Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like how his mouth is just V O I D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, the art just keeps getting better

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vinylshadow posted:

I like how his mouth is just V O I D

It represents him devouring Touya's hopes and dreams.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Rei's a strong woman.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Love Dabi that lil fuckup, Endeavor could never make a hero but he sure makes a hell of a villain.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That detail on Dabi's stiches and staples though

:stare:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
"I know, let's demoralize him by producing a successful heir!" :lol: what a bad idea.

I am totally on board with Rei having a bigger presence in the story. I'm glad she has some agency now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

"I know, let's demoralize him by producing a successful heir!" :lol: what a bad idea.

Yeah, that's pretty :yikes:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I wonder what Hori’s relationship with his father is like?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Little Fuyumi is cute

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My favorite detail is Dabi wearing an Endeavor shirt in the panel where he sees his mom come home with baby Natsu.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I am totally on board with Rei having a bigger presence in the story. I'm glad she has some agency now.

It's such an interesting thing. He wasn't ready in any capacity to be a father, he was kinda lucky Rei's lineage probably meant she was raised to be a housewife for the moment someone wanted to hitch in with her family. That means he handled dabi kinda like a peer "well, this is the situation, now that i explained you should understand. WTF why isn't that working??" and eventually leading to the "I guess I should make the thing i wanted happen, that'll solve it" in such cold, awful justifications. Terrible, yet not malicious. What an interestingly awful family. But also:

Didn't know Endeavour was Catholic.

Me when I try to hatch a shiny.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can kind of get where he's coming from. In his mind, Dabi's doing this because he feels like he Has To, so Endeavor is trying to make it feel like he doesn't Have To anymore. What he doesn't realize is that Dabi isn't doing this just to sate Endeavor's ego but also because now its his goal, too. So instead of "you don't need to feel this responsibility anymore," it warps into "you can't make this goal happen so I'm making someone who can."

It doesn't help that Endeavor also still really wants his family to be #1, so making someone who could make that goal happen is a really, really nice bonus.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

There's huge gaps of what i've seen/read of MHA, but is there other examples like Deku and Dabi of parent saying "no, you can't achieve your dreams" and the child still trying anyway?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Interesting that part of Dabi's quirk is that he can withstand freezing temperatures. Another point in favour of a Dabi+Geten tag team battle at some point. (Assuming Dabi's actually willing to double team.)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

JackDarko posted:

I imagine he probably wasn't there much.

Horikoshi has talked about his mom a fair amount (the scene where Deku is playing hero with his mom is taken from Horikoshi's own childhood experiences, to the point he said he teared up writing it), and hasn't ever once talked about his father. He has siblings because he congratulated one on having a kid.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Bee posted:

I can kind of get where he's coming from. In his mind, Dabi's doing this because he feels like he Has To, so Endeavor is trying to make it feel like he doesn't Have To anymore. What he doesn't realize is that Dabi isn't doing this just to sate Endeavor's ego but also because now its his goal, too. So instead of "you don't need to feel this responsibility anymore," it warps into "you can't make this goal happen so I'm making someone who can."

It doesn't help that Endeavor also still really wants his family to be #1, so making someone who could make that goal happen is a really, really nice bonus.

This was my read on it too. Endeavor thinks he's helping but he's seriously misunderstood what's actually going on.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Interesting that part of Dabi's quirk is that he can withstand freezing temperatures. Another point in favour of a Dabi+Geten tag team battle at some point. (Assuming Dabi's actually willing to double team.)

I like that the only real counter to Dabi is Dabi. He’s like the shadow cast by Shoto’s perfect quirk.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

JackDarko posted:

can it be worse than the beastars creator and her baki dad

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Are we really gonna psychoanalyze hori because of what his characters are like?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MorningMoon posted:

There's huge gaps of what i've seen/read of MHA, but is there other examples like Deku and Dabi of parent saying "no, you can't achieve your dreams" and the child still trying anyway?
It's definitely rhyming with Deku's Origin Story, that's for sure

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nessus posted:

It's definitely rhyming with Deku's Origin Story, that's for sure

I was thinking that it's a pretty clean mirror of Hawks, especially given we got Hawks's backstory immediately prior to the last couple chapters. Hawks's parents came together by circumstances, the father is a poor criminal, the mother is indifferent, etc, but Hawks still had that instinctive drive to save people when he saw they were in trouble. Touya was the product of an arranged marriage, his father is Literally Endeavor, and all that, but Touya has no interest in actually being a hero, only (continuing his father's desire to surpass All Might)/(get his father's approval).

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, he's incidentally the perfect Shoto counter since he's got more powerful flames and all Shoto's ice does is enable his flames more.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah, he's incidentally the perfect Shoto counter since he's got more powerful flames and all Shoto's ice does is enable his flames more.

I mean, aside from his ability to spontaneously generate gigantic glaciers, or to supercool air and then superheat it to cause gigantic explosions.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Kanos posted:

I mean, aside from his ability to spontaneously generate gigantic glaciers, or to supercool air and then superheat it to cause gigantic explosions.

Dabi's stronger though because he has the blue flames (very cool)

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Given that Endeavor can barely even talk to adults in a reasonable fashion as a 40+ year old man, I'm not at all surprised to learn that he couldn't talk to a child in the right way 20 years ago. As always, Endeavor's personality is his ruin.

Also I don't think it's a coincidence that we're getting Hawks' and Dabi's backstories back to back. They both grew up with some pretty lovely parents (including their mothers since Rei seems to be saying that she didn't know how to deal with Touya either so she just ignored him) and had every reason to turn out to be lovely people themselves. But in a sort of callback to what All Might said to Deku - about your body moving on your own towards danger in order to try and help being something that many heroes experienced - Hawks' instinct is always to save people, even when it puts him in danger. Dabi has no such instinct. His father taught him that the only goal was to reach the top and the idea of helping people never crosses his mind at all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Siegkrow posted:

Are we really gonna psychoanalyze hori because of what his characters are like?

Lol the beastars mangaka is the daughter of the bakki mangaka and had made him sound like a psycho

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jose posted:

Lol the beastars mangaka is the daughter of the bakki mangaka and had made him sound like a psycho

judging by what much of what happens in Baki this sounds very true

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's pretty bad to call either mom a lovely parent considering they were in abusive relationships

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Given that Endeavor can barely even talk to adults in a reasonable fashion as a 40+ year old man, I'm not at all surprised to learn that he couldn't talk to a child in the right way 20 years ago. As always, Endeavor's personality is his ruin.

Also I don't think it's a coincidence that we're getting Hawks' and Dabi's backstories back to back. They both grew up with some pretty lovely parents (including their mothers since Rei seems to be saying that she didn't know how to deal with Touya either so she just ignored him) and had every reason to turn out to be lovely people themselves. But in a sort of callback to what All Might said to Deku - about your body moving on your own towards danger in order to try and help being something that many heroes experienced - Hawks' instinct is always to save people, even when it puts him in danger. Dabi has no such instinct. His father taught him that the only goal was to reach the top and the idea of helping people never crosses his mind at all.

His father tried to teach him that there were other goals. It's just that, well... he was terrible at it.

Endeavor wanted his son to have a happy life, free from his father's burden, but his methods meant that he only intensified things. (Which also helps explain why he was abusive towards Shoto. If one son died due to not being able to push himself, obviously the only way to prevent another tragedy would be making his new kid #1.)

I think I've talked about this before, but it's interesting to compare the redemption arcs for Bakugo and Endeavor, because Bakugo there's a clear feeling of "He was always meant to be an rear end in a top hat... but not quite that much of an rear end in a top hat" when you compare the early chapters to flashbacks later. Things like the "richest hero" line don't fit with later Bakugo. The character who's making improvements isn't quite the same as the character who people hated.

Endeavor, meanwhile, there's clear continuity. We see that Shoto mainly knew his dad at his worst, and see more context... but whenever we flash back to Shoto's training, Endeavor's just as lovely, because that's what he's like at his worst, and that's the sin he's trying to set right. Even if Endeavor's arc wasn't planned out from the beginning, the whole trajectory has been kept in mind as it goes.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think Endeavor might be in the same boat as Katsuki where his early scenes came on much stronger than Horikoshi intended.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine we'll get more clarification next week but so far Endeavor is looking pretty much just as hosed up as he was starting out. His response to Touya not listening was "well I'm going to eugenics even harder".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

It's pretty bad to call either mom a lovely parent considering they were in abusive relationships

Also, Hawks's mom seems... Mentally unwell perhaps? Like, she doesn't seem to be grounded in the same reality as her son and husband in her first appearance, not reacting to the latter yelling at the former at all and staring vacantly at the broken TV.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fabricated posted:

I imagine we'll get more clarification next week but so far Endeavor is looking pretty much just as hosed up as he was starting out. His response to Touya not listening was "well I'm going to eugenics even harder".

The great endeavor redemption arc: eugenicsing harder than ever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This portrayal of Endeavor is indisputably softer than his introduction, to the point I'm having trouble making sense of people claiming otherwise.

I'm not even complaining, I think it's an interesting direction, but to say this information makes Endeavor look as bad as ever just doesn't make sense with what we're seeing on the page.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Roland Jones posted:

Also, Hawks's mom seems... Mentally unwell perhaps? Like, she doesn't seem to be grounded in the same reality as her son and husband in her first appearance, not reacting to the latter yelling at the former at all and staring vacantly at the broken TV.

My take on it is that she has battered woman syndrome (which does count as mental illness, so I agree!), which makes her as much of a victim of Hawks' dad as Hawks is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I think Endeavor might be in the same boat as Katsuki where his early scenes came on much stronger than Horikoshi intended.

If it wasn't for the joint training arc, I'd agree with you, but the Endeavor flashbacks in that one were just as lovely as the Endeavor we had described in the initial appearances. (Contrasting with the non-flashback Endeavor scenes).

Endeavor is overall being portrayed as a much less lovely person than in his initial showings, but unlike Bakugo it's "Yeah, he was that bad sometimes, but that was him at his absolute worst, not his default", rather than "Let's just forget those scenes ever happened."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arist posted:

This portrayal of Endeavor is indisputably softer than his introduction, to the point I'm having trouble making sense of people claiming otherwise.

I'm not even complaining, I think it's an interesting direction, but to say this information makes Endeavor look as bad as ever just doesn't make sense with what we're seeing on the page.

If nothing else, it establishes that he did care about his kids as more than just tools, something that was... Not immediately apparent early on, especially in the flashback where he keeps Shoto from watching his older siblings play. (Chapter 39, for those who want to (re)read it for themselves.)

Edit:

chiasaur11 posted:

If it wasn't for the joint training arc, I'd agree with you, but the Endeavor flashbacks in that one were just as lovely as the Endeavor we had described in the initial appearances. (Contrasting with the non-flashback Endeavor scenes).

Endeavor is overall being portrayed as a much less lovely person than in his initial showings, but unlike Bakugo it's "Yeah, he was that bad sometimes, but that was him at his absolute worst, not his default", rather than "Let's just forget those scenes ever happened."

Oh yeah, those (chapters 202-205 have flashbacks from both Shoto and Endeavor) aren't great either, and show what the latest chapter suggests without having to state it outright: Even if getting Touya over his obsession was part of it, Endeavor's own obsession was a major factor in him having kids past the first two and consumed him eventually.

Tangent, I forgot that Pony stabbed Ojiro and carried him into her team's cage with the horns she stabbed him with in that fight. Honenuki dropping that (softened) tower on Iida and is what stood out to me most at the time, but that might actually be worse. Ojiro, understandably, seemed to be in a lot of pain afterwards too.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 15, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

I agree, but I don't need to cite the JT arc, we can use this very chapter. Look at Page 10 from #301. That's exactly the same Endeavor that we see at the very beginning of the series.

I think it's pretty clear that All Might getting depowered and abruptly retiring broke something inside Endeavor, leading him to become the Endeavor we're seeing in the past several arcs. The very next arc after Kamino we see Endeavor (who's still an enormous jerk, but pretty clearly starting to reflect) ask questions to All Might.

Also, while looking this up I looked again at Page 9 with fresh eyes and now I think I get something that I missed on my original read.

"He inherited that pigheaded stubbornness from me! That's the only way to make him give up. Since he'll never be the one to surpass ..."

Bolding mine. Endeavor is thinking "If Touya is like me, then the same thing that made me give up (realizing All Might was impossible to surpass) should work on him, so we have to create a child that would be clearly impossible for Touya to surpass."

In an earlier post I speculated that it'd be either Rei or Shoto that shut down Touya's attack and got him to chill out, after rereading the chapter I think it's pretty clear that it'll be Shoto that reflexively activates his Ice quirk to defend against Touya. After that Touya will realize -- temporarily -- that he'd lost his spot as #1 and chill out for the 2-3 year timespan (allowing us to get the scene with the 4/5-year-old Shoto watching his siblings play) before we get the self-cremation scene that leads the family to believe that Touya died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Endeavor is like the most Gendo Ikari Hori could get away with in a much lighter work, except with a glimmer of wanting to do the right thing channelled through so, so much brokebrains