Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

The fench doors are going where the current plywood door is. The end will have a screen door.

That doesn't answer the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

beep-beep car is go posted:

If it started, stopped and steered that would be one thing. Currently it won't idle and the suspension is rashed. It can be fixed yes, but in the end he'll have dropped thousands on a truck at AT BEST is worth a couple hundo. Not very Dave Ramsey.

There's an either forum where a lot of posters willingly do that with cars.

Dumping money into a vehicle worth a pittance is the last thing I'm going to be critical of. At least the RyTrukk is fixable, I dont see anything terminal

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Motronic posted:

It's still an unsafe vehicle, being made even less safe as more weight is put on it because the suspension is completely shot based on the pictures provided. He's even removed the front....what does he call it? bouncy bar? (it's a sway bar) to make matters worse. And that's what we can see from the pictures. What he's mentioned is that it runs poorly/stalls at stoplights which smells a lot like a trans problem (TCC solenoid is the absolutely best case dream scenario here, trans coming out is more likely). We know it has exhaust problems. How are the brakes? Tires? Bearings? Cooling system?

It's an end of service life box truck that was all used up, literally bought as scrap and "repaired".

And what exactly do you do then when it needs work done at a shop? A truck that you live in. That is your only vehicle. That doesn't even have a rear door.

I will likely have the brakes address at the upcoming safety inspection. The rotors have some groves. Cooling system works surprisingly well after I replaced the radiator other than the control fail point I have where a hose popped off. Tires are brand new and they replaced the radius arm bushings when they did the alignment. I wish they did the other bushings as well.

As far as what to ride. My boss will let me use his car if necessary, but I have a beach cruiser as well I can ride. Though I'm a little too heavy for it. Also I typically Uber from the shop to work. That's what I'm doing tomorrow.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 2, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Cooling system works surprisingly well after I replaced the radiator other than the control fail point I have where a hose popped off.

Right, I forgot this thing sounds like it's lunching it's head gasket as well.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Ardemia posted:

I know you're not a big RV fan for *reasons*, but have you considered checking out an RV salvage yard for some conversion parts/pieces? I helped a friend convert a bus to a skoolie, and he saved himself a lot of time by getting some components and pieces from an RV salvage yard. At the very least you might find a cool retractable awning, or something.

Also I will just say to pick and choose ideas from Dave Ramsey. His advice can be impractical, and I'll be damned if I'll take a lot of money advice from some guy that went bankrupt due to real estate speculation in the 80s. He also leans heavily on religious ideas and the guilt behind them, which has no place in money management imo. Be wary of the man that owns 100 cars that would shame you for buying a bicycle.

I actually got my seats and such from the pull a part down the way because the PO had the wrong year seats in and didnt have them bolted down (probably sucked during the accident. The pull a part was pretty cool. They have reassembled/salvaged vehicles lined up for sale there too. I may go back and see what I can find

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rytheric posted:

I actually got my seats and such from the pull a part down the way because the PO had the wrong year seats in and didnt have them bolted down (probably sucked during the accident. The pull a part was pretty cool. They have reassembled/salvaged vehicles lined up for sale there too. I may go back and see what I can find

Without joking or lying or exaggerating, I bet if you take your title down there, they'll swap you straight up for one of the runners in the lot.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

Lol I was going to say that's par the course. I have a gasket kit for it already. I was going to do the valve covers, but let the pros handle the head gasket.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The pros are going to have to do the valve covers on their way to the gasket anyways, just let em handle it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Lol I was going to say that's par the course. I have a gasket kit for it already. I was going to do the valve covers, but let the pros handle the head gasket.

HGs on a V8 is not a minor job that costs an insignificant amount of money and takes a trivial amount of time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

HGs on a V8 is not a minor job that costs an insignificant amount of money and takes a trivial amount of time.

In a VAN on top of it.

Good thing the seats are barely bolted in.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Rytheric posted:

I normally only allow myself $400 a month for food. But if I unlock my cashflow I accidently spend $800-1200 a month on food.

I was having trouble working out how exactly you ate the various Bojangles meals you described as your daily diet. Somehow, putting all of your money into your 401(k) is your sole recourse for not "accidently" eating 2-3 of them a day :psyboom:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I cook almost exclusively with $400 a month and feed my wife and baby. There's a ton of potential to save money right there. And I guarantee you food is more expensive here in New England than in the south.

Grabbing a hot plate and learning to cook is a great way to take direct control of your portion sizes and sodium intake. Plus you get to eat whatever you want literally whenever you want it when you get proficient at it.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

um excuse me posted:

The pros are going to have to do the valve covers on their way to the gasket anyways, just let em handle it.

Good point. If I recall it's recommend that the engine and transmission get rebuilt in about 50,000 more miles. So we will see how it goes.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

um excuse me posted:

I cook almost exclusively with $400 a month and feed my wife and baby. There's a ton of potential to save money right there. And I guarantee you food is more expensive here in New England than in the south.

Grabbing a hot plate and learning to cook is a great way to take direct control of your portion sizes and sodium intake. Plus you get to eat whatever you want literally whenever you want it when you get proficient at it.

My main problem is that I've generally not had time to cook. I use to cook in college.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

My main problem is that I've generally not had time to cook.

You got time to post you got time to roast.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Motronic posted:

Important question: was it your only car as well as your only residence?

had to deal with this three times working in the shop:

First guy's van smelled of alcohol and vomit, we got his alternator replaced and refused to test drive it further due to the condition and well the overpowering smell of vomit. He slept in the parking lot overnight while we ordered the alternator. He also slept in our parking lot that night after he paid for repairs, but left after that.

Second guy bought a Westfalia converted Eurovan, that thing was a colossal piece of poo poo. He would get pissed off at me, the service writer, about his stupid house on wheels not being ready despite my constant communication about parts status and repair status. Sorry dude but I didn't tell you to terminate your lease and buy a Eurovan to haul yourself and your KLR650 around with because you read advrider.com too many times. That thing ended up needing a new transmission, new locks, and a shitload of top end engine work. Pretty sure he was fired as a customer after I left, I know the manager couldn't stand dealing with him because he was lying about living in the thing. The Westfalia bits were great though!

Third was several crust punks living in a conversion van. It was an old chevy that we replaced the engine in. Those guys were a dream to deal with, they had a camping spot to stay at while we did the engine replacement, and they would hang out under a shade tree out back the last two days we worked on it. They traded me some art for some lunch one of those days lol. We ended up paying for their rental car to and from their campground. Plus, it was rare to be able to discuss which Conflict album was the best one with a customer.

I share my silly anecdotes to say Rytheric, be mindful of the repair process while living in the vehicle, get as much taken care of before you're full time in it, and then let the shop know its your house and see what accommodations can be made.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

My main problem is that I've generally not had time to cook. I use to cook in college.

Priorities, man. I'm sure there is something less important than cooking unless all you do is work and sleep.

Edit: also learning to cook is more than making something to eat. It includes budgeting, reducing waste, and balancing your diet.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 2, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Danknificent posted:

God help me, let me get serious just this once:

If Ry won’t budge on the truck, then maybe we can meet him where he is, acknowledging that it’s sub-optimal, and propose however the truck situation can best be salvaged.

His presenting request to the thread isn’t “give me the blueprint for optimal homelessness so I can start over from scratch” — it’s “I have this land and this truck and I want to make it work”

The land and the truck might suck, but if we go from a place of accepting that they are not negotiable to him, I’m guessing there’s a way to make them at the very least not kill him.

We can’t treat him. We can’t change him.

It is a waste of time to try to convince him to make a radical change to embrace your functional goon vision of practical homelessness.

It’s potentially constructive to offer achievable suggestions toward making *his* vision of cool guy homelessness less bonkers/perilous.

:goonsay:

Source: my state license to practice clinical mental health therapy

Thank you.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Something i've been wondering. Where do you do your laundy and wash/bathe? I assume at your bosses place from what you've written previously. What will you do when you're full time in the truck?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Concur. This is not a derivative work.

This cannot be compared to any other goon project, any more than the Sistine Chapel can be compared to its painted ceiling.

edit:

This is the most dangerous box truck since Tim Mcveigh.

lmao

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rytheric posted:

I will likely have the brakes address at the upcoming safety inspection. The rotors have some groves. Cooling system works surprisingly well after I replaced the radiator other than the control fail point I have where a hose popped off. Tires are brand new and they replaced the radius arm bushings when they did the alignment. I wish they did the other bushings as well.

Explain this "controlled fail point" because there should be no such thing in a vaguely working car / truck cooling system.

If a coolant hose is popping off, then there is likely more than just a head gasket wrong.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

serious gaylord posted:

Something i've been wondering. Where do you do your laundy and wash/bathe? I assume at your bosses place from what you've written previously. What will you do when you're full time in the truck?

He has four sets of clothes per season and I think that's it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

serious gaylord posted:

Laundromats are still a thing. A gym membership gets you access to a shower but I'm sure there are cheaper, less covid-y, ways to do that as well.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

serious gaylord posted:

Take it to the laundry mat or do it in a 5 gallon bucket like I use to.

Also my work place is about to have showers.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 2, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Motronic posted:

jesus christ

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Rytheric posted:

The fench doors are going where the current plywood door is. The end will have a screen door.

Fermented Tinal posted:

That doesn't answer the question.

Yeah, :ohdear: .

So now you're parked and all the thieves/jerks have to do is slash through the screen with just about anything, steal your deck chairs and fancy copper fire pit. Then they peek thru the fancy French doors, break them as quietly and leisurely as possible because no one can see/hear them now that they're inside the box, and steal your $2k telescope.

I'm not trying to dunk, Ry, I really am not. If anything, I'm way sympathetic because I started following this thread because last year two years ago (jesus 2020 was a long time) my husband bought a G30 fleet cargo van with the same idea of converting it to a tiny rolling house for us. He's been slowly working on the framing and such, and I thought we might get some neat ideas.

I'm concerned about break-ins because last year right around this time, he was parked on the street, right in front of our house. Even had a nearby streetlight. The van has panel on the driver's side and the big window on the passenger side. Someone must've peeked in the side window (we've since put some cardboard up), saw all the power tools he'd had in there to work on it, and stole them. Not sure how, no glass was broken and the doors didn't seem forced. I've since learned on these here forums that often fleet vehicles are keyed identically, so maybe they had a bunch of fleet keys and just got in. :iiam:

Any kind of cargo van/box/fleet truck is gonna be a target for opportunistic thieves, and if they know someone's living there (which would be made both obvious and easy when you see a screened in porch and French doors), they're probably going to be even more likely to target you.

I'm not gonna dogpile on the 1783 other things wrong with the Truk, but just concerned for your well-being on this aspect, which I don't think anyone's brought up.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 2, 2021

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rytheric posted:

Yeah once I get the floor in I need to caulk it from the outside else water may seep under the sills and get trapped there.

Edit: I also need to caulk and screen the joints so bees don't invade the reflectix airgaps.

:sigh: Not doing the inside before you framed and insulated is the kind of 1st year apprentice mistake that leads me to say that you need more experience before you attempt to build a house, buddy.

These seemingly minor details compound over the course of a project into big problems. I know that's on hold due to the many issues with the property you wanted, but please don't timber frame a house with ropes when you do get there

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

As far as what to ride. My boss will let me use his car if necessary, but I have a beach cruiser as well I can ride. Though I'm a little too heavy for it. Also I typically Uber from the shop to work. That's what I'm doing tomorrow.

Put the loving hose back on properly now that you have a new radiator in it. Sure plastic end tank radiators suck and fail every ten years, but that's another ten years from now. Also you better be filling that engine with the proper coolant when the hose comes off.

You're an environmental tech, you know ethylene glycol is really bad for the environment.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Dumping money into a vehicle worth a pittance is the last thing I'm going to be critical of. At least the RyTrukk is fixable, I dont see anything terminal

I don't get all the hate, the truck's a known quantity, it's not rusted out, body's in fine shape, no other option is going to be cheaper than doing maintenance on this one, and budgeting for repairs down the line, like he could buy a newish box truck with 75k on it for $10k, and there's no guarantee it hasn't been abused, and the transmission's not one hard launch away from popping.

corgski posted:

RyTruk: Ryder Die

You have the power to change the thread title, and you didn't immediately change it to this ???

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

Thank you.

Ry, I want you to succeed. This thread moves too fast now for me to be able to have time to contribute. I will share one thing. I think your greatest problem is not dreams or attempting to achieve them, I think your greatest impediment to achieving dreams is your impulse control. Another poster said how you're accidentally doing a lot of stuff that is costing you in health, finances, time, etc. I have a similar problem which is why I can spot it. I do a lot of stuff myself, too. The list of stuff I want to accomplish is longer than my arm. If I spend time on each item equally then nothing gets done at all year in year out. I'm trying to focus my time better to get one or two things done and then move onto the next one or two things. This has allowed me to actually get things off my plate and my list smaller.

A specific example of how you're hurting yourself is eating that much fast food. Number one, massively unhealthy. Number two, think about what materials that money can be buying you. Saving $10 a day is $50 in a week of work and that's quite a bit of supplies for your real goals.

I liked your post about things you're correcting direction/fixing. I'm glad you're considering walking away from the land purchase. There is so much land opportunities out there that you don't need to buy a dud of a deal.

Finally, the person who said you're a golden retriever of a human was absolutely right. I'm really enjoying reading about what's going on here. I'm glad you're getting your CO issue fixed because I really don't want you to die. One of these days maybe I'll see a documentary of what you did like the one I showed you of the Alaska dude and his cabin.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Elviscat posted:

and the transmission's not one hard launch away from popping.

Without knowing more, the fact that it stalls in gear at idle tells me this one kind of is.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

quote:

You have the power to change the thread title, and you didn't immediately change it to this ???

Doing anything mod related from a phone is misery. And Jeff and Astral are more focused on things like "fixing radium's load bearing slurs so the forum doesn't vanish" than "making mod tools that are slightly more usable from a phone." :argh:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

I don't get all the hate, the truck's a known quantity, it's not rusted out, body's in fine shape, no other option is going to be cheaper than doing maintenance on this one

This is the problem: it's overwhelmingly likely that you are wrong about that. People have posted examples in this very thread of better sorted vans with a total purchase price of less than my mental tally of the amount of work this one needs.

And the scope and type of work that needs to be performed is only further complicated by him living in it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Danknificent posted:

God help me, let me get serious just this once:

If Ry won’t budge on the truck, then maybe we can meet him where he is, acknowledging that it’s sub-optimal, and propose however the truck situation can best be salvaged.

His presenting request to the thread isn’t “give me the blueprint for optimal homelessness so I can start over from scratch” — it’s “I have this land and this truck and I want to make it work”

The land and the truck might suck, but if we go from a place of accepting that they are not negotiable to him, I’m guessing there’s a way to make them at the very least not kill him.

We can’t treat him. We can’t change him.

It is a waste of time to try to convince him to make a radical change to embrace your functional goon vision of practical homelessness.

It’s potentially constructive to offer achievable suggestions toward making *his* vision of cool guy homelessness less bonkers/perilous.

:goonsay:

Source: my state license to practice clinical mental health therapy

This is a very good post and aligns with my experiences of being "house mom" in a series of punk houses when I was younger, where everyone has untreated mental health issues and the biggest concern is making sure you don't wake up to cops and/or a corpse in the morning.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

This is the problem: it's overwhelmingly likely that you are wrong about that. People have posted examples in this very thread of better sorted vans with a total purchase price of less than my mental tally of the amount of work this one needs.

And the scope and type of work that needs to be performed is only further complicated by him living in it.

I have a room in my boss's house I can live in while it gets worked on. I pull all my bedding and such out of it when I'm ready to do major work to it. Then put it back in when I'm done.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Explain this "controlled fail point" because there should be no such thing in a vaguely working car / truck cooling system.

If a coolant hose is popping off, then there is likely more than just a head gasket wrong.

Please enlighten me on the above please Ryth. I want this controlled fail point explained

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Alright, this thread is a lot to digest --- much like Ry's diet of 18 loving pieces of fried chicken a day, plus mac & cheese, plus all the biscuits that come with those buckets. So I'm a little confused as to the design here, after Spooky here mentioned NO PROPER REAR DOOR.

The French doors are going where the old roll-up back door used to be, I got that right? So the only thing keeping the truk safe from illegal entry is a bunch of glass. And I assume French door glass isn't like auto glass, which takes a bit of effort to break?

What's to stop a thief, or even just some random drunk/meth'ed-up hooligan, from breaking the panel nearest the handle with a convenient rock the size of a baseball, and getting in?

The French doors are like 2/3rds into the box, as entry to the closet thing he’s sleeping in behind the cab

He’s said that he is going to buy a gun and if anyone tries to enter his unsecured abandoned vehicle he will murder them. I think he might have cooled off on the idea, but he didn’t include it on his list of learning so I dunno

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's the failure point one of the coolant lines will break / pop before something else fails, it's very confusing if you ask me. It's also really not cool for the environment to be dumping glycol and other chemicals all over it but know what.. at least when the engine is off / breaks it wont make noise.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

SA posters: "Anyone who really knows cars will tell you not to dump more than a vehicle is worth into it. Especially not repeatedly."

AI posters: "Uhhh, yeah. We'll tell you that..."

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

AdmiralViscen posted:

The French doors are like 2/3rds into the box, as entry to the closet thing he’s sleeping in behind the cab

He’s said that he is going to buy a gun and if anyone tries to enter his unsecured abandoned vehicle he will murder them. I think he might have cooled off on the idea, but he didn’t include it on his list of learning so I dunno

Wow wow wow. I never said a thing about murdering someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I have a room in my boss's house I can live in while it gets worked on. I pull all my bedding and such out of it when I'm ready to do major work to it. Then put it back in when I'm done.

If you can't be talked out of this you NEED to get this thing mechanically sorted FIRST. While you have somewhere to live. Then you should buy appropriate-climate camping gear and consider that to be your home. Then and only then should you start "upfitting" the interior.

FYI, I'm mentally tallying $8k in repairs minimum. This is not maintenance. REPAIRS. That leaves you with suspension, exhaust, transmission, cooling system and engine in "eh, it will probably make it another 10k miles without a 4 figure repair" condition.

Speaking of suspension problems, since you have planning problems you're going to overload this thing. You've already got the wring kind of framing in there, and a residential door that you want to install. Keep going like that and this thing is going to be permanently stationary right quick.

Any good upfit begins with a weight budget and a materials plan to meet it and allow enough overhead for provisions and passengers.