Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Yesterday I sent off my samples as part of the Imperial College covid study. I should at least get to find out if I've had it and am asymptomatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

Wait, the students aren't even supposed to all wear masks? That is literally the bare minimum requirement!

Half of the loving teachers at my school don't wear a mask. And of course, we cannot mandate students to wear a mask, that's an unconscionable assault on their freedom! Now if that girl is wearing SPAGHETTI STRAPS well we have the legal right to pull her up to the office and bitch about her clothes for an hour and make her change them. That's different. A boy might get horny since boys are all infants who have no self-control.

We literally cannot tell students to wear a mask and we literally are not supposed to remove those uh "dividers." One of these things, that doesn't work, is a "safety issue," and the other one, that does work, is a "freedom issue."

I'd understand this if A)we had no idea where the finish line was and B)we were actually being as safe as we could. But the vaccine exists, now we're just waiting to get it to people. There are 3.5 months of school till summer vacation and at least in my district it's business as usual with the fake safety of those uh "dividers." The play for any reasonably humane nation that gave a single solitary gently caress about the lives of its people would be to cancel all in-person school till the fall, get everyone vaccinated, and catch up over next summer.

Instead, for the next 3.5 months, we'll all be in 30'x26' rooms for 100 minutes at a time with 30 children craning themselves up in the desk to see over the uh "dividers" and tens of thousands of people are going to loving die who don't have to. Moloch smiles and Mammon laughs.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Helith posted:

Maybe get a box of disposable surgical masks until your cold sore has healed up.

It has, but I've still gotta wash the masks unfortunately :/ Didn't have the money to get disposable surgical masks until now and have kn95s but need new fabric ones

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

This says 98% of bacteria, how effective against droplets? (I know droplets are bigger, but just checking.) I have to be on a place for 20+ hours, then a hospital full of sick people, probably half of whom have covid, and then a place for 20+ hours a week later. I'm vaccinated now, but with the unknown protection against the SA variant, I want to mask up as much as possible and this looks comfortable. If it's not all that effective against covid though, will hae to stick with disposable k95s.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks I’m gonna have to think about it. With tax and shipping it adds like 50% to the cost of the drat thing.

Yeah the shipping was horrible. I also wanted it before I was going to do the volunteer work so I paid for 2 day lol. Naturally it took 5 days, but they refunded my shipping. So I guess you could ask for 2 day, have it fail, and then get your money back!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

compshateme85 posted:

This says 98% of bacteria, how effective against droplets? (I know droplets are bigger, but just checking.) I have to be on a place for 20+ hours, then a hospital full of sick people, probably half of whom have covid, and then a place for 20+ hours a week later. I'm vaccinated now, but with the unknown protection against the SA variant, I want to mask up as much as possible and this looks comfortable. If it's not all that effective against covid though, will hae to stick with disposable k95s.

Yeah the bacteria thing doesn't matter since covid is a virus. Probably just marketing. Regarding droplets, it's just as good as any cloth mask. But it has a filter, so better.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

a while ago some lobotmite tried to argue that "if all they need is a swab from your nose or whatever why cant we just spit in a petri dish" as an 'argument' that the covid tests are being used to put chips in you or something
he did not react well when i revealed that you can, in fact, spit in a petri dish, and the tests have the same accuracy

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

JonathonSpectre posted:

Half of the loving teachers at my school don't wear a mask. And of course, we cannot mandate students to wear a mask, that's an unconscionable assault on their freedom! Now if that girl is wearing SPAGHETTI STRAPS well we have the legal right to pull her up to the office and bitch about her clothes for an hour and make her change them. That's different. A boy might get horny since boys are all infants who have no self-control.

We literally cannot tell students to wear a mask and we literally are not supposed to remove those uh "dividers." One of these things, that doesn't work, is a "safety issue," and the other one, that does work, is a "freedom issue."

I'd understand this if A)we had no idea where the finish line was and B)we were actually being as safe as we could. But the vaccine exists, now we're just waiting to get it to people. There are 3.5 months of school till summer vacation and at least in my district it's business as usual with the fake safety of those uh "dividers." The play for any reasonably humane nation that gave a single solitary gently caress about the lives of its people would be to cancel all in-person school till the fall, get everyone vaccinated, and catch up over next summer.

Instead, for the next 3.5 months, we'll all be in 30'x26' rooms for 100 minutes at a time with 30 children craning themselves up in the desk to see over the uh "dividers" and tens of thousands of people are going to loving die who don't have to. Moloch smiles and Mammon laughs.

Are you a teacher? Google "NYC teacher's rubber room".

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Gynovore posted:

Are you a teacher? Google "NYC teacher's rubber room".

my favourite part of the US education system is the literal padded cells they throw students in when they misbehave slightly
i have friends who have irrepairable mental trauma from that poo poo

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

JonathonSpectre posted:

B-b-b-b-but Mhykaylah and Brundans development and socialization! :qq:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
how worried should i be about those four post-vaccination positive cases?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Probably not very considering none of them claimed 100% protection.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
okay cool, i assumed The Worst.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The studies showed they had a 95% protection rate, so you'd expect about 4 mildly symptomatic cases for every 80 fully vaccinated people.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the Moderna vaccine has a 94.1% effectiveness rate in clinical trials.

let's say for the sake of making the math easy that 5,000,000 Americans have gotten the Moderna vaccine. 295,000 of them might be still able to be infected.

that's one of the reasons that it's important to have huge numbers of people vaccinated.

edit:

and it's impossible for the vaccine itself to infect anybody. the vaccines don't contain the whole virus.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

JonathonSpectre posted:

Half of the loving teachers at my school don't wear a mask. And of course, we cannot mandate students to wear a mask, that's an unconscionable assault on their freedom! Now if that girl is wearing SPAGHETTI STRAPS well we have the legal right to pull her up to the office and bitch about her clothes for an hour and make her change them. That's different.
I'm sorry, but I think your school is actually a temple to Nurgle. It's the only way this makes any sense.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Empty Sandwich posted:

the Moderna vaccine has a 94.1% effectiveness rate in clinical trials.

let's say for the sake of making the math easy that 5,000,000 Americans have gotten the Moderna vaccine. 295,000 of them might be still able to be infected.

that's one of the reasons that it's important to have huge numbers of people vaccinated.

edit:

and it's impossible for the vaccine itself to infect anybody. the vaccines don't contain the whole virus.

I think you are confused as to what 94% efficacy refers to - it has been show to prevent symptomatic disease in 94%

It doesn't make you immune to it.

You may still get covid and experience mild symptoms.

You may still get covid and be asymptomatic.

You should assume you will be capable of transmitting covid in either case.

Current recommendations include continuing mask wearing and social distancing fir these reasons.

(Do people not know this?!)

Blitter fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 14, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

You may still be capable of transmitting covid in either case.

FTFY

(It has not been studied whether you can be contagiuos after being vaccinated, so we should assume you can. But you can't say if people will or not.)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Blitter posted:

I think you are confused as to what 94% efficacy refers to - it has been show to prevent severe disease in 94%
No, they screen for symptomatic cases in the Pfizer and Moderna trials, not just 'severe' ones--they were each about 95% effective by that metric. Very mild cases might not always get self reported though.
Very early data out of Israel seems to suggest a substantial reduction in viral load from vaccinated asymptomatic cases but their methodology is a bit weak. I'm hoping for better, more direct metrics soonish from them.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 14, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

FTFY

(It has not been studied whether you can be contagiuos after being vaccinated, so we should assume you can. But you can't say if people will or not.)

I've changed my wording but those cases mentioned previously certainty sounded like they were sufficiently symptomatic to be contagious. At a minimum 6% of those vaccinated will be capable of being contagious..

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Blitter posted:

Current recommendations include continuing mask wearing and social distancing fir these reasons.

Vaccination hasn't even started here and a lot of people are no longer following thee vaccine recommendations. The only way people are going to continue infection control behaviours once the vaccine arrives is if those behaviours are mandatory.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

I've changed my wording but those cases mentioned previously certainty sounded like they were sufficiently symptomatic to be contagious. At a minimum 6% of those vaccinated will be capable of being contagious..

I wish the record to show that I have no issue with the above statement.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
huh. genuine question, then: is not granting immunity the case for every vaccine, or only for this one?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
p much every one

the reason why the poo poo is mandatory is that even w only 95% effectiveness, thats good enough to prevent significant outbreaks

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Empty Sandwich posted:

huh. genuine question, then: is not granting immunity the case for every vaccine, or only for this one?

BCG, the vaccine for Tuberculosis is 60-80% effective-ish per some UK studies.
The point of vaccines is herd immunity and crushing the spread of disease, not to make every individual perfectly immune to the disease.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

p much every one

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
ok... the CDC and everybody else I've checked in the last 3 minutes uses the word immunity despite the fact that we're not hitting an impossible platonic ideal, so I don't think I'm off base for using it. I don't know poo poo about virology, but I always want the mot juste, goddammit.

I didn't know that infection was still straight-up possible/likely, but it makes perfect sense, I guess... a vaccine isn't a shield so much as a signal to put up the shield.

edit:

SubNat posted:

The point of vaccines is herd immunity and crushing the spread of disease, not to make every individual perfectly immune to the disease.

oh, I know it's a spectrum*. that's what I was talking about. I was wondering about the semantic point.

*heh

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 14, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
immunity is immunity for those 95% of peeps. you could roll around in infected peeps bedding and not notice

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

SubNat posted:

Post proof of this.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
have a gif

https://imgur.com/gallery/8M7q8

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

bob dobbs is dead posted:

immunity is immunity for those 95% of peeps. you could roll around in infected peeps bedding and not notice

And then, also without noticing, infect someone, and kill them.

(No, we don't know how likely this is but until proven that infectiousness is vastly reduced please treat people with the appropriate amount of care and caution).

Blitter fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 14, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ardlen posted:

I'm sorry, but I think your school is actually a temple to Nurgle. It's the only way this makes any sense.
No that's just Florida, where our governor is probably taking money from Big COVID, otherwise everything he's doing is insane

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Post proof of this.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vacci...0in%20children.

NHS pegs it at 70-80%

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Blitter posted:

I think you are confused as to what 94% efficacy refers to - it has been show to prevent symptomatic disease in 94%

It doesn't make you immune to it.

You should assume you will be capable of transmitting covid in either case.

I did not.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

sorry though you mean for coronavirus haha

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Jr. posted:

Checking in as a Moderna-getter, I got mine in my non-dominant arm on Thursday, took the next day off work (didn't really need it but :shrug:) based on what I heard here and that seems to be a smart move.

Arm is sore as hell still as of today, and I slept through the whole day. Not much to get up and do anyway since there's a massive winter storm in my area.

I hope this bodes well for Shot #2 that I didn't have any flu-like symptoms. We'll see in March, I guess.

amethystbliss posted:

For my first shot of Moderna, I had a sore arm the first day and the second day I had a low grade fever, chills and vomiting. Second dose was much worse. I was in bed for most of two days, throwing up a lot, the worst headache of my life, and a fever of 103 with chills. I was expecting second dose to be much worse based on what my fellow nurse friends were saying but that was a rough two days.

Yeah, so far I'm just feeling a little pain at the injection site today. I rarely ever get sick, but I don't think that matters from what I've read here and elsewhere anyway. Hell, I still wonder if I had the roni last year when work was still forcing me to travel (was going through Chicago Airport 4 times a month minimum until late March iirc) to various conus sites. Again, not sure that it would matter anyway, but would be interesting to know.

Will be interesting to see how second injection goes, I think I'm supposed to get it around the 16th of March, have to look at the calendar.

The lymph node under my left arm gave about 1/4 of a poo poo for a few hours yesterday, thats pretty much it. I found that part amusing lol. Big "yeah dipshit, you did this to yourself, I'm going back to sleep" vibes.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Oh, not me my dude.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Post proof of this.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Yeah, I specified "the vaccine for tuberculosis", but I can understand how any chat about vaccines in this thread is assumed to be about the covid-19 ones.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
My big question is whether or not the vaccines protect against clotting, myocarditis, and other asymptomatic vascular damage. I feel like the trials were looking at respiratory symptoms/covid toes/anosmia etc. Like is the vaccine just a "get out of ARDS free" card or does it prevent all the long covid and sudden death stuff

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I’m surprised there aren’t more than that just from mishandled cold storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
In local Swedish news, a few hospitals have paused vaccinations of staff (using Astra Zeneca) because it turns out about 200 staff out of 800 vaccinated called in sick due to the side effects (mainly fever). The expected rate from the studies is only 10%. Parts of some hospitals now have trouble operating, leading to the pause. No symptoms observed apart from the expected, though.

They were smart enough to not vaccinate everyone working on the same ward at once, at least.
I guess they'll just proceed at a slower rate.

30% of the vaccinated staff called in sick at this French hospital: https://france3-regions.francetvinf...ns-1954219.html

SchnorkIes posted:

My big question is whether or not the vaccines protect against clotting, myocarditis, and other asymptomatic vascular damage. I feel like the trials were looking at respiratory symptoms/covid toes/anosmia etc. Like is the vaccine just a "get out of ARDS free" card or does it prevent all the long covid and sudden death stuff

Layman's guess? Since the vaccines attempt to stop infection of cells by training the immune cells to identify and neutralize the spike proteins, vaccinated people should see lower-grade infection across all types of cells. Meaning, vascular tissue should be as protected as the tissue in the lungs.
But guess what, it hasn't been studied so no one knows right now. Give it a few months.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 14, 2021