Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Fermented Tinal posted:

A lot of us have also seen this sort of thing done right. cursedshitbox literally lives in a box on the back of a truck. He has a very detailed thread about it in AI.

Can you post a link to this thread, I didn't see it in the first 7 pages of AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

koshmar posted:

Can you post a link to this thread, I didn't see it in the first 7 pages of AI.

It’s so good. Here’s the truck thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783526
And here’s the camper thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920457

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There are entirely too many power tools and safe wiring, wrenching, welding, lifting etc. practices being used in CSB threads. Thumbs down.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Why not jack the truck up with a bouncy castle? That way when the spring explodes it simply bounces back into place.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

N17R4M posted:

In the town where Ry is parked,
Lives a man who sailed a lake,
and he told us of his life,
in the land of timber johns.

So we parked out in the sun,
when we found the sea of pee,
And Ry lived beneath the waves,
in a Ford E350.

:grovertruk:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

serious gaylord posted:

Why not jack the truck up with a bouncy castle? That way when the spring explodes it simply bounces back into place.

Or just sell the truck and live in a bouncy castle.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bogus Adventure posted:

You're about to have a new homegrown story for the GBS gore thread

I hope not, but I'm not the arbiter of choice when it comes to self harm anyway.

I stand by my "pay dude to do it"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Or just sell the truck and live in a bouncy castle.

the fan is obviously too noisy

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Read these threads, enjoy them, marvel at the skill on display.

Don’t take away: “that doesn’t seem too hard”
Take away: “that’s what literally decades of experience - that I don’t have - gets you.”

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

Read these threads, enjoy them, marvel at the skill on display.

Don’t take away: “that doesn’t seem too hard”
Take away: “that’s what literally decades of experience - that I don’t have - gets you.”

Ah, but Ry knows the One Weird Trick, that CSB obviously doesn't.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What makes things hard in my opinion is people being in a rush to do things because they have to meet deadlines. Another thing I've learned over the years is that analysis paralysis is the biggest killer of any dream. If I just keep on doing the same things over and over....and maybe even harder or with more ropes...and watching more youtube videos I'll eventually figure it all out.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Dang I am stunned by the attention to detail of the camper restoration

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Motronic posted:

What makes things hard in my opinion is people being in a rush to do things because they have to meet deadlines. Another thing I've learned over the years is that analysis paralysis is the biggest killer of any dream. If I just keep on doing the same things over and over....and maybe even harder or with more ropes...and watching more youtube videos I'll eventually figure it all out. Poo

It's entirely possible for people to do. At the same time, this guy is close to witless and is absolutely intent on going about everything as inefficiently as possible.

He has the hamartia and lack of practical knowledge you typically see with a newly graduated architect or engineer or greenhorn butter bar. He's astoundingly ill prepared for the scope and magnitude of the job he wants to take on, and that's also fine. He just doesn't strike me as someone who is going to be able to get out of his own way long enough to accomplish even finishing the truck, let alone develop a property

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This thread was a lot of fun before people decided to endlessly wet blanket all over it

OP, repost the thread in GBS so people can watch the insanity of you building a fire pit in a truck instead of having posters endlessly arguing about the proper jib cuts and torque wrenches or whatever the hell they are always on about

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry you want to see OP die.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Funs fun, but we’re not here to watch OP suffocate or get crushed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Funs fun, but we’re not here to watch OP suffocate or get crushed.

That's on our onlyfans.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

StarkRavingMad posted:

This thread was a lot of fun before people decided to endlessly wet blanket all over it

OP, repost the thread in GBS so people can watch the insanity of you building a fire pit in a truck instead of having posters endlessly arguing about the proper jib cuts and torque wrenches or whatever the hell they are always on about

Look. I have plenty of madness to go around. The MurderHaus will still happen. Maybe just not on that particular land. And probably not until next year.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Rytheric posted:

Look. I have plenty of madness to go around. The MurderHaus will still happen. Maybe just not on that particular land. And probably not until next year.

First smart thing I’ve seen in this thread. Now sell the telescope and buy a clapped out RV for 2 grand and live in that! :v:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I side with the wet blankets. The thread went from mind-blowingly godlike to me getting a cold sweat when I see new posts.

which is to say

Jinkies! What a thread!

But seriously, don't hurt yourself OP, listen to these guys

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

Sorry to have ruined your snuff fetish.

I've seen enough near fatal incidents for one short lifetime. There's no reason for someone to undergo life changing or even ending injuries for the hahas of a dead gay comedy forum.

First smart thing I’ve seen in this thread. Now sell the telescope and buy a clapped out RV for 2 grand and live in that! :v:

jyessssss Old ambo/classB/classC.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Sorry. The madness will continue with the GroverTruk and the telescope. Perhaps I will take some astrophotographs from the telescope off the back of my GroverPorch.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Kaysette posted:

eagerly awaiting the Car Guy report on those pics :f5:

Me too. I think exploding springs distracted from the analysis of the suspension.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Me too. I think exploding springs distracted from the analysis of the suspension.

The analysis of the suspension is: will cost more to make right than the truck is worth.

See a theme here?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

schmug posted:

Plus gently caress all that! Where is my chisel plywood cutting video!?!?!?!

This may get pushed to next weekend. Don't worry it will happen. I have to make up time at work this weekend because I got distracted by the land owner's shenanigans.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

If you are dead-set on living in a mid-90s econoline, buy one in better condition, it will cost less than fixing this one.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

The analysis of the suspension is: will cost more to make right than the truck is worth.

Oh I already know that. I just don't care. The truck is priceless to me. At least until it finally craps out then I will buy a newer used one. But even then. The engine is cheap.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rytheric posted:

Shits hosed, buy a g20 conversion van with an awning instead. :sickos:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Oh I already know that. I just don't care. The truck is priceless to me. At least until it finally craps out then I will buy a newer used one. But even then. The engine is cheap.

This is why you won't be able to accomplish the things you want in life: you lack the ability to critically think about....well, anything based on what we've seen so far.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Why is it priceless?

Did you steal it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Why is it priceless?

Did you steal it?

One Truk to rule them all, One Truk to find them, One Truk to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The rapid-fire title changes inspired me to get caught up on this thread and wow. Wow.

Ry, I’m also a figure-it-out myself guy. That’s how I learned how to sail: I bought a lovely one on eBay, never having been on a sailboat before. How hard can it be? 10ish years later I’m a sailboat captain for my job, it’s rad.

I also have a tendency to start a lot more projects than I finish. And it can become pretty difficult to keep a lot of balls in the air, let alone when those balls are ‘my van house’ and ‘entertaining goons on the internet’.

It seems like you’re starting to cotton to the idea that this land is more trouble than it’s worth, and at the very least there are a lot of questions that need to be answered before you sign anything binding or spend another dollar on it. Having a professional guide you is also a good idea, whether it’s a licensed broker (not affiliated with the seller/owner/?????) or a real estate attorney. As you have found out, it’s a long, complicated process when it goes perfectly. And that’s frustrating when you’re ready to start digging/chiseling/timbershitting. I get it. But there’s no good way around it, so the word of the day is acceptance.

That also applies to Motronic, CSB, and all the other Angsty Dads of the thread. They see a mismatch with your goals and the unavoidable reality of what it takes to meet those goals in a way that you don’t, and it can be hard to accept their advice. But it’s valuable man.

It doesn’t look like that van is garbage to me, the suspension is probably clapped out but if you’re gonna make a grovertruk out of it then have it fixed up. Extending the exhaust from the muffler to one of the sides is trivial, like an hour and $100 at a muffler shop. If you’re going to idle the truck to charge the batteries you should do that so you’re not filling your box with co2. That’s what the fire pit is for.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Anal-ysis in bold.

Rytheric posted:

And now we peer into the dark, mysterious recesses of the GroverTruk underbelly. Timg-ed for your pleasure.

Spring pack isolators are healthy looking. Bushing in the eyelet where the mount to frame is off center, suggest new bushings on the springs. Replace the shock.

Ujoints and slip yoke look dry. Grease those. Center support bearing looks pretty crusty but can be ignored for now.

The inner Twin Traction Beam to cross member bushings suck to replace, farm that out. Shock bushing is shot, replace both shocks. The spring can be ignored

Better view of the lovely shock bush. Again replace both. Not pictured is the radius arm to frame bushing. Farm that out with the ttb-pivot bushing. They too suck to replace in the field.

Now. To align ttb takes some wizardry and a little witchcraft. With old parts its almost impossible to get them setup perfect so that they don't eat tires.
Ball joints, Tie rod ends, the previously mentioned pivot and radius arm bushings are the minimum. Front sway bushings optional though recommended.
Rear axle: shocks, shackle bushings, leaf pack bushings, and sway bar bushings will get that up to servicable condition. Bonus is to re-arch those springs, If you're gonna go that far, stick new front coil springs in. SD Truck Spring has good deals on springs.

It is safe to do shocks and sway bar bushings on this vehicle with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension. E: wheels installed and on the ground. Expect the shock uppers to fight you. Bring heat (torch), a sawzall (to cut the shaft), and vise-grips to clamp onto the shock shaft. Cut the plastic dust cover off and clamp onto it. Hit the upper shock nut with a ton of penetrant and go to town.

Cost to farm this out? expect a minimum a grand or a few to get the suspension sitting pretty and up to snuff. Have the rear differential serviced while they're in there. Is it worth it? ehhhh 351(5.8L)/460(7.5L) powered box trucks aren't terribly desirable.
This is a nearly 30 year old fleet(Pre-97 dash) vehicle that has clearly spent some time sitting and longer time without fleet service. It will cost $$$$ to get it back up and running as good as it once was.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 28, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

cursedshitbox posted:

Anal-ysis in bold.

Now. To align ttb takes some wizardry and a little witchcraft. With old parts its almost impossible to get them setup perfect so that they don't eat tires.
Ball joints, Tie rod ends, the previously mentioned pivot and radius arm bushings are the minimum. Front sway bushings optional though recommended.
Rear axle: shocks, shackle bushings, leaf pack bushings, and sway bar bushings will get that up to servicable condition. Bonus is to re-arch those springs, If you're gonna go that far, stick new front coil springs in. SD Truck Spring has good deals on springs.

It is safe to do shocks and sway bar bushings on this vehicle with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension. E: wheels installed and on the ground. Expect the shock uppers to fight you. Bring heat (torch), a sawzall (to cut the shaft), and vise-grips to clamp onto the shock shaft. Cut the plastic dust cover off and clamp onto it. Hit the upper shock nut with a ton of penetrant and go to town.

Cost to farm this out? expect a minimum a grand or a few to get the suspension sitting pretty and up to snuff. Have the rear differential serviced while they're in there. Is it worth it? ehhhh 351(5.8L)/460(7.5L) powered box trucks aren't terribly desirable.
This is a nearly 30 year old fleet(Pre-97 dash) vehicle that has clearly spent some time sitting and longer time without fleet service. It will cost $$$$ to get it back up and running as good as it once was.

Thank you. I was expecting to spend 3-4 grand. I may have been going all spendthrift but I priced everything from rock out including brakes and calipers at $2000 and I figure half to the same amount in labor if I sent it to be worked on.

Edit: problem is. How am I supposed to entertain these fine people while it's in the shop? Lol

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Build ModelMurderHaus while the truck's becoming less of a firehazard at a mechanic.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya and find your chisels.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Big Taint posted:

Ya and find your chisels.

I just realized my sharpening stones are missing too. One of my bosses sons bought a dovetail jig. I wonder I let them borrow it or if they thought they were their dads tools and took them. I might just end up buying a new set. I need to get timber framing chisels anyway.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Excellent work is the most entertaining thing imaginable

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Sorry. The madness will continue with the GroverTruk and the telescope. Perhaps I will take some astrophotographs from the telescope off the back of my GroverPorch.

You won't get good photos from a telescope on the back of a truck. You need rock-solid footing for the hopefully really solid tripod you have on your (long, wobbly because of long) telescope in order to do long-exposure photography with it. This is also why some rickety tower is going to be super terrible for an observatory.

e. Also you probably wanted to own the land, and then build the observatory, and then buy the telescope. With money you didn't borrow from your retirement funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Leperflesh posted:

You won't get good photos from a telescope on the back of a truck. You need rock-solid footing for the hopefully really solid tripod you have on your (long, wobbly because of long) telescope in order to do long-exposure photography with it. This is also why some rickety tower is going to be super terrible for an observatory.

e. Also you probably wanted to own the land, and then build the observatory, and then buy the telescope. With money you didn't borrow from your retirement funds.

Yeah the tripod that came with it is pretty sturdy and worth more than the optical tube assembly itself. Weighs over 60lbs. My concern with the box is that it likely won't be level enough to use the motorized system, not that I intended to use it anyway until later on. Most I've seen on youtube mount the motorized section to a concrete peir.

Still I like the vision of having the chair and telescope situated in the back of GroverTruk after I've put away the firepit for the night