Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Our kitchenette is tiny and from the 50's, so there is absolutely no space for a real dishwasher without reconfiguring the whole deal, replacing the sink and building new cabinets from scratch. After three years of living here my husband bought this dumb Salora tabletop dishwasher and I've grudgingly grown to love it. Takes 5 liters of water for one machineful and 30 minutes, no need to hook it up to a water supply other than put the drainage pipe to the sink. Both of us like cooking and we make food at home almost every day, so it's nice when you can chuck all the plates and glasses and tableware in from accumulating limited counter space. Big stuff I still wash by hand but that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

barbecue at the folks posted:

That Bob thing seems to be targeted at outdoorsy types with money, the fact that it can be easily run without access to running water must make it worth the money to a certain demographic. If I still lived in my tiny suicide cube studio apartment without a dishwasher I might honestly consider one, the fact that it's easily moved on and off a countertop sounds like exactly what I needed back in the day. Of course I was poor as hell back then so washing dishes by hand in a tiny sink would've been the thing anyways...

What makes me suspicious is the cartridge it uses, seems ominously similarly to the ink cartridge racket. The manufacturer claims it can use regular detergent, but that will probably be much less convenient / more messy.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My mom has never had a dishwasher, now that she’s gotten older and doesn’t want to update her house at all her entire setup is rather frustrating.

I was trying to push her towards a new appliance suite and was surprised with how limited the smaller sized dishwasher were. I thought there would be a ton of like half width models at the big box stores.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I wanted to find an ultra slim fridge (40cm wide or 16") but no luck

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Dishwashers and washers are great. They use less water & power than doing it by hand.

Dryers are entirely pointless though, ruin clothes prematurely and waste too much electricity. Notihng like the clean, crisp feel of line dried clothes, and in the sun they get that extra clean feeling. Clothes out of the dryer feels like you've already worn them for a week.

On the other hand, UV will damage pigments and some fibers, and if you live somewhere where it rains a lot, your clothes don’t get dry.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

drgitlin posted:

On the other hand, UV will damage pigments and some fibers, and if you live somewhere where it rains a lot, your clothes don’t get dry.

We just dry our stuff indoors on a rack, the air in our apartment is really dry year round so it brings moisture and a nice smell of detergent.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

barbecue at the folks posted:

a nice smell of detergent.

I think you need to up the number of rinse cycles :stonk:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think you need to up the number of rinse cycles :stonk:

They probably mean fabric conditioner.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I wanted to find an ultra slim fridge (40cm wide or 16") but no luck

The market for that would be you and you alone, the thickness of the insulation won't change so your 40cm wide fridge ends up with a 25-ish cm wide cavity inside, but it'll cost more to produce (smaller production runs = higher unit cost). I'm sure you knew that bit though.

Out of interest what's your use case for the slenderfridge?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

drgitlin posted:

They probably mean fabric conditioner.

this

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dishwashers and washers are great. They use less water & power than doing it by hand.

Dryers are entirely pointless though, ruin clothes prematurely and waste too much electricity. Notihng like the clean, crisp feel of line dried clothes, and in the sun they get that extra clean feeling. Clothes out of the dryer feels like you've already worn them for a week.

It's -15F out today without wind. Where am I line drying clothes for real.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

My fabric softener smells like nothing by design but my laundry detergent does and it's strong enough to cut through even when I use the extra rinse option. :shrug: It's not a very noticeable smell unless I literally put my face into a shirt or something, but I prefer it to no smell at all.

e: I live in an apartment so I have to dry my clothes indoors on a rack, except in the summer when I can use the balcony and besides the room it takes up it's pretty nice. There's a drying room downstairs that I use for bedding since I can't fit them all on the rack at once and it definitely eats away from the freshness of air dried fabrics, especially if they've been drying outdoors. Can't imagine a dryer is any better.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 15, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

It's super foggy where I live, and even indoors it takes close to 24 hours for some items to line dry.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

I have no idea how cold that is but usually in Winter I do it in the bathroom, in front of a radiator, or next to the fireplace.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I love the feeling of clothes out of a dryer - we never used fabric conditioner when I was young; everything just came out warm and soft instead. I don't have one where I live now, though; we rent, and I can't really be bothered either leaving one for the owner or trying to move it. Clothes rack in the hallway will do.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have no idea how cold that is but usually in Winter I do it in the bathroom, in front of a radiator, or next to the fireplace.

-26C. I don't own a fireplace or a radiator. But yeah I know what you're getting at.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cakesmith handyman posted:

The market for that would be you and you alone, the thickness of the insulation won't change so your 40cm wide fridge ends up with a 25-ish cm wide cavity inside, but it'll cost more to produce (smaller production runs = higher unit cost). I'm sure you knew that bit though.

Out of interest what's your use case for the slenderfridge?

I got this narrow space behind my office chair I thought would make a good spot for additional cold storage. And I could keep beers there, just have to reach over behind me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

seems like there's portable refrigerators that may fit the bill but I don't know anything about connecting an automobile appliance to AC.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

The Dave posted:

My mom has never had a dishwasher, now that she’s gotten older and doesn’t want to update her house at all her entire setup is rather frustrating.

I was trying to push her towards a new appliance suite and was surprised with how limited the smaller sized dishwasher were. I thought there would be a ton of like half width models at the big box stores.

My dad rented out his parents' house for a few years after they died, and one of the tenants had a portable dishwasher. Basically something she would periodically bring over to the sink, hook up a hose to the faucet and put a drain hose in the sink, and let it run.

The big issue with that was one of the wheels was broken, so she tore up the linoleum with it, and it had to be replaced when my brother moved into the house. She also completely covered one wall with finishing nails that she hung pictures on and her cats peed on every carpet, so there was a lot to do.

I don't think they ever did get a dishwasher in that house, it was a tiny kitchen.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I got this narrow space behind my office chair I thought would make a good spot for additional cold storage. And I could keep beers there, just have to reach over behind me.

Well I went googling and found some 350mm "drinks fridge"s with glass doors and compressors, most of what comes under "mini fridge" either doesn't tell you how it's powered or is peltier. Looks like you can get what you're after so I take it back.

E: also products at the 250mm and 150mm widths

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

TVs Ian posted:

My dad rented out his parents' house for a few years after they died, and one of the tenants had a portable dishwasher. Basically something she would periodically bring over to the sink, hook up a hose to the faucet and put a drain hose in the sink, and let it run.

The big issue with that was one of the wheels was broken, so she tore up the linoleum with it, and it had to be replaced when my brother moved into the house. She also completely covered one wall with finishing nails that she hung pictures on and her cats peed on every carpet, so there was a lot to do.

I don't think they ever did get a dishwasher in that house, it was a tiny kitchen.

My buddies family had a portable when I was a kid. It actually worked pretty well.

We got rid of dishwasher a few years ago and replaced it with cabinet space. It's just as easy just to do dishes yourself. Dishwashers are slow and they irritate me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mostlygray posted:

My buddies family had a portable when I was a kid. It actually worked pretty well.

We got rid of dishwasher a few years ago and replaced it with cabinet space. It's just as easy just to do dishes yourself. Dishwashers are slow and they irritate me.

I have a tiny kitchen and I can't wait until the day that I can rip out all the old cabinets and install a dishwasher. Every minute of my life spent handwashing dishes feels like a waste and I hate it very much. I've also managed to break a few glasses recently, which would have never happened had they gone into a dishwasher, so I'm feeling even more bitter about it than usual. And it's a hugely inefficient use of water! Literally no upsides imho.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Heat pump dryers are the solution here. They use way less energy than a electric/gas dryer, and they don't super heat your clothing, more like a gentle dehumidification. As an additional bonus, they don't require a vent, so they can be mounted somewhere that's difficult to run and no risk of CO leaks or lint fires.

They are slow and expensive right now, but hopefully they improve and catch on more in the US.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Slanderer posted:

that mini dishwasher doesn’t even look that small, and it’s insanely expensive. I got a countertop one a few apartments back for $150 that worked great (and hooked up to the kitchen faucet). huge help in a kitchen with only single small + shallow sink

I got curious so I looked it up--I got this dishwasher delivered by Amazon for $200 before it was discontinued (they're actually pretty light if there's no water inside). Approx ~22" x 20" x 17", and I immediately started recommending it to friends in similar apartments.

https://www.sunpentown.com/product/sd-2201w-countertop-dishwasher-white/

It's a huge plus to throw your normal plates and utensils in a dishasher, even if you have to handwash all your pans, utensils and tupperware, just so your single sink basin doesnt fill up with dirty dishes before you can start washing up after cooking.

My landlord tried to get mad at me for it later for causing a leak (it didn't, but it exacerbated an existing leak in the sink sprayer, which dripped under the sink whenever the faucet was on) and for using to much water (despite using way less water than hand washing).

edit: OK lol i just saw this note

quote:

For standard faucet head with a side/detached sprayer: while attached to the faucet, some detached sprayers will experience water leakage due to line pressure. This is from the design of these faucets to redirect the water pressure from the main faucet head to the side sprayer. If you have a side sprayer, you will most likely need to install a water line that is separated from the sprayer.

lmao ok fair enough, but i'm not sure that note was added to the Amazon listing when I bought it. But it still worked fine after I installed a new faucet + sprayer (paid for by my landlord after I threatened to take it out of the rent lol).

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 15, 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

GreenNight posted:

who needs a line?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Those aren’t dry, though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

drgitlin posted:

Those aren’t dry, though.

Technically they are.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I mean, it’s called wet ice and not dry ice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

-26C. I don't own a fireplace or a radiator.

Oh it's -26 indoors. I'm sorry!

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Technically they are.

Yes, they dry by sublimation.

Freshest smelling laundry too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Mini dishwashers have been available for decades.

I literally didn't know these existed before reading the last two pages.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Same.

Of course, I also was unaware of combo washer/dryers you can wheel around and hook up to your kitchen sink before SA as well.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Clothes absolutely will line dry at below freezing. It's called sublimation.

It's just going to be real unpleasant bringing them in.

Efb did we all post at the same time?

Ugh there was a whole other page just let me die

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I must be somewhere in the center here, I like having a dishwasher, I wouldn't get rid of one, I wouldn't turn away a house just because it didn't have one, and I don't care about the quality of them hardly. If it's old and loud that's a problem, but I've not had one that did a bad job. And I just knock off big food debris, rarely rinsing.

Same with washers and dryers.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Same.

Of course, I also was unaware of combo washer/dryers you can wheel around and hook up to your kitchen sink before SA as well.

...wait what?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I didn't know foreigners made butter knives out of metal until I read about it in YOSPOS.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BonerGhost posted:

Clothes absolutely will line dry at below freezing. It's called sublimation.

It's just going to be real unpleasant bringing them in.

Efb did we all post at the same time?

Ugh there was a whole other page just let me die

And that's how he became a BonerGhost.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Warmachine posted:

...wait what?

This sort of thing: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Version-Pyle-Portable-Capacity/dp/B01MAVR8UW

We had one when I was a kid. Clothes don't really come out dry, they come out about as dry as from a normal washing machine, then you hang them to finish drying. Better then washing by hand if you are too poor or have no hookups for normal laundry machines and the nearest laundromat is too far away.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I didn't know foreigners made butter knives out of metal until I read about it in YOSPOS.
What would you make them out of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My Lovely Horse posted:

What would you make them out of

Butter. Duh.