Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Forgive my ignorance of Severin as a company but are their releases all playable without a region free player?

It varies, seems like most are region free but some are locked to region A. Depends on the licensing deal they got I'm sure. If you go to their website it will say on the description for any given release.

For the Christopher Lee set, everything is region free except for Crypt of the Vampire, which is region A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Dammit Best Buy. Let me pre-order Donnie Darko UHD, Heat UHD, Speed UHD, and the Django UHD drat

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Umbrella released Bad Boy Bubby (1993) today. Looks like a solid release and I'm happy to have just ordered it.

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/movies/4657-bad-boy-bubby--blu-ray-beyond-genres.html

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RIP Warner Archive

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

RIP Warner Archive

??!!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

RIP Warner Archive

Nothing stays good in this world

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is it based on this short bit at the end of the newsletter?

What a weird way to announce it. Hard to tell if they mean someone else will be handling the shop or what

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
If it's gonna be their last sale does anybody have recs on what to pick up?

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Almost Blue posted:

Warner Archive is a huge, huge line of films. Lots of musicals from MGM’s early days that I consider essential. Really, you could just scroll through their “Musicals” section and that alone would last you years. Lots of old Hollywood melodramas with Kay Francis, if you’re into those. And then more recent fare like Joe vs. the Volcano, which everyone should own.

It really depends on what you’re into.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

oneforthevine posted:

Warner Archive is a huge, huge line of films. Lots of musicals from MGM’s early days that I consider essential. Really, you could just scroll through their “Musicals” section and that alone would last you years. Lots of old Hollywood melodramas with Kay Francis, if you’re into those. And then more recent fare like Joe vs. the Volcano, which everyone should own.

It really depends on what you’re into.

poo poo, gotta get on this, my wedding was Joe vs the Volcano themed. That disk is a must buy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

RIP Warner Archive

Normally this would bother me but I'm so happy that Rush Limbaugh finally dropped dead so nothing can ruin my day.

edit: That announcement is really confusing. They just put out a bunch of new releases and I can't find anything anywhere about them closing down. I wonder if it just means they're only doing 4 for 44 one last time. There are entirely too many WA titles I want and if they're shutting down it's going to be a hard choice.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 17, 2021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Normally this would bother me but I'm so happy that Rush Limbaugh finally dropped dead so nothing can ruin my day.

what if Rush Limbaugh was secretly funding the Warner Archive this whole time

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what if Rush Limbaugh was secretly funding the Warner Archive this whole time

If this was true it'd still be worth it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Delzuma posted:

poo poo, gotta get on this, my wedding was Joe vs the Volcano themed.

The, uh. The first 2/3, right?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Warner archives isn't going away, this is just the last 4-$44 sale.

They're changing, and they're becoming more of a reissue label, if I understand what Egbert was saying.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Warner archives isn't going away, this is just the last 4-$44 sale.

They're changing, and they're becoming more of a reissue label, if I understand what Egbert was saying.

That's what I figured because why would they be advertising and still making new releases. What do you mean by reissue label? Isn't that kind of what they already do?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but what I read is Warner Archives is partnering with Universal physical releases, and part of that is changing their online store. So the current store, where they do the 4 for $44 is being replaced with something new, and so they won't have the same sales.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Is it worth it to wait in hope for the Resident Evil 4K box to come back into print or should I just get the blu ray box for $25?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

yoohoo posted:

Is it worth it to wait in hope for the Resident Evil 4K box to come back into print or should I just get the blu ray box for $25?

It'll be back! The M:I set came back, and LOTR is in and out of availability. It'll happen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I preordered Howl From Beyond The Fog the second it was available, I had been waiting to see that movie for so long. It shipped in November, and immediately entered post office hell. In January SRS Cinema very kindly emails everyone who didn't get their copy offering to send them a new one for free, if the original shows up just ship it back. But I wanna hold off, I don't want them to be out copies, there were stories of tracking not being updated but people getting their copies anyway. So I wait another month and then finally say, yes please send me a new copy. Which they promptly do! It's on it's way!

And according to tracking, my new copy of Howl From Beyond The Fog's arrived in Dallas last weekend.

All of this is to say, I wonder what series of national disasters will occur to prevent me from receiving my copy of Monster Seafood Wars

https://twitter.com/COBRAcollector/status/1362220983239782401?s=20

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

The, uh. The first 2/3, right?

Nah. Our ceremony was pretty much word for word the wedding ceremony from the film. We just threw a banger of a party that happened to have a wedding in the middle of it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just watched my UHD Blu-ray of The New York Ripper from Blue Underground, and that is hands down the best transfer I've ever seen on home video. Just incredible.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Arrow has a flash sale going this week on some of their biggest titles. Grabbed Exorcist 3 and Maniac Cop, finally.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Arrow has a flash sale going this week on some of their biggest titles. Grabbed Exorcist 3 and Maniac Cop, finally.

And browsing this sale is how I find out there's a Primer + Upstream Color Blu-Ray 2 pack that's apparently region free.

Any way to know if this would be
A) an upgrade on the existing Blu-ray of Upstream Color
B) an upgrade of the DVD of Primer, which is not the best looking movie in the world in the first place

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Almost Blue posted:

Definitely the hidden.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Almost Blue posted:

The Green Slime.

My choices are going to be difficult because off the top of my head I want to get these:
V
V: the Final Battle
The Hunger
Body Snatchers
Cleopatra Jones
The Hidden
All the Batman Brave and the Bold seasons
Justice League Unlimited

I've been waiting for a 4 for 44 a while now. It's disappointing that they're not going to have them anymore but it's not like all the movies from WA are going to explode or anything. I'm wondering if getting rid of these sales are going to have a negative effect on WA.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 20, 2021

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive 1-disc releases tend to be $13-20 on Amazon, which is pretty reasonable considering they're doing full restorations on nearly everything.

As for recommendations, here's titles I'd consider to be absolute essential films to own:

The Shop Around the Corner (1940 - dir. Ernst Lubitsch, starring James Stewart and Margaret Sullivan)
Tex Avery Screwball Classics Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (all brand new 4K masters)
Mister Roberts (1954, dir. John Ford/Mervyn LeRoy, starring Henry Fonda, James Cagney, Jack Lemmon, and William Powell)
Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933, dir. Michael Curtiz, shot in 2-color Technicolor starring Lionel Atwill and Fay Wray, stunning 4K restoration)
Dodsworth (1936, dir. William Wyler, wonderful drama starring Walter Huston)
The Bad and the Beautiful (1952, dir. Vincente Minelli, starring Kirk Douglas, Lana Turner - one of the best films about film from the golden age)
The Set-Up (1949, dir. Robert Wise, starring Robert Ryan - has a commentary by Martin Scorsese)
Wagon Master (1950, dir. John Ford)
Footlight Parade (1933) - James Cagney and Joan Blondell in a half screwball comedy and half Busby Berkeley dance film, one of my favorite WA releases
The Thin Man (1934, one of the essential mystery/comedy films of the 30s)
The Thing from Another World (1951 - one of the essential classic sci-fi films, great companion to Carpenter's remake)
Gun Crazy (1950, Joseph H. Lewis) - essential noir, John Dall and Peggy Cummins are so great in this
Night Moves (1975, Arthur Penn) - great neo-noir with Gene Hackman
Ride the High Country (1962, Sam Peckinpah) - debut film by Peckinpah with Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott
Bad Day at Black Rock (1955, John Sturges) - western noir that has a scene with Spencer Tracy taking out Ernest Borgnine with one arm
Jezebel (1938, William Wyler) - Great Bette Davis role sort of like a more sympathetic Gone with the Wind
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958, Richard Brooks) - One of the horniest golden age movies ever, Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, and Burl Ives are incredible in this.
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (1966, Mike Nichols) - Debut film by Nichols starring Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, astonishing in every way
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942, Michael Curtiz) - The other great 1942 film by Curtiz starring James Cagney
42nd Street (1933, Lloyd Bacon) - Essential Busby Berkeley musical, even if Footlight Parade is better overall
Performance (1970, Donald Cammell/Nicolas Roeg) - Trippy look at identity with Edward Fox and Mick Jagger

Plenty of noir and auteur films, too...

Noir:
On Dangerous Ground (Nicholas Ray)
Murder, My Sweet (Edward Dymytrk)
Out of the Past (Jacques Tourneur)
While the City Sleeps (Fritz Lang)

Alfred Hitchcock:
Suspicion (with Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine)
I Confess (with Montgomery Clift)
The Wrong Man (with Henry Fonda)

Bogart/Bacall:
The Big Sleep (Howard Hawks)
To Have and Have Not (Howard Hawks)
Dark Passage (Delmer Daves)
Key Largo (John Huston)

Hammer Horror:
Horror of Dracula
The Curse of Frankenstein
The Satanic Rites of Dracula
Frankenstein 1970

More fun ones that I enjoyed:

My Favorite Year - stars Peter O'Toole
Cleopatra Jones - worth it just for Shelley Winters chewing scenery as the baddie
The Sea Hawk - 1940 swashbuckler by Michael Curtiz starring Errol Flynn
Super Fly - I think this is way better than Shaft
The Hanging Tree - underrated western with Gary Cooper, Karl Malden, and George C. Scott
The Sea Wolf - another great Michael Curtiz film, this time with Edward G. Robinson, Ida Lupino, and John Garfield in an anti-fascist parable
Waiting for Guffman - fun mockumentary by Christopher Guest
Innocent Blood - John Landis' comedy-horror worth it just for Robert Loggia and Don Rickles as vampires, also has cameos for Frank Oz, Sam Raimi, Dario Argento, Tom Savini
The Loved One - goofy satire on Hollywood and the funeral industry with Jonathan Winters as a creepy pastor and Rod Steiger as a weird embalmer, also has Liberace as a casket salesman
Body Snatchers - Abel Ferrara's take on the Jack Finney story, astonishingly creepy and IMO better than the '56 and '78 films
Time After Time - Fun time-travel tale with Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells and David Warner as Jack the Ripper, also
Susan Slept Here - Funny Frank Tashlin comedy with Debbie Reynolds
The Green Slime - silly sci-fi Japanese coproduction, killer main title track
The Great Race - Fun Blake Edwards all-star comedy. PUSH THE BUTTON MAX
The Hudsucker Proxy - Underrated Coen Bros. film

Also, they have reissues of stuff originally released through the main Warner label that are worth getting:

The Man Who Would be King (1976, dir. John Huston, starring Michael Caine and Sean Connery)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946, Best Picture winner, dir. William Wyler)
Jeremiah Johnson (1973, Sydney Pollack, starring Robert Redford)
The Big Parade (1925, dir. King Vidor, starring John Gilbert - one of the best American silent films I've seen)
House of Wax 3D (1953, dir. Andre de Toth, starring Vincent Price - 4K 3D restoration)
Hans Christian Andersen (1953,
Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Vol. 1 (1940-1948) - while some of the transfers are flawed, they look better than before and many essential cartoons
Guys and Dolls (1956, Joseph L. Mankiewicz)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962, Robert Aldrich)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, Elia Kazan)
Cabaret (1972, Bob Fosse)
Meet Me in St. Louis

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I like to remind everyone that The Green Slime was written by the creator of Batman and directed by the guy who made the Yakuza Papers and Battle Royale.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is that Warner 4 for $44 sale not live yet? I don’t see anything about it on their site.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

david_a posted:

Is that Warner 4 for $44 sale not live yet? I don’t see anything about it on their site.

Starts March 12

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

david_a posted:

It's March 12.

Also, the label isn't shuttering, but rather it seems like they're just closing up WBShop (which isn't even directly operated by Warner - it's a third party). In fact, George Feltenstein is still putting out podcasts, so it's looking like just a change in distribution.

There's still a lot of titles in the works to be released like the 3-panel Cinerama 4K restoration of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm, Tex Avery Screwball Classics Vol. 2, Another Thin Man, Life With Father, Little Women '49, and Doctor X.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Someone mentioned Warner archive has Batman brave and bold but I only see season 3?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Someone mentioned Warner archive has Batman brave and bold but I only see season 3?

Maybe the other two weren't Archive releases but I seem to recall seeing them on there. That's weird. Justice League Unlimited is a WA release but the other seasons that were just called Justice League are regular Warner releases. It could be that I guess. Speaking of the Bruce Timm DC shows, when the hell are they going to do Superman? It's the only one they still haven't done. And the only one of those that isn't on HBO Max.

edit: Deep Discount has seasons one and two. And they are from the Archive series.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 21, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
One release I would recommend is Mr. Nice Guy.

It's the first release of the Hong Kong cut in the US, and the US cut is included as well. You get Jackie Chan. What more do you need?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Maybe the other two weren't Archive releases but I seem to recall seeing them on there. That's weird. Justice League Unlimited is a WA release but the other seasons that were just called Justice League are regular Warner releases. It could be that I guess. Speaking of the Bruce Timm DC shows, when the hell are they going to do Superman? It's the only one they still haven't done. And the only one of those that isn't on HBO Max.

edit: Deep Discount has seasons one and two. And they are from the Archive series.

Man it's weird they aren't on the actual site then. I'd totally get them on this deal.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Double post

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Vince MechMahon posted:

Season 1

Season 2

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thank you! I've got no idea why they weren't showing up when I searched on my phone.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Thank you! I've got no idea why they weren't showing up when I searched on my phone.

I searched for them too and didn't get them and I'm using a desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Code for Blues Brothers

UBY7SM1YT1NSDBF5