Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ataxerxes posted:

My one grandfather who fought in WW2 never talked about it and I kinda wanted to find more about it.

Mine* said “I drove a general around in a Jeep.”

He did not say “through Dachau and other concentration camps.”

*I should probably add that my grandfather was American at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No, a de-motorized force will barring a miracle always lose to a motorized force because the motorized force cannot be compelled into contact except on its own terms. WW2 pretty conclusively proved this point.

(before anyone starts, we're talking about conventional forces squaring off in a conventional war, yes an irregular force willing at accept enormous casualties can in the long run force a motorised occupier to withdraw).

e: ^^ that is an important clarification

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Keep in mind that if you removed all motorization from a force it would effectively be unable to field any kind of artillery, not even 81mm mortars unless they had an NLF-style unit seeding the combat area with caches full of weapons and supplies beforehand. If you're wondering how units fighting modern style conflicts with no motorization and big units worked.. Even then, the people making the caches had motorized transport.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Also the size of the two forces matters a great deal and probably should be specified as well. A company trying to attack an entrenched battalion is stupid and likely not going to be easy even under normal conditions, while a battalion going against a company that's supported by armor and mechanized elements becomes much more interesting, particularly depending on era.

What's the rule-of-thumb again? You want something like 3:1 numerical superiority before attacking an entrenched enemy?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the rule-of-thumb again? You want something like 3:1 numerical superiority before attacking an entrenched enemy?

3:1 force ratio. All other things being equal that means numbers, but every nation's military secrets includes an awful lot of analysis on what they think is a force multiplier and how much it shifts the ratio.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Panzeh posted:

Keep in mind that if you removed all motorization from a force it would effectively be unable to field any kind of artillery, not even 81mm mortars unless they had an NLF-style unit seeding the combat area with caches full of weapons and supplies beforehand. If you're wondering how units fighting modern style conflicts with no motorization and big units worked.. Even then, the people making the caches had motorized transport.

I think an 81mm mortar is deployable by leg infantry. The heaviest component is 35 lbs. That's very unpleasant but certainly possible. Rounds are 10lb a piece. Spread the weight out over a company-sized force and you can definitely get a mortar in to action.

Under current TOE it would be hard to deploy a large volume of integral fire support, but pre-motorized forces deployed all kinds of heavy artillery. You just need a poo poo load of draft animals, access to water, and a lot of forage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fartknocker posted:

Also the size of the two forces matters a great deal and probably should be specified as well. A company trying to attack an entrenched battalion is stupid and likely not going to be easy even under normal conditions, while a battalion going against a company that's supported by armor and mechanized elements becomes much more interesting, particularly depending on era.

Yeah, I mean I think a modern highly trained and motivated light infantry battalion could probably march 25 miles over the course of a couple days or whatever and attack and defeat an unsupported low morale mechanized infantry company. But that's a specific light infantry formation trained to fight in a specific way, which I don't think is what the question really asks.

I think the question is kind of silly because the whole point of motorized/mechanized infantry is that it's got a TOE and training and doctrine that involves the use of motorized and mechanized equipment to kill things. Similarly if you stick the light leg infantry in AFVs they're not going to perform well because that's just not what they're set up to do.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Xerxes17 posted:

I know I've posted this conjecture before, but I disagree. Any reduction in passive armor will make an AFV more vulnerable to KE threats, which won't be going away. Instead I can see the Armata T-14 design pattern becoming the norm, more due to sensor improvements and the aforementioned threat evolution. The hard question is "what is the focus of protection?" and the answer is "the crew compartment". By moving the crew into the hull, you put them in a less threatened zone, and can concentrate your armor budget on the hull front, skimping on the turret's, which can still be "protected" in the sense that its profile has been radically reduced from the front, and can be given better elevation limits too.

I thought about addressing KE with those posts but ultimately didn’t; you’re certainly not wrong, but I think the next major leap for APS is the improvement in reaction times and projectile response so that KE is a part of equation. Stopping a long rod is certainly a lot more difficult but not impossible; some systems have already done it, just not in a truly practical format. The Russians say they can already do this with the system on the T-14 while and while I highly doubt that, it doesn't seem at all out of our reach in the next decade or 2.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 4, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

Might need some giant scare quotes around "learn the local language" there, bub.

smdh

e: like, do you think that's the only thing the normans didn't do out of that list

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ataxerxes posted:

My one grandfather who fought in WW2 never talked about it and I kinda wanted to find more about it. Also, cheap model planes and later trying to understand what had happened and why.

I was always into cool rear end jets and stuff for as long as I can remember. My dad used to take me to air shows as our thing and growing up in san antonio there were a lot of them and high quality. My moms dad was a gunner on b17s and spent a year or so in a camp after getting shot down. He died unexpectedly when I was in 6th grade and just getting old enough to wrap my head around war and things of a higher level than ‘dude shooting a rifle at another dude’ and I wanted to find out more about the mighty 8th and what they did and it kind of spiraled out from there. I’ve always been into tech too as a ‘wow that’s cool’ level enthusiast and the most cutting edge stuff is either spacecraft or military hardware. Understanding how that hardware is used is kind of a secondary motivation but it all snowballs as we all know.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
A grunt unit could move an 81mm mortar by hand over a long distance but it would suck. Everyone is already maxed on weight so spread loading ammo means you’re leaving behind other types of ammo or batteries instead.

For distances, a few years ago the marines updated the readiness standards so that grunt units have to do 20mi in a single hike and non grunt units 10 or 12 I think. I believe this is an annual requirement.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Keep in mind that the 1st infantry division is an infantry division in name only. By this time, the difference between a US infantry division and armored division is somewhat notional. The true blue infantry divisions in the US army were the various 'light' infantry brigades.

Oh thanks I didn't know that. Makes more sense to me then! Do you know why they might start with Bradley's in front rather than the Abrams?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

cav is back babey

Britain just can't catch a break :smith:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Panzeh posted:

"We are safe here, mon ami. There’s just no way the Vietnamese can bring artillery through that terrain!"

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Draft animals make it dooable, or lots and lots of porters, but those have been neccesary for armies to move for millenia.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Vietnamese managed to do some logistics with bicycles, didn't they?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Bicycles are underrated for their military utility. They're similar to skis in many ways.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
In my highly limited experience, bicycles are a great mobility multiplier of an individual combatant and their personal gear, but limits the ability to haul squad/platoon/company level assets below even of what is possible on foot. You can have two walking dudes pick up a generator to carry between them, but can't do the same on bicycles. At the same time, having even a single working truck with a ton of bicycles would probably boost an infantry company's mobility by a huge factor over a foot-mobile unit equipped with a single truck.

Obligatory image:

Interestingly, this might be scenario where winter and snow actively improve mobility: troops on skis, equipped with pulks, are probably gonna be able to haul more stuff than a similar sized unit on foot or on bicycles. The speed doesn't hold up to what's possible on bike, but the offroad capabilities are significantly better.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Throw that generator on the back of the bike, tie it down, and start pedaling. It's not that hard.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My understanding is that in Vietnam, the bicycles weren't so much ridden as they were pushed along, to allow individuals to carry large loads across longer distances. See e.g.

https://www.vietnamheritage.com.vn/pushing-to-victory/

quote:

A pack bicycle could carry 200-300 kg, five times more than a man. It could operate on many kinds of terrain inaccessible to motorised vehicles. Bikes didn’t consume fuel and were easier to fix and to camouflage. The groups could be small or big, and they could move in any weather.
To increase the load capacity of the bikes, the bike pushers tied a meter-long piece of bamboo, called a ‘throne’s arm’, to the handlebar, making it easier to steer. They removed the seat and attached a 50-cm bamboo tube in its place, to help keep the bicycle upright and push it ahead.
The bike pushers welded more iron and tied wood sticks to the frame to make it sturdier, and they tied old cloths and inner tubes to the tiers to help them last longer. Two bikes, ‘coupled’ together, could carry two wounded soldiers, or four, if they could sit. Bikes that had a headlight could also be used to aid surgeons as they worked in the night. The record for a bicycle load was 352 kg. It belonged to Mr Ma Van Thang (Phu Tho caravan).

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 4, 2021

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Throw that generator on the back of the bike, tie it down, and start pedaling. It's not that hard.

A 50kg hunk of metal 50cm x 50cm x 75cm is not something you just "throw on the back of the bike", especially in scenarios where you also need to carry a rucksack of personal equipment. At the same time, some sort of a bicycle attached cart thingymabob might be useful in the same way a pulk is useful, but I don't think those are quite as standard equipment as pulks are for ski-mobile infantry.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Loezi posted:

A 50kg hunk of metal 50cm x 50cm x 75cm is not something you just "throw on the back of the bike", especially in scenarios where you also need to carry a rucksack of personal equipment. At the same time, some sort of a bicycle attached cart thingymabob might be useful in the same way a pulk is useful, but I don't think those are quite as standard equipment as pulks are for ski-mobile infantry.

Put dynamos on bikes and link a platoon or a company pedaling together, there's your generator.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What was the comfiest tank ever to see service? Most legroom, calmest turret monster, wet bar, whatever makes you say "that is the tank I want to serve in."

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Lone Badger posted:

What was the comfiest tank ever to see service? Most legroom, calmest turret monster, wet bar, whatever makes you say "that is the tank I want to serve in."

a one that's being used for training statesides

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Inb4 boiling vessel vehicle

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm currently reading through a history of the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment in Operation Market-Garden, and specifically their involvement in seizing the bridges over the Waal River at Nijmejen, and the difficult task (to put it mildly) of launching a river crossing, in canvas boats, in broad daylight, against active opposition on the other bank.

Does anyone have a larger perspective on this area that could comment on why they didn't drop a force on the northern bank of the Waal? All of the maps that came with the book were very zoomed-in.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm currently reading through a history of the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment in Operation Market-Garden, and specifically their involvement in seizing the bridges over the Waal River at Nijmejen, and the difficult task (to put it mildly) of launching a river crossing, in canvas boats, in broad daylight, against active opposition on the other bank.

Does anyone have a larger perspective on this area that could comment on why they didn't drop a force on the northern bank of the Waal? All of the maps that came with the book were very zoomed-in.

The 82nd airborne was also tasked with securing the Grave bridge, and since they needed to keep a line of communications open with the drop zone to stay supplied, particularly with artillery ammunition, a location between the Nijmeghen bridge and grave bridge makes sense. Having the same DZ for both legs of the operation reduced the amount of troops needed for maintaining the DZ and allowed more men for the actual taking of objectives.

There's a tendency to second-guess the drop zone choices in the op but the only one that I think was truly badly planned was the 1 AB's. The others largely make sense given the tasking of the divisions involved.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 4, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

The 82nd airborne was also tasked with securing the Grave bridge, and since they needed to keep a line of communications open with the drop zone to stay supplied, particularly with artillery ammunition, a location between the Nijmeghen bridge and grave bridge makes sense. Having the same DZ for both legs of the operation reduced the amount of troops needed for maintaining the DZ and allowed more men for the actual taking of objectives.

There's a tendency to second-guess the drop zone choices in the op but the only one that I think was truly badly planned was the 1 AB's. The others largely make sense given the tasking of the divisions involved.

oh okay, yeah the first third of the book did cover the taking of the Grave bridge, so that makes sense

I wasn't really trying to second-guess the DZ's so much as thinking "okay, I know I'm missing something", which is why I asked

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

The T-70 was pretty comfortable, surprisingly enough. It was one of the most reliable Soviet tanks of its time, plenty of leg room since Astrov himself was pretty tall, no turret basket, so no turret monster. You're going to have some issues in combat though, especially the poor saps who had to crew them in 1943.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bicycle troops are dragoons.

Also you can certainly bring that generator on the bike. Don't even need straps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PkTwJ347Vk

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Carillon posted:

Oh thanks I didn't know that. Makes more sense to me then! Do you know why they might start with Bradley's in front rather than the Abrams?

I never worked with Bradleys specifically, but sometimes we'd put AAVs in front of tanks. AAVs go up and do something, tanks sit back and provide fire support.

1. AAVs have more eyes. Open the back hatches and you get a couple dozen grunts who can help you look for enemy infantry, which is really helpful.

2. AAVs with MCLCs (Mile Clearance Line Charges) were in front of tanks when breeching the minefields in the Gulf War, for obvious reasons.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Fangz posted:

My understanding is that in Vietnam, the bicycles weren't so much ridden as they were pushed along, to allow individuals to carry large loads across longer distances. See e.g.

https://www.vietnamheritage.com.vn/pushing-to-victory/

:eyepop: Brb, starting defense company selling military pack bikes. 300kgs transported by one man over long distances :eyepop:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Loezi posted:

A 50kg hunk of metal 50cm x 50cm x 75cm is not something you just "throw on the back of the bike", especially in scenarios where you also need to carry a rucksack of personal equipment.

You're not Dutch, so I don't blame you for not knowing, but this isn't a problem.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nenonen posted:

Britain just can't catch a break :smith:

Vaguely related, I watched Waterloo as I usually do every one or two years and it still cracks me up the movie barely shows you why the Union Brigade is attacking. Just a brief shot of a battery being briefly sabered without mentioning the whole scattering a divisional level amount of men before they run out of steam and are lanced.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'm reading today that Soviet troops were provided with 2,4-Dinitrophenol tablets in WWII in order to "keep warm."

This is a substance that, in addition to being a militarily useful high explosive, was sold as a diet pill in the 1920s. And it actually does make people lose weight, but it does so in a horrifically unsafe fashion: by uncoupling oxidative phosphorylation and inhibiting the function of your cellular mitochrondria. Basically your metabolism becomes less efficient, and you need to burn more calories to, well, live. So your body temperature goes up, and you feel warmer. Trouble is that sometimes your body temperature goes up too much and you die. It also caused cataracts, organ failure, all sorts of bad things.

And ultimately, side effects aside, this seems like a dumb thing to give soldiers because while they might feel warmer now you also need to feed them more. And while I say that I'm reading this today, I'm reading it in a source that's really untrustworthy in general:

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-history/drug-russians-took-beat-nazis/

And I see some references to the practice in medical literature, but they only describe it anecdotally.

Is there any real evidence that this was a Soviet Army practice or is this just mil-UL bullshit?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah the references seem to all point to this 1986 article that you probably refer to and that I can't seem to find a full text of rn: https://europepmc.org/article/med/3788046

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

SeanBeansShako posted:

Vaguely related, I watched Waterloo as I usually do every one or two years and it still cracks me up the movie barely shows you why the Union Brigade is attacking. Just a brief shot of a battery being briefly sabered without mentioning the whole scattering a divisional level amount of men before they run out of steam and are lanced.

Bad cav island can't even catch a break on film

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

You're not Dutch, so I don't blame you for not knowing, but this isn't a problem.

I'm not, but I did use bicycles a bunch during my military service -- including attempting to transport e.g. engineering materiel with them, as shown in the image above -- but I suppose I'm just bad at bicycles, then :shrug:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Bike trailers work great, but once you're towing over like 200lbs any small hill is a pretty brutal workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Leopard ½ has the best ventilation around. Just make sure you keep the enemy to the front and right.