Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

signing an email is the same as signing a post.

the email program tells you who sent it. the chain of nested quotes in the reply tells you who originally wrote what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/juliarburnham/status/1159901209378951168?s=20

Ciao,

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Chaotic Evil is 'Looking forward to your response'

Bad Purchase posted:

the email program tells you who sent it. the chain of nested quotes in the reply tells you who originally wrote what.

K thx

Outrail Outrailington BSc BS
Regional VP of Shitposts
+1 666 420 6969
Outrail@dildonicsUSA.org

Please consider the environment before printing this email

"Bad Purchase" post="512598961"

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

In all enthusiasm,

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Neutral evil it is then, I could've done worse

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Lol at signing off with "warmly".

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Lol at signing off with "warmly".
I only got that once.
To their credit, they were a radiant heating equipment manufacturer...

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

To all,

This morning the bathroom on the 2nd floor flooded and all staff is advised to relocate to another building or work remotely, as a health hazard has been declared. It will take a few days for cleanup and sanitation due to sewage backup.

Warmly,
Department Management

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Thread,

I'm either Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil, depending on if I'm asking for something or not.

Neat.

Regards,

Zarin

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

teen witch posted:

If there’s one thing I do like about my job, and from what I can see from working in Sweden as a whole, is that absolutely no one gives a poo poo as to how you dress, within reason. My usual work hoodie is uh, the album cover of Mayhem’s first album on the back, and I’ve had zero issue. I don’t need to cover up my tattoos, and seeing that friends with face tattoos are not only employed but can live and support a family, it’s really loving nice.

I also, thankfully, have never had issue with my hair, no matter what style. That was a HUGE fear of mine looking for jobs here.

Push the limit and get a hoodie with *that* Mayhem album cover on it and see if anyone says anything

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

We have a branch in Hawaii so I got to this exchange today

"Hi FUGH, should these be going to my sales coordinator or the whole department?"

Mahalo,
Sean ______
"

so I sent him a very, very basic email:

"Hi Sean

The person you want to get in contact with about email services is ____________ in IT. He should be able to help you out.

Mahalo,
AHH F/UGH
"

I wonder if he noticed

edit: Also a guy at another branch uses this background, straight out of Windows 3.1:

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 18, 2021

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
My manager tried to deactivate the fire alarm when there was an active fire in the building.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

My manager tried to deactivate the fire alarm when there was an active fire in the building.

This is the good poo poo right here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This tracks, I suppose I am lawful neutral...

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Had a new hire quit after a month because he was "tired of asking for permission" to get access to our sensitive data.

My boss hired him from a competitor's business and it turns out he's going back to work for them lol

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Tetramin posted:

I’m a network admin and my work hired a new one so I wasn’t the only one, and I hate him for a lot of reasons.

[...]

Did your work like run this guy/his resume by you or let you meet him before they hired him? Or was it just “here is your new colleague have fun”?

This happened at my old job - new guy added to team, which was not consulted about having this new guy added to it or introduced to said new guy before he started and he ended up being a hot-headed prick. Long story short I no longer work there.

A former colleague of mine signed emails with ciao but he was literally Italian.

I guess I am lawful neutral.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Queen Victorian posted:

Did your work like run this guy/his resume by you or let you meet him before they hired him? Or was it just “here is your new colleague have fun”?

This happened at my old job - new guy added to team, which was not consulted about having this new guy added to it or introduced to said new guy before he started and he ended up being a hot-headed prick. Long story short I no longer work there.

Places do this?

I mean, every job I've ever had, I meet the hiring manager, but I only ever meet the rest of the team after it's a done deal.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Tetramin posted:

I’m a network admin and my work hired a new one so I wasn’t the only one, and I hate him for a lot of reasons.

This post above is one of them.

All of our IT runs out of our corporate HQ with a gig fiber circuit. One of our client device people opened a ticket because his computer disconnected from wifi just to make sure there weren’t any problems, the issue happened once that day and never again.

The new guy who is more of a Cisco phone guy, almost no “networking” knowledge declares himself bandwidth cop and spent the entire week all of his time staring at the bandwidth usage at this location. He would @everybody in the group chat asking what this 20mb/s of traffic was and how we need to fix this non existent problem.

He then went ahead and limited each device to 5mb/s tops(on a gig circuit which we never came close to maxing out) without telling anybody, so the client device guy goes to start imaging like 5 computers, and idiot new guy put that 5mb/s cap on all traffic including local traffic and not just the traffic that leaves the building which made those PCs take Like 14 hours to install windows from their local deployment server and absolutely REFUSED to admit that he had screwed up and that local traffic was the cause of “all of our problems”.

I ended up just undoing all of his poo poo, but he has now spent the last 3 total weeks bandwidth copping every single one of our 200ish circuits, just randomly staring at traffic meters for no reason.

Like I absolutely do not mind someone not having much networking knowledge, hell I’m happy to dump our phone related projects on him and to help him learn. But he is determined to be a prodigy genius network janitor and is extremely forceful about being wrong at all times and refuses to listen.

Sorry for the boring story but I can’t stand this guy and the quoted post made me think all about it again.

tell that guy i said he's a loving idiot

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Zarin posted:

Places do this?

I mean, every job I've ever had, I meet the hiring manager, but I only ever meet the rest of the team after it's a done deal.

Eh, my perception is probably distorted because I’ve only worked at small companies. Previous job was like a 12-person company so poisoning the entire work environment with one lovely person was extremely easy to do, but also easy to prevent if you minimally involve a couple extra team members to screen for shittiness (which they didn’t do, of course). My new company is similarly small and much better at involving all relevant people in hiring and the result is a much more harmonious team with no assholes.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fried Watermelon posted:

Had a new hire quit after a month because he was "tired of asking for permission" to get access to our sensitive data.

My boss hired him from a competitor's business and it turns out he's going back to work for them lol

Ooh! New hire made me remember a funny one from helljob.

One day in 2009 or 2010 I want to say, this new guy shows up. Turns out that the director, my boss, hired him unilaterally, didn't run him through any normal process, just "hey want a job?" He turned out to be the son of one of the director's friends, I think. Some nepotism bullshit like that.

Anyhow, he comes up to me on his second or third day, and enthusiastically tells me "Hey, I'm going to convert your SVN repositories to Git!"

I stared at him for a minute and said "The gently caress you are, what are you talking about? There is absolutely no way you are doing that"

He looked absolutely crushed. I proceeded to explain to him that we had business critical code in there, absolutely no one knew how to use Git - I was the first person to implement source control at that company of any kind, and that is an entirely different post for a later time, but I used SVN because I knew it really well. All of my guys were trained on it, multiple other teams were too, and we had tools / processes built around it. Perhaps SVN wasn't perfect, but it was working great for us, and if we changed to Git, which I honestly didn't think was a bad idea, we would need to plan that out and do it right. He looked like I just ran over his puppy, and sulked off.

Thank god he didn't last.

e. For non computer touchers, SVN and Git are source code repository / management systems. SVN is much older and more simple in its operation, Git is a bit more modern and does offer a lot of really nice features, but just... changing them is not a trivial thing

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Queen Victorian posted:

Eh, my perception is probably distorted because I’ve only worked at small companies. Previous job was like a 12-person company so poisoning the entire work environment with one lovely person was extremely easy to do, but also easy to prevent if you minimally involve a couple extra team members to screen for shittiness (which they didn’t do, of course). My new company is similarly small and much better at involving all relevant people in hiring and the result is a much more harmonious team with no assholes.

That's actually really cool!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

reading this thread makes me feel really blessed that almost every time a corporate policy is dragging me down, within a quarter our company has been bought out or merged or reorganized so heavily that i don't have to deal with it or any of the fallout at all

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Queen Victorian posted:

God I wish we did this. There's "only room in the budget" for one person to work with me (plenty of room to boost C level salaries and hire dozens of outsourced workers though), and by god I wish I was taken seriously so that one spot wasn't wasted on someone who just sits and watches TV shows on their phone and can't even pull minimum weight. I'm not gonna say I don't gently caress around but christ, maybe one day a month I don't hit metrics (remind me to come back to that) with extenuating circumstances, but I can't think of the last time they hit any of them.

Then again, abusing anti discrimination law to allow them to keep coasting, so... minefield now. Should have just let me help vet the person who would be working with me and nobody else.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Do you ever go on LinkedIn and see some dumbass you worked with in the past, only now their title is “Senior Lead Enterprise Architect of BigCo, working on the project SuperImportantInfrastructure” :whitewater: hope they got better

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

gently caress I just remembered that I got any email like a week ago that the sign off was Love.

It weirded me the gently caress out.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Speaking of email signatures, I was supposed to interview some chick back in November (she freaked out when I emailed her to confirm and accused me of being a scammer).

After insulting me, she signed off with "enjoy the balance of your day." Bitch, how?! You unbalanced the poo poo out of it!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Do you ever go on LinkedIn and see some dumbass you worked with in the past, only now their title is “Senior Lead Enterprise Architect of BigCo, working on the project SuperImportantInfrastructure” :whitewater: hope they got better

All the time except I got into my industry because nobody dies if I gently caress things up so its more like "hooooboy good luck with that poo poo".

Related: My first boss would lock herself in her office somedays just to cry for a solid 8 hours then go home. The rest of the time she alternate from raw fury and "unexpectedly serene" and Im not sure I ever saw her like, complete a project. A coworker quit because they were underpaid and working with her was hellacious.

Said coworkers new company mentions their looking to hire her and coworker is like "please don't she is horrible to work with and whatever sanity she can string through an interview is a facade." So of course they ignore this input and hire her. Sure enough, within like two weeks shes already spent multiple days openly weeping at the office since she no longer has a private office and one screaming bloody murder at the parking lot attendant.

By the time they get her on a PiP and tell my coworker they were right my coworker was already serving their notice as the new company had promised in writing they would never force them to report to this woman they didn't even employ on penalty of several thousand dollars

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

failing upward is a hell of a thing to see in action but it's actually more common than not because management types are really easy to fool if youre at all cunning and dont care about anyone else but yourself

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I imagine a big reason that most companies don't frequently include future co-workers in the hiring process is that it just creates a source of potential tension and introduces bias into the selection process. Not saying there's none of either of those things already, but asking people their preferred hire and then hiring someone else just makes people mad. Likewise, some engineers or whatnot may 'mysteriously' disapprove of a large number of female candidates and so on.

People prefer other like-minded people with similar opinions, skillsets and more. I for one would definitely prefer to hire somebody I got along with well if my input was asked for, and I would rather that than have somebody marginally more qualified who is loving horrible. And 'theoretically' hiring is supposed to be based on merit etcetc.

I don't doubt that if co-workers had full authority over hires in their own field, they'd probably get better technical outcomes (although it's half a job in itself to deal with those processes), but stuff like hitting diversity targets would be a complete pipe-dream.

Best system I ever saw had HR cull the field down to a shortlist where they anonymised statements and qualifications for each and asked team members in the relevant to vote for their preference (also anonymously), but honestly that sort of stuff only really flies in small/medium companies.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Remembering my old job where, anytime we got busy and tried to explain why goals would need be be looked at/re-prioritizrd, the head of the office would tell HR to put up an ad up for a temp worker. They would find someone and tell us that we were having this new person join our team for a few months to help with workload. But we would only find that out a day or two before the new person started and then have to scramble to prepare for them and train them, on top of the already-mentioned busy days that we had with work.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Jeza posted:

Likewise, some engineers or whatnot may 'mysteriously' disapprove of a large number of female candidates and so on.

Ugh gently caress this just reminded me of the worst interviews I’ve ever been in. One of the people on the panel with me was this boomer-age guy who, for some reason, claimed not to be able to understand any of the ESL candidates who came in. He went through their CVs complaining they were incomprehensible because they’d missed the word “the” in a sentence or whatever. One candidate politely turned down our offer of water because she was fasting. Boomer-guy ignored her and poured out water. Again, she turned it down. Again, he ignores her and puts the water in front of her. I’m cringing but I try to get the interview started. Halfway through, boomer interrupts the candidate to slowly, silently, agonisingly lean all the way over the table and push the glass of water towards her as we all stare at him and I die internally.

Boomer-guy kept vetoing our hiring decisions and I had to have an awkward chat with the big boss later to explain it was because he’s just racist as hell and making us look bad.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

On a product tech forum I frequent for work there's an older hippy guy (judging by his av) who signs his messages with TTFN. I wonder if he uses that in his company emails and it makes me cringe a bit.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

pooch516 posted:

Remembering my old job where, anytime we got busy and tried to explain why goals would need be be looked at/re-prioritizrd, the head of the office would tell HR to put up an ad up for a temp worker. They would find someone and tell us that we were having this new person join our team for a few months to help with workload. But we would only find that out a day or two before the new person started and then have to scramble to prepare for them and train them, on top of the already-mentioned busy days that we had with work.

this is essentially the go to play for incompetent business units the whole world over

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

By the time they get her on a PiP and tell my coworker they were right my coworker was already serving their notice as the new company had promised in writing they would never force them to report to this woman they didn't even employ on penalty of several thousand dollars

Hold up. They got that in writing?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Zarin posted:

That's actually really cool!

SkyeAuroline posted:

God I wish we did this. There's "only room in the budget" for one person to work with me (plenty of room to boost C level salaries and hire dozens of outsourced workers though), and by god I wish I was taken seriously so that one spot wasn't wasted on someone who just sits and watches TV shows on their phone and can't even pull minimum weight. I'm not gonna say I don't gently caress around but christ, maybe one day a month I don't hit metrics (remind me to come back to that) with extenuating circumstances, but I can't think of the last time they hit any of them.

Then again, abusing anti discrimination law to allow them to keep coasting, so... minefield now. Should have just let me help vet the person who would be working with me and nobody else.

It was the bad experience at my previous job that made me push really hard for wider participation in hiring, mainly for behavioral screening. Being in tech, we mostly watch for brilliant rear end in a top hat complex and sexist behavior, and having a variety of observers at different stages makes it easier to pick up on red flags or weird vibes.

This sort of inclusive process takes a lot of collective man-hours, but so far it’s worked out really well and has definitely been worth it. Way better to spend a few extra hours of people’s time up front making a good hire than to cheap out and end up with someone toxic who tanks productivity and morale.

I get that more future coworker involvement in hiring can become a slippery slope to discrimination and “culture fit” profiling gone awry, but we already have a pretty diverse group and tend to be attracted to a diverse range of potential hires, and our MO is mainly to weed out creeps and jerks, not necessarily to find the most like-minded individual.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The last place I worked for and my current place both involve the team members in the hiring process. Whoever is going to be working with the potential new hire is asked to participate and sit in on the interviews. The first place - private company - had us all vote on the potential new hire, mostly to sort out that we'd all get along?

My current place is a government contractor of sorts. We still participate in interviews, ask questions, etc. The team members are considered to be very good in their respective fields, so who better to interview a potential new hire on very specific technical topics. After the interview, we submit a standardized candidate eval form. We have input on the decision, but not final authority.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

man i wish we had any input on hires

it was probably a decade ago but i still remember this guy who was hired to fill an important technical role on a critical project, straight out of mcdonalds. the dude honestly thought he was being hired for a managerial position at first. wore a black trenchcoat all the time, had long gross unwashed hair, and operated his smartphone with his disgustingly greasy nose because he wore leather gloves all the fuckin' time in 60 degree weather. had no idea how any of our projects worked, had a vague understanding of most technical things but thought he was the biggest goddamn genius around, openly talked about his multi TB anime collection but was quick to assure coworkers - completely unprompted - that he didn't like hentai

he lasted months until finally our client talked to management and was like "what the gently caress is up with this weird loser? he sucks and smells bad and seems to be making the entire project take longer."

...and then there was gary. on the first day i met gary, when he introduced himself, he mentioned that he used to draw pornography of fantasy poo poo and called it the Dragonriders of Porn, super clever huh. gary would go to the hotel gym while we were on project and walk on a treadmill for hours wearing a big chainmail shirt that must have taken up most of his luggage. gary was weird and offputting to everyone he met immediately and i don't understand how he managed to get through our interview process at all.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Jeza posted:

I imagine a big reason that most companies don't frequently include future co-workers in the hiring process is that it just creates a source of potential tension and introduces bias into the selection process. Not saying there's none of either of those things already, but asking people their preferred hire and then hiring someone else just makes people mad. Likewise, some engineers or whatnot may 'mysteriously' disapprove of a large number of female candidates and so on.
I got to see this in action at my current job. It is a normal part of the hiring process that the candidate meets with senior members of the team so they can weigh in. My team is all women...the one time my boss hired a dude she elected not to have him meet the team first and everyone threw an absolute shitfit. He only lasted a year :( I actually liked him and we were friendly but everyone else treated him with thinly veiled contempt.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Make me train people they know they're going to fire because my patience while training people is... significant, especially compared to most people that have been working there for 20+ years and have lost perspective.

I mean, I know when that person is getting terminated and why they can't work there anymore at that point because I've been balls-deep in it more than anyone, but now we're friends with each other because we only work together, and it stings on a personal level; regardless of my feelings about the quality of their work.

Just put them with the mean old bitch that's going to yell at them until they stop loving up or quit, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

Hold up. They got that in writing?

According to them yes, but admittedly I've never seen it. They went to a small start up that was like 3 people when they joined so it didn't seem impossible to me.