Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Big Taint posted:

Sounds more like the PO had a pretty lackadaisical attitude toward truk maintenance, not that they were part of an underground commercial vehicle racing scene. #1 on the punch list is still ‘go to a muffler shop’.

This is a truck that was used by a commercial business for commercial purposes. The minimum amount of maintenance to keep it running as reliably and cheaply as possible was done (this is a good thing) up until doing that maintenance and repair was economically unviable at which point this thing that was not worth scrap value because it would cost too much to repair properly, and was sold to a sucker who didn't know that. Who then sold it to the OP presumably after realizing it was a lost cause and that buying something slight more expensive in better shape was 3x cheaper than fixing this box truck, which we've already covered was unloaded by a business that knows how to run a fleet and has access to cheaper parts and labor than the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Know when CO is more likely to be produced from exhaust?

When your vehicle has issues with combustion which might be happening if like let's say your vehicle has issues with stalling or it's just idling after starting and the catalytic converter isn't warmed up enough to burn up any byproducts of incomplete combustion

Edit: It's not loving cookie monster sometimes snack it's happening all the drat time in your truck when you're letting it idle to charge your batteries for your wall sconces and toilet eve.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 2, 2021

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

I meant one is more likely to happen. Co is like a sometimes snack that happens while co2 will always happen. That's why I'm less concerned about it. Why would I worry about a gas that is only sometimes produced when I rarely run the engine while im inside. That makes the chances of it being an issue rather slim in my mind. Like less than a handful of chances per winter. Perhaps I'm over analyzing it though. Regardless I will restore the exhaust to start going out the side at the rear like it did initially.

:cripes:

You're a loving idiot. I have tried not to be mean, but at this point I'm not sure what else to stay in response to this.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Yeah if you’re really out for Forums Klout, an old ambulance will be an endless source of posting gold and you won’t die in your sleep!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Okay, one more because you’ve got a sixer and are probably rage reading:

A year or so ago I decided to learn how to paint via YouTube. It looked easy and I thought I’d have it down in no time. Turns out it was way harder than it looked and I am way worse than I thought I’d be - and that’s just painting. I won’t die if I screw it up. Please take a moment and think “all these people whose jobs and hobbies revolve around vehicles are telling me that I’m not right and should get these things fixed - or better yet get a new vehicle and start over - might have some good ideas”

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
I hate to bring up these two things and they will probably be ignored but hey:

1. You can build an extension off of your existing exhaust with a visit to the auto parts store and 50-100 in materials. It will take you a few hours but if you want to DIY something you could do that. don't forget to use clamps and sealant though, or you'll just be moving your leak a few feet down the body of grovertruk. That would be a no weld solution that would last you a few years or so.

2. From what you have said in this thread, and what I know about bosses, stop listening to yours for financial advice, and honestly I would make moves to live anywhere else. He does not have your best interests in mind, he has his best interests and his bank accounts in mind.The concerns of a paper millionaire are different than yours, and will be for some time. I get the feeling he is like half listening to the things you say, and its a bad idea to mix your source of income with your residence. Would having to pay more for a different living arrangement be a bit of a burden while saving? Yes it would, but the feeling of having a place that is truly your own home rather than living in your boss' guest room or sleeping in an unfinished box truck would help you gain a bit of a stable baseline, and would help you plan out your property purchase more. Your boss didn't become a "millionaire" by buying sketchy vehicles and sketchy plots of land

I hope you don't take point 2 the wrong way, I just see a lot of my own experiences and feeling in what you are going through and I don't want to see you have to suffer physically or mentally due to choices. It is great to live differently, I totally agree with that, but its not great to spend all of your free time having to fiddle with a bunch of bullshit just to have a place to rest and relax. You may not feel as rushed or hurried to make a decision involving a lot of money if you can catch a breather at your own place for a little while.

Also my vote is no ambulance, due to ghosts obviously.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
A sixer being used to save a life

Jinkies!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
You are going to die. Sell the truck for scrap and start over with a shipping crate if you love metal boxes, or a vehicle designed to have someone in the back of it if you want a vehicle with living room in it.

Everything you are doing is the worst possible goddam way to do it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ardemia posted:

I hate to bring up these two things and they will probably be ignored but hey:

1. You can build an extension off of your existing exhaust with a visit to the auto parts store and 50-100 in materials. It will take you a few hours but if you want to DIY something you could do that. don't forget to use clamps and sealant though, or you'll just be moving your leak a few feet down the body of grovertruk. That would be a no weld solution that would last you a few years or so.

Dude's catalytic converter has a window in it by the sounds of it. He needs someone who knows what they're doing (i e not PFC Schmuckatelli from the motor pool) to fix the exhaust.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

I meant one is more likely to happen. Co is like a sometimes snack that happens while co2 will always happen. That's why I'm less concerned about it. Why would I worry about a gas that is only sometimes produced when I rarely run the engine while im inside. That makes the chances of it being an issue rather slim in my mind. Like less than a handful of chances per winter. Perhaps I'm over analyzing it though. Regardless I will restore the exhaust to start going out the side at the rear like it did initially.

Ah-hahahahaha.

Didn't you go to college for like 12 years? JFC.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ry you may be new but everyone trying to tell you to dump the grovertruk is doing it because they don't want you dead. There is a long history of fatal goon projects in the forums past, we're not exactly eager to add more.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Elviscat posted:

Ah-hahahahaha.

Didn't you go to college for like 12 years? JFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOsQ2epsI2M

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Rytheric posted:

Co2 also comes out the exhaust too right? So I mean there's that. Id be more concerned of that being more likely given co is a byproduct of incomplete combustion where as I'd hope there would be more complete combustion than incomplete.

Rytheric posted:

Your 25 year old truck is not achieving complete combustion, and ANY exposure to CO is dangerous. This is the difference between the clean formulas of textbook chemistry and how things work in the real world.

My knee-jerk reaction is to put this into a geology analogy to help illustrate it, but geology is not my area of expertise. However it is worth noting that little self-check I did there is what you are not doing, and what is making so many people increasingly upset itt. You have so many people with such a wide array of experience who are screaming about how dangerous this is, and you're armchair wikipedia-ing away their advice without any basis in reality.

It does seem worth noting running a car in an unventilated garage is literally a method people use to intentionally kill themselves. You are essentially recreating that setup by having your exhaust run in a way that it goes into the area where you sleep.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Very stupid question: How is the exhaust seeping into the box cabin if the pipe is pointing downwards in the middle of a presumably solid floor? Is it a question of the exhaust seeping through some really small cracks in the floor and/or through the back and through the door seams?

I'm assuming the box truck is outside or something where the truck's own air intakes doesn't come into play, but I have no idea...

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

luminalflux posted:

Dude's catalytic converter has a window in it by the sounds of it. He needs someone who knows what they're doing (i e not PFC Schmuckatelli from the motor pool) to fix the exhaust.

I read it as he had the cat fixed, and then there was a short section, then a muffler, with a turn down tip under the truk instead of a pipe running all the way to the back after the muffler. If there is a hole in the cat then yeah haul that thing to the muffler shop, they can get it done cheaper and quicker.

Space Kablooey posted:

Very stupid question: How is the exhaust seeping into the box cabin if the pipe is pointing downwards in the middle of a presumably solid floor? Is it a question of the exhaust seeping through some really small cracks in the floor and/or through the back and through the door seams?

I'm assuming the box truck is outside or something where the truck's own air intakes doesn't come into play, but I have no idea...

With the exahust turn down terminating under the middle of the truck, the exhaust is going out under the middle of the truk. Those boxes aren't air tight, and he has no door on the back. That means that if you are in the back of the truck with the engine idling, you are directly above the exhaust instead of the exhaust going out and away from the back of the truk box.

Ardemia fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 2, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Space Kablooey posted:

Hot air rises and nothing about a box truck is airtight.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Space Kablooey posted:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Box trucks are absolutely not airtight. The roof and walls are designed to shed water and prevent its intrusion, not air, and the floor is typically just planks, some are metal but even those are full of holes for various purposes and reasons.

E: GroverTruk's floor is old wood planks and they're not in great shape.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tater_salad posted:

edit parts shotgun thoughts
Torque converter (transmission bits $$$$), EGR valve, Idle control, vac leak, spark plug wires, coil, spark plugs, distributor, PCV, MAP/MAF sensor, Throtle body, TPS,

what are the odds this truck even has its timing set correctly?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Close to zero.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I forgot he has no back doors. Thanks y'all

quote="Fermented Tinal" post="512899010"]
E: GroverTruk's floor is old wood planks and they're not in great shape.
[/quote]

Ahh right. I thought the wooden planks were resting on a metal subfloor thing.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 2, 2021

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Edit wait i rescind this whole post, this thread is tragic lol

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 2, 2021

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Sell the truck

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

sell the truck get a ktm and a tent

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

AdmiralViscen posted:

Sell the truck

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
To be explicitly clear you can keep the truck and make it safe and still have a path forward. Smart money is to sell, though.

Btw I don't think that probation will be your last one unless you start taking safety seriously.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Thanks to this thread I learned the word "sconce" and can now stop using two syllables to say "wall light" like a dimwit.

This thread has taken a bit of a BFC turn alongside the "don't die" push. I'd like to bring this up again.

Rytheric posted:

Historically for the last 4 years Ive made between 40-70k a year with a potential of up to 90k a year depending on the projects and my willingness to be a construction materials tester (my average is 47k).

The TL:DR version. I make between 30-70k a year as an environmental consultant. My expenses are between 8k-12k a year.

Are your baseline expenses 8k per year unless you accidentally buy a telescope?

Even at the extreme ends - make 30k and spend 12k, you should be more than capable of not dying. You probably don't need to even sell the current truck, just find like...a place to live.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This truck loving sucks rear end

Sell the truck

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Sell the truck

+1

it will literally be cheaper to buy a better vehicle than fix the numerous issues on this one. no joke, save yourself the sunk cost and get rid of this one for a better one that isn't mechanically totaled

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

has Ry said how much the truck cost originally?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

AFashionableHat posted:

The operating theory is that the truck is stolen.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

AFashionableHat posted:

No, but he's been pretty clear about what it will end up costing him

his life

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Jesus it didn't even occur to me that this thing is old enough to have timing you need to set, but then I realize that 96 was loving 25 years ago.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Get rid of this loving abortion of a live-in vehicle and buy something that was actually designed for habitation like a camper trailer or an RV.

Sell the loving telescope and stop throwing away money on a property scam that has already gotten money out of you multiple times.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Just gonna throw it out there that if you really want an unconventional RV platform, skoolie conversions are a thing and come with a number of benefits over an E350 box truck, such as windows and emergency egress.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rytheric posted:

no, moron, i'm not even a car nerd and i know that CO is a product of car exhaust and is loving bad for you. gasoline almost never combusts completely, this is why there is always carbon monoxide in the exhaust from an engine!

jesus christ, i was here for the funny hijinx as you build yourself the redneck-est camper truck ever, not for you to die in your sleep when your CPAP fills your lungs with the exhaust from your truck.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

corgski posted:

Just gonna throw it out there that if you really want an unconventional RV platform, skoolie conversions are a thing and come with a number of benefits over an E350 box truck, such as windows and emergency egress.

Given he has no other place to live in while he converts something into something he can live in, I think anything that doesn't begin as habitable is a distraction right now.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

Given he has no other place to live in while he converts something into something he can live in, I think anything that doesn't begin as habitable is a distraction right now.

I said "skoolie conversions" implying one someone had already done the basic work on to add power distribution, generation, and storage but fair point.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

corgski posted:

Dad and I bought an old school bus at auction back before I joined the Army, spent the summer tearing out seats and turning it into a proper rv. Microwave, bed, working tanks for gray/waste water, the works. Even lived in it parked out back for a few months. poo poo was great.

Ry, please.
Scrap the Grovertruk.
Find a place to live away from your Boss because he absolutely is scamming you.
Work up to an old postal truck (I imagine they will be selling cheap in the next few years as the new fleet is rolled out) or an old ambulance or...gently caress, something that won't literally get you killed.

Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Elmnt80 posted:

Ya'll realize that ambulances are like the one vehicle thats mechanically abused more than a box truck, right? Long periods sitting idling, followed by hard driving, minimal maintenance and this is all before you get to the fact that most of the ones that will be floating around in actual ambulance trim at the moment will be ford econolines with the 6.0. Maybe a turbo 7.3 if you're damned lucky and find an older one that some cousin fucker hasn't had their dirty dick beaters all over already. Ya'll think the wiring and mechanical issues are fun now. :kheldragar:

Yes but federally required and state required logs, and if you don't get one from an ift company and instead one from a fire department the drat thing is near pristine. Many require ambulance turnover every 5-8 years because "reasons" and you only have maybe 100k on the sucker.

You can get drat good deals on the things if your smart and a place retires them. And the maintenance stuff is required by health departments as part of licensing. So the issues are no where near as bad as with box trucks.