Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Brennanite posted:

Sorry? (I don't think you've actually served me, but just in case.) I assume the bartender doesn't know my personal preference and that's why I say "not too sweet." If there's a more polite way to convey preferences, please let me know.

The point I'm trying to make is that "too sweet" is completely subjective and saying it tells me absolutely nothing other than that you're going to be difficult to please. All you're saying is "make me [x] and don't make it in a way that I won't like".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

QuantumNinja posted:

I've never had a good Blood and Sand at a bar, and have seen a shocking number made with normal orange juice, which I'd agree are truly awful. But if you get a nice mid-range scotch and juice the blood oranges yourself, it's an awesome cocktail. :colbert:

The original recipe calls for orange juice. Blood orange juice is sweeter than orange juice. It’s an awful drink regardless. :c00lbert:

quote:

He asked for ones without added sugar, those are ones without added sugar.

That’s fair. If you don’t think adding ginger beer counts as “added sugar” then we fundamentally disagree. Most of the others are fine, but it really highlights the crux of this issue: sweet vermouth and Campari are “sweet” ingredients. Tonic water might be bitter, but it has a high sugar content. I think of drinks like old fashioneds and martinis if somebody requests something not too sweet.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The Maestro posted:

That’s fair. If you don’t think adding ginger beer counts as “added sugar” then we fundamentally disagree. Most of the others are fine, but it really highlights the crux of this issue: sweet vermouth and Campari are “sweet” ingredients. Tonic water might be bitter, but it has a high sugar content. I think of drinks like old fashioneds and martinis if somebody requests something not too sweet.

Yeah my goal wasn't "no sweetness", it was a list of cocktails that, by the nature of their ingredients, have a controlled amount of sugar. It's unlikely even a bad bartender is going to add extra sweet vermouth or campari, comparatively, versus the sugar-fueled hell that is an Applebee's "margarita."

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
gas

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Brennanite, in terms of fixing your pomelo mojito, make yourself a simple syrup and just try different amounts of simple to balance the pomelo juice itself. It’s gonna take a lot of sugar, but also try adding a little salt or lime to the mix. Your goal isn’t to make it sweet like apple juice, just to make the bitterness fade and not be so prominent. Once you’ve gotten a palatable juice, then try the cocktail. You will still have to adjust sugar to taste after adding the other ingredients, but starting with a good base flavor is your best bet without wasting a bunch of booze.

Mojitos are easy to wing because anyone who makes cocktails is familiar with how much sugar it takes to balance out lime, even with fruit to fruit differences.

Everyone is jumping on you because “Not too sweet” is something that all of us have heard from a dickhole who thinks they can get extra liquor that way or is going to return 3 drinks that don’t have any sweetener in them because he wants to wave his dick around at the servants.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

In my heart I knew where that was going before I opened the link, Cleaver is also the tops.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Hutla posted:

Brennanite, in terms of fixing your pomelo mojito, make yourself a simple syrup and just try different amounts of simple to balance the pomelo juice itself. It’s gonna take a lot of sugar, but also try adding a little salt or lime to the mix. Your goal isn’t to make it sweet like apple juice, just to make the bitterness fade and not be so prominent. Once you’ve gotten a palatable juice, then try the cocktail. You will still have to adjust sugar to taste after adding the other ingredients, but starting with a good base flavor is your best bet without wasting a bunch of booze.

Mojitos are easy to wing because anyone who makes cocktails is familiar with how much sugar it takes to balance out lime, even with fruit to fruit differences.

Everyone is jumping on you because “Not too sweet” is something that all of us have heard from a dickhole who thinks they can get extra liquor that way or is going to return 3 drinks that don’t have any sweetener in them because he wants to wave his dick around at the servants.

This is very helpful, thank you. :tipshat: I can assure you I have no interest in extra liquor or being a dick to anyone. As a good Midwestern woman, I would rather drink in quiet disappointment than send a drink back and make someone feel bad.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Brennanite posted:

This is very helpful, thank you. :tipshat: I can assure you I have no interest in extra liquor or being a dick to anyone. As a good Midwestern woman, I would rather drink in quiet disappointment than send a drink back and make someone feel bad.

Speaking personally, I’d rather you let me know I didn’t get it right. We’re not miracle workers and aren’t going to nail everyone’s palate on the first try. Maybe try giving a couple things you do like. I used to get citrus forward and mezcal fairly often. So something like an infante riff. Mezcal, lime, orgeat with some chocolate or mole bitters and some grated cinnamon. Boom super tasty beverage.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Made a Yellow Submarine from the Total Tiki app and it is good as hell.

1 1/2 oz pineapple juice
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/4 oz creme de banana
1/4 oz white creme de cacao
1/4 oz sugar syrup
1 1/2 oz gold virgin islands rum (I used Plantation 3 Star.)

Shake with ice cubes, pour unstrained into glass and add more ice to fill.

The Tempus Fugit creme de cacao and creme de banana are amazing, especially the banana. I'm surprised the flavors for those come through so well but I guess a little goes a long way.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Brennanite posted:

As a good Midwestern woman, I would rather drink in quiet disappointment than send a drink back and make someone feel bad.

This is... unhelpful, again. It is my job to make you something you like, that you want to pay the bar money for, and tip me for so I can pay rent and feed my cats. If you were paying a contractor to redo your kitchen you wouldn't hold your tongue if the tile was uneven, right? You are paying for a service. It doesn't make you a better person to avoid conflict.

Sorry if I seem like I'm jumping down your throat about this, I deal with this stuff all the time and of course it's never tactful in the moment to tell guests how to better handle the situation, so this is a rare opportunity to hopefully make your next experience at a bar more enjoyable for all parties involved.

Another angle of the "not too sweet" thing that I've experienced is diet freaks who hate any amount of sugar at all. I used to work at a rum-centric bar and the amount of people who believe that rum is inherently sweeter than other spirits is enormous. I have had to talk several people down from hysterics about us daring to put two teaspoons of caster sugar in our daiquiri. I remember one woman whom I was assuring that we use as little sugar as possible to make drinks taste balanced (and that's true, the bar manager had like the opposite of a sweet tooth and loved dry tiki cocktails). I told her "of course we have to put a little sugar in there, a margarita of just tequila and lime juice wouldn't taste good" and she said "mmm, agree to disagree". I try not to be sanctimonious or prescriptivist about stuff but I sincerely feel that someone should enter the homes of these people and slap the shaker tins out of their hands.

e: ^^^That sounds great! If you find yourself enjoying creme de banana, Bananavardiers had a bit of a moment a couple years ago and are very worth trying. Make yourself a standard Boulevardier and add a quarter ounce of banana. Does crazy poo poo with the Campari.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bloody ghost titty posted:

In my heart I knew where that was going before I opened the link, Cleaver is also the tops.

Cleaver was my wife and I's regular Friday night until lockdown came. I can't wait until they're fully open again.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Brennanite posted:

Gentle goons, I tried to make a pomelo mojito using the following recipe:

2 tbsp pomelo juice (fresh)
4 tbsp white rum
handful of mint (~10 leaves)
2 tsp ultra-fine sugar
club soda

It was awful. The bitterness of the pomelo overwhelmed all the other flavors. Even after I added another tsp of sugar, the bitterness still created a powerful and unpleasant aftertaste. What did I do wrong? I don't like overly sweet cocktails. (My exact order to the bartender includes the words "not too sweet," regardless of what I'm ordering just to be clear.)

Am I just not meant to make mojitos at home? They seem so easy on paper.

It might change the drink too much for you, but you could try losing the club soda, fresh juice, and sugar and use grapefruit soda instead (Squirt, Jarritos), or mixing the grapefruit and club sodas if straight soda is too sweet for you. IE a Rum paloma.

Also, every bartender has their own hang-ups and ideas about what makes the perfect customer and it's pointless trying to fit into every idea of what that might be. If you're polite, tip adequately, and aren't overly demanding, that's plenty. There's always going to be someone rolling their eyes because you're "doing it wrong" or whatever.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

It’s an awful drink regardless. :c00lbert:.

It's this. The Blood and Sand is clearly missing something lost to time -- the most likely culprit being that the blood oranges we consume now are a bastardized shipping-container-friendly version of whatever they were using back then.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I had a blood and sand once that wasn't bad, I think they used acidulated orange juice in it though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The answer is to make it with Tang.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
To get a good Blood & Sand you need to specify that you want it not too sweet

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
And you can only get it from a specific steakhouse in vegas

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I too love it when people working in hospitality aren't hospitable, god help you if you don't know much about cocktails and make a request

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yes, griping about a pet peeve in the industry is the same as being hostile to a guest

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yes, griping about a pet peeve in the industry is the same as being hostile to a guest

i still refuse to believe that anybody has it so good that somebody wanting a drink "not too sweet" is in their top 20 pet peeves

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

To get a good Blood & Sand you need to specify that you want it not too sweet

I think this thread and most cocktail bartenders have had every spec of a blood and sand that can be, and it's pretty universally regarded as bad. It's not a spec that's lost to time or anything. We know what it's supposed to be, AND we've all tried basically every different spec for it. It's not really good in any format, even in specs that cut the sweet stuff.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

eSports Chaebol posted:

i still refuse to believe that anybody has it so good that somebody wanting a drink "not too sweet" is in their top 20 pet peeves

Why, there are bartenders stuck with Taaka in Africa :rolleyes:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
[Looks around the bar] Not very busy tonight, is it? What’s that for? Spicy margaritas? [Dips finger into salt bowl] Oh, just surprise me with something. I trust you. And if you wanna sneak an extra shot in there, haha. Oh are those cherries? Can I have a couple? Hey do you know what a Moscow Mule is? Do you have the copper mugs? Well then it’s not a real Moscow Mule, is it, haha. You go to school here? Oh you graduated, congratulations. You ever wish you picked a more meaningful career path?

Hey yea the drinks ok just not really what I was looking for. Don’t worry, I’ll drink it and pay for it. How about a vodka martini, extra extra dry, extra olives, and no I don’t care, just your well is fine. You ever have that [drink] over at [bar]? So good. Could you make one of those? No I don’t want one now, just asking if you knew how.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How dare you not enjoy every second of that interaction, they are a PAYING CUSTOMER

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
This thread is like what people think sommeliers are like except unironic

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Listen, man, everyone who still even has a job has nothing but That Guy for customers right now, because all the good, normal people who usually balance That Guy out are staying the gently caress home since they actually care whether other people live or die. Everyone is on edge and she accidentally waved a big red flag for “incoming rear end in a top hat”. Hopefully she learned how to balance her drink a little better or made the great decision to go full paloma, real or trash version.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Palomas are gross

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I’m probably resentful because where I work, all the drinks (yes the Paloma too) are in fact too sweet

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Palomas are gross

Besides a paloma, what are you supposed to drink at the swim up bar?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Banana daiquiri

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The last time I was at the swim up bar I drank daiquiris until I realized nobody had left the swim up bar for any reason for way too long and then I took an hour long shower.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Decided to try and mess around with making something smoky and spicy and tequila-ey.

This is what I've got so far.

It wasn't too bad! Very savoury, and you can kick that higher by having a drink through the salt if you prefer (I recommend your first taste like that, with the tabasco floating on top, to get the real character of this.)

I don't have any proper smoky mezcal in stock at the moment, so I, well, substituted for the most peaty whisky in my collection. I actually quite like it like that.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hutla posted:

Listen, man, everyone who still even has a job has nothing but That Guy for customers right now, because all the good, normal people who usually balance That Guy out are staying the gently caress home since they actually care whether other people live or die. Everyone is on edge and she accidentally waved a big red flag for “incoming rear end in a top hat”. Hopefully she learned how to balance her drink a little better or made the great decision to go full paloma, real or trash version.

I have two regulars right now, one of whom drinks a French Connection and the other drinks Remy neat and I'm so happy to have them :unsmith:

eSports Chaebol posted:

I think you're underestimating how often that is said to a bartender in the fancy cocktail bar world. I've worked at bars where I would wager that 7/10 customers use that as their starting point for the bespoke drink they want you to make and require further prompting for any information more helpful than that. At one bar we had an under-bar bingo sheet for "things customers say constantly" that we'd break out on Friday/Saturday nights and "Not Too Sweet" was on it. It made us laugh throughout the night.

I don't think it matters if you're a bartender or a construction worker or a call center employee or a middle manager and Bear and Fuckhoff - Anything you hear that frequently that doesn't actually help you will wear you down and strike a nerve as time goes on. Expressing resentment towards it away from the guest doesn't make you a smug rear end in a top hat it just makes you a normal person. Nobody's calling Suzy Q a bitch or jerk for not wanting something not too sweet, but it's possible to be frustrated that Suzy gave you the same unhelpful starting point as the last 5 guests you spoke to. Every single industry has some equivalent. Are retail store workers assholes for getting silently annoyed when someone hits them with the "If it's not in the computer it's free, right?" Hospitality Employees are no different, they aren't automatons that can somehow shut off their range of emotions and Not Get Annoyed By Anything Ever. It's how you handle it in front of the guest that matters, whether you've chosen Hospitality as a lifelong career or not.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 1, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's similar to how in the culinary world, it is astonishing how many people are "allergic to onions". Yes, some people are, but many people are just big babies that don't like seeing onion in their food. It's annoying and makes you shake your head and talk poo poo with other chefs, but you don't spit in the food and be rude to the guest over it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's this. The Blood and Sand is clearly missing something lost to time -- the most likely culprit being that the blood oranges we consume now are a bastardized shipping-container-friendly version of whatever they were using back then.

With Camper English’s latest article about compounded grenadine versus pomegranate syrup, I suspect it may be both the orange juice (which should be sour and squeezed to order), and the sweetener.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also bartender pet peeves: "What's the best drink here?" or "What's your favorite drink?" when unsure about what to get. I've heard someone use both in a row.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What does a bartender like to hear? Because then that's what I'll order.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

Also bartender pet peeves: "What's the best drink here?" or "What's your favorite drink?" when unsure about what to get. I've heard someone use both in a row.

Why not just make them your favorite drink then? Seems like they're making it pretty easy for you asking that unless you like something weird that everyone else hates.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

I'm choosing to read this menu as saying I can pay 3.75 to have a marshmallow crust added to any dish, and I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

Why not just make them your favorite drink then? Seems like they're making it pretty easy for you asking that unless you like something weird that everyone else hates.

Not a whole lotta customers are gonna expect or want a Hamm's/high life/other lovely beer and a shot of fernet :v: