Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rather, is Rei planning to lead a public confession regarding the true nature behind Touya's actions in an effort to offset Dabi's accusations?

My Hero Academia Manga Thread: Endeavor Did Nothing Wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Horikoshi getting cancelled on Twitter and Tumblr for 'abuse apologia' in t-minus...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

That is the most Dabi thing Touya could've possibly done.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I liked it.

It's definitely a different tack than I expected, but I supposed Endeavor's not such a piece of poo poo that he'd be the way he was at the start if he'd directly caused Touya's injuries by egging him on. Not that this clears everything he's done but it does recontextualize a lot and I do appreciate that Dabi's not getting an "out" by the narrative so to speak, whatever Endeavor's failings are he made certain decisions of his own will and those are his to own.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PMush Perfect posted:

Horikoshi getting cancelled on Twitter and Tumblr for 'abuse apologia' in t-minus...

Can we not?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES!

Oh no, the cops are after Koichi! :ohdear:

This really does feel like we're in the end game for Vigilantes now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rhonne posted:

NEW VIGILANTES!

Oh no, the cops are after Koichi! :ohdear:

It's been a while what was in the bag that got taken?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's been a while what was in the bag that got taken?

Knucleduster's punching accessories.

Also breaking that window there is how Knucleduster would get into the apartment.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mystic Mongol posted:

Also breaking that window there is how Knucleduster would get into the apartment.

:sickos:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fabricated posted:

It's not a "this isn't Endeavor's fault" thing, it's just that Endeavor didn't FORCE Touya to burn himself to death.

Oh, I'm aware. But people will undoubtedly assume it's the former.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Can we not?
I'm not saying I agree, just grimly predicting what my social media feed is going to look like.

Mystic Mongol posted:

YESSSSS!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 12, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God just give Vigilantes a series already, it can air during the main series off-season.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rhonne posted:

Especially after the Cruller gave Pop the appropriate Japanese confession.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It'd be really cool if they made Vigilantes an anime and used it to give MHA some time to get even more breathing room chapter wise.

The first 3 seasons/63 episodes of MHA covered up to around chapter 120. I can see Vigilantes wrapping up around there, so about 5 cours worth of anime already written out.

I'm bored so I did some math about the future pacing of the show. Yknow, for funsies.

The MHA anime covers about 2.3 chapters per episode, and currently 108 chapters haven't been adapted yet, so they're about 3.5 cours behind. I didn't include Season 1 in this calculation because it's a slight outlier in how many chapters an episode covers.

That pace means if Season 5 is a normal 25 (non-recap) episode season, it'll end about 58 chapters from where Season 4 left off, putting us at Chapter 250, just a couple chapters off of the end of the Endeavor Agency Arc (Chapter 252), the last arc to end before the current arc. That's probably the stopping point for this upcoming season.

Meaning this season is the Joint Training Arc, Meta Liberation Army (My Villian Academy) Arc, and the Endeavor Agency Arc. Something else that's exciting is the Joint Training Arc (along with what wasn't covered of chapters 192 and 193) means that the 25 chapters that compose that span are almost a full cour's worth of episodes. So, probably gets padded out to 12 episodes (from ~10.7), we get the first episode of the MVA Arc, and then the next episode gives us what's sure to be a kickin' rad villainous OP.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lovely Speed Scans ahoy:
https://w21.readheroacademia.com/manga/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-301/

lol @ people looking at leaks who thought this chapter sort of exonerates Endeavor. It kinda makes Endeavor's eugenics project look even loving weirder/grosser.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Scholtz posted:

It'd be really cool if they made Vigilantes an anime and used it to give MHA some time to get even more breathing room chapter wise.

The first 3 seasons/63 episodes of MHA covered up to around chapter 120. I can see Vigilantes wrapping up around there, so about 5 cours worth of anime already written out.

I'm bored so I did some math about the future pacing of the show. Yknow, for funsies.

The MHA anime covers about 2.3 chapters per episode, and currently 108 chapters haven't been adapted yet, so they're about 3.5 cours behind. I didn't include Season 1 in this calculation because it's a slight outlier in how many chapters an episode covers.

That pace means if Season 5 is a normal 25 (non-recap) episode season, it'll end about 58 chapters from where Season 4 left off, putting us at Chapter 250, just a couple chapters off of the end of the Endeavor Agency Arc (Chapter 252), the last arc to end before the current arc. That's probably the stopping point for this upcoming season.

Meaning this season is the Joint Training Arc, Meta Liberation Army (My Villian Academy) Arc, and the Endeavor Agency Arc. Something else that's exciting is the Joint Training Arc (along with what wasn't covered of chapters 192 and 193) means that the 25 chapters that compose that span are almost a full cour's worth of episodes. So, probably gets padded out to 12 episodes (from ~10.7), we get the first episode of the MVA Arc, and then the next episode gives us what's sure to be a kickin' rad villainous OP.

I like all of this except they have been doing a recap episode to kick off the season. My guess would be the next season ends with the chapter where they start their stint with endeavor. But I also didn't expect overhaul to go by so quickly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I could see them ending on a lead-in to the Endeavor Agency arc, because that gives you an opportunity to do a recap and a real short arc before you spool up the War Arc instead of just slamming straight into the big Act 3 opener.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kingtheninja posted:

I like all of this except they have been doing a recap episode to kick off the season. My guess would be the next season ends with the chapter where they start their stint with endeavor. But I also didn't expect overhaul to go by so quickly.

Oh, yeah my calculation accounted for the recap. The seasons have been 25 regular episodes and 1 recap episode.

I could totally see them doing the beginning of the Endeavor Training arc at the end of the season, and the beginning of season 6 starting with parts of chapter 250, to make Deku/Bakugo/Todoroki's growth feel a little more earned.

Another nice thing about that being a season break point is, as Fabricated pointed out, avoiding that pretty sudden jump from the MVA arc to the current arc. While the manga is generally a bit more spaced out, the Endeavor Agency arc will only be like, 5 episodes long. Not much real world time between the two Villain arcs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fabricated posted:

lovely Speed Scans ahoy:

lol @ people looking at leaks who thought this chapter sort of exonerates Endeavor. It kinda makes Endeavor's eugenics project look even loving weirder/grosser.
Godamn today's character writing was good. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
How long until we get an MHA version of this?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

How long until we get an MHA version of this?

Dunno, but it would be Fuyumi surrounded by crazy, vengeful faces of her siblings and dad.

Edit: I want that image of bawling baby Shoto appear as a hoodie Deku's wearing. :allears:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 13, 2021

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fabricated posted:

lovely Speed Scans ahoy:

Feel like this is the chapter that should have been called Todoroki Family Hell Part 2 god dang this is bleak

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

rannum posted:

Feel like this is the chapter that should have been called Todoroki Family Hell Part 2 god dang this is bleak

Fits well with what we had already, but it also recontextualizes it. Neat.

Also, man. That's a lot of silent panels. Feels like Horikoshi didn't used to use them quite so much in the past, but they really add to the impact.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

drat that's a solid backstory.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Was that a glimpse of Dr. Garaki in the consultation scene?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Something really neat: dabi's blood tear drips down into the first panel of the flashback. I really love it when horikoshi does stuff like that.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Lemme see if I got this right from the lovely scans...

Endeavour convinced Rei to try for more kids to get one with a combination of their Quirk so that they could point at that kid and get Toya to give up his attempts to become a pro-hero and surpass All-Might? And against her better judgement and initial protests she ultimately agreed? And instead of going "huh, guess I can give it up now that there's a baby with the perfect Quirk", Toya loving snaps and tries to immolate his baby brother.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Warden posted:

Endeavour convinced Rei to try for more kids to get one with a combination of their Quirk so that they could point at that kid and get Toya to give up his attempts to become a pro-hero and surpass All-Might? And against her better judgement and initial protests she ultimately agreed? And instead of going "huh, guess I can give it up now that there's a baby with the perfect Quirk", Toya loving snaps and tries to immolate his baby brother.
To be fair: baby Shoto looks like Stewie

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Warden posted:

Yes, because he inherited Endeavour's drive. The chapter showcases that All Might's success drove them both down darker paths. Endeavour because not only did he want to surpass All Might, but doing so, in his mind, would mean Touya would stop. He couldn't understand, even though he should have because as Touya says, he's his son, that Touya would never be satisfied being told he can't do something.

The Manga has done a lot to both establish Endeavour's will and drive as negative and positive. He solves more cases than anyone, but he doesn't care what he has to do to reach the top. That drive bred hatred as he simply wasn't able to be what he could be. Take note of the start of the chapter, Endeavour was considered a prospect for Number 1. Then, on top of that, he came from UA, with the slogan "Plus Ultra". He even says he hated the slogan when fighting the High End. And when you look at him, you can actually see why. It's not just "Bad dad hates cool school" because the Plus Ultra Mindset is what drove him to where he is. He was instilled with a belief to go beyond and to strive to the peak, whereupon his hopes of ever being no.1 died when All Might showed up.

It's actually fairly interesting how they've built the character.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

rannum posted:

Like if Horikoshi was trying to soften parts of Endeavor's character it looks even more hosed up here. Like, he basically is like "okay, start popping them out" to Rei apparently as a response to Touya being unsuitable and being unable to be convinced he is- and you get multiple panels of Rei looking more and more run down as she has Natsu and Shoto. Thats...pretty hosed up!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Like if Horikoshi was trying to soften parts of Endeavor's character it looks even more hosed up here. Like, he basically is like "okay, start popping them out" to Rei apparently as a response to Touya being unsuitable and being unable to be convinced he is- and you get multiple panels of Rei looking more and more run down as she has Natsu and Shoto. Thats...pretty hosed up!

Also even the Doctor in this chapter says his eugenics plan is stupid quasi-legal bullshit that has consequences and he should knock it off.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We're still a few years away from Touya's "accident" so I'll be interested in seeing how much the family dynamic changed after he, you know, tried to murder his baby brother. I imagine this is the point where Endeavor we full rear end in a top hat to everyone.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/gettinganimated/status/1360243294274527241?s=20

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The VIZ website is currently down. I can only assume it's because of All Might attempting to stop us from seeing how innocent Endeavour is.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

#301: The Hellish Todoroki Family, Pt. 3 The Wrong Way to Put Out a Fire, Pt. 1
Viz: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-301/chapter/21981?action=read
Mangaplus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008524

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Baby Shoto just looks like Stewie Griffin.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
This chapter reminds me of this tweet for some reason https://twitter.com/SadiqoJN/status/1070995854272675840?s=20

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"The Wrong Way to Put Out A Fire". :allears:

Horikoshi, you cheeky fucker.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A couple interesting tidbits in this chapter:

• Baby Natsuo has red streaks in his hair. Looks like he's been dyeing his hair white, like Touya has been dyeing his hair black.
  • Natsuo is 3 years older than Shoto (and Fuyumi 3 years older than Natsuo), so that page with Enji driven more and more insane by All Might's success is meant to represent the passing of years before he decides to try again, which produces Shoto. Presumably Touya has been training on his own throughout this time period, and would be between 8 to 10 years old on the final scene of the flashback?
  • Shoto is still a baby there when he's attacked, so there's at least 3-4 more years (reference the window scene where he's watching his siblings play) before Touya apparently immolates himself. He doesn't seem to fear Touya, so I'm assuming the outcome of this attack involves Touya chilling out for a couple years.

Speculating... Enji has a history of freezing up when his kids are in danger (Natsuo with Ending, Dabi's reveal) and if I had to guess he's probably gonna freeze up here again in the flashback. I'm thinking Wrong Way to Put Out a Fire, Part 2 is going to have either Rei smack down Touya (and also establishing a pattern of reflexive violence towards her children...) or Baby Shoto reflexively defends himself with ice and that being the final straw for Touya to realize he's been outdone and chilling out for a few years before The Incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man, this family keeps getting more messed up

also baby Todoroki is hilarious looking