Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

My 2019 Fat Bob has 5K intervals.

How? Surely the whole point is it's a big, lazy, simple and understressed engine, how does it require more fettling than the most highly-strung offerings Italy and Austria can come up with?

MY DUCATI has 20k miles between small services and 40k between the dreaded valve and belt jobs. The 200hp/litre, 18krpm redline RSV4 can apparently do triple the mileage of an engine making a quarter the power per cube with a rev limiter that can be set with a calendar without seeing the inside of a garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Because it's air cooled. Also 8000km is pretty short even if you're running mineral, 10 is probably fine. But also Harleys don't have any service bigger than the three oils, plugs and air filter. There's no clearances or belts or anything, and the gearbox and primary each only take like a liter, there's no reason you can't buy bulk 20w50 and be able to do every fluid on the bike except brakes.

And also, and I have to really emphasize this: you can do a total service on a Harley while sitting on a beer crate and not removing a single fairing, fuel tank or cosmetic cover. There are zero special tools or apparatus and you barely even have to measure what you're putting in.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 23, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How? Surely the whole point is it's a big, lazy, simple and understressed engine, how does it require more fettling than the most highly-strung offerings Italy and Austria can come up with?

MY DUCATI has 20k miles between small services and 40k between the dreaded valve and belt jobs. The 200hp/litre, 18krpm redline RSV4 can apparently do triple the mileage of an engine making a quarter the power per cube with a rev limiter that can be set with a calendar without seeing the inside of a garage.

This should detail what's needed done every 5000 miles.

Also, Jim, if you want me to make the images smaller, let me know. I left them full size as the text is a bit small, but I can reduce them if you think that's wise.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 23, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

This should detail what's needed done every 5000 miles.

Also, Jim, if you want me to make the images smaller, let me know. I left them full size as the text is a bit small, but I can reduce them if you think that's wise.

Interesting that they don't specify time, just mileage - mind you I suppose that's where the low-tech comes in handy, mineral-based fluids and no water cooling means it can sit for years without worrying about internal corrosion or water absorption or all the other stuff that afflicts unicorn-piss engine fluids.

(I realise that my original post came off a bit more sarcastic/hostile than I intended, it was a genuine question as to why they'd specify such short intervals but reflex action took over to big up :italy:)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Interesting that they don't specify time, just mileage - mind you I suppose that's where the low-tech comes in handy, mineral-based fluids and no water cooling means it can sit for years without worrying about internal corrosion or water absorption or all the other stuff that afflicts unicorn-piss engine fluids.

H-D did tell me it needs a yearly service, even if I don't do 5k miles, so yeah, there is that too, I'll deffo be bringing it in for a service in November.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(I realise that my original post came off a bit more sarcastic/hostile than I intended, it was a genuine question as to why they'd specify such short intervals but reflex action took over to big up :italy:)

It's all good broseph, no harm no foul :)

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In a water-cooled engine the water shouldn't come into contact with the oil, in fact oil contamination is a bigger issue on air-cooled bikes as tolerances aren't as tight (= more exhaust gases into crank case). If the water-cooled Harleys also have a 5k mile oil change interval that's just weird.
Kawasaki has a 5k km interval where they want you to bring the bike to the dealer just so they can look at stuff, very dumb because if you compare spec sheets it looks as if it really does need a service that often.
690 bikes have 10k km oil change interval but by then the oil will either have been consumed or diluted with gas.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I didn't realise KTMs even managed to reach 5 figure mileage.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
For a minute I thought you guys were saying the hdADV was aircooled, which seemed like a terrible idea for something going off road with a huge engine like that. Fortunately, it's water cooled as god intended.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

In a water-cooled engine the water shouldn't come into contact with the oil, in fact oil contamination is a bigger issue on air-cooled bikes as tolerances aren't as tight (= more exhaust gases into crank case). If the water-cooled Harleys also have a 5k mile oil change interval that's just weird.
Kawasaki has a 5k km interval where they want you to bring the bike to the dealer just so they can look at stuff, very dumb because if you compare spec sheets it looks as if it really does need a service that often.
690 bikes have 10k km oil change interval but by then the oil will either have been consumed or diluted with gas.

No such thing as a water cooled Harley unless you're talking about the Vrod/street/adv. The 'water cooled' big twin just has some small water passages around the valves and combustion chamber, on the unfaired bikes these passages run oil for cooling instead. The barrels are always air cooled, so they behave like air cooled motors, because they are. Also steel bores makes for a big piston clearance, I'd say the biggest difference lies there.

Never seen a 690 do a full oil change interval without needing top ups/seizing in-between.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Very stupid question:

Does the LiveWire have any oil in it at all?

I don't think it does, and the only fluid that would need replacing would be the brake fluid, right?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Steakandchips posted:

Very stupid question:

Does the LiveWire have any oil in it at all?

I don't think it does, and the only fluid that would need replacing would be the brake fluid, right?

Belt drive via bevel gear, could be fluid in the bevel assembly I guess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is there any benefit to liquid cooling on an e-bike? The Prius and other hybrids have a separate cooling system for the hybrid drive and inverter, but they're heavy and inside a steel box I guess.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Gorson posted:

Belt drive via bevel gear, could be fluid in the bevel assembly I guess.

I just checked, the LiveWire has brake fluid and coolant, both of which need replacement rarely.

It does, however, have a stupid 5000 mile service interval. Annoying for what should be relatively maintenance free bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Is there any benefit to liquid cooling on an e-bike? The Prius and other hybrids have a separate cooling system for the hybrid drive and inverter, but they're heavy and inside a steel box I guess.

Batteries get pretty hot both when charging and discharging quickly, and really really dislike it when they get too hot, so I suppose there's a possible technical benefit if you're designing a bike for maximum performance? I'd assume the much bigger surface area relative to electric car batteries, and them being out in the airflow anyway, would mean that it's pretty unlikely to be worth the extra weight and complexity compared to just limiting the performance.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It'd prolong pack life over aircooling.

The HD-ADV has some nice specs for what it is, and surprisingly cheap. The active suspension is a neat pony trick that'll attract those with too little inseam or dirt skill. Just lol at it being touted as capable of 135mph with a passenger + cases and cargo. Clearly targeting the Would-Be BMW buyer.

Slavvy posted:

Never seen a 690 do a full oil change interval without needing top ups/seizing in-between.

:same: To be fair, singles inherently do this.
My old rear end lc8 leaks, extended runs over 6krpm make the factory "pcv" system designed by orcs belch oil all over itself, front valvecover is piddling. Whatever I might fix it at the 83k major service.
I plumbed in a xr650l oil separator with the old homebrew intake that did wonders. Need to mill the new one and transfer it over.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Steakandchips posted:

I just checked, the LiveWire has brake fluid and coolant, both of which need replacement rarely.

It does, however, have a stupid 5000 mile service interval. Annoying for what should be relatively maintenance free bike.

I mean okay, but like 99% of that stuff is just "Inspect X". The only service items appear to happen at 20k.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm seriously considering the Dirt Glide. It's a very good combination of features on paper, and looks good in person. Looking forward to actually riding it. And yes, I'm the demographic BMW is actively hunting down, why'd you ask?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Valt posted:

I mean okay, but like 99% of that stuff is just "Inspect X". The only service items appear to happen at 20k.
Yep, pretty cheap and quick turnaround.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like just a sop to weeping service departments that nobody but the boomerest boomer will adhere to. 5k service interval on a bike with two moving parts is...I can't say the word anymore.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Retarded Pimp posted:

Same.

I'm calling it the Dirt Glide.

Close, but, and hear me out here.......

Dirt Pounder

E: nevermind the fat pounder wasn’t a Harley. I concede the point.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

My Energica Ego needs new "Motor Oil" and coolant every 6k miles.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

That looks like just a sop to weeping service departments that nobody but the boomerest boomer will adhere to. 5k service interval on a bike with two moving parts is...I can't say the word anymore.

cretinous? Cretinism doesn't happen v much anymore now that we've all got iodine in our table salt

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Nitrox posted:

I'm seriously considering the Dirt Glide. It's a very good combination of features on paper, and looks good in person. Looking forward to actually riding it. And yes, I'm the demographic BMW is actively hunting down, why'd you ask?

Yeah, the HD dealers to which I've been have always been generous with test-rides; I'm interested in going for a ride on one of these when they hit the dealers and I get vaccinated.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
If they get one in stock around here I am definitely giving it a decent testride, but I can't see myself ever buying one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Slavvy posted:

No such thing as a water cooled Harley unless you're talking about the Vrod/street/adv. The 'water cooled' big twin just has some small water passages around the valves and combustion chamber, on the unfaired bikes these passages run oil for cooling instead. The barrels are always air cooled, so they behave like air cooled motors, because they are. Also steel bores makes for a big piston clearance, I'd say the biggest difference lies there.

please check your language, i'm fairly sure that harley describes that big twin as "liquid-cooled" because the W-word is haraam

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

please check your language, i'm fairly sure that harley describes that big twin as "liquid-cooled" because the W-word is haraam

Lmao in reality they call it 'twin cooling' or 'freedom cooling' no joke.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Lmao in reality they call it 'twin cooling' or 'freedom cooling' no joke.

but not enough freedom cooling to keep engine heat from freedom frying your balls at stops, hence rear cylinder deactivation

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

'freedom cooling'

I don't believe you. Not even HD is that lame, and I'm sure HD owners have slightly enough dignity to find that insulting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

but not enough freedom cooling to keep engine heat from freedom frying your balls at stops, hence rear cylinder deactivation

That's nothing to do with frying your balls (they never do that anyway, it's your right leg that gets cooked), it's to stop cylinder warpage because boomer grampa wants to do walking speed laps of the walmart carpark.

Coydog posted:

I don't believe you. Not even HD is that lame, and I'm sure HD owners have slightly enough dignity to find that insulting.

A quick google turned up no evidence so I'm probably imagining it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

A quick google turned up no evidence so I'm probably imagining it.

So what you're saying is there's a gap in the market

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Using all the suspension travel

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
My brain spent a moment trying to figure out why someone would lower a DRZ like that until I read your caption and looked at the tires

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's just a suzuki hitting a speedbump.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Obviously just a lowered DRZ with a negligent owner who hasn't checked tire pressures in a year. Not pictured is the tabletop right before the above landing, it's pretty well setup such that if you're not fast on dirt you won't hit it with too much speed, but more experienced riders can get pretty high:

(the ttr125's suspension has been upgraded)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Genuinely shocked at that HD ADV motor. It's fully modern in every way. There's nothing backwards about it at all. It's like they had been taking notes for the last 50 years of all the modern technologies they had rejected and then finally put every single one of them in a new motor. I guess this is the end of America.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Genuinely shocked at that HD ADV motor. It's fully modern in every way. There's nothing backwards about it at all. It's like they had been taking notes for the last 50 years of all the modern technologies they had rejected and then finally put every single one of them in a new motor. I guess this is the end of America.

Never take apart a vrod then.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Never take apart a vrod then.

bUt ThE vRoD mOtOr IsN't eVeN hArLeY iT's PoRsH

1) gently caress typing like that
2) yes I know it's Porsche but dudes who shat on the v-rod b/c it weren't 'murican say "porsh"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah Harley only conceived and tested and built and produced and raced and developed and modified it. But porsche designed some parts so it doesn't count as a 'real' Harley.

Oh and this was twenty years ago. I hate vrods for a variety of reasons but they are a loving amazing bike for the time and place they came from.

Oh and the bike looked like this:

Most of you are old fucks, fire up diablo 2, put on your Y2K oakleys and drink that poo poo in with retinas that hadn't yet been scarred by occ & bikexiv garbage. Feel free to find something from 2000 as dramatic and extraordinary that isn't an Italian sportbike; picture thread needs more pictures and I can think of about three bikes that would qualify.

But no, Harley can't do anything right or smart or modern and this will always be true, lalala I can't hear your dirt glide ripping past.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Excuse me, I believe it's pronounced porsh-uhhhhhhhh

Those supermoto jumps look so sweet. Is that a motorcycle specific park?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

When was the Rune made?

Edit:

The Hayabusa came out in 1999.