Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Fermented Tinal posted:

Do you have any numbers to back that up? He won't listen to us unless you have some numbers backing it up.

here's some numbers then
69, 420, 666, 2137

fake edit: drat beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Speaking of suspensions my nephew lost one of his front teeth working on one of those, and he had the proper equipment. Could have gone worse, is getting fitted for an artificial replacement now. Don't play around with those

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Speaking of suspensions my nephew lost one of his front teeth working on one of those, and he had the proper equipment. Could have gone worse, is getting fitted for an artificial replacement now. Don't play around with those

Probably his equipment was generating too much noise. You've got to watch out for that.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

beep-beep car is go posted:

Let's see, how about :

That should be enough numbers.

drat. drat. these numbers, these are very good numbers.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

op, please run those numbers by your boss to confirm if they check out

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Holy poo poo, look at this 1996 E350 just waiting for someone to RVify and live inside it:
http://usedfromus.com/ford-ads/522238-1996-ford-e350-73-diesel-van-4x4.html

7.3L Diesel, one of the finest engines Ford ever put in these things, 4x4, low miles, roof rack.

Looks nice. The mileage is higher than what is listed on GroverTruks odometer though the odometer may have been reset at one point. Also can't stand in it unfortunately.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Why didn't you just get an RV?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Why are your so attached to GroverTruk, Ry? Honest question, like, it's a money pit and you should sell it, but you're not gonna. We're accepting that(as long as you are safe please be safe) Tell us why!

Are the bones of an ancient astrological/defecatory tribe welded to the undercarriage? Does your soul reside in the engine while your mortal coil is forced to toil endlessly on the containment vessel?

yo don't ignore my question! why is this truck so special?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Looks nice. The mileage is higher than what is listed on GroverTruks odometer though the odometer may have been reset at one point. Also can't stand in it unfortunately.

Ignoring that GroverTruk's odo is probably not an accurate at all, you're comparing gasoline engine miles to diesel engine miles. A 7.3L PSD is an entirely different animal and at that mileage it's not even close to needing major maintenance.

A diesel engine's exhaust, while certainly not the healthiest thing to breathe, is significantly safer than gasoline engine exhaust too. There's a reason diesels are king underground.

E: Also you can get an aftermarket fiberglass roof extension for them and they're not impossible for a home gamer to install. This van is a great starting point for a RV conversion.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 2, 2021

oggb
Feb 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

Realtalk: you are homeless. Any time it's cold out it's an emergency. Any time you need your cpap it's an emergency.

This is, again, where you don't have the reading comprehension to understand the advice being given. You were told you could charge batteries for tools using your inverter. Not to run corded power tools.

Mo types at Ry like a man that has a special needs child and he is just fuckin' OVER IT ALREADY.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rytheric posted:

I have 3 modes of eating. Which I seem to cycle through.

3. $20-$40 of kfc or bojangles a day.

Truly, you are an NC goon.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Reik posted:

Because he wants to half-rear end it, not have Dometic half-rear end it for him.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Fermented Tinal posted:

Because he wants to half-rear end it, not have Dometic half-rear end it for him.

:hmmyes:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Motronic posted:

This is, again, where you don't have the reading comprehension to understand the advice being given. You were told you could charge batteries for tools using your inverter. Not to run corded power tools.

This is where you've misread what happened. I was the first one to say I could use battery operated tools, but not corded power tools. Then there were posts after post of people saying but with a 1250w inverter you could run a 10 amp circ saw which I kept telling them I couldnt.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Because a 1250W inverter can absolutely run a circ saw, but you are erring on the side of caution and automatically assumed nobody would ever consider using a 1250W at its rating instead of half of that with an extra fuse thrown in to boot.

Nobody was telling you to trash your battery, at the time we just didn't know you had intentionally hamstrung your electrical system for an unnecessary level of extra safety margin.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Reik posted:

Price for starters. All the rvs in GroverTruks price range were much worse mechanically. The insulation on those things were horrible and I'd want to rip it all out to start over, but it'd be with a vehicle that's much worse off mechanically. GroverTruk besides it's quirks appears to be reliable and will likely last enough years for me to afford a better GroverTruk or a pickup-enclosed trailer combo.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Did you ever mention what you spent for the truck? I'm curious. I can compare prices with up here and see how things are down there.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Price for starters. All the rvs in GroverTruks price range were much worse mechanically. The insulation on those things were horrible and I'd want to rip it all out to start over, but it'd be with a vehicle that's much worse off mechanically. GroverTruk besides it's quirks appears to be reliable and will likely last enough years for me to afford a better GroverTruk or a pickup-enclosed trailer combo.

Translation: Sunk-cost brainworms.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Did you ever mention what you spent for the truck? I'm curious. I can compare prices with up here and see how things are down there.

It's a shortish long story. But $2000. I gave the guy an extra $500 to hold on to it until I got the money out of my stock portfolio as I had competition from other tiny curious diyers. I also got scammed during this transaction, but thats another story.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rytheric posted:

How much have you spent on grover truk?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Rytheric posted:

It's a shortish long story. But $2000. I gave the guy an extra $500 to hold on to it until I got the money out of my stock portfolio as I had competition from other tiny curious diyers. I also got scammed during this transaction, but thats another story.

:psyduck: Please enlighten me.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

No, no, no, that's the story of right now.

Tell us how you got taken for a ride buying the shittiest E350 in the land.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rytheric posted:

We are here for you to tell your story in your thread. :justpost:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rytheric posted:

GroverTruk besides it's quirks appears to be reliable and will likely last enough years for me to afford a better GroverTruk or a pickup-enclosed trailer combo.
Despite needing suspension, transmission, and various other parts to be shotgunned at it because it has a hosed suspension and cannot idle while driving. . .

The best thing that could possibly happen to you right now is that your truck somehow burns to the ground while you're at work.

Edit: Also, I don't know what your obsession with insulation is about, but you are never going to find a vehicle that is insulated as well as a home that is not a vehicle. Every vehicle's insulation is "meh" as a trade off for not having 6 inch thick walls.

Edit again: Maybe you should find whatever vehicle they deliver dry ice in. It will be well insulated AND well ventilated.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 2, 2021

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Rytheric posted:

I'm sensing a recurring theme here...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Okay, so we have a $2000 (lmao) box truck that needs about $2000 in parts, and probably $2000 in labour.

Let's tally that up.

$2000
$2000
$2000
_______+
$6000

Now let's assume you spent... $500 on all the framing, electrical nonsense, etc.

$6000
$  500
_______+
$6500

So, your RV budget was actually $6500.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Rytheric posted:

It seems like the same story tbh

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Okay, so we have a $2000 (lmao) box truck that needs about $2000 in parts, and probably $2000 in labour.

Let's tally that up.

$2000
$2000
$2000
_______+
$6000

Now let's assume you spent... $500 on all the framing, electrical nonsense, etc.

$6000
$ 500
_______+
$6500

My dad bought a used camper trailer from an amusement park and lived in it for 2 years while building their retirement home for well less than half that, possibly even 1/3 that.

This is the non-idiotic way to go about what you're doing, OP. It had a heater and a shitter and a stove and everything.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
GroverTruk: I also got scammed during this transaction

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Let's tally that up.

$2000
$2000
$2000
_______+
$6000

$6000
$  500
_______+
$6500

I think you left out another $2k for a telescope so that's actually $8500

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

stealie72 posted:

My dad bought a used camper trailer from an amusement park and lived in it for 2 years while building their retirement home for well less than half that, possibly even 1/3 that.

This is the non-idiotic way to go about what you're doing, OP. It had a heater and a shitter and a stove and everything.

Did he try and haggle for any cool roller coaster parts while he was there? Did it come with an integrated corn dog dispenser to prove it was really from an amusement park?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, 2000 USD. That's what you'd pay for that truck in Norway and not nearly in such a state of crapness. You wouldn't actually be allowed to drive the piece of crap over here.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Fermented Tinal posted:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So. GroverTruk was in an accident the year before last and was totaled by an Insurance company because although it was mainly cosmetic damage the value of the repair exceed the cost of the vehicle. It was sold at an auto auction for $500. Then someone repaired it and got a restored title for it. How I got scammed as pointed out to me by a goose was that they got the title washed prior to selling it to me or it somehow got washed when I titled it by the officer entering something incorrectly while they were checking to make sure it wasn't stolen and if it was road enough worthy. One of those things happened. Apparently washing a vehicle title is a federal offense that is not enforced in my state which allowed this to happen. if its not disclosed that it was washed to the next purchaser though that's another federal offense which makes it harder to sell.

How the deal went down was sketch but not uncommon in where I'm from in west virginia. I bought it off a guy in my town, but it was a virginia title with some dealer in Georgia as the name on the bill of sale. The actual seller just told me that he just didn't get around to titling it himself. Which isn't uncommon in weet virginia as some people are simply too porr to title a vehicle sometimes.

Prior to my acquisition GroverTruk was used as a mobile side of the road repair truck that could switch out people's tires and such.

I was going to give the seller an extra $500 on top of what I gave him over the purchase price for being such a good fellow, but my girl friend at the time talked me out of it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

inkmoth posted:

Did he try and haggle for any cool roller coaster parts while he was there? Did it come with an integrated corn dog dispenser to prove it was really from an amusement park?
As far as I know, just the ghosts of snotty kids and maybe some residue from drunk/stoned rednecks that stayed in it the night that Molly Hatchet played the park.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

luminalflux posted:

I think you left out another $2k for a telescope so that's actually $8500

I'm not including it because that came from a loan shark and the hope is that he didn't finance this truck.

Ry, you didn't finance this truck... right?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Lodin posted:

Lol, 2000 USD. That's what you'd pay for that truck in Norway and not nearly in such a state of crapness. You wouldn't actually be allowed to drive the piece of crap over here.

If they do the proper inspection they are supposed to do in NC, they probably won't let him drive it either. Although maybe there are commercial vehicle exemptions I'm not aware of.

When I lived there I had to replace a taillight lens because it had a crack in it (not broken and was fully functional, mind you) within a certain amount of time for them to pass inspection for my truck.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm not including it because that came from a loan shark and the hope is that he didn't finance this truck.

Ry, you didn't finance this truck... right?

You know he did.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

You know he did.

Please dear god tell me you did not take a loan out for this piece of poo poo, Ry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Fermented Tinal posted:

Please dear god tell me you did not take a loan out for this piece of poo poo, Ry.

No worse. I took out my personal stock portfolio and earnings to pay for it and getting it more road worthy. Most the stock I had increased 10x during the pandemic, but once the pandemic hit I didn't have enough disposable income to reinvest while the market sky rocketed.