a backdrop per match (he's fond of yelling "Oh poo poo" as he flies up, it's pretty funny)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shine posted:

Ditto counters to the (big) back body drop. I haven't watched WWE in a long time and maybe they are better about this now, but I feel like I went years without seeing somebody actually land the Irish whip into back body drop combo. Instead, it just became a recurring bit in wrestling matches that someone will Irish whip their opponent, and then bend over for no reason other than to be kicked in the face or sunset flipped.
Yeah, the BBD is one of those cases where it depends on the house style of the company.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Shine posted:

I could hear Vince's voice saying it

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
^^^Un! Be! Lievable!

Shine posted:

It's also that you can tell the difference right away: If the move is going to succeed, the guy lowering down doesn't go down until his opponent is actually coming at him so it looks spur of the moment. If it's going to fail, the guy goes down right away and just waits there.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

sticklefifer posted:

Cazadoras

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Anything with a Gory Special setup that isn't The Fatality.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

gently caress that. The sitout neckbreaker version rules.

Manos99
Mar 17, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Maybe it's because I watched too many Black Warrior matches back in the day, but at least 95% of topés in the states are total trash.

But in terms of moves that irritate me the most, it's any one that requires a wrestler having to balance themselves precariously on the ropes, like Rey Jr.'s springboard guillotine legdrop (even if the result looked good) or Alberto's corner stomp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

ChrisBTY posted:

Boo this man

https://twitter.com/njpwworld/status/1275751112092512256