Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Harlan Pepper as Unit 01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Incidentally, I just finished up a rewatch of the original series and had 100% forgotten that Kaworu is only in one episode. His brief presence makes his arc seem incredibly rushed, but on the other hand it does put into sharp relief just how pathetic and starved for affection Shinji is. One "I love you" from Kaworu and it's like they've been friends for years.

When I first watched it I felt like that went “Hi I’m Kaworu! Let’s be friends. Can I stick my hand down your pants? Oops, I’m the 17th Angel!” all in one breath.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
For as much of an impact as he leaves on both Shinji and the audience it's incredible that Kaworu has a grand total of under twelve minutes of screentime in a single episode of the show. Now that's efficiency!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
And a whole minute of that is silence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbN-dubqANU
There's a bonus easter egg hidden in this, see if you can spot it!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Well Manicured Man posted:

For as much of an impact as he leaves on both Shinji and the audience it's incredible that Kaworu has a grand total of under twelve minutes of screentime in a single episode of the show. Now that's efficiency!

imagine if Boba Fett had shared a brief moment of tenderness with Han Solo before falling into the Sarlacc

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ok Comboomer posted:

imagine if Boba Fett had shared a brief moment of tenderness with Han Solo before falling into the Sarlacc

What do you think "He's no good to me dead" and "Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold" were

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The original EoE dub sure was...something. Why the hell would they change the pronunciation of Eva/Evangelion?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The United States posted:

And a whole minute of that is silence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbN-dubqANU
There's a bonus easter egg hidden in this, see if you can spot it!
lol what the hell

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Pretty good posted:

lol what the hell

I know, did you realise that all this time there were eyes on the inside of Unit 01's palm and fingers?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TheKirbs posted:

I know, did you realise that all this time there were eyes on the inside of Unit 01's palm and fingers?

p sure that's Lilith's mask behind Kaworu

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

What do you think "He's no good to me dead" and "Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold" were

"He is not worthy of my grace if he is dead."

e: "Bring my shuttle"/"Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" vibes

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

copies of this used to be like ten bucks but lately they seem to have disappeared. you can still find the hardcover and other paperback cover versions, i recommend picking a cheap one up in "good" or "acceptable" quality cause the stories are very fun to read and worn old paperbacks are nice to hold and smell while u read to help your memory.

the cover is sort of a combination of the angel from title story the general zapped an angel where a guy that loves killing accidentally takes out an angel during the vietnam war and religious leaders argue over claiming ownership, and the well from the wound about using leftover nuclear bombs to excavate oil and pissing off the earth.

other good ones in it that are less eva related but still have a similar feeling are

the mouse about tiny aliens giving a mouse an advanced brain but he ends up hating other mice and wishing he could live w the aliens

the vision of milty boil about a landlord that ends up shrinking human height by making apartments progressively smaller

and the interval about a dying old guy selling his summer house and when he takes a plane back home the land rolls up beneath him like the earth was some old carpet being thrown away.

this howard fast cover is cool too, kinda like the graveyard of unit 00 heads

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Angel and Wound stories were both really good, thanks for sharing them.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Yknow now that I think about it it strikes me as odd that eva's mythology doesn't really consider earth itself as having any particular significance. There's some mild exploration of environmentalist ideas in second impact having hosed up the climate and sea levels, and things being considerably weirder and worse following the rebuild version of third impact, but generally, the physical world where all the action unfolds seems kind of... inert? It's something that even persists in the dubious extracanonical stuff about how earth just happened to be the one planet that accidentally received both seeds of life, like there's nothing in the metaphysics of the setting that makes it in any way special.

idk it's not like this is some grand insight or anything; like there's no doubt that it's always been a story about humans and humanity, but I think it's at least a little interesting that despite all of the deeply promethean themes there's barely anything in there about the implications of man's dominion over/custodianship of nature, or how to square those notions with our existence as a single component of a greater ecosystem.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Pretty good posted:

Yknow now that I think about it it strikes me as odd that eva's mythology doesn't really consider earth itself as having any particular significance. There's some mild exploration of environmentalist ideas in second impact having hosed up the climate and sea levels, and things being considerably weirder and worse following the rebuild version of third impact, but generally, the physical world where all the action unfolds seems kind of... inert? It's something that even persists in the dubious extracanonical stuff about how earth just happened to be the one planet that accidentally received both seeds of life, like there's nothing in the metaphysics of the setting that makes it in any way special.

idk it's not like this is some grand insight or anything; like there's no doubt that it's always been a story about humans and humanity, but I think it's at least a little interesting that despite all of the deeply promethean themes there's barely anything in there about the implications of man's dominion over/custodianship of nature, or how to square those notions with our existence as a single component of a greater ecosystem.

I think the first ten minutes of Rebuild 3.0 + 1.0 address this somewhat by letting the audience see the state of Paris and what WILLE is doing to try and repair damage on a more global scale when Evangelion has been so heavily focused on Japan. Seeing them finally go global in the final Rebuild movie is a really refreshing and exciting way to start the first ten minutes of the movie, in my opinion. Obviously this doesn't address your overall concern but makes me think that maybe they might tackle it in some way perhaps? It seems highly unlikely but I would be fascinated to see more of the world in the final Rebuild movie beyond just France and Japan. Considering how spectacular the environmental art in 3.0 is makes me even more eager to see what they could accomplish now.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The TV series presented what was basically a world of alienation and despair. Seems thematically appropriate that the environment was depicted as stagnant and distant, until the end where everyone is standing on top of a coral reef.

The rebuilds have a theme of restoration & rebirth. There’s more detail in the nature shots, plus the ocean terraforming center in 2.0. Then 3.0 gives us another global apocalypse but yeah then there’s the decorification of Paris in the 3.0+1.0 preview.

The core world, with its Eva-based ecology, is kind of a callback to Nausicaa. In that series, the corruption spread over the earth was actually a system for undoing the environmental damage done in humanity’s final apocalyptic war, so I guess I wouldn’t count out some kind of twist in 3+1 where wille’s mission of reclaiming the planet ends up being counterproductive or misguided in some way. Although there was more to it than that in Nausicaa, if I’m remembering it right.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ArqaApocrypha/status/1365075677163192320

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
https://twitter.com/evangelion_co/status/1365271590204702721

New release date for 3.0+1.0 is March 8th

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well that delay was a bit pointless

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Complying with the rules of a nationwide state of emergency is pretty pointless yeah

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The curfew hasn’t been rescinded yet.
Though yeah that’s unironically true considering the only regulation was don’t go out past 8.

Hell Demon Slayer was still making bank throughout.

It was a state of emergency only in the most technical sense

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 26, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

This movie is not released until I see the buffering circle on a shakycam upload.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

God help me I think I'm gonna watch a loving cam for the first time since the mid 2000s, my life is a joke

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pretty good posted:

God help me I think I'm gonna watch a loving cam for the first time since the mid 2000s, my life is a joke
agreedo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I didn't even think about the delay between theaters to like, a proper home release. Oh no.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

At least handheld video camera technology has progressed significantly since 3.0 came out.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Pretty good posted:

:(:hf::(

I justify it by telling myself that I've been good about avoiding all info about the film so far, I haven't even watched the ten-minute Paris preview

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
i guess there wont be an english subtitled release for a while?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Surprisingly Dope posted:

it was about a year till Rebuild 3.0 got subtitles and that was, like, as a special event at a con followed by a handful of showings in theaters

home release in the U.S. was four years after the Japanese theatrical debut

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Yeah unless they do some kind of simultaneous release it's going to be a while, even if there is a group ready to hop to it as soon as they possibly can get ahold of a digital copy or something.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I thought they had plans for a US theatrical release as well. Are those just scrapped all together?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it was about a year till Rebuild 3.0 got subtitles and that was, like, as a special event at a con followed by a handful of showings in theaters

home release in the U.S. was four years after the Japanese theatrical debut

Remember though that part of that was Khara being unhappy with the initial translation and demanding a line item veto on the subsequent attempt, avoiding that will shave at least a year off.

Robviously posted:

I thought they had plans for a US theatrical release as well. Are those just scrapped all together?

Who knows at this point.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Wasn't the original translation of 3.0 yanked bc it got shown to a con audience full of rowdy fans and some studio rep mistook their enthusiasm for mockery

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pretty good posted:

Wasn't the original translation of 3.0 yanked bc it got shown to a con audience full of rowdy fans and some studio rep mistook their enthusiasm for mockery

I was at Otakon when that happened and that’s the rumor I heard but I doubt we have any way to know if that’s what caused it. It was a pretty bad crowd even by anime con standards.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Anime Cons, not even once

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Weird. All the films I've seen at Cons were enthusiastic, but not the MST3k-fests that, say, Fist of the North Star or StrikeWitches invites.

I can't imagine someone in the crowd going "Get in the loving ROBOOOOOOOOT" without being torn to shreds.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Weird. All the films I've seen at Cons were enthusiastic, but not the MST3k-fests that, say, Fist of the North Star or StrikeWitches invites.

I can't imagine someone in the crowd going "Get in the loving ROBOOOOOOOOT" without being torn to shreds.

It was bad. Definitely there was a lot of performative gasping and WHAT THE loving at all the stuff in the first part of 3 since it was a very disorienting movie and nerds are especially prone to loudly sharing their reactions to media, but the audience basically lost their minds as soon as Kaworu showed up and never really got better. I don't precisely remember the differences between his lines in that version and his lines on the BR disc, but there was somewhat more innuendo in the initial version and the crowd basically hooted and laughed raucously anytime he was on the screen and never really did settle down for the rest of the movie. It didn't seem like anyone was giving it the MST3K treatment, but the nonstop cackling and noise was really irritating. Someone else wrote a huge post about their recollection of the same showing a couple of years ago here that is consistent with what I remember. I've been to some other screenings and premieres and yeah, con crowds are a boisterous lot but this one seemed like the room just got stuck in some weird feedback loop. I went to see the limited theatrical release a few weeks later and while it was an enthusiastic room and there were some chuckles at the more blatant lines, it was nowhere near as bad as Otakon. If for no reason other than it was a much smaller venue.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah sounds like generic anime high school club but like add 10-20 years of age or whatever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah sounds like generic anime high school club but like add 10-20 years of age or whatever.

And 100 times the size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
maybe you had to be there but cracking up (or for that matter, unironically cheering) at some of the Shinji / Kaworu stuff in 3.0 sounds like an entirely appropriate response to me