Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

on one hand, a [green/amber take your pick] on black terminal is easier on the eyes than white on black, but on the other hand i dont want to get laughed at for making my poo poo look like im trying too hard to be a L33T H@X0R

get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hbag posted:

on one hand, a [green/amber take your pick] on black terminal is easier on the eyes than white on black, but on the other hand i dont want to get laughed at for making my poo poo look like im trying too hard to be a L33T H@X0R

embrace the aesthetic if you like it

you don't need to drop it or adopt it to fit in. there are worse things to get laughed at

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I sent this pic of my office to a friend and all they could focus on was the yospos background like I am an elite hacker man and not just a Fuckin (virtual)computer janitor lmao
That's why I started disabling the yospos stylesheet. You wouldn't think that green text on a black background would be that noteworthy but :shrug:.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Silver Alicorn posted:

you know. just install a Linux and open vim or whatever for fun

yeah, okay. just seems like a bit of a limited hobby is all.

have fun out there, try not to sprain anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I sent this pic of my office to a friend and all they could focus on was the yospos background like I am an elite hacker man and not just a Fuckin (virtual)computer janitor lmao

i like your rug

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Linux people always seem to want to turn the OS package manager into an "app store" and it's fundamentally wrong-headed idea.

An "app store" for Flatpak applications is fine, sure, it's specifically designed for GUI applications.

Red Hat's Silverblue project has the right idea for how to build a distribution: there's a read-only root filesystem image that gets built from a pre-determined set of packages and is upgraded as a unit. There's a CLI tool for creating long-lived containers hosting whatever distros (plural) you want and you can install your CLI stuff in there. And there's Flatpak for installing GUI things, which all live in their own containers but they can share various base images amongst themselves.

The idea is great, unfortunately there's the little tiny problem that everybody involved with the GNOME Software project is completely useless and the Silverblue build of that poo poo has never worked ever. Just hangs and fails to start.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mystes posted:

That's why I started disabling the yospos stylesheet. You wouldn't think that green text on a black background would be that noteworthy but :shrug:.

you what

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

mystes posted:

That's why I started disabling the yospos stylesheet

ban this sick filth

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mystes posted:

That's why I started disabling the yospos stylesheet.

get out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

get out

you didn’t even commit in your other post, stfu

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

you didn’t even commit in your other post, stfu

i'll commit my boot to your rear end if you dont watch that tone buster

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:allears:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

hbag posted:

lurk more

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:justpost:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

ban this sick filth

wait are there non lynx or emacs/w3 users in this thread?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hbag posted:

this is why everyone assumes you're a rereg lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I'm not a re-reg im an ~*old soul*~

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I assumed they were new just because of their coding questions

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

What's wrong with DNF Dragora?

Disclosure: I'm an executive-level computer touching clown who likes the CLI, so I disabled it on my system. I have never used it ever and I legitimately don't know if it's any good.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I'm not a re-reg im an ~*old soul*~

yeah lmao who bought that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i am unsure how i can prove that im not a rereg

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hbag posted:

by not caring about it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

The idea is great, unfortunately there's the little tiny problem that everybody involved with the GNOME Software project is completely useless and the Silverblue build of that poo poo has never worked ever. Just hangs and fails to start.

at some point i had tried enabling the gnome built-in email/calendar accounts stuff against the work gapps account, what a mistake that was

it just stops fetching at all after an hour or two. i would end up not getting email notifications for a couple days, while also getting event reminders about events that i knew had long since been cancelled

not sure if it's that gnome as a project is specifically very good at attracting dunning kruger types, or if it's the same level across all desktop linux

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

lurk more and stop posting like a dipshit

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

lurk more and stop posting like a dipshit

i dont think lurking's gonna help ive been on this other forum for 6 straight years and i still hardly fit in there

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

i dont think lurking's gonna help ive been on this other forum for 6 straight years and i still hardly fit in there

trust me

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

trust me man
that other forum is pretty similar to this one in terms of how people act
if i didnt get that after six years, i'm not gonna get this
i might as well just gently caress off considering this is like the 7th time ive been told to lurk more

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Are you talking about reddit?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Dont Touch ME posted:

What's wrong with DNF Dragora?

Disclosure: I'm an executive-level computer touching clown who likes the CLI, so I disabled it on my system. I have never used it ever and I legitimately don't know if it's any good.

For me personally, it's the fact that it crashes about 50% of the time it is opened, or fails to pull the package lists from the repos its been assigned.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

xtal posted:

Are you talking about reddit?

no im talking about a private WoW off-topic forum from 2007

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
welcome to the something awful dot com forums I guess

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

this is the yospos linux thread, not a private WoW off-topic from 2007

keep on topic and give it a few years and you'll be fine. more or less.

it doesn't matter if you're a rereg or whatever so try not to let it get to you

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sb hermit posted:

this is the yospos linux thread, not a private WoW off-topic from 2007

keep on topic and give it a few years and you'll be fine. more or less.

it doesn't matter if you're a rereg or whatever so try not to let it get to you

being called a rereg isnt getting to me, being told to lurk more when from my perspective im posting the same as everyone else is whats getting to me

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i only remember people by their AVs so half of yospos is perpetually new to me regardless of account name

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, the AUR really spoiled me. It was a simple command in Pacman or couple of clicks in Pacmac to have it build from source for anything on there, including grabbing any dependencies needed at build/run time.

Fedora is a real challenge compared to it. Not because DNF sucks or anything. It's fine, but it's just that its repos are super limited so I've actually had to go out and manually build stuff by git clone which means also finding all the dependencies myself, so DNF doesn't get a chance to do its thing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
what have you had to build that isn’t in rpm fusion or the stock repos?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i just pick the -bin packages from aur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

being called a rereg isnt getting to me, being told to lurk more when from my perspective im posting the same as everyone else is whats getting to me

and from our perspective, lol