Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Evangelion's dub benefited from the characters mouth's being constantly covered, which allowed ADV to take more liberty to make a natural localization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHNnL9hSEBU

behold, the gendo turn

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Seems about the same to me idgi

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
this is my first run through with adv dubs and i think misato called someone "vato"

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Horizon Burning posted:

this isn't even the best comparison. the best one is the one on twitter where it sounds like gendo says 'anita rose, so i sent for you'

In the dozen or so times I’ve watched the show, that’s the first time I’ve ever heard an Evangelion dub. Honestly the Netflix one ~sounds~ a helluva lot closer to the original (any scripting aside). The tone of the ADV dub sounds like an Americanized version or something. Really, really off.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

In the dozen or so times I’ve watched the show, that’s the first time I’ve ever heard an Evangelion dub. Honestly the Netflix one ~sounds~ a helluva lot closer to the original (any scripting aside). The tone of the ADV dub sounds like an Americanized version or something. Really, really off.
It feels like there's 2 schools of thought on dubs. You can westernize it to a certain degree that it works and plays off of itself in a unique way that is somewhat removed from the original. Or you can make it as "accurate" to the Japanese as possible and keep every -san and senpai.

As a translator myself the first one is fun and interesting and the second can go die in a fire. :v:

You can get away with a little bit of chaff on subtitles because they're inevitably linked to the original voice-overs, but dubs should be an independent unit.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 17, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I can see that. I guess what I meant to say is that tonally the voices sound more accurate to their Japanese counterparts. The Netflix Gendo sounds more like Fumihiko Tachiki in delivery than the ADV Gendo, who sounds like... man, I don’t know. Someone with a different temperament and personality.

vvv yeah, that’s it. The original voice actor sounds like this imposing, soulless monster. Whoever is voicing him in the ADV dub sounds like a regular pissy father.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 18, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
adv gendo sounds like your frustrated father which is why it owns. he sounds so normal. meanwhile, the Netflix dub makes him sound like he should be some evil sorcerer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The 'Third Children' stuff absolutely drives me up the wall with the new dub because it sounds so awkward in English

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Third Children is fine for jargon you read.

I am not saying it out loud.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I know the song that plays when Unit 01 chows down is the traditional end-of-school graduation song, is there a similar cultural moment tied to the song Mari hums at the start of 3.0? This song:

RillAkBea posted:

I'm totally in it for the Mari singalong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kFiGL5EM4

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL2nJqkTqjE

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Honestly what I noted most between the two hearing them so close together is that you can hear that the ADV one had a budget of about ten dollars and a pack of gum. Like I imagine the booths and equipment and post-production stuff was all much nicer for the newer dub and that’s without accounting for the 20-something year gap because 2019 Netflix has a hell of a lot more money than 1995-6 ADV.

But I still thing my original analysis holds. The ADV dub sounds more naturalistic, like they were trying to actually say what sounded good (that fit within the spaces and animated mouths they had to fill), where the Netflix dub sounds like dialogue and terminology that has been written for them and that’s what they have to say. But also the Netflix actors are better actors and probably had room to do more takes and play with their intonation even if they couldn’t adjust what they had to say. I think I would prefer the Netflix dub for the series if and when I watch it again, and I definitely don’t think finding a clear rip of the Blu-rays with the old dub is worth the effort for someone new to the series who wants a dub. Just let them know about the Kaworu/Shinji weirdness if they somehow don’t get the subtext in that episode.

I think that this distinction is probably made even wider considering that these are clips from the pilot, and I think the ADV actors had way more room to grow into their roles. Spike especially, he sounds like an adult trying to sound like a teenager through most of the series and so in the very first thing they produced and put out, it’s pretty rough. Now he’s played Shinji for 25 years and so he’s much more comfortable sounding (and also just more skilled). Honestly, despite what I just said about the old dub of the series not being worth finding, I hope no one ever gets a desire to redub the rebuilds because I think they’re the best of both worlds. It’s the difference that a decade or two of further experience and more funds makes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If Dragonball can get no less than a half dozen different english dub casts so can Eva!

Can't wait for the 4Kids dub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyIpijrLlcM
h o l o g r a p h i c m a p

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The United States posted:

h o l o g r a p h i c m a p
:chanpop:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DC Murderverse posted:

Honestly what I noted most between the two hearing them so close together is that you can hear that the ADV one had a budget of about ten dollars and a pack of gum. Like I imagine the booths and equipment and post-production stuff was all much nicer for the newer dub and that’s without accounting for the 20-something year gap because 2019 Netflix has a hell of a lot more money than 1995-6 ADV.

But I still thing my original analysis holds. The ADV dub sounds more naturalistic, like they were trying to actually say what sounded good (that fit within the spaces and animated mouths they had to fill), where the Netflix dub sounds like dialogue and terminology that has been written for them and that’s what they have to say. But also the Netflix actors are better actors and probably had room to do more takes and play with their intonation even if they couldn’t adjust what they had to say. I think I would prefer the Netflix dub for the series if and when I watch it again, and I definitely don’t think finding a clear rip of the Blu-rays with the old dub is worth the effort for someone new to the series who wants a dub. Just let them know about the Kaworu/Shinji weirdness if they somehow don’t get the subtext in that episode.

I think that this distinction is probably made even wider considering that these are clips from the pilot, and I think the ADV actors had way more room to grow into their roles. Spike especially, he sounds like an adult trying to sound like a teenager through most of the series and so in the very first thing they produced and put out, it’s pretty rough. Now he’s played Shinji for 25 years and so he’s much more comfortable sounding (and also just more skilled). Honestly, despite what I just said about the old dub of the series not being worth finding, I hope no one ever gets a desire to redub the rebuilds because I think they’re the best of both worlds. It’s the difference that a decade or two of further experience and more funds makes.
consider the following: subs not dubs

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

TenementFunster posted:

consider the following: subs not dubs

.... nah

Funi movie dub cast or bust

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

DC Murderverse posted:

But also the Netflix actors are better actors and probably had room to do more takes and play with their intonation even if they couldn’t adjust what they had to say.

See, I get the absolute opposite impression. The Netflix dub gives me the distinct feeling that the VA director didn't give very good direction and the actors didn't get the opportunity to do more than one or two takes. There's just so many lines where the delivery is off and doesn't match the visuals. A character is obviously shouting or yelling or whatever but the dub is calm, stuff like that.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I don't know as much about NGE as the average poster here, but just from hearing that first comparison on the boats, the new dub sounds a lot less annoying and with more natural sounding characters.

holo
graphic map

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just finished ep24 of the original dub. It's grown on me. The netflix VAs sound more like real people the whole series, but I think in the back half of the series the original VAs really start nailing it. When poo poo absolutely starts going sideways the netflix VAs still sound way too calm and composed.

There's a scene that plays great in the ADV dub - when Shinji is in the bed after Rei dies and misato propositions him, she sounds like she can barely hold it together. Even in the original japanese audio the tone of that comes across when she says she's sorry. But in the netflix dub it is an absolutely calm, monotone "I'm sorry". Maybe some of the ADV dub was generous interpretation, but it just works. Same thing when Ritsuko is doing her monologue at the Rei tank. Netflix is basically just her laying out the facts about Evas and Rei. In the ADV dub she has lines where the tone hints at realizing the arrogance of trying to play god. There's some really good direction in the original dub, I'm glad I found a way to watch it.

One thing that I've been loving on second viewing is the music. poo poo's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ2EwbUgxFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezchZHJieZQ

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Pierson posted:

I know the song that plays when Unit 01 chows down is the traditional end-of-school graduation song, is there a similar cultural moment tied to the song Mari hums at the start of 3.0? This song:

dunno about cultural stuff i think its just supposed to be kind of a nice old timey sounding song about finding happiness through punching and she does go punch an angel twice. and this part sounds a bit like the "thrice upon a time" title of the new movie.

also that evageeks post earlier about lilith's legs reminded me that most of maris outfits like to visually separate the legs.

her first suit has some weird bolts on the hips, and the helmet comes off in a similar way to lilith's mask falling off after rei tells off gendo and becomes a large human.

will be cool to see what goes down in the last one, with how dense these things are if it's as long as that tweet says its going to be exhausting to watch through all at once. hopefully theres some nice calm scenes after how stressful everything was in 3.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope Mari has been a robot the whole time and like...nobody bothered to check

It's an absolutely stupid idea that should still be on the table, imo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Mari is a totally normal human, but she's animated by the soul of Jet Alone

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

I hope Mari has been a robot the whole time and like...nobody bothered to check

It's an absolutely stupid idea that should still be on the table, imo

"Mari" is an empty shell temporal composite character. In every new time loop a previously existing Eva character becomes that loop's Mari. The current loop's Mari is, uh

This guy. The one with the glasses.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mari is a totally normal human, but she's animated by the soul of Jet Alone

I want nothing more than the franchise to end with Jet Alone just showing up to slap the evas down and no one can do anything to stop it because it doesn't have a soul.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 19, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Eva 01 absolutely nailing that muscleman pose

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

the back of this helmet looks like the nerv hq pyramid

scene after she meets shinji, kaji teaches him how to grow melons

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

I never appreciated that they put the series' two most ridiculously hooknosed characters right next to each other.

Incidentally, I just finished up a rewatch of the original series and had 100% forgotten that Kaworu is only in one episode. His brief presence makes his arc seem incredibly rushed, but on the other hand it does put into sharp relief just how pathetic and starved for affection Shinji is. One "I love you" from Kaworu and it's like they've been friends for years.

Barry Bluejeans fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 19, 2021

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

the council guys are all from different countries, that's russia and france. moustache guy is "america" and big chin man is "english." lorenz is germany and gendo is japan

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

And in the Rebuilds they're all aliens.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

beaurocrats but same thing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

the council guys are all from different countries, that's russia and france. moustache guy is "america" and big chin man is "english." lorenz is germany and gendo is japan

would be rad if they each had their own Shinji

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
International dog show but its shinjis.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

pocket shinjis, coming to iOS and Android next Spring

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

every country gets their shinji together for a g-gundam style eva tournament, they all just become friends and dont get in their robots

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Nothing beats Shinji's Japanese actor screaming. It's bone-chilling.

I admit, this is one of the biggest reasons I kept to the sub when watching it for the first time back in the day. Love that scream.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Just thinking of an International Shinji Ikari Raising Project Tournament now.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can someone make a photoshop of Shinji with the mug looking serious standing on a table with a dog show judge and handler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Evangelion but it's Best In Show with Fred Willard as Fuyutsuki.