Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

OANN and Newsmax have seen comparable ratings spikes as Fox has plunged, but I think that only accounts for like a third of Fox's hemorrhaging. It seems like it's a three way split between pendulum swingers going to MSMBC and CNN, people just turning off their TVs and not going anywhere else, and the hardliner wackadoodles scrambling to find an even purer source of TRUMO because Fox News just doesn't get them high anymore.
Yes this is my read as well

Fox didn’t want to get sued so they mostly stayed away from the Mike Lindells of the world who were peddling election conspiracies, and that made the CHUDS upset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes this is my read as well

Fox didn’t want to get sued so they mostly stayed away from the Mike Lindells of the world who were peddling election conspiracies, and that made the CHUDS upset

Anecdotal but i work in an office with mostly conservative employees and the break room TVs used to be either FOX or ESPN. Since Jan 6, its been all ESPN

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

Anecdotal but i work in an office with mostly conservative employees and the break room TVs used to be either FOX or ESPN. Since Jan 6, its been all ESPN

I've seen scattered grassroots campaigns online lately to try and convince places with public waiting rooms or waiting areas with TVs like hospitals, hotel lobbies, garages, airports, ect. to change their default channels from Fox to stuff like ESPN, HGTV, or Discovery Channel. Don't know if that's actually making any headway in the real would, but it would be nice it actually was because an unsmall chunk of Fox's viewership is actually just TVs left on 24/7 in public spaces.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It truly is amazing but how many places I had been to in the last 15+ years and the lobby or whatever tv was set to Fox News

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

clean ayers act posted:

Good

I do get the impression that now that Trump is gone, a lot of the less politically active people have kind of just gone back to not caring about politics again (this is somewhat true on both sides of the aisle, but definitely more so Republicans).

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Iron Crowned posted:

It truly is amazing but how many places I had been to in the last 15+ years and the lobby or whatever tv was set to Fox News
yeah it's been a significant fraction of their ratings and any notable shift away from that is going to leave a mark on top of the OANN/Newsmax move

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's also the thing that FN's viewbase was olds and year those dont last forever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I always ask places I'm in that are showing FOX to change it and they usually will. Occasionally, I'll get some blow back and attitude about it in which case I leave.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

clean ayers act posted:

Amen, can we just do that everywhere? How about nature shows? It's kind of sick to have any modern cable news station on the TV all of the time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

paternity suitor posted:

Amen, can we just do that everywhere? How about nature shows? It's kind of sick to have any modern cable news station on the TV all of the time.

I can almost guarantee that 85% of the time, it's some boomer being the first appointment of the day demanding that the disaffected receptionist change the channel so they don't miss Fox and Friends.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I can almost guarantee that 85% of the time, it's some boomer being the first appointment of the day demanding that the disaffected receptionist change the channel so they don't miss Fox and Friends.

The other 15% is the CHUD business owner insisting that everyone needs to learn the fair and balanced news

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I love how right wing media is simultaneously saying that states opening back up fully is good because covid isn't a big deal but also there's a gigantic crisis with immigrants that are covid positive being released.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I love how right wing media is simultaneously saying that states opening back up fully is good because covid isn't a big deal but also there's a gigantic crisis with immigrants that are covid positive being released.

Two hours apart:

https://twitter.com/wilhutton/status/1367471630713290754?s=20

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ok, but have you considered "USA! USA! USA!" and that we're a christian nation?

"Freedom" and stuff? Troops?

Really makes ya think.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
There's a comment on that bottom tweet sarcastically going "Because legal Texas citizens and illegal immigratns are the same thing."

Ah yes, see, what a fool I was. I had forgotten it's impossible for legal citizens to spread a disease, they can only catch it, so as long as there's no illegal immigrants covid can't possibly spread regardless of how many legal citizens have it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Groovelord Neato posted:

One of the most uplifting recent political news was finding out that smiling dipshit wearing the band aid with a purple heart drawn on it on her cheek at the 2004 RNC is dead.
Please tell me she had something terrible and died alone?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

I've seen scattered grassroots campaigns online lately to try and convince places with public waiting rooms or waiting areas with TVs like hospitals, hotel lobbies, garages, airports, ect. to change their default channels from Fox to stuff like ESPN, HGTV, or Discovery Channel. Don't know if that's actually making any headway in the real would, but it would be nice it actually was because an unsmall chunk of Fox's viewership is actually just TVs left on 24/7 in public spaces.

At work people put TVs in a few of the lobbies so people standing in line have something look at. When they first went in, they were set to CNN, because its just the most generic news. People complained. So it was set to Fox for awhile. Different group complained. ESPN? More complaints. HGTV, fewer complaints, but the people working there hated it. Food Network. Still complaints.
Eventually a few got these little roku like sticks that pull in curated news/weather and such. Finally people shut up.

Also for viewership numbers, they only count people who respond to the Neilsen mailers, or the weirdos who signed up for the full tracking. A TV on in a building doesn't show up. At last as far as I know.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Can't go wrong with an endless loop of pneumatic press videos

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

CitizenKain posted:

Also for viewership numbers, they only count people who respond to the Neilsen mailers, or the weirdos who signed up for the full tracking. A TV on in a building doesn't show up. At last as far as I know.

Do they still do the self-reported mailers? I was a Nielsen family 8 or 9 years ago with the self-reporting booklet and it was weird to have the implicit pressure to watch television. I always wondered how honest people were with those, too, so Fox News’ ratings slide makes me doubly curious about the ratings methodology.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Before COVID hit Nielson reached out to me and was gonna send me their phat mailer.

Then we all went into quarantine and it just fell through the cracks.

I could have been a tastemaker!

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Missing Donut posted:

Do they still do the self-reported mailers? I was a Nielsen family 8 or 9 years ago with the self-reporting booklet and it was weird to have the implicit pressure to watch television. I always wondered how honest people were with those, too, so Fox News’ ratings slide makes me doubly curious about the ratings methodology.

Before I moved across the country I used to get letters from arbitron/neilsen with a $5 or $10 dollar bill in it asking me to fill out radio surveys and mail them back. I'm not sure if I was part of a program or if me just sending in the first one put me on a list for recurring survey to track my listening habits over time. These days don't they send you some kind of tv listening widget to take the honesty question out of equation?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

Please tell me she had something terrible and died alone?

Sadly I don't think there was granular information it's just she died.

She was a great illustration of how the performative cruelty poo poo was always part of the party and didn't start with Trump. His "base" was always there.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Sekhmnet posted:

Before I moved across the country I used to get letters from arbitron/neilsen with a $5 or $10 dollar bill in it asking me to fill out radio surveys and mail them back. I'm not sure if I was part of a program or if me just sending in the first one put me on a list for recurring survey to track my listening habits over time. These days don't they send you some kind of tv listening widget to take the honesty question out of equation?

Yep. We send you a PPM device. It’s like a pager that picks up encoded signals that tells us what you listen to or experience by being near.

Only the big markets get PPM though since it so expensive. Small markets still self report through the radio diaries.

Also if we call you please say yes you will help.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Yep. We send you a PPM device. It’s like a pager that picks up encoded signals that tells us what you listen to or experience by being near.

Only the big markets get PPM though since it so expensive. Small markets still self report through the radio diaries.

I understand this is probably your job so this isn't directed at you personally but why the gently caress would I ever want to help advertisers?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I understand this is probably your job so this isn't directed at you personally but why the gently caress would I ever want to help advertisers?

It would mean that the things you enjoy watching get taken more seriously. When I did Arbitron radio diaries, you bet your rear end I filled in every minute I listened to the local, publicly funded dance music radio station.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Thank you for explaining that. It's nice to see that even on these dying forums that we can find people who know what they're talking about.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Honestly? If you don’t that’s cool. The official reason you should do it is to have your voice heard regarding what your local area is listening to. Wonder why there are a billion religion stations in your neck of the woods? That’s why, the folks doing the ratings (usually old folks) love that stuff.

I’d do it though just to say gently caress you to shows or stations I don’t like and therefore don’t listen to. The diaries also have a comment section that are poured over by folks who buy ratings, and I know hosts and DJs get shown them.

If you have a PPM device we give you a shitload of money if you are a under represented or hard to reach demographic. That helps too.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Honestly? If you don’t that’s cool. The official reason you should do it is to have your voice heard regarding what your local area is listening to. Wonder why there are a billion religion stations in your neck of the woods? That’s why, the folks doing the ratings (usually old folks) love that stuff.

I’d do it though just to say gently caress you to shows or stations I don’t like and therefore don’t listen to. The diaries also have a comment section that are poured over by folks who buy ratings, and I know hosts and DJs get shown them.

If you have a PPM device we give you a shitload of money if you are a under represented or hard to reach demographic. That helps too.

Is there ever a problem with those people getting bribed to watch/report specific content?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Republicans posted:

Is there ever a problem with those people getting bribed to watch/report specific content?

Yep, occasionally. Usually happens when some shock jock offers concert tickets or similar for someone’s diary, or to fill it out with just their show. When we find out (and we always do since other stations rat them out) we have to put a disclaimer in their ratings book that the station tried to bias things for the diary week it occurred.

The placement call where we ask homes to accept the diary has a screener question regarding bias which helps some. Also, the quickest way to have us never call you again is to say you are “media related” and we will nuke your number from ever being called again.

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 7, 2021

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I was a Nielson house with a little tracker attached to my TV for a couple years. I was making small talk with the guy on the other end while he took down my info and he mentioned that if you refuse they have to go hunting for someone else in your area in the same demographic in order to keep their cross-section of the populace reasonably representative of the actual population. I asked if that was as much of a pain in the rear end as it sounded and his voice took on the tone of a battle-hardened veteran when he asks whether you want *really* want to know what it's like in the poo poo.

For real though, it's free money and a good conversation piece.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

TheArchimage posted:

For real though, it's free money and a good conversation piece.

The bills they sent me in the mail were pristine, like right off the mint's printer pristine. I almost felt bad turning them into 40's of icehouse.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Sekhmnet posted:

The bills they sent me in the mail were pristine, like right off the mint's printer pristine. I almost felt bad turning them into 40's of icehouse.

Ha, yes we always use brand new cash for our mail in incentives. They work best in the machine that assembles our mailers

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I got $11 for doing a survey for Nielsen. They sent a dollar with the "Would you please?" letter, and when I completed the survey they sent the :10bux:. It was deffo not a new bill, but, hey - free bucks.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

MrUnderbridge posted:

I got $11 for doing a survey for Nielsen. They sent a dollar with the "Would you please?" letter, and when I completed the survey they sent the :10bux:. It was deffo not a new bill, but, hey - free bucks.

Was it a TV or Radio survey?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The "OMG, Biden and the liberals cancelled Dr. Suess" people DO understand that it was the Dr. Suess Enterprises publishing company that made this decision, right? RIGHT?

If there's an upside to being unemployed, it's that at least I don't have to listen to my co-workers endlessly bitching about this stupid poo poo and going out of their way to wear Cat in the Hat t-shirts or displaying the books.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BiggerBoat posted:

The "OMG, Biden and the liberals cancelled Dr. Suess" people DO understand that it was the Dr. Suess Enterprises publishing company that made this decision, right? RIGHT?

They don't care.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

BiggerBoat posted:

If there's an upside to being unemployed, it's that at least I don't have to listen to my co-workers endlessly bitching about this stupid poo poo and going out of their way to wear Cat in the Hat t-shirts or displaying the books.

They may have been the ones to make that decision but it was only because of the liberal mob that threatened to put them in Woke Jail. Don't you remember the tireless anti-Seuss campaigns on twitter and the ivory tower professors teaching courses like "How Dr Seuss, And By Extension All White Men, Are Literally Satan"? Some people were saying this was going to be the #2 issue on the left for 2021, right behind making putting trans pride dildo dispensers in kindergarten bathrooms nationwide. How could you miss it?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I met with my dad last weekend and he was pretty grumbly about it. Like, he was aware that it was the Seuss estate itself that made the decision, but he still felt like it was stupid, and that everyone is just too sensitive nowadays.

This is a man who routinely complains that you couldn't make Blazing Saddles in today's day and age, though, so I'm guessing he just hasn't had any updates to his worldview since he was a teenager, and is mad at the mere suggestion that things have changed.

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008
Why doesn’t he just watch Blazing Saddles on a loop then? Why remake it, or make a lovely knockoff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I met with my dad last weekend and he was pretty grumbly about it. Like, he was aware that it was the Seuss estate itself that made the decision, but he still felt like it was stupid, and that everyone is just too sensitive nowadays.

This is a man who routinely complains that you couldn't make Blazing Saddles in today's day and age, though, so I'm guessing he just hasn't had any updates to his worldview since he was a teenager, and is mad at the mere suggestion that things have changed.

show your dad this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzMFoNZeZm0