Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I feel like Mutoh will be there as a long time GHC National Champ. Yes, that does mean he's going over Kenoh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Kendo Kashin bad

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

I feel like Mutoh will be there as a long time GHC National Champ. Yes, that does mean he's going over Kenoh

Oh god. Putting Mutoh over Go & Kenoh in close succession is designed to make me mad at NOSAWA.

Lily Catts posted:

Is Kendo Kashin bad

In 2005, ROH ran Best Of American Super Juniors Tournament in conjunction with New Japan. Field had Brian Kendrick, Bryan Danielson, Matt Sydal, James Gibson (aka Jamie Noble in WWE), Roderick Strong, Alex Shelley & Black Tiger (Rocky Romero) alongside Dragon Soldier B (Kendo Kashin). An amazing field of guys, & Kendo Kashin. With the way the draw was setup it was assumed Gibson (who'd win the ROH title a few months later) & Danielson or Romero would be in the final & that it'd rule. But at some point New Japan (specifically Simon Inoki) decided to have a guy who was working a comedy gimmick & is renowned for being really good when he can be arsed & not really being arsed very often. His semi-final with Gibson is heavily cut down on the DVD release of the show (which only happened when the match stunk) & the commentators (one of whom was Gabe Sapolsky, the booker of ROH) buried Dragon Soldier B.

To quote Meltzer: "The actual plan for the finals was Gibson versus the new Black Tiger, and with one or the other going over. During the last week, New Japan, which had booking power over the tournament, must have signed Kashin, and then changed their minds to put him over. There was a fight over it, with the feeling Kashin, who does a lazy comedy style most of the time, wouldn’t get over in ROH, plus the fans would be mad at anyone other than Gibson or Danielson winning most likely. In the end, Simon Inoki would not budge.”

As an undercard guy, or a body in Kongo multiman tags, Kashin is...fine. As far as Cagematch goes, this will be Kashin's 2nd singles wrestling match since 2018 so it's just "why?" (In 2020 he beat the great Fuminori Abe at a Real Japan show)

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Thauros posted:

who aside from mutoh has even been signed to all three trad major promotions at some point in their careers? the only other guy who comes to mind is kanemaru, and his new japan contract can't even be fully confirmed

KENTA

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

In 2005, ROH ran Best Of American Super Juniors Tournament in conjunction with New Japan. Field had Brian Kendrick, Bryan Danielson, Matt Sydal, James Gibson (aka Jamie Noble in WWE), Roderick Strong, Alex Shelley & Black Tiger (Rocky Romero) alongside Dragon Soldier B (Kendo Kashin). An amazing field of guys, & Kendo Kashin. With the way the draw was setup it was assumed Gibson (who'd win the ROH title a few months later) & Danielson or Romero would be in the final & that it'd rule. But at some point New Japan (specifically Simon Inoki) decided to have a guy who was working a comedy gimmick & is renowned for being really good when he can be arsed & not really being arsed very often. His semi-final with Gibson is heavily cut down on the DVD release of the show (which only happened when the match stunk) & the commentators (one of whom was Gabe Sapolsky, the booker of ROH) buried Dragon Soldier B.

To quote Meltzer: "The actual plan for the finals was Gibson versus the new Black Tiger, and with one or the other going over. During the last week, New Japan, which had booking power over the tournament, must have signed Kashin, and then changed their minds to put him over. There was a fight over it, with the feeling Kashin, who does a lazy comedy style most of the time, wouldn’t get over in ROH, plus the fans would be mad at anyone other than Gibson or Danielson winning most likely. In the end, Simon Inoki would not budge.”

As an undercard guy, or a body in Kongo multiman tags, Kashin is...fine. As far as Cagematch goes, this will be Kashin's 2nd singles wrestling match since 2018 so it's just "why?" (In 2020 he beat the great Fuminori Abe at a Real Japan show)

omg yikes, the Inokis are the worst

why is he even a challenger for the GHC National then, that is the question

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NOAH probably wants its young guys to get more of a name by beating Legends (not that Kashin is one). At least I hope so cause lol if Kashin wins or Muto gets a long reign

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Today I found out that the 25/11/2018 DDT show has not only Mao taking on Jun Kasai in a deathmatch, but Konosuke Takeshita Vs Maki Itoh one on one. As soon as I finish work and get home I'm going to watch it, that sounds neat as hell

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

SG Bamboo posted:

Today I found out that the 25/11/2018 DDT show has not only Mao taking on Jun Kasai in a deathmatch, but Konosuke Takeshita Vs Maki Itoh one on one. As soon as I finish work and get home I'm going to watch it, that sounds neat as hell

i would tamper your hopes a tiny bit as that is before maki itoh decided to become good at wrestling.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Then it'll be an complete carry job by Takeshita, he's talented enough to make it look good

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

that's true, he is obscenely good.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Could anyone recommend me some Kaito Kiyomiya matches? the GHC Heavyweight title match against Go last year turned me into an instant NOAH fan. I adored his N1 match against Mochizuki as well, and his N1 final match against Nakajima was great (even if he was pretty much doomed to lose), but he hasn't particularly stood out for me yet. I want to get hyped for his upcoming match with Mutoh!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lily Catts posted:

Could anyone recommend me some Kaito Kiyomiya matches? the GHC Heavyweight title match against Go last year turned me into an instant NOAH fan. I adored his N1 match against Mochizuki as well, and his N1 final match against Nakajima was great (even if he was pretty much doomed to lose), but he hasn't particularly stood out for me yet. I want to get hyped for his upcoming match with Mutoh!

The GHC match against Go Shiozaki from New Sunrise 2020 is very highly regarded. I'd also recommend finding one of his matches against Kenoh as the two of them have remarkable chemistry.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Back from watching that random DDT show, Mao/Kasai was a fun hardcore brawl with some nasty spots sprinkled in. I always forget just how young Mao is because he's real good, but he was only 21 when this match happened. It's ridiculous how talented some of these kids are. And ItohRespectArmy was right in that it was a pretty clear carry job with Itoh/Takeshita, but it was still real fun. Probably would have called it a HM if I saw it at the time, had me believing Itoh was going to pin Takeshita and become the Heavymetalweight champ a couple times. Plus Itoh took some absolutely brutal shots including the knockout knee, and i'm a sucker for that kind of thing. Certainly wasn't a wasted half hour to watch the two matches.

Enjoy the last minute of the match with me

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 16, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

If you've not seen it then Kasai vs Yoshitatsu in All Japan from the start of Jan is really good fun

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Lily Catts posted:

Kaito/Sugiura from 6/9/19 was my MOTY for 2019, well worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eby9RXk4dxk

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Takeshita owns in this match. Between this and the Yuni match around the same time, it's clear he's miscast as top babyface and shines as a jock bully heel

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Venomous posted:

Kaito/Sugiura from 6/9/19 was my MOTY for 2019, well worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eby9RXk4dxk

This owns, thank you.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
I've finally somewhat recovered from the NOAH Budokan main event. The show as a whole was really solid, with Harada/Yoshioka and the generations tag as the big highlights. I still think Muto winning was really dumb, even IF he drops it to Kiyomiya next month (IF is the big part here, as I have hard time believing Muto's ego can handle being a V0 champ). I feel Shiozaki deserved a better end to his hell of a reign that one of the worst frankensteiners in recorded wrestling history.

Anywho, Dragon Gate's upcoming shows have a couple of interesting matches. HYO vs Skywalker is a cool matchup between two guys from the 2016 class. DK/Okuda vs Ishida/SBK looks cool and the Triangle Gate Contender Tournament teams look really fun.

ps. thanks for the avatar, mystery person, I guess?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I have to admit, it was me. Will gladly buy you a new one after Muto drops the title.

Been on a 90s AJPW kick lately, watched a lot of Jumbo vs Tenryu matches. It's amazing how much they could get out of such simple moves.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So how do NOAH fans feel about Go having that reign and then dropping to Mutoh? I dunno nothin' about Mutoh or NOAH so I don't wanna just come at this with my American Wrestling Fan Brain of "Old man beat good champion?! AAARGH! BAD!" if this is actually fine.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Most people came to accept Mutoh was likely winning back when the match was announced in December. So it's not a surprise and I long since convinced myself it was fine.

Is it how I'd have ended NOAH's return to the Budokan after 8 years? No. But as long as Mutoh drops the title to Kaito it's fine and Go never lost to Kaito so easy title challenge there.

If Mutoh beats your ace and then quickly beats your next ace, despite walking like an 85 year old granny, that's when I start throwing things at NOSAWA

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Fine with Mutoh winning as a transitional champ between Go and Kaito. Wouldn't want to see him as long term.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The only thing is, they signed him to a 2 year deal, so what the hell is he gonna do when he drops the belt to Kaito next month if he does?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pylons posted:

The only thing is, they signed him to a 2 year deal, so what the hell is he gonna do when he drops the belt to Kaito next month if he does?

Cinematic Matches

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pylons posted:

Beat Kenoh.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
This sort of thing just feels desperate. Mutoh was barely passable as a titleholder in 2008/2009, but in 2021 it's a transparent ploy for attention.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I think CyberAgent has begun to demand more from their wrestling properties and they've turned to the easiest way of getting new pairs of eyes. Akiyama in DDT, Muto in Noah.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So, Kaito is the young star and the idea here is to have a legend put him over rather than have Go lose to him yet?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'd also guess they want Go to win their equivalent of the G1 since he's never won one of those in any of the three big japanese promotions.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MJeff posted:

So, Kaito is the young star and the idea here is to have a legend put him over rather than have Go lose to him yet?

It's not a bad move, it means that in their back pocket they have Go being able to say that Kaito didn't beat him for the title, and Kaito being able to say he beat Go in the N1. Once Go has taken some time off to heal up, you can make that the story of the summer.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I think they both decided independently to do it. I suspect this has been the plan in DDT since they got Jun in full time: he was immediately put in a feud with Takeshita that I assumed he'd lose to give a big scalp to him but instead Jun won, then won the D-Ou and now the Title and I suspect he'll give Takeshita his win back at some point. It also makes sense since DDT had planned for Omega to work Peter Pan 2020 (and I suspect beat Endo initially; who knows) and with that blown up they needed an alternative plan and there's no one better than Jun Akiyama: he's got credibility, he can still go and I think any possible title match they can do is a fresh match.

Dunno if Mutoh was the plan for NOAH for as long as the above: he'd been around NOAH all summer/autumn so it wasn't totally out of nowhere.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

Kaito already got his win back on Go in the N1 but still is 0-1 against Mutoh.

People can say it's desperation all they want but they still managed to draw a better house than the last NJPW Budokan show, even with the handicap of running during a State of Emergency and starting the show when most people were still at work.

Akiyama has mostly benefitted from taking the role Kenny Omega was supposed to have of coming in and beating Takeshita then Endo.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Japan as a whole has benefitted because Jun didn't go to WWE and sell AJPW.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

18/2/2021, Thursday

6pm JST/8pm AEDT/9am GMT/4am EST/1am PST

All Japan 2021 Excite Series
Shinkiba 1stRING, Tokyo
Match order TBA
Ryuki Honda vs Yoshitatsu
Abdullah Kobayashi vs Kento Miyahara
NEXTREAM (Atsuki Aoyagi, Rising HAYATO & Yuma Aoyagi) vs Black Mensore, Francesco Akira & Takao Omori
Dan Tamura vs Izanagi
Enfants Terribles (Hokuto Omori, Kuma Arashi & Shotaro Ashino) vs Jake Lee, Koji Iwamoto & TAJIRI
Evolution (Hikaru Sato & Suwama) vs Twin Towers (Kohei Sato & Shuji Ishikawa)
Live on AJPW TV

Looking forward to seeing Abby vs Kento.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Kaito already got his win back on Go in the N1 but still is 0-1 against Mutoh.

People can say it's desperation all they want but they still managed to draw a better house than the last NJPW Budokan show, even with the handicap of running during a State of Emergency and starting the show when most people were still at work.

Akiyama has mostly benefitted from taking the role Kenny Omega was supposed to have of coming in and beating Takeshita then Endo.

I still believe in Omega's promise to make the entire DDT locker room cry./

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I honestly didn't expect Mutoh to win, but I'm okay with it. I'm even okay with how he won, there was a story told there. Although personally I think Shiozaki should have dropped to Nakajima. (The Sugiura match was good though, even if it was indulgent)

It would be weird if Kaito loses as Mutoh buried him in the press release (I beat him before, he'll be an easy opponent)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

I still believe in Omega's promise to make the entire DDT locker room cry./

He's going to do it by big leaguing them and wrestling in NJPW instead though

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've now watched two Kaito Kiyomiya matches this week. The Sugiura match someone posted in this thread and then the title match where Go won. I'm extremely convinced.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

forkboy84 posted:

Most people came to accept Mutoh was likely winning back when the match was announced in December. So it's not a surprise and I long since convinced myself it was fine.

Is it how I'd have ended NOAH's return to the Budokan after 8 years? No. But as long as Mutoh drops the title to Kaito it's fine and Go never lost to Kaito so easy title challenge there.

If Mutoh beats your ace and then quickly beats your next ace, despite walking like an 85 year old granny, that's when I start throwing things at NOSAWA

Yeah, pretty much this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

I subbed to DDT universe at the start of January and I thought I got the free trial month but they’ve charged me twice in February. Is this normal?