Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Don't forget that Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is also a Persona game, despite having virtually nothing to do with either of the series that are crossing over in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

you really should, and i've talked a lot of poo poo about P5 but it's still a good game. plus if you enjoyed it that much you're gonna love the older games

that said i would strongly suggest P4 Golden since it also has the qol updates that 5 has. 3 might be rough to go back to since you don't have full control over your party members.. the PSP version fixes that, but who owns a psp? lol

I played the PSP version of 3 and I can’t imagine not being able to control party members lol.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
4G is godlike and now it's on Steam.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ots fuckin dumb they havent released p3p anywhere else

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I played the PSP version of 3 and I can’t imagine not being able to control party members lol.

It just means you have to change your party member's tactics to "Do nothing" approximately 500 times during the final boss whenever they use the barrier that instantly kills you if you touch it. It's no big deal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't really mind not having direct party control in P3 if only for the novelty. The PS2 version gives you enough tactics options eventually that you still have some control and the game is balanced around it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playing DQ1 again and it's still such a perfectly made little adventure. also picked up 2 and 3 on switch, I've never actually finished either before, 2 I've barely ever played and 3 I've started a half dozen times and had fun but it was always the phone version and I hate playing real games on a phone.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Harrow posted:

I didn't really mind not having direct party control in P3 if only for the novelty. The PS2 version gives you enough tactics options eventually that you still have some control and the game is balanced around it

I was way more annoyed at having a Wait command instead of Defend, tbh.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In Training posted:

Playing DQ1 again and it's still such a perfectly made little adventure. also picked up 2 and 3 on switch, I've never actually finished either before, 2 I've barely ever played and 3 I've started a half dozen times and had fun but it was always the phone version and I hate playing real games on a phone.

You spend most of your time in DQ1 grinding for exp/gold but it feels good to move on to the next area and see what new monsters and palette swaps await. Crossing a bridge and the werewolves are yellow instead of blue? You know you're heading in the right direction.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dragon Warrior was one of the dozen or so NES games we owned and although I was like 7 years old and couldn't really understand what was going on I had that exact same experience. I don't think I understood the concept of leveling up, so I would just start the game and see how far away from the starting town I could walk before the enemies bodied me, taking note of all the scary new monsters I'd meet along the way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the nice thing about DQ1 is you can knock it out in like an afternoon. I love 3 to death but I usually quit in the underworld, the overworld content just feels so much better, as fun as it is to fight an army of goopis and titans. the one I really need to beat again is 2, though, I haven't actually finished it since I was like 8 years old and I don't remember how it ends.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Harrow posted:

this, tbh. you eventually unlock enough commands for your party members that it essentially becomes a weird proto FF13 lol

i get why ppl would hate it, but i never had much bad luck with it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P_K2JCvRLU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
persona 3 ftw. cant wait to start bravely 2 tomorrow too. drat its good to be an rpg gamer

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

the only really bad thing your party members do in p3 is occasionally use a single heal when a multiheal would be better

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

P4 Golden is really good. I only played the PSP version of P3 and it was really good, but I do want to try out running around in 3d since it's a really comfy part of Persona. The map isn't that great. I should try out the original one day, I hope the lack of control isn't that bad.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it’s one of those things that’s been exaggerated over the years. it can be frustrating if it causes you to wipe, obviously, but it’s not as bad as you’d think

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bolverkur posted:

P4 Golden is really good. I only played the PSP version of P3 and it was really good, but I do want to try out running around in 3d since it's a really comfy part of Persona. The map isn't that great. I should try out the original one day, I hope the lack of control isn't that bad.

Oh yeah I forgot about the map thing, that kinda sucks. Running around the dorm is one of my favorite gaming memories of all time

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about the map thing, that kinda sucks. Running around the dorm is one of my favorite gaming memories of all time

I feel like I missed out of a good part of the game because of that but that just makes me hyped for a second playthrough.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i like not running around on the map since they're all 1 brown area in p3

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
also the male mc in persona 3 is a serial killer and the female mc is 100x better since you get to have an s-link with the best persona character, aka koromaru the dog

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Beat the last boss of the p5 main content. Seems like the Royale stuff just continues basically unceremoniously. I wanted to see the original ending...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How long is the Royale content? Is it like a normal palace with the social setup and then a big dungeon or???

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How long is the Royale content? Is it like a normal palace with the social setup and then a big dungeon or???

Yeah, longer dungeon than usual but it's one month's worth of stuff

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in bd2 there was a weird enemy off the side of the starting beach and as I approached it I got a popup about rare, special enemies i might not be ready for

I went into the fight and it had 58,000 HP and oneshot my entire party

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

in bd2 there was a weird enemy off the side of the starting beach and as I approached it I got a popup about rare, special enemies i might not be ready for

I went into the fight and it had 58,000 HP and oneshot my entire party

lmfao i just did that too. fuckin lizard obliterated me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

lmfao i just did that too. fuckin lizard obliterated me

sincerely love this kind of poo poo lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bravely Default 2 is really good and I'm glad I got it even though I was iffy on the demo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm not very far in at all but man, the items you get from cutting grass seem nuts. like 2/3 of my gear came from cutting grass on the overworld

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

the Forage skill is also very strong, just foraging like crazy while a weak enemy fails to hurt you can get you tons of great stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DQ2 is pretty sweet...gathered the royal squad together and its off to find a Key.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

also thats cool about bd2, cant wait to play it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ah, I see. Bravely Default 2 has a cross between Reversi and Triple Triad

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Ah, I see. Bravely Default 2 has a cross between Reversi and Triple Triad

hell YES. are there any rewards for doing it

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

started bravely 2 tonight and its exactly what i wanted

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i appreciate that they continued the legacy of weird sleep mode features even if this one isnt super interactive

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

My big rear end gaming grips for the Nintendo Switch will be arriving today for more Xenoblade 2 gaming. Comes with game cartridge holsters as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xenoblade 2 combat is fun as hell and just keeps getting better the farther in the game you get

By the end I was re-fighting superbosses just for fun because it was so satisfying to put together huge combos and explode them

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

xenoblade 2 is a lot of fun and I am waiting for a switch accessory to match the handy boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bd2 kicks rear end! almost got my butt handed to me by the first boss lol, this games way tougher than i thought it'd be