Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i didnt really like the premise or the writing but i definitely enjoyed peck as spock though i cant forgive him for "i like science"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

I think all Vulcans should be rage cases just drugged up to the point they can only say emotionless factualisms while physically holding their eyelids open

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Emotionless blank slate Vulcans stink anyway, there's a reason why the most memorable ones are Spock, Sarek and Tuvok. You never look at any of that trio and think they're unfeeling.

Discovery's Spock and Sarek did this a million times better than Quinto's movie Spock

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Having just rewatched the first season, I really dig James Frain’s Sarek as well. No one’s ever going to beat Mark Lenard, but he’s better than the guy from ST09.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seemlar posted:

Emotionless blank slate Vulcans stink anyway, there's a reason why the most memorable ones are Spock, Sarek and Tuvok. You never look at any of that trio and think they're unfeeling.

Discovery's Spock and Sarek did this a million times better than Quinto's movie Spock
Look, if Spock isn’t screaming and punching someone, how else would we know what he’s feeling?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Anovos has been advertising their Disco uniform replicas recently and actually put out some fairly interesting tidbits about the real uniforms. I’ll spare you the merchandising push, but just read this nonsense;

quote:

The uniforms from Star Trek Discovery are some of the most complicated uniforms ever created for any Star Trek series. As cool as they look - their intricate nature created challenges for almost every department on set, behind the scenes, for the people wearing them, and when it came time to create our replica.

One example - the superhero-like, smooth, form-fitted costumes presented problems every day for the sound department as there was simply no place to hide the microphone battery packs that every primary actor is fitted with. This often meant that when an actor simply turns around, all action on the set has to come to a stop to reposition a prominent battery pack.

Then imagine being an actor wearing those costumes. Between shots & setups, the costumes are constantly being patted down, smoothed out, stretched, and steamed...with the actors still in them. The look production demanded for all Starfleet personnel is nothing less than a perfectly "squared away" professional military appearance at all times. This meant that as soon as the cameras were paused for even a few minutes, the on-set dresser went to work ensuring the costume department's hard work always looked its best.

One of the hardest components of those uniforms to maintain is the metallic elements. They are constantly cracking and flaking off their highly reflective, metallic surface coating. Take for example the concentric ovals of department-colored stripes that go around the arms of the uniform tunic. The stripes on the original costumes are made of multiple layers of lofted screen printing which has a metallic foil bonded to the surface using a proprietary technique. They LOOK fantastic! But, the thicker the stripes got the more brittle they became.

We spent a long time and more prototypes than I want to remember trying to improve upon the original design, and we HAD to improve upon it. Working with the original costumes, and in consultation with Discovery's costume designer - Gersha Phillips (and her amazing team), it became clear very very quickly that while we could replicate her processes, we couldn't ship a product that used it.

The new grey unis are boring as hell, but good riddance to the old skintight pajamas that only looked good on Saru and Culber.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If they'd been smart they'd have taken the L on the design after the first season and just used the "new" TOS uniforms Pike had as part of him taking over the ship.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
That wouldn't change much, they're the same uniforms just with a different colour scheme

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Seemlar posted:

That wouldn't change much, they're the same uniforms just with a different colour scheme

But they don't have the metallic elements present on the Discovery uniforms that the quote was complaining about.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The_Doctor posted:

But they don't have the metallic elements present on the Discovery uniforms that the quote was complaining about.
They also just plain look a lot better than the Disco ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

They also just plain look a lot better than the Disco ones.

If you look at the production stills they also just don't care if the uniform gets slightly crinkled or creased.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I know they're probably not, but the Enterprise uniforms looked like they were made out of neoprene.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Part of it probably has to do with them not wanting to waste money making new uniforms for all the cast and extras in Season 2.

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1359330594619031562?s=19

Folks, it's Michael Burnham.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I know they're probably not, but the Enterprise uniforms looked like they were made out of neoprene.

There’s probably a whole lot of spandex or some other stretchy material in them to keep them so crisp and form fitting. They look every bit as uncomfortable as the TNG Season 1 outfits.

Hahahahahahahahhaha holy poo poo

That Saru finally arrived today and he looks decent, though he has the benefit of not requiring one of Mego’s godawful likeness sculpts.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 10, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

xerxus posted:

Part of it probably has to do with them not wanting to waste money making new uniforms for all the cast and extras in Season 2.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

...if you say so, I guess

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

xerxus posted:

I wasn't aware they made Red Dwarf action figures.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Need more of this. Disco seemed like it could've had some amazing memes come from it but I barely saw any.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

they made a Kobayashi Maru browser game, apparently there's a 1-in-10,000 chance to actually win, and you can win prizes (including a lifetime CBS+ Paramount+ sub

https://www.kobayashimaru.com/?utm=stfcpr

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

they made a Kobayashi Maru browser game, apparently there's a 1-in-10,000 chance to actually win, and you can win prizes (including a lifetime CBS+ Paramount+ sub

The true no win situation.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

For once I'd be okay with the winners cheating.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Didn't someone in the production team get smug on the uniform being difficult to replicate by fans at one point, too? 'Look at how impratical our costumes are, plebes!'

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 12, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I loved all the breathless coverage of the new designs like "the lining is a million nanoprinted starfleet insignia! This is invisible on television and overheats the actor after minutes of shooting, but! A million dollar proprietary tech had to be developed for wait this was supposed to be the 'pro' list"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The STD uniforms do look comfy and like something a real future spaceship crew could wear though. The TNG-era uniforms all look like cheap, uncomfortable and ill-fitting halloween costumes, htbh.

e: I guess the post first contact grey uniforms do look somewhat decent when they actually fit, but those were made on a movie blockbuster budget so they were probably $10 trillion a piece custom made or something too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brawnfire posted:

I loved all the breathless coverage of the new designs like "the lining is a million nanoprinted starfleet insignia! This is invisible on television and overheats the actor after minutes of shooting, but! A million dollar proprietary tech had to be developed for wait this was supposed to be the 'pro' list"

This just makes me think if you looked at something like the same coverage for the Enterprise uniforms it'd be a brief remark like "we made it like a NASA jumpsuit so it looks functional, stands out on a set, and has all kinds of places to stash a battery or props for the actor to use".

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This just makes me think if you looked at something like the same coverage for the Enterprise uniforms it'd be a brief remark like "we made it like a NASA jumpsuit so it looks functional, stands out on a set, and has all kinds of places to stash a battery or props for the actor to use".

That's why I love the ST:ENT unis, by the way.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
You'd think that once a franchise evolves past the need for boom mics, having somewhere in the costumes to stash a battery pack would be near the top of the design requirement bullet points, but there you go.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Weird way to announce that Sonequa Martin-Green has been recast with a 10 year old boy for season 4.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

xerxus posted:

But what is Freddy Kruger doing with her?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I legit thought that was an ad for a new episode of Robot Chicken

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I legit thought that was an ad for a new episode of Robot Chicken

I can totally see Robot Chicken doing an episode about Star Trek, and I'm sure they'd have a bit of fun with Discovery's turbolift shafts. And by shafts, I mean pocket multiverses.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They already did a few, this one's my fav: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ApQrbhQp8

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Has this been posted already?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Why does Mater's face on the D7 work so well?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Give us the shot of the Enterprise pooping out the shuttlebaby.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MariusLecter posted:

I definitely feel like I would have remembered this

I want to see a Cars Borg cube and V'ger please

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

MariusLecter posted:

this is an act of violence

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh god, I just stumbled across this.

Freecloud's the planet of the Ancaps.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hmm, it looks like it might actually come down to skill

quote:

WINNER SELECTION/VALIDATION: The three (3) Eligible Entries by the end of the Contest Period with the fastest Game completion time will be declared the winners – Fastest time will be the 1st Prize Winner; second fastest time will be the 2nd Prize Winner; third fastest time will be the 3rd Prize Winner. In the event of a tie, winner(s) will be determined based upon the first Eligible Entry to attain his/her score.

After six deaths, it prompts you to enter a password. This is likely the "cheat" that will allow you to win the game. Notice how 7/10 high scores on the leaderboard won after six deaths. The timer also resets if you relaunch the game, so if you figure out the fail states that trigger learning the password, you could speed run to those points and then rush to the ending. It looks like the guy in first place figured it out and has the #1 and #2 positions. Pretty lovely how the leaderboard doxxes your first and last name though. Considering the value of the top three prizes, it doesn't seem like a bad way of wasting an afternoon if one of you is bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

One example - the superhero-like, smooth, form-fitted costumes presented problems every day for the sound department as there was simply no place to hide the microphone battery packs that every primary actor is fitted with. This often meant that when an actor simply turns around, all action on the set has to come to a stop to reposition a prominent battery pack.

Wait, is that really how they record dialogue? Don't they still use boom mic's and/or ADR?