Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

vonnegutt posted:

Not who Wallet was responding to, but I'm new to houseplants and was wondering the best method for fertilizing. I am used to growing things outdoors and my main method of fertilizing outdoors is a biannual layer of compost. I don't really want to do this indoors (seems messy) so I figure I will have to invest in some sort of liquid / powder fertilizer. What kind of fertilizer is best for houseplants?

My current houseplant collection includes:

- 5 spider plants (started with 2 but then had fun with propogating!)
- a pothos
- a jade plant

A reference I saw said to fertilize my spider plants every 2 weeks (!) which seemed like a recipe for nitrogen poisoning to me, but maybe it's some sort of extra dilute fertilizer?

What sort of schedule should I be on for my other plants?

just get the cheap Miracle Gro basic stuff. It's usually like $4.50 for a small box everywhere, and that box will probably last you years. I usually fertilize like once a month, at best, and I usually dilute it so it's less concentrated than what they recommend on the box (I'd rather underfeed than overfeed and I feed enough variety of plants that I'd rather be conservative than not). You could do once per season or twice per year and probably be fine too. You could also use organic, or Neptune's or some other fish/seaweed stuff but I find that that stuff can be kind of gross indoors and it's also pricey. And worm tea is :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Thanks! My approach to plants in general is :effort: so I appreciate it. I think I have a dusty box of Miracle Gro around here somewhere so I can just start with that and see how far I get. The book I was reading was getting very in depth with different fertilization schedules for each type of plant and I just got overwhelmed.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

vonnegutt posted:

A reference I saw said to fertilize my spider plants every 2 weeks (!) which seemed like a recipe for nitrogen poisoning to me, but maybe it's some sort of extra dilute fertilizer?

Keep in mind that the people who write fertilizer packaging are also the people who sell fertilizer. They almost always tell you to use fertilizer far more often than you need to. Similarly people who grow plants for a living (nurseries etc) are going to fertilize a lot more than you need or want to for your houseplants.

If you're using liquid fertilizer or fertilizer that gets mixed into water it's (IMO) worth buying organic if only because some plants are sensitive and your chances of accidentally burning the poo poo out of them are lower with an organic fertilizer. Your jade, in particular, shouldn't need much fertilizing at all but if you are going to fertilize it I'd go with half (or less) of the strength that e.g. Miracle-Gro puts on the package.

There's also a lot of fertilizers that don't get mixed into water and last a lot longer if you don't want to have to gently caress with it. Osmocote is cheap and an application lasts ~6 months, there's also a bunch different kinds of spikes available these days.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 26, 2021

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I think I’m going to go insane soon if this endless loving rain doesn’t stop

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I bought 18 hellebores (for cheap!) two cyclamen, an epimedium, and a trillium at the hellebore festival, total only like $100. Smaller than I thought it would be but got to talk to the owner for awhile. BUT bc the weather has been so heinous down here almost nothing in the gardens was blooming so no baller pics unfortunately.

Incredible prices though, I’d recommend both Pine Knot and Edgewood; he’s up in PA, big cyclamen and snow drop guy, very friendly, good prices on trillium and cyclamen, also he’ll sell you one of the rarest snow drops on earth for a cool $175 a bulb hahah

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Better days....

Babby Satan
Aug 7, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

do the vines have nodes of new growth at their tips?

No, none of them do which is what has me worried.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
speaking of pothos and water culturing this was supposed to be temporary but it likes it so much it just became a thing

Babby Satan
Aug 7, 2020

mediaphage posted:

speaking of pothos and water culturing this was supposed to be temporary but it likes it so much it just became a thing

Oooh, it looks lovely! How long did they take to root in the water?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

mediaphage posted:

That looks great. How many cuttings is it? I've got some that are at least a year old in a jar, but the tops never grow much so they look thin (unless you add a bunch, I imagine)

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

I bought 18 hellebores (for cheap!) two cyclamen, an epimedium, and a trillium at the hellebore festival, total only like $100. Smaller than I thought it would be but got to talk to the owner for awhile. BUT bc the weather has been so heinous down here almost nothing in the gardens was blooming so no baller pics unfortunately.
poo poo, $100 for 18 hellebores on its own would be a great deal. Plant Delights just sent out their catalogue with some Cypripedium (ladyslippers) in it that make my wallet hurt just looking at them.

Oil of Paris posted:

I think I’m going to go insane soon if this endless loving rain doesn’t stop
We're in the same boat—it's finally warmed up this week but now it's just raining forever. At least I can finally see some of the plants in my garden. This has been a weird winter: some things have appropriately died back but then I have some plants that have held onto green foliage they really shouldn't have which is now crushed and bedraggled after it sat under a foot of snow. Going to be a lot of clean up in the spring.

I've been trying to keep myself busy indoors. I spent some time over the last week figuring out how to transfer text from a laser printer onto wood so I could use a bunch of the scrap I have sitting around to make little plant labels. I know what they all are so I'm not sure what the real point of having plant labels is, but there's something about it I find satisfying.

The only thing I don't like about the new plant lights I put in is that they make it hard to take pictures that don't look like poo poo because the LEDs cause banding. They also make everything pink but that's easier to address. Ignore the thirsty looking Gymnocalicium in the background—he's adjusting :(.

Also this cute little Mammilaria prolifera is flowering and so are some of my Haworthia, so spring must be coming.

Nosre posted:

That looks great. How many cuttings is it? I've got some that are at least a year old in a jar, but the tops never grow much so they look thin (unless you add a bunch, I imagine)
You probably have to provide nutrients if you want them to grow well in water long term.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 27, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Babby Satan posted:

Oooh, it looks lovely! How long did they take to root in the water?

i don't remember, but not very long.

Nosre posted:

i don't know off hand, but a few. we have a pothos on a high shelf in the bathroom and over a couple of years it descended several vines that got to be probably eight feet long or so. for a long time we had them arranged around the top of the shower, which was pretty baller, not gonna lie. eventually thought that section lost its leaves because it didn't get much light so we trimmed them off.

recently-ish we cut all the rest off (they were getting kinda raggedy and dusty anyway) and plopped a few in the jar.

edit: so says 5-ish cuttings probably in a 1L jar?

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 27, 2021

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

^^ cool, thanks!

Wallet posted:

You probably have to provide nutrients if you want them to grow well in water long term.

Yea maybe. It wasn't a long-term or thought out thing so I hadn't looked into it. I guess you'd need some sort of hydroponics nutrient product?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nosre posted:

^^ cool, thanks!

Yea maybe. It wasn't a long-term or thought out thing so I hadn't looked into it. I guess you'd need some sort of hydroponics nutrient product?

yeah we change the water every week or two and occasionally add a few drops of nutes

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
We bought a house and the yard is lined with Ailanthus altissima.

I want it dead and gone so we can plant native species that will actually block the view of the utility substation next door.

How do I kill it permanently?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

mediaphage posted:

Is that a..... CHALLENGE?

I like what you've got there! Similar setup here, but with bonus algae. Getting the new home ready for some otocinclus catfish, and maybe cherry shrimp.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Speleothing posted:

I want it dead and gone so we can plant native species that will actually block the view of the utility substation next door.

Lots of herbicide, a good chainsaw, and weeding until the end of time. I had a boss that used to drill into the trunk and fill the hole with killx, but I don't think that's any more effective than topical applications.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Speleothing posted:

Hack and squirt if they are bigger than a 2-3 inches in diameter. Cut and squirt the stump if they are small enough. Make sure you use concentrated glyphosate/roundup, not pre-mixed stuff.
https://extension.psu.edu/using-hack-and-squirt-herbicide-applications-to-control-unwanted-trees
Once they are dead, cut them down and cut and spray any new stump sprouts as they pop up. It's important when you cut something down to spray the exposed wood on the stump immediately.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Speleothing posted:

Good luck, you will need it.

Babby Satan
Aug 7, 2020
Pothos update: root tips are starting to break through the nodes on the propagation station, and as for the repotted mother plant, it looks like there is at least one new leaf coming through and potentially another one coming on a trimmed vine so all is looking well :D Plants growing makes me stupidly happy.

Wallet posted:

... I'm not sure what the real point of having plant labels is, but there's something about it I find satisfying.

Those are really nice labels. I was thinking of how I could nicely display plant names are requirements myself and now I kind of want a setup similar to yours!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm in Texas and we recently went through the big freeze and had below freezing temps for almost a week and snow on the ground for multiple days. I have irises in my front yard that are buried shallow. They had pretty good size leaves before the freeze but were only planted around November. They had not bloomed. Now, a lot of the leaves are all brown or brown halfway down the leaf.

What do I need to do here to give them the best chance? Should I trim all the brown off? These are direct descendants of my grandmother's irises who died decades ago, I got them from my aunt (who also is in Texas) so I want to give them the best shot possible.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
There are so many types of iris, but I’ll say that I’ve never had issues in cold and freezing temps, even when buried shallow. They’ve tended to grow themselves up to being shallow anyway. I’d just leave them to recover, or maybe pull off some fully dead leaves and otherwise not stress them more. Definitely leave anything with green on it and it should recover okay.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

poo poo, $100 for 18 hellebores on its own would be a great deal. Plant Delights just sent out their catalogue with some Cypripedium (ladyslippers) in it that make my wallet hurt just looking at them.

We're in the same boat—it's finally warmed up this week but now it's just raining forever. At least I can finally see some of the plants in my garden. This has been a weird winter: some things have appropriately died back but then I have some plants that have held onto green foliage they really shouldn't have which is now crushed and bedraggled after it sat under a foot of snow. Going to be a lot of clean up in the spring.

I've been trying to keep myself busy indoors. I spent some time over the last week figuring out how to transfer text from a laser printer onto wood so I could use a bunch of the scrap I have sitting around to make little plant labels. I know what they all are so I'm not sure what the real point of having plant labels is, but there's something about it I find satisfying.

Hell yeah, those little labels look awesome. I had a greedy dream to build a rock garden in front of property where it gets full sun from dusk until dawn, but of course that plan fell victim to the rain. Now I’m instead fantasizing about turning this lovely little deck we never use into a sunroom >:]

I’m not sure I could ever buy one of those lady slippers, talk about high stakes for it to live and also explaining to wife “yes, this single plants was 120 bucks”

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Hell yeah, those little labels look awesome. I had a greedy dream to build a rock garden in front of property where it gets full sun from dusk until dawn, but of course that plan fell victim to the rain. Now I’m instead fantasizing about turning this lovely little deck we never use into a sunroom >:]

I’m not sure I could ever buy one of those lady slippers, talk about high stakes for it to live and also explaining to wife “yes, this single plants was 120 bucks”

I'm just praying that the rock garden I already planted doesn't turn into a rot farm. Everything being frozen doesn't worry me that much but all of the raining and melting better not kill all of my plants. Most of them seem to have done okay now that the snow has melted enough to see them (I had to pluck a few heads that had gone to rot off my sempervivums) but I hate waiting for spring to find out what the damage is. A few things that are supposed to be evergreen aren't (my cute little orostachys is all browned out) but I'm hoping they'll come back.

I wouldn't actually pay that much for something that gets planted outside (well, except trees I guess) because a vole or something would eat it and I'd lose my mind, they sure are pretty though. I have spent that much on some indoor plants because I can't help myself when it comes to weird cacti.

In indoor news I bought an Avonia that USPS lost for like a week and then it arrived in a 2.5" pot (which is substantially smaller than it was supposed to be). I genuinely don't understand why people even ship plants that small—they really don't seem to like it so I don't buy them. Now I have to spend the next three to six months babying it to try and keep it alive until it inevitably withers away and dies because plants that small should not be shipped, especially bare root. :(

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 2, 2021

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone done big Dahlias in pots? I've had smaller ones that have been pretty successful, but my girl wants to try these: https://www.farmergracy.co.uk/products/dahlia-cafe-au-lait-tubers-uk

I can't blame her, I'd love to try them too if I can get 'em to be happy. Pots really the only option because the border spots in my yard don't get enough sun, and I have a ton of slugs

Any ideas on the size pot I'd need for something like that?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
wallet, I think I’m going to risk it and put down a bunch of permatill and pine bark into mounds out front, I think that’s the best way to defray drainage issue: by keeping them as far from the real ground as possible lol. Permatill is insanely expensive so I’m going to try to negotiate with the guy or something first lol

I would love to grow some of these hardy succulents and cacti outside. We’re like right on the tip of the margin to do a lot of them well, but it’s allllll about the winter drainage

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Nosre posted:

Anyone done big Dahlias in pots? I've had smaller ones that have been pretty successful, but my girl wants to try these: https://www.farmergracy.co.uk/products/dahlia-cafe-au-lait-tubers-uk

I can't blame her, I'd love to try them too if I can get 'em to be happy. Pots really the only option because the border spots in my yard don't get enough sun, and I have a ton of slugs

Any ideas on the size pot I'd need for something like that?

Bigger the better. I think they’d do fine in pots but they make a beefy root system. Mine are pretty crowded in the garden between some woody shrubs and so can’t expand too much. I think as long as you gave the roots some room to fill out and fertilized you’d be good to go

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

wallet, I think I’m going to risk it and put down a bunch of permatill and pine bark into mounds out front, I think that’s the best way to defray drainage issue: by keeping them as far from the real ground as possible lol. Permatill is insanely expensive so I’m going to try to negotiate with the guy or something first lol

I would love to grow some of these hardy succulents and cacti outside. We’re like right on the tip of the margin to do a lot of them well, but it’s allllll about the winter drainage

Do you have clay soil? :ohdear: I've got sandy loam so I didn't have to go super hard on expensive amendments but it's also quite a bit colder here I think than where you are. I went with pea gravel instead of bark and I didn't do any major mounding but I don't think that would work very well in clay. For the price, especially if you're doing mounds, I'd be tempted to just mix (fine) pine bark and gravel together instead of loving around with permatill.

I stumbled upon a succulent nursery in Denver that grows a decent variety of cold hearty stuff I haven't seen readily available elsewhere that I'm excited to give a shot once it warms up.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 3, 2021

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Oil of Paris posted:

Bigger the better. I think they’d do fine in pots but they make a beefy root system. Mine are pretty crowded in the garden between some woody shrubs and so can’t expand too much. I think as long as you gave the roots some room to fill out and fertilized you’d be good to go

I'm hoping 60 liters would do it, that's a beefy pot... 100l there in the back. Thank you random youtubes for size comparisons

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I really wish the trend of gluing fake flowers on cacti would die out already

It sucks when you stumble upon a really nice type specimen for super super cheap but then it's got this giant fuckoff dab of glue encasing like a fourth of its head with zero way to remove it without ruining the cactus.

And they've definitely upped the amount of glue. You used to be able to easily flick off the decorations with minimal damage, if any. In fact, a lot of them would seemingly pop off in transit or display, or as the cactus grew. But the ones I just saw are like well frosted, to the point that I imagine it'll be a serious impediment to the plant's growth.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

This poo poo is the weirdest—they had cacti with glittery poo poo all over them at the Depot when I was there around Christmas. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just get a plastic plant if you actually wanted fake flowers. I wonder if you could get the glue off by going at it (very carefully) with a heat gun or something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

This poo poo is the weirdest—they had cacti with glittery poo poo all over them at the Depot when I was there around Christmas. I wonder if you could get the glue off by going at it (very carefully) with a heat gun or something.

not without totally loving the cactus, no

the only thing that works is a scalpel/x-acto

Which really sucks if you’re talking about a cactus with really well defined star spines

and it’s not like all the various mamms weren’t already covered in flower buds. Costa has some really gorgeous ones now- I imagine they’re hybrids because they don’t name them and they all look perfect- that seem to blend the “greatest hits” of Mammilaria features. And then they’re just like “no we also have to cover it in bullshit”

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I agree that the concept of gluing plastic garbage to plants is a terrible thing. Get an artificial Christmas tree, and go buck wild if that's your thing, but don't mess up a living individual.

I'm going to cross post this link here and in the aquarium thread, I just stumbled across the 20th Anniversary Aquatic Gardeners Association International Aquascaping Contest results.

It has some amazing plant photography, and I dig it.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

what in the world, I have not seen this before. Buy a cactus, get a free cat toy lol. Trashy

Wallet posted:

Do you have clay soil? :ohdear: I've got sandy loam so I didn't have to go super hard on expensive amendments but it's also quite a bit colder here I think than where you are. I went with pea gravel instead of bark and I didn't do any major mounding but I don't think that would work very well in clay. For the price, especially if you're doing mounds, I'd be tempted to just mix (fine) pine bark and gravel together instead of loving around with permatill.

Hell yeah it's clay for days here: that ubiquitous, ultra-compacted Carolina red. Getting good drainage for anything is a constant issue, much less these temperamental succulents

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

what in the world, I have not seen this before. Buy a cactus, get a free cat toy lol. Trashy

Hell yeah it's clay for days here: that ubiquitous, ultra-compacted Carolina red. Getting good drainage for anything is a constant issue, much less these temperamental succulents

I know Jim Putnam has talked a lot about amending his Carolina clay by mixing pine bark into it year after year, but I imagine it would take a long time (perhaps forever) to get to a level of drainage that would accommodate succulents. I guess it's mounds or bust.

Are you going to try to grow actual cacti or just other stuff? Cacti seem super sensitive in my experience relatively to stuff like Yucca, Hesperaloe, succulent Euphorbia, and of course Sedum/Hylotelephium. You're just on the cusp of a lot of rad Agave I wish I could grow here, as well—pre-requesting pictures of what you come up with.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 4, 2021

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Any recommendations for a trellis/support for a large container? I want to grow some Ipomoea quamoclit on my balcony so I'll need some kind of trellis. Previously I've grown moonflowers (Ipomoea alba) and some kind of morning glory (most likely purpurea, I harvested some seeds from a volunteer in my comunity garden) on my balcony by just planting some bamboo poles into the pot. But that tends to be rather floppy and doesn't look all that nice. That and I make it into a pyramid shape so the growth room at the top is comparatively small.

The pots are roughly 1 foot across.

I don't think letting it run on the balcony rails will do so well, the rails on my balcony are black so they will get very hot during the daytime.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 4, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
do bird nest (Asplenium) ferns grow pups? I have a big bird nest that I got about 3 years ago and repotted last summer, where it has gotten quite large.

Upon inspection there appear to be three, maybe four individual round plants smushed together, looking like propagated staghorns or succulents.

I had it on fairly good authority that birds nests didn’t grow pups. Was I mistaken? Are these younger smaller plants spore drops (I’ve never seen spores here)?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hello!

You folks were kind enough to give a rough identification on some shrubs a while ago, to determine whether any were worth keeping. My landscapers agreed with you that none were.

Now we're in the process of removal, and my structural engineer needs to know the rough species/type of these 5 trees, to see what sort of water consumption effect they're having on the soil, as that affects soil movement once they're taken away.

I can get higher res images and/or the old photos if needed, but it's a bit clearer how many there are now their foliage isn't all mixed together.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
4 is def a Buddleia. 2 might be an elder (Sambuccus)

3 could be a lilac I guess.

1 could be cherry laurel.

5 looks like it has been dead for a while

Honestly though, they all look like small to medium shrubs at best; I wouldn't have thought that they would have such huge root systems and water requirements as to cause problems upon removal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

4 looks like it could be lilac also

edit: never mind, I don't know what I'm talking about