Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

B33rChiller posted:

4 looks like it could be lilac also

edit: never mind, I don't know what I'm talking about

Shame yourself! But yes, without leaves and flowers they are all kind of generic and shrubby looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think these are the correct labels, pre-cut.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
kinda surprised at cutting 4 tbh

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got another dracaena to replace the one I overwatered, I put it in my 10" planter but the plastic planter it came in is 1" taller than my planter, so it sticks out and looks weird. Should I just remove the top 1" of the plastic "pot?" Or should I just "transplant" (lol) the plant into the 10" planter? I have zero plant skills, I only have indoor ones that you only need to water once a month.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I got another dracaena to replace the one I overwatered, I put it in my 10" planter but the plastic planter it came in is 1" taller than my planter, so it sticks out and looks weird. Should I just remove the top 1" of the plastic "pot?" Or should I just "transplant" (lol) the plant into the 10" planter? I have zero plant skills, I only have indoor ones that you only need to water once a month.

As long as there are drainage holes in the bottom of your planter (and it looks like there should be), pop that sucker out and put it directly into the planter.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

As long as there are drainage holes in the bottom of your planter (and it looks like there should be), pop that sucker out and put it directly into the planter.

yes, there is a hole in the bottom so the water goes into the attached saucer

Is doing this easy for someone who completely sucks at plants? just dig it out and stick it in?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Is doing this easy for someone who completely sucks at plants? just dig it out and stick it in?
That's it! :) From the looks of it, you can literally (carefully) pull the plant and all its soil out in one pot-shaped lump. Stick that in the new planter and you're done.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mediaphage posted:

kinda surprised at cutting 4 tbh

Everything's coming out for a fresh start.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

That's it! :) From the looks of it, you can literally (carefully) pull the plant and all its soil out in one pot-shaped lump. Stick that in the new planter and you're done.

okay thank you. I don't even have one of those digging tools so I will have to get/borrow one.

While we're at it, for my other indoor plants:

one sansavieria that is in the plastic pot, but it fits very snugly inside a nice dark brown pot and at the exact same height. So I don't really want to mess with this one as it's been going strong for several years.

another smaller sansavieria in a white pot that does not have drainage. Per a recommendation of someone who is very knowledgeable in this area, I put some rocks on the bottom of the white pot, and then just set the plant in it's little plastic planter on top (and some rocks are on the sides to hold it in place). It's still low in the pot enough that the plastic planter isn't visible unless you are right above it.

one zanzibar which is in a plastic planter, and is then inside a pot that has this plastic drainage thing on the bottom - it's a black circular piece with holes in it, so I think the water just does down there and then evaporates. there's no external drainage. I think for this one I could transplant it?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Generally if the outside planter has drainage holes, you can put the plant and dirt directly into that planter. Otherwise, the outside planter is really a cachepot that serves to pretty up the ugly plastic container your plant came in. That's fine, too; I have a pothos and a wandering Jew set up like this, both in dumpy plastic containers with holes on the bottom. I remove the inner containers for watering and draining, then put them back in their nice cachepots.

actionjackson posted:

one sansavieria that is in the plastic pot, but it fits very snugly inside a nice dark brown pot and at the exact same height. So I don't really want to mess with this one as it's been going strong for several years.
If it's happy where it is, sure, leave it there. I'd remove the plastic pot for watering/draining, but then you can put it right back into the dark brown outer pot.

actionjackson posted:

another smaller sansavieria in a white pot that does not have drainage. Per a recommendation of someone who is very knowledgeable in this area, I put some rocks on the bottom of the white pot, and then just set the plant in it's little plastic planter on top (and some rocks are on the sides to hold it in place). It's still low in the pot enough that the plastic planter isn't visible unless you are right above it.
This sounds okay to me, too. My wandering Jew plant is set up just like this. It's still a good idea to remove the inner pot for watering, but the rocks will take care of any lingering drips.

actionjackson posted:

one zanzibar which is in a plastic planter, and is then inside a pot that has this plastic drainage thing on the bottom - it's a black circular piece with holes in it, so I think the water just does down there and then evaporates. there's no external drainage. I think for this one I could transplant it?
It sounds like it!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thank you for the very helpful reply! I didn't realize I should just take the plant and plastic planter out when watering, though I only need to water once a month. The first plant I mentioned is sitting on a stand that collects all the water that comes out, but I don't let the water sit or anything, just empty it and wipe it down when water stops coming out.

For the zanzibar, if I transplant it, I assume I should add some new soil to get it to whatever my desired height is?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
JB, 1 is a Ligustrum.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Everything's coming out for a fresh start.
2 is Mahonia/oregon grape, 3 looks like Philadelphus/mock orange/english dogwood (does it have white flowers in spring?), 4 is buddleia for sure. 5 looks like some random small flowering fruit tree like a wild cherry or pear or other member of the Rose family, but I really don't know european trees well at all.

I'm with everyone else in thinking that they are small enough to not substantially affect the drainage, and if you are doing your testing or w/e now while they are dormant/cut down they shouldn't be sucking up much water and current conditions should be about representative of how things will be when they get removed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Righto, I'll drop an email to the engineer on Monday. Thanks friends!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

For the zanzibar, if I transplant it, I assume I should add some new soil to get it to whatever my desired height is?

Nice plant! Yes, add some soil to the bottom of the pot first so the plant will sit higher up. It might take some trial and error, but it's not difficult and your plant will be fine however it turns out. And for smaller plantings like this, I use, like, clean yogurt cups to move dirt and a regular old spoon for finer work--no fancy tools needed. You've got this.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

Nice plant! Yes, add some soil to the bottom of the pot first so the plant will sit higher up. It might take some trial and error, but it's not difficult and your plant will be fine however it turns out. And for smaller plantings like this, I use, like, clean yogurt cups to move dirt and a regular old spoon for finer work--no fancy tools needed. You've got this.

ok cool - also to clarify the one pictured won't be transplanted, but the others are even smaller. Thanks again for the help. I will post a few pics when it's finished.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If anyone's curious, the landscapers have ID'd them as following (not in this order): mahonia, buddlia, willow, philadelphus.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Any suggestions for strengthening juniper trees? I have 9 foot tall juniper and it’s been unhealthy ever since we moved to this place in north eastern Rhode Island.

It gets full sun but the soil around is really compacted which I’m working on amending to improve drainage and aeration but I’m not familiar with what these guys like.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Any suggestions for strengthening juniper trees? I have 9 foot tall juniper and it’s been unhealthy ever since we moved to this place in north eastern Rhode Island.

It gets full sun but the soil around is really compacted which I’m working on amending to improve drainage and aeration but I’m not familiar with what these guys like.

Got a picture and the species? I am only used to European Junipers, but they probably have similar requirements.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Re the previous identification, is there any chance any of them are a willow?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Jaded Burnout posted:

Re the previous identification, is there any chance any of them are a willow?

If any then 5, as it has alternating buds, but it's really hard to tell without some kind of close up. If it has/had thorns/prickles then no chance it's a willow.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RickRogers posted:

If any then 5, as it has alternating buds, but it's really hard to tell without some kind of close up. If it has/had thorns/prickles then no chance it's a willow.

OK cheers, the engineer is concerned since willows are obviously water-hungry, but since it seems to have been dead a while, I guess it's not a problem. I've been here 5 years and plant-dunce though I am I would've noticed a willow in full foliage, so either long-dead, or not a willow.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

I did it! It was very easy. I assume the root structure will grow into the new soil below it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I did it! It was very easy. I assume the root structure will grow into the new soil below it.
Excellent! :hfive: Most plant roots appreciate the wiggle room, so your plant will be happier overall.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

Excellent! :hfive: Most plant roots appreciate the wiggle room, so your plant will be happier overall.

I'm not sure what they are called, but is there something I can put at the bottom of a planter that allows drainage? For example in one of my other pots, there is this black piece of plastic at the bottom with some holes on the top that the water goes into. It would be nice to be able to buy just that piece.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I'm not sure what they are called, but is there something I can put at the bottom of a planter that allows drainage? For example in one of my other pots, there is this black piece of plastic at the bottom with some holes on the top that the water goes into. It would be nice to be able to buy just that piece.
Hmm, I can picture something like that--the built-in drainage insert, but sold separately--but I can't immediately find it.

Amazon has these: https://www.amazon.com/Drain-Smart-6-Disc-5-pack/dp/B00BLV9UFS/
and these: https://www.amazon.com/PotHoles-Drainage-Discs-Small-pack/dp/B00104EFJW/

I can't vouch for either of them, though they look like they should do the trick. But you should still have a hole in the bottom of the container that's holding your plant, or water/moisture can build up and contribute to root rot.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

Hmm, I can picture something like that--the built-in drainage insert, but sold separately--but I can't immediately find it.

Amazon has these: https://www.amazon.com/Drain-Smart-6-Disc-5-pack/dp/B00BLV9UFS/
and these: https://www.amazon.com/PotHoles-Drainage-Discs-Small-pack/dp/B00104EFJW/

I can't vouch for either of them, though they look like they should do the trick. But you should still have a hole in the bottom of the container that's holding your plant, or water/moisture can build up and contribute to root rot.

thanks, that's similar. I am wondering with this pot if I actually need to keep the plant in it's plastic container, because if I transplanted it, there's nothing to stop the soil and roots from going into the drainage basin.

Here's a picture of the bottom of it. there is no hole on the bottom of the planter itself. I think it is meant to be used with a plant that's in a separate plant container, similar to how I use rocks on the bottom of the planter for my other small one.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

thanks, that's similar. I am wondering with this pot if I actually need to keep the plant in it's plastic container, because if I transplanted it, there's nothing to stop the soil and roots from going into the drainage basin.

Here's a picture of the bottom of it. there is no hole on the bottom of the planter itself. I think it is meant to be used with a plant that's in a separate plant container, similar to how I use rocks on the bottom of the planter for my other small one.

You're meant to put the plant right in there, dirt and all. It shouldn't be a problem as far as soil and roots go, but you can always tuck a coffee filter (this kind) into the bottom of any pot before you fill it with soil and plant(s)--it'll keep everything in while letting excess water drain out. It works for pots with one big hole, drainage thingies like this, and everything in between.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

You're meant to put the plant right in there, dirt and all. It shouldn't be a problem as far as soil and roots go, but you can always tuck a coffee filter (this kind) into the bottom of any pot before you fill it with soil and plant(s)--it'll keep everything in while letting excess water drain out. It works for pots with one big hole, drainage thingies like this, and everything in between.

oh great, thanks! I think it's removable so I will probably put it in a pot that I like more.

I can't find the one I have online at all anywhere though, and it doesn't have any brand written on it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

I don't really like the semi-paper ones/coffee-filter ones like the first ones you linked very much as I don't trust them to remain permeable over time based on past experience. I've been making my way through a package of these ones which work well and aren't super expensive.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

I don't really like the semi-paper ones/coffee-filter ones like the first ones you linked very much as I don't trust them to remain permeable over time based on past experience. I've been making my way through a package of these ones which work well and aren't super expensive.
Nice! Thanks for the tip. I inherited a stack of filters from my grandma and started using them in a pinch, but these definitely look better in the long run. (A strategically placed pottery shard or perfectly sized stone can do the trick, too.)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I (hopefully) successfully transplanted my other two plants. For the zanzibar on the left, the longest part is swinging wayyy to one side. Is there a way I can reposition the plant so it will start moving in the other direction?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I (hopefully) successfully transplanted my other two plants. For the zanzibar on the left, the longest part is swinging wayyy to one side. Is there a way I can reposition the plant so it will start moving in the other direction?

Might be growing towards the best source of light depending on where you usually have it in which case you can just rotate it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

actionjackson posted:

I’ve never heard of a Zamioculcas being called a Zanzibar before

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve never heard of a Zamioculcas being called a Zanzibar before

wikipedia tells me Zanzibar gem, and Zuzu plant. I figured one of those made sense otherwise where would the second Z in ZZ come from?

also aroid palm, eternity plant, and emerald palm!

edit: feeling envious of the first image on the wikipedia page, my plant is nowhere near that :/

I'm terrible with plants though

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 10, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

actionjackson posted:

wikipedia tells me Zanzibar gem, and Zuzu plant. I figured one of those made sense otherwise where would the second Z in ZZ come from?

also aroid palm, eternity plant, and emerald palm!

edit: feeling envious of the first image on the wikipedia page, my plant is nowhere near that :/

I'm terrible with plants though

zamifolia

but yeah, you’re right it does get called a Zanzibar gem

Edit: FYI, I repotted my pot bound ZZ raven last week and found that one of the tubers had gotten rotten. Idk if it got wounded and then bacteria got in and infected it but I had to excise the whole tuber. Thing had the consistency of really runny applesauce.

The rest of the tubers seem fine. Two of the attached stalks went into the new pot with the remaining root and seem to be recovering well, the two smaller stems (there were four attached to the rotten tuber) ended up going into water to root and also seem to be pulling through.

Definitely be on the lookout for overwatering (the advice I follow is once per month, but really you have to tie it to the amount of light. A plant with too much water and way too little light that sits in an unventilated corner is at a much higher risk of going rotten than a plant that gets watered frequently but with a very active metabolism and good drying)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 10, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah definitely, I've had this one for 2-3 years with no issues, I specifically got it because of how low maintenance it is. I water once a month.

I have four plants, and they are all in the "even a total dipshit can keep this alive" category

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

RickRogers posted:

Got a picture and the species? I am only used to European Junipers, but they probably have similar requirements.

Here it is:

Will add an additional photo when awfulapp decides to stop crashing.

e:

Not sure of the species but am assuming it is a common juniper which I think is indigenous to the area but has been in decline over the past few hundred years.

bonus sphagnum moss and window cat:

Ragtime All The Time fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 10, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

We had our first day nice day this year so I spent some time doing a little clean up and surveying how everything did over the winter.

In the beds with full sun I found a whole bunch of daffodils coming up already.

Some of the sedum seems to have not given a poo poo and just kept growing all winter even if it changed colors.

Also found this gnarly, hairy little thorn covered weed. Anyone recognize it? I haven't seen it around here before but it might have been a hitchhiker with something else I planted. Looks kind of like some kind of thistle.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is snow melting fastee in a circle around the base of a sapling a sign of life? I've been worried about my fall plantings all winter.