Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Patware posted:

AFAIK the issue was youtube-bot coming down on her about depictions of self-harm

they marked some of her vids as "for kids" and put them on youtube kids, too because robot see cute cartoon :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

I AM THE MOON posted:

they marked some of her vids as "for kids" and put them on youtube kids, too because robot see cute cartoon :)

? You have to set the age group when you upload a video though

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Korone is currently playing Cho Aniki, aka The Single Most Homoerotic Video Game Of All Time, and I'm having flashbacks to that old EGM article.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Tabletops posted:

But that doesn't explain Coco, whose channel I still can't set notifications for because it's apparently marked as For Kids.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You're trying to find reason in the Youtube Algorithm, down this path lies madness.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tabletops posted:

Robot see cartoon.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Nice! Not everyone loves Sans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEsN2fsV-MA

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Just Andi Now posted:

But that doesn't explain Coco, whose channel I still can't set notifications for because it's apparently marked as For Kids.

Coco? Aside from that one week where YT was out to get her, her stuff's been turning up on my home, recommended, and sidebar normally, so I don't think there's any problem there.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Brunom1 posted:

Coco? Aside from that one week where YT was out to get her, her stuff's been turning up on my home, recommended, and sidebar normally, so I don't think there's any problem there.

Does she appear in your alerts, though? I can't change her notification bell thing to anything, and instead get a popup in the lower left corner that says:

This action is turned off for content made for kids LEARN MORE

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Onean posted:

A short compilation of the times Korone's talked about her manager regarding her long streams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAJ59bF1O1Q

Korone has a good manager, but it must be hard on her to have to stay up and watch the streams too just in case something goes wrong.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Just Andi Now posted:

Does she appear in your alerts, though? I can't change her notification bell thing to anything, and instead get a popup in the lower left corner that says:

I don't really use those notifications, but I can turn the bell on just fine: in my lower left corner, the popup says "You’ll get all notifications" and whatnot.

No idea if that's a particular setting on my or your account that's making it work differently, though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

For anyone interested in Calli's pre vtuber music She's going on tour with Fake Type in April

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Kild posted:

For anyone interested in Calli's pre vtuber music She's going on tour with Fake Type in April

Kind of a generous interpretation of "pre"-vtuber if she's touring under that name now. Though I guess she can't exactly tour as Calli (not easily at least). Looks like only a few shows within Japan though - wonder if it'd have been bigger without COVID

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Just Andi Now posted:

The common fix is to cancel your subscription and then redo it.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Korone is currently playing Cho Aniki, aka The Single Most Homoerotic Video Game Of All Time, and I'm having flashbacks to that old EGM article.

She's been racing against Marine to beat the game. Marine has already beaten the game twice and at this point is just reading superchats and chatting with her viewers while waiting for Korone to finish up.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
When I try to Google more info about why Kiara is/was shadow banned from Youtube and narrow results down to the past few weeks, I get almost literally nothing. When I use another search engine I get results of people talking about it like I'd expect.

Is it possible YouTube's treatment of her is just automatically extended to Google search itself? It's really weird to me.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

The common fix is to cancel your subscription and then redo it.

Thank you, that worked. Just youtube weirdness I guess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Haachama might be on a break from streaming, but I have to think she's at least influenced a few people with Kiara's prison video and Reine's membership promo.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Nui's off for a road trip with the boys tomorrow/later today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrvbOgKmPY

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Vinigre posted:

When I try to Google more info about why Kiara is/was shadow banned from Youtube and narrow results down to the past few weeks, I get almost literally nothing. When I use another search engine I get results of people talking about it like I'd expect.

Is it possible YouTube's treatment of her is just automatically extended to Google search itself? It's really weird to me.

Kiara talked about what her and Jenma (Genma? ...her manager) discovered from their talks with Google on her re-re-debut stream and apparently Google algorithms established that her channel was hijacked (...somehow) and shadowbanned it to protect her and to minimize possible damage until the issue is resolved. As for the most popular theories for why it happened, Kiara herself pointed out that neither her move to European Australia nor Nene accidentally logging onto her account were the reason, because she was shadowbanned before either of those had happened, so they have no idea what triggered it. And no, they still don't know why all her streams for past two months are gone either.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 5, 2021

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I understand that it's cheaper to just have the algorithm take care of everything but I just don't get why youtube hasn't started doing things manually for the really valuable channels that keep running into problems. They have to be losing a good amount of revenue every time things like this happen. If it has to be the algorithm that does things for some asinine reason then why does it take so long to resolve problems? It should be trivial to see why an account has been banned or had videos removed and reverse it if the reasoning is obviously incorrect, especially for bigger streamers who have a more formal business relationship with the platform. It's just baffling.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Badingading posted:

She's been racing against Marine to beat the game. Marine has already beaten the game twice and at this point is just reading superchats and chatting with her viewers while waiting for Korone to finish up.

This was the case the last time they played one of these titles. Marine was able to use one of the configurations to help tank the danmaku which let your get farther with more lives to complete the game. Korone never switched arrangements and in the end couldn't beat the last boss. It then prompted Korone to hop onto Marine's stream so Marine could teach her how she beat it. I feel like the previous Aniki game was much more Chou Aniki then this one especially with the men's beam.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I think it's Jenma, based on the original holiveen_manager account that spawned ENMA in the L4D2 collab. Meanwhile Callie's has gone from either J or Jay to D.J. Chad.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This recently happened to hardware unboxed, an Aussie hardware review channel, iirc. Same thing, same shadowbanning. They managed to get out of it but it took them a week.

Herbotron posted:

I understand that it's cheaper to just have the algorithm take care of everything but I just don't get why youtube hasn't started doing things manually for the really valuable channels that keep running into problems. They have to be losing a good amount of revenue every time things like this happen. If it has to be the algorithm that does things for some asinine reason then why does it take so long to resolve problems? It should be trivial to see why an account has been banned or had videos removed and reverse it if the reasoning is obviously incorrect, especially for bigger streamers who have a more formal business relationship with the platform. It's just baffling.

They don't lose anything because they have no competition. Same with Twitch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Herbotron posted:

Yeah but

that'd be effort.

Grapplejack posted:

This recently happened to hardware unboxed, an Aussie hardware review channel, iirc. Same thing, same shadowbanning. They managed to get out of it but it took them a week.

Haachama, Kiara, this guy, Australia is the common denominator!

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Kanfy posted:

Namori (YuruYuri artist) drew some cute Mitos, she apparently got totally hooked after stumbling upon one of her videos. Pretty familiar story. :v:

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/1367761827988316167

This made me realize that Nene's buns are like Akari~n. Now I want to see Nene remove her buns and go super saiyan like Akari did in the anime.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Kiara talked about what her and Jenma (Genma? ...her manager) discovered from their talks with Google on her re-re-debut stream and apparently Google algorithms established that her channel was hijacked (...somehow) and shadowbanned it to protect her and to minimize possible damage until the issue is resolved. As for the most popular theories for why it happened, Kiara herself pointed out that neither her move to European Australia nor Nene accidentally logging onto her account were the reason, because she was shadowbanned before either of those had happened, so they have no idea what triggered it. And no, they still don't know why all her streams for past two months are gone either.

Something she thought that might have caused it was her changing thumbnails for previous streams too often. Also anecdotal evidence, but seems like youtube really likes to gently caress with some of the members close to the 1 mil mark (Marine a while back and Coco recently).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Herbotron posted:

The really valuable channels for YouTube are poo poo like The Tonight Show or Marvel's YouTube channel. Those are dealing with billions of views, not millions. They don't care about "small" 2 million sub channels anymore.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

RealFoxy posted:

The really valuable channels for YouTube are poo poo like The Tonight Show or Marvel's YouTube channel. Those are dealing with billions of views, not millions. They don't care about "small" 2 million sub channels anymore.

^ hololive etc are tiny potatoes compared to even modestly successful channels and groups

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ina's doing Apex with lottery selected fans

I don't think a single game has lasted more than like, two minutes from touchdown. most of them last about 30 seconds

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

Tabletops posted:

^ hololive etc are tiny potatoes compared to even modestly successful channels and groups

Guess I'd never thought of it that way. Still, I can't help but think it must be cheaper to get more humans involved to resolve issues quickly than to let a bunch of superchats and add revenue that would have been received disappear, even if it's a tiny in proportion to YouTube's overall revenue. Not to mention the more intangible losses from people feeling they can't trust the platform.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I would put HoloLive in the "modestly successful" bracket, actually. Multiple active channels with over 1 million subscribers and multiple videos a week with hundreds of thousands of views is not nothing, especially compared to the incomprehensible number of channels that are way, way smaller.

After all, they are important enough that they can actually talk to a person at YouTube and get an answer to (some of) their questions. That's literally impossible for the vast majority of content creators.

They still pale in comparison to the truly successful channels out there (or those backed by a large corporation forking out money directly to YouTube), yes, but don't underestimate just how far ahead even the smallest HoloLive VTuber is in comparison to how much there is on YouTube.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Astel's doing an unarchived singing stream right now to wind down after his apex session

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWo9gS7EE20

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Mazerunner posted:

Ina's doing Apex with lottery selected fans

I don't think a single game has lasted more than like, two minutes from touchdown. most of them last about 30 seconds

She just won a game where her team did less than 500 damage total :psyduck:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Carlioo posted:

She just won a game where her team did less than 500 damage total :psyduck:

Unranked baby

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
Astel's combination of vocal control and endurance are completely absurd

I saw a clipped video a few days ago, apparently from a drinking and chatting stream where somebody asked him why he doesn't do more collabs, and he pretty candidly talked about his difficulty reaching out to others combined with just generally not being approached for them often.

Dear Hololive help your introverted members reach out to their coworkers more, thanks

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Wudz posted:

Astel's combination of vocal control and endurance are completely absurd

I saw a clipped video a few days ago, apparently from a drinking and chatting stream where somebody asked him why he doesn't do more collabs, and he pretty candidly talked about his difficulty reaching out to others combined with just generally not being approached for them often.

Dear Hololive help your introverted members reach out to their coworkers more, thanks

That’d be nice.

It’s like when people lose their poo poo when pekora drops into a call chat stream or a birthday stream. It’s like seeing a loving cryptid

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
on that note I'm surprised how Anya said Gura reached out to her this past weekend and now they're collabing in a couple hours (Gura's first 1-on-1 collab outside HoloEN I think?)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tabletops posted:

That’d be nice.

It’s like when people lose their poo poo when pekora drops into a call chat stream or a birthday stream. It’s like seeing a loving cryptid

HEY MOONA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
speaking of collabs the official VShojo channel is hosting a collab between mel, froot, and hime. I guess it lets them show all three viewpoints on one screen, but it's an unusual choice.

https://twitch.tv/VShojo

Tabletops posted:

I do not recommend searching "pekora cryptid" hoping to find some sort of spooky monster rabbit. what you'll find is spooky, but not the fun kind.

gently caress astel's voice is good. he was singing at 160% speed earlier, and now he's hitting high notes I could never hope to achieve

basically I want this, but pekora instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwOPIgI91Ww

Wudz fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 6, 2021