Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

No joke, I will legit never fully trust the WHO or CDC in matters regarding infectious disease outbreaks again. They've proven all too willing to suppress critical time-sensitive information to placate political interests.

I dunno if it's the same as placating political interests, but I remember being incredibly insulted by a bunch of health officials suddenly saying masks wouldn't be effective or necessary. All because they wanted to make sure people didn't hoard masks and kill the supply for hospitals. It was some serious bullshit to try to outsmart their own citizens and only made it more of an uphill battle when they wanted people to start wearing masks.

It really really shook my faith in organizations I had seen as very trustworthy before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don’t feel like the WHO or CDC as a whole are entirely to blame for things that happened while Donald John Trump was President of the United States of America.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
trustworthiness comes from experience

the last experience to be had was 20 years ago. the last really-comparable experience to be had was 105 years ago

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It was infuriating to watch happen. It poisoned so many minds, they still believe all those lies and made the pandemic so much more worsen than it would have been. I'll be disappointed in those officials forever. It's still hard to believe all of that actually happened.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Gynovore posted:

Oh god, between this and the Trade Wars mention on another thread, I feel like I'm back on a BBS.

im actually on a few BBSes

tradewars will never not confuse me though, my rear end is sticking to LORD

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

This is weird and will prob come across like a fakepost or something.

Wife and I both got covid tested and confirmed, I was really sick but not going to die or anything. Wife took it in stride.

After the quarantine period we both got super horny, no poo poo. I had slight sniffles, didn't have the respiratory aspect. We didn't leave house during quarantine.

That said we were both mega horned up - haven't seen the symptom listed anywhere and docs were like "uhh?" when I mentioned it. Everything erect on both bodies, trying to get out of a horny nightmare. 2-3 weeks of wild body poo poo, no sleep regardless of how many different sleeping pills i took.

This is totally serious, fyi. Lucky we aren't looking at a covid baby atm.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

probably cuz you're going through puberty

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

probably cuz you're going through puberty

Hah, I wish, maybe I wouldn't have to consider shaving my head every time I look in the mirror.

This is no joke and is a "thing". I can pull up scholarly research if you'd like but I'm telling you - if you survive and are with someone you are attracted to it is painfully horny.

edit:

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Social_Support

After a second two weeks things normalized but that first week or two were out of control. There are some articles if you research .orgs and .govs.

no pubes yet sorry fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 2, 2021

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Mods

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Hollywood: "We're making a horror movie about corona!"
everybody: *groans at their poo poo*

Hollywood: "It's a horny disease as allegory"
everybody: :20bux:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

No joke, I will legit never fully trust the WHO or CDC in matters regarding infectious disease outbreaks again. They've proven all too willing to suppress critical time-sensitive information to placate political interests.

Same. And, I have corresponded with several of their more senior / famous staff in the process of publishing their articles.
This whole thing has left me incredibly disappointed with many individuals who I had the greatest personal respect for before all of this.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Gonna be honest, that happened during our quarantine last year but I figured it was because we were bored and not exhausted from our jobs every day. People whined about how much lockdown ruined their mental health, but we enjoyed the heck out of not spending all our energy for the day on our lovely jobs.

I guess if you're one of those people who hate their spouse it would be a very different story, which in that case, get a divorce lol

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

https://twitter.com/eatinginmycar/status/1242985074158645248

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

More like... Cumvid-69... hornyvirus...

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If they had the Covid one year ago thing for Sweden you can show poo poo from six months ago and it’ll be drat near identical.

This pandemic loving obliterated my little trust in the government here and I was an idiot for having it in the first place. I’m an American, I should have known better. But I’m just floored at the stubborn incompetency of it all.

I weirdly keep thinking about the end quote from Fargo “There's more to life than a little money, ya know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are. And it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.”

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

The messaging should continue to be to wear masks, and you are very, very wrong about masks not being effective at reducing viral load and transmission.

There is no shortage of literature, new and old.

How are you so loudly wrong about this one loving year in?

Of course the messaging should be to continue to wear masks - we should not assume 100% efficacy of vaccines and I never said otherwise. What I said was that a few idiots who stop wearing masks will not ruin the world for the rest of us, if they are vaccinated. I'm trying to tell user "Pakistani politics" to not panic about hypothetical mask-less vaccinated people in particular. Vaccine rollout will bring the R number below 1, and there is a pretty good chance that a particular mask-less vaccinated individual is not actually able to transmit the disease.

I get from that graph that masks have some effect at preventing spread but I'm not aware of any community where mask-wearing by itself has been a successful measure. You seem to be saying something like "masks are by themselves effective at stopping Covid spread", correct me if I'm misunderstanding you. The truth is that masks are just one among many layers of protection needed, and not the most effective one at that. (The most effective one being isolation.)

I don't mean to go and derail the thread into a mask/anti-mask discussion, I'm really not opposed to mask wearing like you seem to be assuming. I'm just worried about how many people seem to think that as long as they're wearing a mask, it's fine to go ahead and hang with your friends etc. That attitude is getting people killed everyday and I think it's sad and unnecessary. The public are clearly not educated about the swiss-cheese model of protection.

teen witch posted:

If they had the Covid one year ago thing for Sweden you can show poo poo from six months ago and it’ll be drat near identical.

This pandemic loving obliterated my little trust in the government here and I was an idiot for having it in the first place. I’m an American, I should have known better. But I’m just floored at the stubborn incompetency of it all.

I weirdly keep thinking about the end quote from Fargo “There's more to life than a little money, ya know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are. And it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.”

I don't mean to defend any particular idiotic statements (because I don't know which particular ones you're referring to) but at this point I don't see that Sweden has done that much worse than other countries in terms of deaths per capita. We did have a huge amount of elderly people die in spring 2020, disproportionally more than comparable countries, but since then I don't think it's been worse than others. I track 128.6 deaths per 100k right now at https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105 which puts us between France and Brazil on the list.

Edit edit: I guess in any country, you could always say that the lockdowns could have been harder and lives would have been saved, I guess that's not an unreasonable opinion to have if that's your case.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 2, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Mmmm, Swiss cheese.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wilderthanmild posted:

I dunno if it's the same as placating political interests, but I remember being incredibly insulted by a bunch of health officials suddenly saying masks wouldn't be effective or necessary. All because they wanted to make sure people didn't hoard masks and kill the supply for hospitals. It was some serious bullshit to try to outsmart their own citizens and only made it more of an uphill battle when they wanted people to start wearing masks.

It really really shook my faith in organizations I had seen as very trustworthy before that.

Listen to the worst person you know make a good point in March of last year:

quote:

Of course, masks work. Everyone knows that. Dozens of research papers have proved it. In South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, the rest of Asia—where coronavirus has been kept under control—masks were key.

So look, we understand there's a shortage of masks. We understand only certain people should get them because it's a triage moment. We get it.

But stop lying to us. It makes us cynical. It divides the country. Tell the truth. We can handle it.

Tucker Carlson, who promptly forgot how right he was.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Of course the messaging should be to continue to wear masks - we should not assume 100% efficacy of vaccines and I never said otherwise. What I said was that a few idiots who stop wearing masks will not ruin the world for the rest of us, if they are vaccinated. I'm trying to tell user "Pakistani politics" to not panic about hypothetical mask-less vaccinated people in particular. Vaccine rollout will bring the R number below 1, and there is a pretty good chance that a particular mask-less vaccinated individual is not actually able to transmit the disease.

I get from that graph that masks have some effect at preventing spread but I'm not aware of any community where mask-wearing by itself has been a successful measure. You seem to be saying something like "masks are by themselves effective at stopping Covid spread", correct me if I'm misunderstanding you. The truth is that masks are just one among many layers of protection needed, and not the most effective one at that. (The most effective one being isolation.)

I don't mean to go and derail the thread into a mask/anti-mask discussion, I'm really not opposed to mask wearing like you seem to be assuming. I'm just worried about how many people seem to think that as long as they're wearing a mask, it's fine to go ahead and hang with your friends etc. That attitude is getting people killed everyday and I think it's sad and unnecessary. The public are clearly not educated about the swiss-cheese model of protection.

I don't mean to defend any particular idiotic statements (because I don't know which particular ones you're referring to) but at this point I don't see that Sweden has done that much worse than other countries in terms of deaths per capita. We did have a huge amount of elderly people die in spring 2020, disproportionally more than comparable countries, but since then I don't think it's been worse than others. I track 128.6 deaths per 100k right now at https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105 which puts us between France and Brazil on the list.

Edit edit: I guess in any country, you could always say that the lockdowns could have been harder and lives would have been saved, I guess that's not an unreasonable opinion to have if that's your case.

We could have sucked it up and had lockdowns, a cohesive mask strategy that didn’t start like a loving month ago, mandatory working from home for those who can, not letting people go on loving sportlov, and maybe the EU and AZ couldn’t have hosed up the vaccine rollout but honestly I’m kind of not shocked that that happened.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

what does “horny on main” actually mean?

I get the “horny” part, but where does the “on main” part come from?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

what does “horny on main” actually mean?

I get the “horny” part, but where does the “on main” part come from?

On the main account, vs a side account/finsta.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

teen witch posted:

On the main account, vs a side account/finsta.

horny on main
a slang term for posting or engaging with sexual posts on your main social media account, rather than a secondary one that you’d usually use for that purpose. the phrased spawned on tumblr, after ted cruz liked a vore fetish drawing on his main, verified account.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

For the WHO, at least, I found this very interesting:

quote:

In part, Tedros was perceived to be over-praising China because the rest of the world’s media were still picking over the chaos and deception of the early weeks; the first signs of China’s fightback seemed from the outside, as one Italian put it later, ‘like science fiction’. But much of the resentment at Tedros’s warm words for China was based on a misunderstanding of WHO’s role and powers. Lacking any means to force countries to give it information, but desperately needing to get it, it is obliged to fall back on consensus, persuasion and flattery – in other words, diplomacy. The half-hearted cover-up by Wuhan’s local health officials showed what happens, on a national scale, when leaders fear humiliation. Theirs were not the actions of people who expected to be rewarded for the speedy delivery of bad news. ‘You have to keep positive incentives for countries to report,’ Devi Sridhar, a professor of global public health at Edinburgh University, said. ‘If there are negative incentives – WHO comes out and grabs a headline saying “They did it badly” – what other countries are ever going to come forward and report when they have an outbreak going on?’

From this longread - https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n13/james-meek/the-health-transformation-army

quote:

Of course, masks work. Everyone knows that. Dozens of research papers have proved it. In South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, the rest of Asia—where coronavirus has been kept under control—masks were key.

You should of course wear your mask in places like American and Europe where the pandemic is rampant, but I still think the notion that masks were a significant factor in East Asia handling it is cargo cult epidemiology - Americans looking at a bunch of Asians wearing masks and thinking "oh it's just that easy." Japan, South Korea, and most definitely Taiwan also closed their borders to some extent and had proper contact tracing, testing and isolation measures. Masks are a last resort, not a first resort.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

teen witch posted:

We could have sucked it up and had lockdowns, a cohesive mask strategy that didn’t start like a loving month ago, mandatory working from home for those who can, not letting people go on loving sportlov, and maybe the EU and AZ couldn’t have hosed up the vaccine rollout but honestly I’m kind of not shocked that that happened.

If I'm not completely wrong (and chances are I am) the whole reason for us swedes not being put in lockdown is because of laws in our constitution which prohibits the government from denying people their right to go wherever they want, and it's only if people are carrying a disease that they can legally force people to stay at home.
Which sucks :(

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

freebooter posted:

a significant factor in East Asia handling it is cargo cult epidemiology - Americans looking at a bunch of Asians wearing masks and thinking "oh it's just that easy." Japan, South Korea, and most definitely Taiwan also closed their borders to some extent and had proper contact tracing, testing and isolation measures. Masks are a last resort, not a first resort.

Ehh, most of east Asia has been wearing masks in close proximity in the large cities since OG Sars. They have a culturally significant boogey man in the form of respiratory illness. Beyond masks, societally they just don't put up with the crazy poo poo a la florida beach parties.

From personal experience, China and Japan both mask up most of the time if taking the subway/train/walk in the city but they were doing that for 10 years before covid 19. Masks definitely helped halt spread. Public fear + knowledge + masks has a multiplicative affect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

freebooter posted:

Masks are a last resort, not a first resort.

They're a final line of defence, but they're also a pretty essential element of a consolidated pandemic response. They're also one of the easier aspects to enact because they're cheap and widely available and way less restrictive than most of the other mitigation strategies. Lockdowns are the last resort because they're the most restrictive and disruptive mitigation strategy and the hardest to enact.

Of course that all goes out the window if your president is a dumbass who refuses to appear on camera in a mask and your governing medical authority's official stance is that masks make you more susceptible to infection.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Greggster posted:

If I'm not completely wrong (and chances are I am) the whole reason for us swedes not being put in lockdown is because of laws in our constitution which prohibits the government from denying people their right to go wherever they want, and it's only if people are carrying a disease that they can legally force people to stay at home.
Which sucks :(

I know, I know, I know, I’ve had it explained to me several times, two languages. I get why the laws exist. I think they were laws from a bygone era, an era that we don’t need to desperately cling to as Sweden has neEErrEEEvvveEEER faced a crisis. That mentality hosed us up.

And yes I know how the laws are to change with elections I get all that but immediate action, actual action not this limp dick “you can wear masks if you want but we won’t force you uwu” garbage.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
WHO should have admitted that they're unable to respond usefully to a pandemic because of the way they're constituted and suggested a new body do it.

no pubes yet sorry posted:

horny on main
a slang term for posting or engaging with sexual posts on your main social media account, rather than a secondary one that you’d usually use for that purpose. the phrased spawned on tumblr, after ted cruz liked a vore fetish drawing on his main, verified account.

I thought this was a folksy American expression referring to Main Street and I like my version better.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Xaintrailles posted:

WHO should have admitted that they're unable to respond usefully to a pandemic because of the way they're constituted and suggested a new body do it.

This is hysterically out of touch with reality.

The WHO has its status by the graces of sovereign nations. It does not have powers except insofar as sovereign nations allow it to have any. The WHO has no mandate except insofar as sovereign nations give it one.

It is not in the WHOs mandate to suggest a new body and it is absurd to think that nations, again, being sovereign, would vest it with powers beyond what it has now. If anything, it would lose what precious little ability to affect actual change in the world the it has managed to carve out for itself. Its role is to facilitate coordination between sovereign nations. If a nation doesn't play ball, there is literally nothing the WHO can do, should do, or will be enabled to do in the future.

This is the American myth of the UN army coming to take over their country all over again, except even dumber somehow. Blaming their own anemic response and the failure of their own institutions on some foreign scapegoat that they themselves starve of resources borders on caricature for how stereotypically american it is.

If you're a yank and you have a problem with pandemic response, the institutions responsible are those of your own nation.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I think someone mentioned in this thread the middle of last year that companies might be hopefully starting to realize how worthless middle management is. (they probably aren't)
Based on my Direct Boss and Director above him, the hiring and continual employment evaluation goes like this:

Director: Are you able to do no more than 15% of the job description with any low bar metric of competence and the other. 85% with shocking incompetence with no desire to get better?

Direct Boss: Yes! Absolutely!

Director: Carry on!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

freebooter posted:

You should of course wear your mask in places like American and Europe where the pandemic is rampant, but I still think the notion that masks were a significant factor in East Asia handling it is cargo cult epidemiology - Americans looking at a bunch of Asians wearing masks and thinking "oh it's just that easy." Japan, South Korea, and most definitely Taiwan also closed their borders to some extent and had proper contact tracing, testing and isolation measures. Masks are a last resort, not a first resort.

Spot on. China and Korea succeeded because of a default tendency for people to trust and accept authorities, and strong peer pressure, combined with pretty draconian measures by their governments. Japan has the same tendency to somewhat lesser extent and has done slightly worse as a result.
That they all have a habit of wearing surgical masks when ill probably contributes but there has been absolutely 0 evidence to say that this was the key factor.

I am not in the least surprised that Sweden or the USA, where people value individual freedom over respecting authority, have done a lot worse at stopping spread.
In Korea, the government pulled people's credit card history and cell phone locations, to see who had been near an outbreak. Would the American public have accepted that measure, if it were legal? You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/05/south-korea-covid-quarantine-britain-tested-positive

quote:

The test results came back the next morning and I was surprised to find out that I was positive, since I had no symptoms. What shocked me was that officials from the local district’s public health service then came to take me to a government facility. Not long after I was taken away, more officials in full PPE came to disinfect our apartment, check on my parents and tell them to get tested.

Self-quarantining at home if you have Covid-19, no matter how mild the symptoms, is not an option in Korea. Thus began my 14-day stay in a youth hostel in the heart of Seoul that had been converted to a quarantine facility for mildly symptomatic Covid-19 patients.
Edit:

Antigravitas posted:

The WHO has its status by the graces of sovereign nations. It does not have powers except insofar as sovereign nations allow it to have any. The WHO has no mandate except insofar as sovereign nations give it one.

Isn't that basically what Xaintrailles said? Your post comes off as pretty aggressive for someone agreeing with someone else.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 2, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Antigravitas posted:

It is not in the WHOs mandate to suggest a new body and it is absurd to think that nations, again, being sovereign, would vest it with powers beyond what it has now. If anything, it would lose what precious little ability to affect actual change in the world the it has managed to carve out for itself. Its role is to facilitate coordination between sovereign nations. If a nation doesn't play ball, there is literally nothing the WHO can do, should do, or will be enabled to do in the future.

This is the American myth of the UN army coming to take over their country all over again, except even dumber somehow. Blaming their own anemic response and the failure of their own institutions on some foreign scapegoat that they themselves starve of resources borders on caricature for how stereotypically american it is.

If you're a yank and you have a problem with pandemic response, the institutions responsible are those of your own nation.

Not American and I don't blame the WHO for national responses. I do blame them for lying, for exploiting the influence they have to promote those lies, and for not being clear about their limitations. They did act as an enabler for the abysmal responses in many countries, although a minor one.
The WHO in general is a good thing but if they can't deal with an issue due to politics they should say so and step away from it.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

freebooter posted:

Japan did jack and poo poo. In fact Japan promoted a domestic travel and dining out campaign throughout a large part of 2020.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Spot on. China and Korea succeeded because of a default tendency for people to trust and accept authorities, and strong peer pressure, combined with pretty draconian measures by their governments. Japan has the same tendency to somewhat lesser extent and has done slightly worse as a result.
That they all have a habit of wearing surgical masks when ill probably contributes but there has been absolutely 0 evidence to say that this was the key factor.

I am not in the least surprised that Sweden or the USA, where people value individual freedom over respecting authority, have done a lot worse at stopping spread.
In Korea, the government pulled people's credit card history and cell phone locations, to see who had been near an outbreak. Would the American public have accepted that measure, if it were legal? You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Swedes are way WAAAAY more trusting of the government and respecting authority to a really ridiculous fault, especially compared to the US. The issue here is when the government and authority is repeating bafflingly stupid poo poo, and the people don’t question it (among other factors, but this is a big one), is how we got here. There are some similarities with Sweden and the US but many key differences.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Japan's government does not have the powers that the other two countries do to enforce pandemic control measures, and does not seem interested in having them.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sale on Banksy art posted:

Japan did jack and poo poo. In fact Japan promoted a domestic travel and dining out campaign throughout a large part of 2020.

I'm pretty sure Japan closed their borders early on, at least to foreign travelers. Which I wish had been possible in the EU, but unfortunately the free movement of labor and goods has continued to trump safety.

teen witch posted:

Swedes are way WAAAAY more trusting of the government and respecting authority to a really ridiculous fault, especially compared to the US. The issue here is when the government and authority is repeating bafflingly stupid poo poo, and the people don’t question it (among other factors, but this is a big one), is how we got here. There are some similarities with Sweden and the US but many key differences.

Well we do tend to trust authorities but at the same time Swedes have extremely individualist values, according to international surveys. (As opposed to collectivist values like those prevalent in East Asia.)
There are lots of publications about this but here, have one: https://www.hofstede-insights.com/country/sweden/

quote:

In Individualist societies people are supposed to look after themselves and their direct family only. In Collectivist societies people belong to ‘in groups’ that take care of them in exchange for loyalty.

Sweden, with a score of 71 is an Individualist society. This means there is a high preference for a loosely-knit social framework in which individuals are expected to take care of themselves and their immediate families only

And similarly,
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00141844.1991.9981433

quote:

Swedish mentality seems to have two opposing tendencies: one towards individualism and the other towards collectivity. The explanation for this is the different meaning that can be given to the concept of individualism. Swedes seem to need social autonomy strongly and not to be dependent on other individuals, such as neighbors, relatives, employers, and so on. At the same time, Swedes seem to need collective support for their opinions. Collective solutions are a hallmark of Swedish society and dominate Swedish politics. Survey data are used to illustrate this theme empirically.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 2, 2021

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Japan was doing everything in their power to hold the summer Olympics, they didn't do jack poo poo cos they wanted the tourist money

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Individualist values still allows for blind trust of authority. You can have both.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm pretty sure Japan closed their borders early on, at least to foreign travelers. Which I wish had been possible in the EU, but unfortunately the free movement of labor and goods has continued to trump safety.

Japan closed their borders (temporarily) in April 2020 because they were waiting for the Olympics to be officially postponed.

It has been and remains nearly impossible to get a test unless you want to pay $400 for one, and they stopped contact tracing in the metropolitan areas a while ago.

If it's not masks and social distancing, I really don't know why Japan has not had more deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Xaintrailles posted:

Not American and I don't blame the WHO for national responses. I do blame them for lying, for exploiting the influence they have to promote those lies, and for not being clear about their limitations. They did act as an enabler for the abysmal responses in many countries, although a minor one.
The WHO in general is a good thing but if they can't deal with an issue due to politics they should say so and step away from it.

What has the WHO supposedly lied about?

Again, the role of the WHO is to facilitate international communication and cooperation. Its target audience is other nations. Nobody in those other nations has any delusions about the scope of the WHO's competencies.

"Politics" is literally always in the way of the WHO's initiatives, as is the case with all international endeavours. If the WHO stepped away from everything because of political interference you could scrap the whole thing, you'd never get anything like the Polio eradication programme off the ground.