Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

der ruhige posted:

That's okay, I understand that this system is overkill for current gen games and my resolution, however I am looking for long lasting future proof build here, and budget is not a limiting factor for me.

I changed the build somewhat after consulting with my brother https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7RwdcT

Lmao.

How the gently caress did you manage to make this build even worse?

You went from 3200 CL14 to 3600 CL18.

You have a 400 god drat dollar power supply.

A $350 AIO.

An $800 4TB SSD (why exactly?)

You could spend $2000 less and get exactly 5% less performance.

If your intent is to set money on fire your build should be

- 5950x (or 5900x, whichever you can get)
- 3090 (3080Ti is indefinitely canceled as of now and you shouldn’t expect it for about a year) EVGA FTW3 or Asus Strix
- 3600Mhz CL16 or CL14 ram
- 2TB NVME that’s not a samsung cause that’s a waste.
- 1000w Gold+ PSU that’s about $250.
- pay someone to build you a custom loop water cooling system.
- take above persons recommendation on motherboard and case so they have the headers they need.

Your build is loving stupid for a lot of reasons. Mostly because you’re actually intent on spending thousands of dollars just to swing your dick around at 5% gains. You will not future proof your machine by doing this.

He’s a quick example. The 2080Ti came out in fall 2018. The cheapest version MSRP’d at $1199.

Last year, nvidia launched the 3080 at $699 with nearly equal speed. That’s 2 years and a nearly 50% cost drop.

For comparison, the current big dick card, the 3090, only performs at about a 20% increase over the 3080 for actually double the price.

In 2022, a new card will come out that’ll make the 3090 look like poo poo. That’s how this works.

Spend 2-3k now, and build a new machine every 2-3 years. That’s the only way to future proof. Limit your costs now to get near max performance so you can do it every few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

For people just trying to get a holdover GPU, there have been some good deals in SA mart lately

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CloFan posted:

Here's where I ended up:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB EAGLE OC Video Card
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205M MicroATX Mid Tower Case + Noctua fans
Power Supply: Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: $1830 all in. A couple hundred more than I wanted to spend, but oh well. Should be a decent step up from my decade-old i5-2500k build and 970!
Gigabyte PSUs are not at all highly regarded, so you may want to swap that out with something better like a Corsair for maybe $10-20 more

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

der ruhige posted:

Thank you for the insight. You have a point, and I should have been more clear. I will continue to upgrade the build as necessary in the future, but I have no reason to scale back this build for budgetary reasons. One could argue that I could make do with a 1500$ budget, which is true, but there is no reason for me to do that.

Yes, fair point, but space is also not a limiting factor for me. I prefer full towers for the ease of assembly and superior airflow.

In response to this and your other posts, we all understand very clearly that you're obscenely wealthy, but that isn't some mitigating factor that stops people (rightly) finding it distasteful how you're spending your money. As others have pointed out, there are even ways to spend that extra money that might potentially make some kind of sense (watercooling, aesthetics), but you've chosen parts that aren't actually contributing anything extra to the build.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Have you done anything besides blow dust? What’s the fan curve for the GPU at? What temp is it hitting?

How do I find these things out?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

WattsvilleBlues posted:

MSI afterburner is good for that. It not only gives you information but it lets you adjust the fan curve and other settings.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gigabyte PSUs are not at all highly regarded, so you may want to swap that out with something better like a Corsair for maybe $10-20 more

Good eye. It came in a bundle with the 3070. I'd imagine most of the newegg 1-star reviews are from people trying to return the unit without giving up the gpu. I wouldn't choose it specifically, but I've got to imagine it can't be too awful to use.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Not even that, literally 0%. It sounds like they've already got a 1440p ultrawide 100hz monitor, which would absolutely be the bottleneck in their system. They can throw all the 16 core CPUs or $1000+ GPUs they want at it, it's not going to make it display any more fps or run at a higher resolution, and it will age just the same as all the other CPUs of this generation.

To try to hammer the point home to OP: if you'd come in with this mindset last generation and bought the Ryzen 3950x, a 16 core 32 thread CPU, at $750, you would have bought a processor that got absolutely smoked for gaming performance one year later by the current lowest end Zen 3, the 6 core 12 thread 5600x, at $300. Your 'future proofing' would have got you a few fps difference at 1080p over the best value CPU from that generation, the 3600, and zero difference at the higher resolutions you want to play at anyway. What's the point?

And in case you're interpreting this as jealousy or whatever, it absolutely isn't. There's plenty of people in this thread who have spent lots of money on their PCs, but they also understand the concept of value and where to spend the money to get the highest appreciable return on their investment. Given the two build lists you've attempted, you've shown you have next to no idea about what you're actually putting into the PC and what effect that has on performance, as evidenced by you changing the RAM to actually be worse, and whatever is going on with your storage situation. Presuming you came here to actually get advice, please take some of it.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 27, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Butterfly Valley posted:

What's the point?

https://youtu.be/81Nl7VYFEaI

There’s high end computers but the future proofing reasoning feels like an excuse to be able to say “I have a 4000 dollar computer”.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Afterburner as stated below.

Also keep in mind, ramping fans means the GPU is working harder.

Basically, your GPU works harder than it did when you got it. Which is expected, as each year the things you use it for demand more performance. So the fans will have to run louder and harder each year.

What you’re trying to rule out here is if there is a problem with the fan or other cooling parts of the GPU. If there’s no problem, and you buy the same class of GPU, the fans will ramp to a similar speed/noise.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Not even that, literally 0%. It sounds like they've already got a 1440p ultrawide 100hz monitor, which would absolutely be the bottleneck in their system. They can throw all the 16 core CPUs or $1000+ GPUs they want at it, it's not going to make it display any more fps or run at a higher resolution, and it will age just the same as all the other CPUs of this generation.

To try to hammer the point home to OP: if you'd come in with this mindset last generation and bought the Ryzen 3950x, a 16 core 32 thread CPU, at $750, you would have bought a processor that got absolutely smoked for gaming performance one year later by the current lowest end Zen 3, the 6 core 12 thread 5600x, at $300. Your 'future proofing' would have got you a few fps difference at 1080p over the best value CPU from that generation, the 3600, and zero difference at the higher resolutions you want to play at anyway. What's the point?

And in case you're interpreting this as jealousy or whatever, it absolutely isn't. There's plenty of people in this thread who have spent lots of money on their PCs, but they also understand the concept of value and where to spend the money to get the highest appreciable return on their investment. Given the two build lists you've attempted, you've shown you have next to no idea about what you're actually putting into the PC and what effect that has on performance, as evidenced by you changing the RAM to actually be worse, and whatever is going on with your storage situation. Presuming you came here to actually get advice, please take some of it.

I forgot he’s using a $200 monitor for a $6000 setup.

Lol

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmao.

How the gently caress did you manage to make this build even worse?

You went from 3200 CL14 to 3600 CL18.

You have a 400 god drat dollar power supply.

A $350 AIO.

An $800 4TB SSD (why exactly?)

Good catch on the RAM, I didn't notice it was CL18. I will find 3600 CL 14. Thank you.

If your intent is to set money on fire your build should be

- 5950x (or 5900x, whichever you can get)
- 3090 (3080Ti is indefinitely canceled as of now and you shouldn’t expect it for about a year) EVGA FTW3 or Asus Strix
- 3600Mhz CL16 or CL14 ram
- 2TB NVME that’s not a samsung cause that’s a waste.
- 1000w Gold+ PSU that’s about $250.
- pay someone to build you a custom loop water cooling system.
- take above persons recommendation on motherboard and case so they have the headers they need.
-5900x is the cpu I will go with, as indicated in the most recent build I posted.
-I thought the 3080 TI being cancelled was just a rumor? If true I will go with a 3090 instead as you said.
-I like Samsung for SSDs as they offer a good combination of reliability and speed, and, as I said, the price point is a non-issue.
-Why do I need a 1000 watt PSU for a system that will likely never use more than 600 watts? 850w seems reasonable for this build.
-I will consider custom water cooling solutions only if temperatures become an issue. I have heard the 3090 runs hot, so it may be a good idea.
-What motherboard case recommendations are you talking about? I don't see a post talking about headers anywhere on the last page?

Your build is loving stupid for a lot of reasons. Mostly because you’re actually intent on spending thousands of dollars just to swing your dick around at 5% gains. You will not future proof your machine by doing this.
I am not trying to 'swing my dick around', I just want to build a powerful gaming machine within my stated budget. I am seeing now that "future proof" was a poor choice of words.. I can and will upgrade parts or build a new system every 2-3 years as needed. It seems to me you are becoming very emotional here, and frankly, rude. Why are you acting this way towards me?

He’s a quick example. The 2080Ti came out in fall 2018. The cheapest version MSRP’d at $1199.

Last year, nvidia launched the 3080 at $699 with nearly equal speed. That’s 2 years and a nearly 50% cost drop.

For comparison, the current big dick card, the 3090, only performs at about a 20% increase over the 3080 for actually double the price.

In 2022, a new card will come out that’ll make the 3090 look like poo poo. That’s how this works.
Yes, you're right of course. That's how it goes with computer electronics. Every year or two something better comes along. But...

Spend 2-3k now, and build a new machine every 2-3 years. That’s the only way to future proof.
I will spend 4-5k now and I'll do so again in 3 years. For me, this is a reasonable acceptable expenditure on my gaming hobby. On a cost per hour of entertainment basis this is actually a great deal compared to most other hobbies, especially other ones I enjoy! If you think 5k every 3 years is expensive, you don't want to know about boating, international travel, or mountain climbing!

Limit your costs now to get near max performance so you can do it every few years.
As I've been trying to explain, I don't need to limit my costs now in order to do it again every few years.

The Grumbles posted:

In response to this and your other posts, we all understand very clearly that you're obscenely wealthy, but that isn't some mitigating factor that stops people (rightly) finding it distasteful how you're spending your money. As others have pointed out, there are even ways to spend that extra money that might potentially make some kind of sense (watercooling, aesthetics), but you've chosen parts that aren't actually contributing anything extra to the build.
I'm not, and never claimed to be, obscenely wealthy. I am gainfully employed and reasonably well off, but not some billionaire or anything like this. Which of my parts aren't contributing anything to the build? I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say here.

I forgot he’s using a $200 monitor for a $6000 setup.

Lol
It's a $600 monitor, or at least was when I purchased it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

der ruhige posted:

And you still don’t get why we’re saying future proofing is not the way to go?

I got a better monitor last year for like 250.

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And you still don’t get why we’re saying future proofing is not the way to go?

I got a better monitor last year for like 250.
I'm happy for you, however I am still using this monitor as it works fine and suits my needs. Money well spent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

der ruhige posted:

I'm happy for you, however I am still using this monitor as it works fine and suits my needs. Money well spent.

The point is that the stuff that you’re looking at that’s super high end is going to do the job now just as well as the more reasonably priced stuff, and that in two years you’ll have reasonably priced options that will handle things better than the expensive stuff now, for the same total expense. If you don’t go over the top now, $4k will get you (arbitrary number) 5 years of maxing stuff out instead of 2 years of maxing stuff out and then tuning things down.

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The point is that the stuff that you’re looking at that’s super high end is going to do the job now just as well as the more reasonably priced stuff, and that in two years you’ll have reasonably priced options that will handle things better than the expensive stuff now, for the same total expense. If you don’t go over the top now, $4k will get you (arbitrary number) 5 years of maxing stuff out instead of 2 years of maxing stuff out and then tuning things down.
The only piece of hardware that I would consider "super high end" would be the GPU, and maybe the case. There are better performing and much more expensive options for every other piece of hardware I selected.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
He's 100% trolling.

No one seriously specs out a machine with $800 in hard drives unless they're buying a server or do professional audio or video engineering.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Blinkz0rz posted:

He's 100% trolling.

No one seriously specs out a machine with $800 in hard drives unless they're buying a server or do professional audio or video engineering.

I find the fact they posted not even half an hour after I discussed the PC builder with more money than sense quite serendipitous.

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blinkz0rz posted:

He's 100% trolling.

I have a large collection of movies, shows, and music that I want to migrate over to the 4tb SSD.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

der ruhige posted:

The only piece of hardware that I would consider "super high end" would be the GPU, and maybe the case. There are better performing and much more expensive options for every other piece of hardware I selected.

Those more expensive options would be even more insane. You have a 400 dollar power supply. You have a 400 dollar motherboard. What performance benefits do you think you’ll get from those? The GPU is the only part of that build that’s actually sane!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

der ruhige posted:

I have a large collection of movies, shows, and music that I want to migrate over to the 4tb SSD.

That’s what HDDs are for. There is no way you’re not trolling.

E:

Blinkz0rz posted:

He's 100% trolling.

I’ve spent that much on drives in the last year but I didn’t do it speccing out one machine, I’m just a data hoarder.

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That’s what HDDs are for. There is no way you’re not trolling.
Half the point of this new PC is to get away from HDDs! My current machine has four of them, I see no reason to use an HDD for anything in 2021!

Those more expensive options would be even more insane. You have a 400 dollar power supply. You have a 400 dollar motherboard What performance benefits do you think you’ll get from those?.
The PSU is the heart of a PC, and absolutely the last place you want to cut corners. I could probably find a cheaper motherboard that would work with this build, but I don't really see a reason to shave $150 or so off a $5,000 build.

der ruhige fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 27, 2021

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

I’ve spent that much on drives in the last year but I didn’t do it speccing out one machine, I’m just a data hoarder.

I have too but they're platter drives for my NAS

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

der ruhige posted:

More expensive does not equal better as everyone has repeatedly been trying to drum into you. With a 100hz 1440p monitor you can throw a 64 core threadripper CPU at it and it will have literally 0% benefit to you now or in the future. Even if you had an 8k TV - in fact especially if you had one, because high resolutions are more GPU demanding - it would not have any benefit. The 6 core, 12 thread $300 Ryzen 5600x is a faster and better gaming processor right now than the 64 core, 128 thread $3990 Threadripper 3990X. This is an extreme example but I'm trying to explain to you why more expensive is not better performing.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

der ruhige posted:

I don't really see a reason to shave $150 or so off a $5,000 build.

This is your entire problem, assuming you're not trolling. You're approaching the thing having decided you want to spend a certain amount of money and you're determined to do that, rather than working out what performance you want and then figuring out how much that costs to achieve.

You would be a salesperson's wet dream.

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Butterfly Valley posted:

More expensive does not equal better as everyone has repeatedly been trying to drum into you. With a 100hz 1440p monitor you can throw a 64 core threadripper CPU at it and it will have literally 0% benefit to you now or in the future. Even if you had an 8k TV - in fact especially if you had one, because high resolutions are more GPU demanding - it would not have any benefit. The 6 core, 12 thread $300 Ryzen 5600x is a faster and better gaming processor right now than the 64 core, 128 thread $3990 Threadripper 3990X. This is an extreme example but I'm trying to explain to you why more expensive is not better performing.
I am familiar with the concept of diminishing returns, which is why I selected an 850$ CPU rather than a 4000$ one.

I worked from here https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

der ruhige posted:

I am familiar with the concept of diminishing returns, which is why I selected an 850$ CPU rather than a 4000$ one.

I worked from here https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

So why didn't you go for the 5800x with the best single threaded score (what actually matters for gaming), as that list points out?

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Butterfly Valley posted:

So why didn't you go for the 5800x with the best single threaded score (what actually matters for gaming), as that list points out?
The performance is essentially identical, and the 5900x is only $100 more.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2197-zen-3-cpu-gpu-scaling-benchmark/

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

der ruhige posted:

....so why not save that $100?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you just want to impress people with your sweet build, spend the money on LED fans or liquid cooling or sparkly lights.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

der ruhige posted:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2197-zen-3-cpu-gpu-scaling-benchmark/

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WM2vcT

I specced a build that would be literally the fastest possible gaming PC available right now and still came in at less than $4000 and I included a brand new 4k high refresh rate monitor. If you want to spend your money where you'll actually see the benefit then do that.

That PC would perform around ~15% better than my recent new build, while costing 90% more and not being any more 'futureproof'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CloFan posted:

Good eye. It came in a bundle with the 3070. I'd imagine most of the newegg 1-star reviews are from people trying to return the unit without giving up the gpu. I wouldn't choose it specifically, but I've got to imagine it can't be too awful to use.
Yeah I wouldn't use that one...I had to get one with a 3070 bundle as well, but they are considered somewhat unsafe by the serious PSU people.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

der ruhige posted:

Good catch on the RAM, I didn't notice it was CL18. I will find 3600 CL 14. Thank you.

-5900x is the cpu I will go with, as indicated in the most recent build I posted.
-I thought the 3080 TI being cancelled was just a rumor? If true I will go with a 3090 instead as you said.
-I like Samsung for SSDs as they offer a good combination of reliability and speed, and, as I said, the price point is a non-issue.
-Why do I need a 1000 watt PSU for a system that will likely never use more than 600 watts? 850w seems reasonable for this build.
-I will consider custom water cooling solutions only if temperatures become an issue. I have heard the 3090 runs hot, so it may be a good idea.
-What motherboard case recommendations are you talking about? I don't see a post talking about headers anywhere on the last page?

I am not trying to 'swing my dick around', I just want to build a powerful gaming machine within my stated budget. I am seeing now that "future proof" was a poor choice of words.. I can and will upgrade parts or build a new system every 2-3 years as needed. It seems to me you are becoming very emotional here, and frankly, rude. Why are you acting this way towards me?

Yes, you're right of course. That's how it goes with computer electronics. Every year or two something better comes along. But...
I will spend 4-5k now and I'll do so again in 3 years. For me, this is a reasonable acceptable expenditure on my gaming hobby. On a cost per hour of entertainment basis this is actually a great deal compared to most other hobbies, especially other ones I enjoy! If you think 5k every 3 years is expensive, you don't want to know about boating, international travel, or mountain climbing!

As I've been trying to explain, I don't need to limit my costs now in order to do it again every few years.
I'm not, and never claimed to be, obscenely wealthy. I am gainfully employed and reasonably well off, but not some billionaire or anything like this. Which of my parts aren't contributing anything to the build? I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Lmao.

You must be a troll.

But in case you’re not, your grasp of computer hardware is so limited, and your budget is so high, that you shouldn’t be building one yourself. Your failure to understand that your 1440p 100hz monitor means you won’t get any extra performance out of a build better than about $1000 proves it. So does the fact that you don’t know that temps will literally always be a problem for a 3090/5900x build.

You’ve indicated your hobby is gaming. Not building computers. For 90% of us frequent posters, the build itself is the hobby, and the gaming aspect (or whatever else) is secondary. Which is why we hang out here and help people instead of “spending money on sailing and mountain climbing.” We get it, your hobby budget is more than most of our yearly salaries. loving get over yourself.

Pay someone who actually knows what they are doing to build you a custom, functional system for your needs, with your tastes, and in your budget. They can also source you a monitor.

This way the thread can get back to helping people who need help, instead of laughing at someone who need to tell a group of 50 internet strangers they have a lot of money.

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmao.

You must be a troll.

But in case you’re not, your grasp of computer hardware is so limited, and your budget is so high, that you shouldn’t be building one yourself. Your failure to understand that your 1440p 100hz monitor means you won’t get any extra performance out of a build better than about $1000 proves it. So does the fact that you don’t know that temps will literally always be a problem for a 3090/5900x build.

You’ve indicated your hobby is gaming. Not building computers. For 90% of us frequent posters, the build itself is the hobby, and the gaming aspect (or whatever else) is secondary.

Which is why we hang out here and help people instead of “spending money on sailing and mountain climbing.” We get it, your hobby budget is more than most of our yearly salaries. loving get over yourself.

Pay someone who actually knows what they are doing to build you a custom, functional system for your needs, with your tastes, and in your budget. They can also source you a monitor.

This way the thread can get back to helping people who need help, instead of laughing at someone who need to tell a group of 50 internet strangers they have a lot of money.
I enjoy assembling the machine too, just like any of you here! I don't care about money, and didn't come here to show off. In fact, the only reason I had to mention budget more than once is because some of you felt the need to repeatedly yell at me for spending "too much" money on my gaming PC. At this point, it's become clear that this is no longer a healthy or productive conversation. Thank you everyone who offered your input. You've given me some things to consider.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

der ruhige posted:

I enjoy assembling the machine too, just like any of you here! I don't care about money, and didn't come here to show off. In fact, the only reason I had to mention budget more than once is because some of you felt the need to repeatedly yell at me for spending "too much" money on my gaming PC. At this point, it's become clear that this is no longer a healthy or productive conversation. Thank you everyone who offered your input. You've given me some things to consider.

If it weren't for current gpu issues, you could build 2 machines for the budget that would achieve roughly the same top end performance for your monitor, so if you like spending double your money for no apparent reason, consider just buying 2 of the same build and gifting one to a fellow goon. I'd graciously accept of course.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Whales who spend $4k on gaming PCs are good because they are fun to laugh at and further reinforce the fact that money can’t buy good taste.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hey thread!

I have been having a lot of trouble with a ~10 year old home build lately, the upside of which is that I've replaced a lot of stuff, the downside of which, I think I've reached the point where it makes sense to replace the mobo+CPU+RAM, if possible. (Otherwise it's "buy a new PC", but I'm hoping that's not the only way.)

(To be specific, I'm getting a ton of possibly memory related errors and shutdowns, can't get it to run memtest, because gently caress this motherboard, so I'm leaning toward "start shopping for new parts".)

quote:

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx Series RM750x 750W ATX12V / EPS 12V 80 PLUS GOLD Full Mod PS recently replaced/upgraded
Motherboard: Intel BOXDP67BGB3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler (along with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM)
Memory: CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 1600 something or other
SSD: Samsung something or other recently replaced/upgraded
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC ULTRA, OC, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Dual, 65C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3163-KR, 8GB GDDR6recently replaced/upgraded

I'm hoping I can hang on to the case, and the recent upgrades, and replace the motherboard, CPU (+ cooler), and memory.

1) Is this viable?
2) Is ~$450 a reasonable budget? (If not, that's not necessarily a dealbreaker, but I don't want to spend too much
3) What should I be looking at?

I'd like to avoid some of the weird gotchas of this motherboard - it seems like it had a lot of weird idiosyncracies, possibly due to when it was produced and being a weird "let's put glowing skulls on it" type of board. I would like to game but don't expect to be running the latest and greatest at 4k. I have zero preference between Intel or AMD because I know very little about the last 10 years of processors and such.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Krakkles posted:

1) Is this viable?
2) Is ~$450 a reasonable budget? (If not, that's not necessarily a dealbreaker, but I don't want to spend too much
3) What should I be looking at?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. To come in under budget around $380: a Ryzen 3600, a b450 board and 16GB of 3200 CL16 RAM. To come in a little overbudget, around $500, but have a better CPU, slightly faster RAM and a better motherboard for PCIe 4 compatibility: a Ryzen 5600X, a b550 board and 16GB of 3600 CL16 RAM.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. To come in under budget around $380: a Ryzen 3600, a b450 board and 16GB of 3200 CL16 RAM. To come in a little overbudget, around $500, but have a better CPU, slightly faster RAM and a better motherboard for PCIe 4 compatibility: a Ryzen 5600X, a b550 board and 16GB of 3600 CL16 RAM.

Go over. You’ll thank yourself later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thanks, folks!

Looking at PCParts picker doesn't seem to lead me anywhere useful, but newegg has:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 65W 100-100000065BOX Desktop Processor - 384.99
  • Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G36C16U4B (BLACK) - 86.99
  • ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard - 114.99
It's closer to $600 than $500, but I think I can stomach this if these are a good path. Does that look ok? What's the go-to CPU cooler? I know the 212 Evo was The poo poo when I originally built this thing (and ironically, I have another one ... woops), but assume it's not going to transfer over :D