Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

They probably didn’t give a poo poo and that’s a prop from another show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Ruby on the side probably plays better than one on the top of the hilt, but also like it's not going to be a 100% book to film adaption so things are going to be different. As long as it's compelling and well acted and actually follows the important parts of the story I'll be happy.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ruby on the side probably plays better than one on the top of the hilt, but also like it's not going to be a 100% book to film adaption so things are going to be different. As long as it's compelling and well acted and actually follows the important parts of the story I'll be happy.

To me it looks like a chocolate candy with a gold wrapper, and the ruby is to show it's strawberry flavored or something. It's a small thing, but it has some story importance so I'd think someone would have said that it looks a bit off. Hopefully it looks better in the show itself.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
As long as we're agreed that there's no way they would've used the chapter icon version of the dagger...

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
So uh... where's the sheath? And why's it in a box? Boxes aren't sheaths!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

bio347 posted:

So uh... where's the sheath? And why's it in a box? Boxes aren't sheaths!

Could be a case of story condensation? The dagger spent a long time in the chest with the Horn of Valere. And I don't remember, was it in a box in Shadar Logoth or did Mordeth just fetch it from the ground or something?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Neither, Mat just found it somewhere

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah in the books Mordeth shows them a big old pile of treasure and Mat discreetly picks up the dagger right before Rand realizes poo poo is really sketchy and they book it.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Just in case anyone is curious, the description of the ruby-hilted dagger from Shadar Logoth, from when Rand first sees it in EotW:

Flight Down the Arinelle posted:

A curved dagger with a gold scabbard worked in strange symbols. Fine gold wire wrapped the hilt, which was capped by a ruby as big as Rand's thumbnail, and the quillons were golden-scaled serpents baring their fangs.

I guess the ruby is about the right size, and it's probably where it is because it's easier to see while being wielded, but it just feels wrong for an object whose primary descriptor in the books is "ruby-hilted" to be... not.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Now I wonder what the strange symbols were. Probably a dropped plot point.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I was always under the impression that the dagger wasn't anything special other than just being an object from Shadar Logoth and that anything he picked up there would have had similar effects.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pretty much.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Moiraine warns that even taking a rock from Shadar Logoth would corrupt a person.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Some people are unhappy about the dagger! I think if this show sucks, it won't be because the dagger looks slightly different. Just tell yourself it's a retelling, and as it is a recent retelling most of it is the same ,with minor differences. After a few more turnings of the wheel, it might be Natrim finding a silver bow, who uses it to shoot out the eye of the dark one.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
They seemed kinda aghast that he took a weapon, of all things. I'm just wondering what those symbols would mean. It was an old city, so maybe it actually is much older than the city itself?

They also cleansed him by just throwing a huge amount of saidar at it. They never mentioned what weave they used.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I'm not going to pillory the show just because the dagger looks different but it's just a weird thing due to how often that danger is described and how prominent of a role it plays.

As long as they get the story right then whatever, i chalk it up to variances in the turning of the wheel.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

They seemed kinda aghast that he took a weapon, of all things. I'm just wondering what those symbols would mean. It was an old city, so maybe it actually is much older than the city itself?

They also cleansed him by just throwing a huge amount of saidar at it. They never mentioned what weave they used.

Shadar Logoth is something new to the cycle, right? Or at least the eventual evolution of what it becomes in Fain is unique. One of those things that we never really get a full explanation for but suggests a much broader range of possibilities or forces at work.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I like to think of it like they had to use a Power sprayer at full blast to scour the SL taint out of all of his physical and metaphysical nooks and crannies. Not complex weaves, just fine control over a poo poo load of Saidar so that it cleaned him up without taking off the metaphorical paint. But RJ was good about leaving this kind of poo poo to your imagination, so who knows.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

Shadar Logoth is something new to the cycle, right? Or at least the eventual evolution of what it becomes in Fain is unique. One of those things that we never really get a full explanation for but suggests a much broader range of possibilities or forces at work.

My recollection is that what Mashadar is, or what it came from, is something that is ancient, but what Padan Fain becomes, is uniquely new.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's never really explained where Mordeth came from originally. Fain then becomes something "new" but that could just mean "new to this Age" not "new to the Wheel"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's never really explained where Mordeth came from originally. Fain then becomes something "new" but that could just mean "new to this Age" not "new to the Wheel"

It's also odd that the two taints mix in him and he becomes something new, while the same taint is used to cleanse saidin

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's also odd that the two taints mix in him and he becomes something new, while the same taint is used to cleanse saidin

I understand that the cleansing worked because of the sheer quantities of the competing forces together reaching a point of instability and collapsing without a vessel that could contain it, in the same way extremely high energies can cause physics to get weird. But it's definitely weird!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Gotta clean your taint out sometimes.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

I'm not going to pillory the show just because the dagger looks different but it's just a weird thing due to how often that danger is described and how prominent of a role it plays.

As long as they get the story right then whatever, i chalk it up to variances in the turning of the wheel.

You can look at the Children of the Light as a sort of new Shadar Logoth, at least one in the early stages. An entity concerning itself with the victory of the light in such extreme ways that it corrupts.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Gotta clean your taint out sometimes.

Speaking of, do we think they are really going to call it the Taint? Maybe something a little less associated with the rear end and ball region. The Corruption? The Fouling? Shai'tan shat in the punchbowl?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

shai'tan cooties

also some of y'all are going to have an elevated blood pressure in response to what we're inevitably going to learn about the show if the minor changes to the dagger are enough to make you worry. it's just what happens in the adaptation to tv, for one reason or another.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Rand was inspired by the stain of Shaitan fighting with the taint of Mashadar in the wound in his side. The two evils were not allies but fought each other, making it easier to endure than one or the other alone.

In Fain, the influence of Mashadar ripped away the control of the Shadow over him allowing him to become something free of its direct influence

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
R: Nynaeve, I know what I have to do, but I'm going to need your help
N: Of course, anything! What's your plan?
R: I'm going to cleanse the punchbowl.
N: YOU MUST BE MAD!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

Rand was inspired by the stain of Shaitan fighting with the taint of Mashadar in the wound in his side. The two evils were not allies but fought each other, making it easier to endure than one or the other alone.

In Fain, the influence of Mashadar ripped away the control of the Shadow over him allowing him to become something free of its direct influence

it's a classic

scenario

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Johnny Joestar posted:

also some of y'all are going to have an elevated blood pressure in response to what we're inevitably going to learn about the show if the minor changes to the dagger are enough to make you worry. it's just what happens in the adaptation to tv, for one reason or another.

Yeah, I'm trying to go in very open minded. TV as a medium just works differently than books. There will be big changes necessary just because of that. Internal monologues, and especially Rand's internal dialogues are a big part of the series, and even if you try to convey them on screen, it won't work like it does in a book.

"They will pay", Lews Therin growled. "I am the Lord of the Morning".

How do you do that line justice on TV?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to go in very open minded. TV as a medium just works differently than books. There will be big changes necessary just because of that. Internal monologues, and especially Rand's internal dialogues are a big part of the series, and even if you try to convey them on screen, it won't work like it does in a book.

"They will pay", Lews Therin growled. "I am the Lord of the Morning".

How do you do that line justice on TV?

There's got to be some sort of voiceover work done for Rand's/Lews' whole thing. I really can't see any way they can do that without having something like a voiceover or an actor onscreen that everyone else can't see or something. There is absolutely no way to convey that via Rand's actor just acting. Depending on how it's done it could come off as cheesy as hell, but I am willing to reserve judgement on this one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Soysaucebeast posted:

There's got to be some sort of voiceover work done for Rand's/Lews' whole thing. I really can't see any way they can do that without having something like a voiceover or an actor onscreen that everyone else can't see or something. There is absolutely no way to convey that via Rand's actor just acting. Depending on how it's done it could come off as cheesy as hell, but I am willing to reserve judgement on this one.

Yeah, they really do need a different voice actor for Lews Therin's lines, but one the other hand, it would reinforce the impression that he really is a "foreign" personality separate from Rand, when this is actually not the case. And as you said, it might come off as pretty cheesy. So perhaps they instead eliminate that aspect of the show? It might seem too difficult to do it justice, and with the show already necessarily abridging things to fit one book into 4 episodes, it simply might not make the cut. Which would of course be a shame in a way, since Rand's descent into madness is such a big part of the story, and leaving out the LTT personality would lessen the whole impact a bit. But it might just not be possibly to carry this aspect of Rand's character development on screen.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Legion did a really good job of displaying internal issues of mental health and psychic powers, I really hope the show cribs a few notes from how they portrayed such things with how they handle Rand.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Johnny Joestar posted:

It's not, like, stress so much as a kind of disappointment, a hope being dashed, because:

Mat Cauthon posted:

When I first heard about the TV adaptation, I didn't have high hopes at all, and settled on wishing for them to get the look of everything just right.

It's not even "them getting basic visual details wrong is an indicator of faithless adaptation" at all. It's just that accurate visuals were literally all I was hoping for.

Maybe the show'll be great! I hope it'll be great.

CainsDescendant posted:

Legion did a really good job of displaying internal issues of mental health and psychic powers, I really hope the show cribs a few notes from how they portrayed such things with how they handle Rand.
Seriously. Someone in this thread (you?) mentioned that they could take inspiration from Legion's fight scenes and the more I thought about it the more I decided Legion should serve as a major inspiration overall.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I would be down for some psychic dance numbers with Rand and Lews and The Devil.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I would be down for some psychic dance numbers with Rand and Lews and The Devil.

YES! The dance-off in early season 2 of Legion was loving amazing

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
The ear tugging and humming when looking at a lady was one Lews trait that manifested in Rand. Maybe other things like the way he stands, facial tics or something. Also using antiquated terms for things is a thing that happens, Spinning instead of Weaving and the like.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 18, 2021

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Soysaucebeast posted:

The voice acting role H. Jon Benjamin was born to play.

Honestly I have no idea what LTT should sound like. I always assumed he had sort of a regal bearing befitting a guy who was kind of a prideful dick but they could go in any direction with it really. Depends on if they want a big name actor to cameo in the inevitable flashback scene from the EotW prologue.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Vavrek posted:

Seriously. Someone in this thread (you?) mentioned that they could take inspiration from Legion's fight scenes and the more I thought about it the more I decided Legion should serve as a major inspiration overall.

Ha, it was me. Totally forgot I'd chipped in the same response to basically the same discussion earlier, lol. There's a wheel of time analogy in there, somewhere.

Still, that scene is 100% how the battle in the sky above Falme should look

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 18, 2021

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Honestly I have no idea what LTT should sound like.

On the one hand, I can see it him voiced as someone regal, composed, and dignified. Someone who sounds like a king.

On the other hand, Lews Therin could absolutely sound like a pompous, aristocratic buffoon. For that, I pick Matt Berry. Imagine continuously coming in second place to that. It's no wonder so many turned to the shadow just to spite him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He’s a discombobulated voice inside a crazy mans head. Of course it should be Gilbert Gottfried.