Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

xtal posted:

Turn it into an RSS feed generator and sell it to goons for :10bux:

to do that i would first have to have anything beyond a very very very basic idea of what an RSS feed is
i've just... never used one, so i dont really know what making a generator would entail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really like how much flexibility you have with the UI in Linux. Whatever UI metaphor you like you can pretty much make it a reality with a simple change of the desktop manager and a few tweaks. You can make a MacOS or anything from a Windows XP-Windows 10 like experience with KDE Plasma through Kwin or Wayland. Then you have tiling ones like i3 if you do a lot of terminal or coding work and want to have a bunch of text windows open at once without having to futz around too much with arranging them.

I'm not a super fan of Gnome's whole desktop metaphor, the placement of the dock on the left side by default (though it can be moved with tweaks) just seems really weird and unintuitive. I do think their virtual desktop system does work better than most of the other desktop managers for making it easy to move windows between workflows though. The first time I tried Linux a few years ago with Ubuntu was with Gnome of course and I just bounced right off that back into Windows.

Then there is some really bloated stuff like latte dock which just crashes frequently and is kind of a resource hog. Not a big fan of it.

all this is actually bad

I want to use computer not endlessly tweak the UI. its paradox of choice poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gentle Autist posted:

I want to use computer not endlessly tweak the UI. its paradox of choice poo poo

generally you take the 5-10 minutes it takes to set your things correctly, and then not touch it again for 10+ years because homedirs are eternal

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
and then watch as all the software you try to use studiously ignores it and continues to look and feel like the default theming at the time it and/or the toolkit it uses was developed

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
X was a mistake

Sun should have contributed SunWindows to BSD back when they were considering contributing all of SunOS

they only wound up releasing RPC and NFS and NIS, rather than all of SunOS, oh how things would have been different…

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gentle Autist posted:

all this is actually bad

???
I mean you can just roll with the desktop manager your distro ships with. You don't have to do anything to it. Gnome especially isn't even that flexible for tweaking, so if your distro ships with that you do get a more locked down experience like you, personally, want.

You just have the option to tweak it however you want however.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hbag posted:

man
ive been teaching myself *nix poo poo for the past year or so and
is it to be expected that i sometimes google the pretty basic poo poo or is my brain quite literally a sieve

the holy trinity of Linux is —help, man, and Google

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

???
I mean you can just roll with the desktop manager your distro ships with. You don't have to do anything to it. Gnome especially isn't even that flexible for tweaking, so if your distro ships with that you do get a more locked down experience like you, personally, want.

You just have the option to tweak it however you want however.

yeah that's all well and good except that any time somebody suggests implementing some new system infrastructure that didn't exist in the 1980s you get a horde of beard-and-suspenderlords crying about how :qq: Linux is all about choice :qq: (for them, not for people who want out-of-the-box poo poo to work without having to do the exact same janitoring that anybody else would have to do in that situation)

for an example of this look at literally anything the Debian project tries to do. Debian sadly is not exactly a fringe distribution. Because it is very important that linux users have the choice to use a HURD or FreeBSD kernel, you see, much more important than it is for servers to be able to reliably supervise and terminate service processes.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah that's all well and good except that any time somebody suggests implementing some new system infrastructure that didn't exist in the 1980s you get a horde of beard-and-suspenderlords crying about how :qq: Linux is all about choice :qq: (for them, not for people who want out-of-the-box poo poo to work without having to do the exact same janitoring that anybody else would have to do in that situation)

for an example of this look at literally anything the Debian project tries to do. Debian sadly is not exactly a fringe distribution. Because it is very important that linux users have the choice to use a HURD or FreeBSD kernel, you see, much more important than it is for servers to be able to reliably supervise and terminate service processes.

the entire point of debian is to be a bulletproof, outdated piece of poo poo. thats its niche. Its like a step above slackware. if you want a rolling release that gives you all the instability of the bleeding edge foss community, maybe you could have run fedora and basked in your uptime going to poo poo because you just had to have the fotm alternative for some core system module.

there is literally nothing wrong with dbus. of all the issues you can have with linux's frankenstein "muh freedom of choice" system infrastructure, how is reliable process control one of them?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

why you think its dbus he talks about

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dont Touch ME posted:

If you want a rolling release that gives you all the instability of the bleeding edge foss community, maybe you could have run fedora and basked in your uptime going to poo poo because you just had to have the fotm alternative for some core system module.

I used Fedora from 22 to 33 without once encountering an issue other than Nvidia drivers (which I diched as soon as AMD drivers were shoved into the mainline kernel.)

I never once formatted either. What in the gently caress are you talking about? Fedora isn't a rolling release either. Perhaps you meant Arch?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Tankakern posted:

why you think its dbus he talks about

Because i assume hes not just talking about auto-restarting services when they die or emit an error, but his actual usecase is some hosed up complex communication between services and a handler.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I used Fedora from 22 to 33 without once encountering an issue other than Nvidia drivers (which I diched as soon as AMD drivers were shoved into the mainline kernel.)

I never once formatted either. What in the gently caress are you talking about? Fedora isn't a rolling release either. Perhaps you meant Arch?

Im just a dumbass who thinks rawhide is a rolling release. Fedora is great, ive been running it since 25 myself on my personal machines, but I wouldnt run it on a production server. In the same breath I wouldnt run debian or centos as a desktop os.

The thought of running something like arch or void in production is making me poo poo my pants lol. If somebody is struggling to manage processes out of the box in debian, it would be funny as gently caress to watch them try to wrangle that mess. "Yeah boss whole network is down, pacman hosed up the configs again~"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Dont Touch ME posted:

Because i assume hes not just talking about auto-restarting services when they die or emit an error, but his actual usecase is some hosed up complex communication between services and a handler.

Im just a dumbass who thinks rawhide is a rolling release. Fedora is great, ive been running it since 25 myself on my personal machines, but I wouldnt run it on a production server. In the same breath I wouldnt run debian or centos as a desktop os.

The thought of running something like arch or void in production is making me poo poo my pants lol. If somebody is struggling to manage processes out of the box in debian, it would be funny as gently caress to watch them try to wrangle that mess. "Yeah boss whole network is down, pacman hosed up the configs again~"

I'm trying to run an Arch based distro for my personal machine. Every day I get new and exiting ways that applications break or start core dumping.

I'll probably end up going to Fedora as well once this Manjaro install shits itself after a week of package updates as well.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Dont Touch ME posted:

in both of your posts you assume lots of weird things

why you think he uses rawhide

it's almost like you're trying to construct an argument out of thin air

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm trying to run an Arch based distro for my personal machine. Every day I get new and exiting ways that applications break or start core dumping.

I'll probably end up going to Fedora as well once this Manjaro install shits itself after a week of package updates as well.

Use Ubuntu LTS + ZFS if you want a boring but stable experience.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

System stability? That's bloat :nono:

I used Manjaro for like a month, about 5 years ago. It was okay, but I quickly swapped back to Xubuntu because I loving hated pacman. Later that year I hopped again to Fedora and never looked back. It's a good system, I do recommend it.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

debian in the streets, fedora in the sheets

“shouldnt admit you have a scat/diaper fetish” is an appropriate dunk here

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Share Bear posted:

“shouldnt admit you have a scat/diaper fetish” is an appropriate dunk here

is there something you want to tell us champ

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Share Bear posted:

shouldnt admit you have a scat/diaper fetish is an appropriate dunk here

It used to be:

CentOS in the street, Fedora in the sheets.

Then IBM hosed everything up.

Friendship ended with RedHat-based distros, now Debian-based distros are my new best friend.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Use Ubuntu LTS + ZFS if you want a boring but stable experience.

Really wish ZFS was more popular of a file system.

Dont Touch ME posted:

System stability? That's bloat :nono:

I used Manjaro for like a month, about 5 years ago. It was okay, but I quickly swapped back to Xubuntu because I loving hated pacman. Later that year I hopped again to Fedora and never looked back. It's a good system, I do recommend it.

I really like the IDEA of the repos Manjaro Pacman (and by extension Pacmac) supports.

1: Bleeding edge Arch, can be flipped on with a toggle in Pacmac. Defaults to off
2: "Beta Arch" that is a few days delayed to let critical system breaking bugs be found by other canaries first. Also defaulted to off but can be turned on.
3: Manjaro release that is delayed by a week or two but where the issues bugs found in 1 and 2 are found and fixed first.
4: AUR the regular Arch AUR with whatever the Trusted Users have voted to put up there. Also allows the automation of build processes for apps that don't have binaries for the git repos scripts that people have placed on there. I've basically not found an app yet that I've had to go outside of the AUR to do a git clone and git build of myself manually.
5: Flatpack support and integrating the results from the the Flatpack store into a Pacmac search.
6: Snap if you have to fall back to that, though this is an absolute last resort.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hbag posted:

is there something you want to tell us champ

:iiapa:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

dont use zfs

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

dont use zfs

ZFS is good.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

dont use zfs

mods?!?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it'll never be upstream and it has many dumb caveats, dont touch it with a ten foot pole

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

it'll never be upstream and it has many dumb caveats, don't touch it with a ten-foot pole

I've used it for almost a year now and it works fine?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

wow

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I've used it for almost a year now and it works fine?

I can't believe how your computer exploded after partitioning your drive in ZFS.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tankakern posted:

it'll never be upstream and it has many dumb caveats, dont touch it with a ten foot pole

It's not upstream because of licensing issues. What are the other caveats?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Never used ZFS with Linux, but it's worked excellently on FreeBSD. It will probably be moved upstream the moment the patents expire and a GPL reimplementation is ready.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

xtal posted:

It's not upstream because of licensing issues. What are the other caveats?

You're talking to the btrfs fan, so a filesystem being upstream is like, the single most important factor, nevermind anything else about data integrity, performance, or reliability.

(Or the open acknowledgement that it should never have been accepted upstream)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Dont Touch ME posted:

Never used ZFS with Linux, but it's worked excellently on FreeBSD. It will probably be moved upstream the moment the patents expire and a GPL reimplementation is ready.

Shouldn't the patent run out this year actually, at least in the USA? The initial closed source development was in 2001.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
random shot to see if anyone knows what the gently caress is causing this

I’m trying to reconfigure IP address on a security onion box. it has 4 interfaces, eth0 thru 3, with eth3 being my management interface that gets an ip

it’s current ip is 192.168.11.10 and I just need to change the subnet to .0.10

I’ve tried setting it in /etc/network/interfaces and via the SO setup. on reboot the system gets the correct ip for about a minute and then reverts to the .11.10 address. the interfaces file contains the correct ip but an ifconfig command reveals the wrong loving ip.

is there somewhere else I should try to stop it from reverting? this box doesn’t have internet, there is no dhcp server in the environment, etc.

phone posting because I threw my laptop out the window but I can go get it and post screenshots if necessary

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the fbi’s RAT really wants the network on your cp server configured in a certain way

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I’m trying to reconfigure IP address on a security onion box. it has 4 interfaces, eth0 thru 3, with eth3 being my management interface that gets an ip

I’ve tried setting it in /etc/network/interfaces and via the SO setup. on reboot the system gets the correct ip for about a minute and then reverts to the .11.10 address. the interfaces file contains the correct ip but an ifconfig command reveals the wrong loving ip.

is there somewhere else I should try to stop it from reverting? this box doesn’t have internet, there is no dhcp server in the environment, etc.

phone posting because I threw my laptop out the window but I can go get it and post screenshots if necessary

What distribution does onion run?

Do you have any other network configuration daemons like NetworkManager or netplan?

You may want to do some sanity checks. Are all the ethernet hardware IDs unique? Do those IDs appear in any configuration files?

Check /var files for clues as well.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

use systemd-networkd

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

Shouldn't the patent run out this year actually, at least in the USA? The initial closed source development was in 2001.

this is the first id ever heard that patent(s) is the issues, i thought the zfs code was licensed under the cddl which is not compatible with the gplv2 of the linux kernel so zfs cannot be upstreamed

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lysidas posted:

this is the first id ever heard that patent(s) is the issues, i thought the zfs code was licensed under the cddl which is not compatible with the gplv2 of the linux kernel so zfs cannot be upstreamed

Once the patents expire someone can make a GPL version of it that can be upstreamed. Arguably that's just btrfs?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lysidas posted:

When the patent expires than its license becomes irrelevant because there's no legal right to stop someone from using it.

Now I'm not a patent lawyer, so there may be later versions of ZFS that would still be under patent. But at least the earlier versions of ZFS would stop being protected and could be developed under a GPL license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

code:
line 17: wc -l < tmp.DUggRX0SNv5Ya9: syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator (error token is ".DUggRX0SNv5Ya9")
i am weeping and howling