Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

His Divine Shadow posted:

I wanted to find an ultra slim fridge (40cm wide or 16") but no luck

There are powered coolers that might fit your needs, they do tend to be pretty expensive though. This is one I was looking at for my solar rig for when I'm camping or the inevitable local power outage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRDNXPL/?coliid=I3RG5HVKTIAFAH&colid=1UHB6728J1YVL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

My sister has an Igloo one she uses in her Westfalia van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

GallienKruger posted:

I'm only sharing this so that you can see all the wonderful treasures, and on the condition you don't buy it before I can.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6432-Leighton-Ave-Lincoln-NE-68507/6609412_zpid/

Yeah, there are a number of older houses like this in our area, where they've clearly gone through 2-3 stages of additions plus like turning the attic into a finished space which have turned the whole thing into a weird, cramped labyrinth. I promise that place is like twice as claustrophobic as it looks in the photos.

Our realtor even took us to a place that I explicitly told her we weren't going to buy because I wanted to see it so bad. One master bedroom has a large bathing tub inexplicably set into the wall, in addition to there being an attached master bath and another bathroom down the hall.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Jows posted:

What would this alcove have been used for originally?

Storing your casks of amontillado?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is my favorite bit:

That opening barely looks 6ft tall.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
live
laugh
duck

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Wasabi the J posted:

live
laugh
duck

live
laugh
skull fracture
die

GallienKruger
Nov 25, 2005

You'd think they'd put Joseph Smith's golden plate somewhere it wouldn't get knocked down and broken, especially if it works on Ark of the Covenant rules

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Jows posted:

Sex, Torture and Sex torture.

There used to be some hand cuffs hanging from the ceiling

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Maigius posted:

:golfclap:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Wasabi the J posted:

live
laugh
duck

was a thing in so many old stone country pubs that had like 5ft arches that I visited with family as a kid.

(grouse being another term for complain here)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Jows posted:

Woodstove.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jows posted:

Burying your wife and her black cat.

Actually, it's a support for the fireplace hearthstone above.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Finishing a reno/fixing what the previous contractor screwed up. I swear if he touched a level while framing he would have burst into flames. The lady wasn't happy when I told her I was going to have to rip out at least 1/3 of the wiring because it was nowhere in the same galaxy as code. One 15amp breaker went to a light switch, then a string of three lights, two outlets, another switch, another three outlets then a water pump and then back to another 15amp outlet. :psypop: (the one daisy chain was more matters and electrical tape than wire, and ended as the top plugin in an outlet, while the other breaker ended as the bottom of that same outlet)

One doorframe that could not be fixed (only shimmed then framed) was 3/4" too short for a door, and along one side was a complete inch and a 1/4" out. I framed in and hung two doors downstairs in the basement and she couldn't believe that it was possible to do in a morning.

I asked why she kept the other guy on since he's done two months of work in a year and a half. She said they started dating a month after he started and she hired me when they broke up.

The absolute most obvious sign he was not the guy for the job was when he took a full two days to floor a 12x14' room with click-together laminate flooring. I managed to the other two bedrooms, kitchen/livingroom and hallway in a day, which was fun since he reframed the rooms and had obviously never used a square it tape measure.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 17, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jesus; that sounds exactly like my sister's ex.

At one point, the bathtub in the one bathroom was fed by a copper pipe sticking out of the wall, and the floor was bare plywood.

While left like that, he was in the other bathroom, busy hand-tiling a corner sink. With tiny mosaic tiles. The sink was improperly installed, but drat if he didn't spend six weeks gluing one tile at a time to it.

I spent years re-doing his hosed-up poo poo. I would dread every time the phone rang & it was my sister. What made it worse is that we had to arrange it so I could repair his gently caress-ups while he was not around to see or hear of it, or he'd get into a three-day snit.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
When I was doing the metal roof I got half way along one side and said to myself, "wow, this is going on really straight, I've only jogged it up maybe 1/16" over the 25 feet. By the time I did the whole side I was jogging it by 1/4" each 3' sheet and the last piece of metal was 1" at the top and 3" at the bottom. In all honesty, I would have told her to start over if I showed up a year ago. In the bathroom there are 6"x2' tiles on the floor, and the guy laid one that was sticking 4" into the hallway. . . and never cut it! I don't have a tile say, so I told her to grab a few handfuls of cutting bits for her dremel and make an afternoon of it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/fchollet/status/1361865862538436608

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What's the benefit of making a utensil for food prep--and more specifically the part that contacts food--out of a porous material?

Look, I didn't invent the thing.

Dareon posted:

Yeah, I only know there's a difference because of receiving one (1) butter knife in a donation of cutlery to restock my kitchen after my house burned down. It's the only utensil I own besides the can opener that is recognizably designed to be used right-handed. Problem: I am left-handed.

Seriouspost: OK now I've gotta see it; how can a knife be right-handed?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Seriouspost: OK now I've gotta see it; how can a knife be right-handed?

At a guess, the handle is curved, and the knife has a bend in it, such that if you hold it comfortably in your left hand, the bend causes the blade to go the wrong way. I cannot however, conceive of why someone would design a butter knife like this.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The offset makes it easier to use the entire flat of the blade and have it contact the food at a better angle. Also it keeps your knuckles from hitting the food but it has to be a large food before that is a concern

E:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

At a guess, the handle is curved, and the knife has a bend in it, such that if you hold it comfortably in your left hand, the bend causes the blade to go the wrong way. I cannot however, conceive of why someone would design a butter knife like this.

If you used one for a while you might get it, I have a couple of them and I find them more comfortable to use than a table knife or flexible metal spreader

titties fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 17, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's anathema. The bend makes it harder to butter a slice of bread that's flat on a surface, unless you have it in your left hand :psyduck:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 17, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's anathema. The bend makes it harder to butter a slice of bread that's flat on a surface, unless you have it in your left hand :psyduck:

If you've never used one I don't think you're qualified to comment on that.

Yeah that's right. You're not qualified to comment on the functionality of a butter knife.

That's devastating I'm sure. Hopefully you find a chance to acquire one and test it out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Yeah that's right. You're not qualified to comment on the functionality of a butter knife.

That's devastating I'm sure. Hopefully you find a chance to acquire one and test it out.

You can't argue with this BMP (or whatever I saved it as):

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

StormDrain posted:

:iceburn:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Flip it over

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

GallienKruger posted:

Going through home shopping hell. I'm constantly clicking links to manufactured home 1B with floor layout #4z56. It's all the same and it's all crap, but I've finally found the one. The home that will never bore me.

I'm only sharing this so that you can see all the wonderful treasures, and on the condition you don't buy it before I can.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6432-Leighton-Ave-Lincoln-NE-68507/6609412_zpid/

I like this room that's straight out of a paranormal horror movie set. Something is gonna jump out of that mirror, I just know it

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Whoa.

BonerGhost posted:

Flip it over

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonerGhost posted:

Flip it over

That would put the edge on the wrong side unless you butter... away from yourself? :laffo: so it seriously is left-handed not right-handed, because not a person on this earth butters away from themselves.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That would put the edge on the wrong side unless you butter... away from yourself? :laffo: so it seriously is left-handed not right-handed, because not a person on this earth butters away from themselves.

AN advanced technique is to spread the butter in either direction but it takes many years of training and meditation

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Goddamn nobody knows how to make a trowel any more, where are my fingats meant to go?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Are you doing some kind of bit?

Have you never frosted a cake?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonerGhost posted:

Are you doing some kind of bit?

Have you never frosted a cake?

Not with butter, no.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We are all learning so much about each other :allears:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jows posted:

Bricking up your enemy with a small cask of premium wine?

Maigius posted:

God drat it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not with butter, no.

Look I know that Finland does everything completely differently to the rest of the world but this isn't that hard Jerry, you slice the butter with the knife, carry it from the dish to the bread on the "inside" of the knife, i.e. the side that your diagram shows facing the bread, and then, and here's the real tricky bit, you dump the piece of butter on the bread, flip the knife over, and spread the butter with the OTHER SIDE whoaaaaaaaaaa did I just blow your mind there? Like, as someone pointed out, frosting a cake, such that the offset in the knife helps you.

Also yes, it is common to hold the bread in your hand as you butter it, such that you can angle it appropriately and have a more forgiving and self-adjusting amount of equal and opposite force applied counteracting the butter knife (since, for instance, if the butter is cold and you have soft toast, it may be tricky to apply without tearing the bread apart, and you can use your fingers to apply pressure more accurately opposing where the knife is at any given point in time).

There, that's far more words and thought than actually is necessary or that anyone actually puts into the simple task of applying butter to bread using a butter knife. And yes, people do butter away from themselves, or towards themselves, or in all kinds of directions depending on their whims, the bread, and the butter, because, and this is the important part, buttering bread is an unconscious action that people do in the way that is most convenient at the time.

That said, your diagram clearly shows bread sitting directly on the table while being buttered, so apparently you're a dirty heathen who doesn't use a plate which is probably the most horrifying bit out of all of this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well it says table because I thought if I said "pull-out bread-cutting board" the Anglos would be all :confused: again.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Cakes are frosted with whipped cream right.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Cakes are frosted with whipped cream right.

Yeah and you use a tööt to apply it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

BonerGhost posted:

Flip it over

???

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah and you use a tööt to apply it.

Really? Not sure how I feel about an instrument of war in a kitchen