Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
His latest blog post is about some short story he wrote in the 70s being turned into a film, and wouldnt you know he intended to write sequels and a whole series but never got round to it.

I can only assume its a parody or some form of performance art now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pseudanonymous posted:

No, I'm pretty sure, as any tactical genius would know, you get all your troops outside the walls and all your siege engines outside the walls (you don't actually use catapults to attack troops but whatever) and then fight in the night. Against the magical undead army.

You most certainly don't build a giant gently caress-off castle and retreat inside of it and defend it.

Not when you have a magical Not-Mongols Army of Regeneration +2 that can be sent to die to the last man, return as ice zombies, and still give you a massive cavalry force for later fights.

The level of stupidity in the final season is just awe inspiring.

kaworu posted:

Benioff and Weiss actually bragged about having no experience and attending "the most expensive film school ever" (in reference to 10 years of working on Game of Thrones). They also went on about what a big "sacrifice" it was to "give up 10 years of [their lives] making this show", as if it was some awful chore they had to suffer for the benefit of others. This was at the Austin Film Fest back at the end of 2019 - it was literally 2 days after that interview that they got fired from Star Wars. Was pretty wonderful.

Seeing them fall off the face of the earth would be wonderful and god knows what sort of skeletons these two gently caress ups have in their closets as well. I'd love to see the meeting notes from when Disney decided to drop them. Though it was probably something like "did you see the latest GoT?" "Yes." "So we're firing them before they ruin Star Wars, right?" "Yep." "What else do we have for Episode 9?" "Some lovely Palpatine fanfic that ends with Rey tossing most/all of her character growth as her own person." "Let's do that instead."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not when you have a magical Not-Mongols Army of Regeneration +2 that can be sent to die to the last man, return as ice zombies, and still give you a massive cavalry force for later fights.

The level of stupidity in the final season is just awe inspiring.

The Dothraki horde was a hundred thousand strong hahahaha. A hundred thousand men with their horses, and they were cool just hanging out on Dragonstone for a while with no way to feed them (even though Stannis had to leave Dragonstone because he couldn't feed his army of less than 5000) and then I guess living off the land around Winterfell somehow. According to the producers, fully half of them somehow survived the battle of Winterfell where we saw them all charge off to get eaten by zombies (so we could have that really cool shot where all their torches went out you guys). And then I guess they roamed the countryside looting and pillaging everything as the largest army Westeros has ever seen, 50,000 strong in a country where 10k is considered a pretty big army.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Speaking of the Dothraki, I'm not sure if this came up recently, but the A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry Guy did a four-part breakdown on them recently, prompted in large part by a particular GRRM quote:

Bearded Old Man posted:

The Dothraki were actually fashioned as an amalgam of a number of steppe and plains cultures Mongols and Huns, certainly, but also Alans, Sioux, Cheyenne, and various other Amerindian tribes seasoned with a dash of pure fantasy.
You may be shocked to discover that this is actually totally hallucinatory transcendent bullshit.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Dothraki rather notably refuse to cross the poison water, which is why they never crossed the Narrow Sea to pillage Westeros. This is why it's considered very strange and notable that there's a Dothraki in Vargo Hoat's company at Harrenhall. How the hell did Daenerys manage to convince them to actually get in ships and cross the poison water?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
D&D kinda forgot about that detail.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drakyn posted:

Speaking of the Dothraki, I'm not sure if this came up recently, but the A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry Guy did a four-part breakdown on them recently, prompted in large part by a particular GRRM quote:

You may be shocked to discover that this is actually totally hallucinatory transcendent bullshit.

Not if you translate "a dash" as meaning 99/100th of something. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

The Dothraki rather notably refuse to cross the poison water, which is why they never crossed the Narrow Sea to pillage Westeros. This is why it's considered very strange and notable that there's a Dothraki in Vargo Hoat's company at Harrenhall. How the hell did Daenerys manage to convince them to actually get in ships and cross the poison water?

Dragons.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Drakyn posted:

He also compares the ironborn to the vikings which also doesn't hold up. When Theon is reunited with his father, for example, he mocks him because he bought (not stole) his rings and that he has too fancy clothes. The vikings on the other hand didn't find trading shameful and they absolutely loved fancy poo poo (archaeologists has even found viking swords that was purely decorative).

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

No fooling. Hell, practically EVERYONE loves fancy poo poo.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Alhazred posted:

He also compares the ironborn to the vikings which also doesn't hold up. When Theon is reunited with his father, for example, he mocks him because he bought (not stole) his rings and that he has too fancy clothes. The vikings on the other hand didn't find trading shameful and they absolutely loved fancy poo poo (archaeologists has even found viking swords that was purely decorative).

It's almost like he just absorbed some common misconceptions about vikings and did almost no research and then just said "oh yeah they're like the vikings". Kind of shocked they didn't wear horned helmets tbh.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah people are always people. And unless you're some rare edge case like a 13th Cenury Cathar or something, "I'm too good for fancy poo poo" is not a popular opinion historically.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well, I mean, the show being garbage I can't fault anyone who might have forgotten this but Dany killed the great council of khal's at Vaes Dothrak and thus became the grand khal of all existing Dothraki.

Now why no Dothraki bothered to chuck a spear at her given that she's only immune to fire and not to swords, well, better shows had sillier moments I guess.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Libluini posted:

Not if you translate "a dash" as meaning 99/100th of something. :v:
It is very on-brand for liberal white folk to claim Native ancestry that isn't there

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

mind the walrus posted:

It is very on-brand for liberal white folk to claim Native ancestry that isn't there

I've never met any liberal in my entire life who has done this. I've know some people in the Appalachians who talked about having some native blood back a few generations and I had no reason to disbelieve them. But that is really it. Is this from personal experience or just a jab at Warren?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well, I mean, the show being garbage I can't fault anyone who might have forgotten this but Dany killed the great council of khal's at Vaes Dothrak and thus became the grand khal of all existing Dothraki.

This is pretty much what happened with Dragos horde - tradition kept them bound for like a few weeks, and then it was game on. I can't imagine a people so routed in tradition doing any of the things that happen later in the books.

Drakyn posted:

I started reading this, but got side tracked on his Fremen Mirage, and I gotta say, I don't want to read it. I love Dune, and growing up in the desert It felt like "my" book growing up. I don't feel like having the heart ripped out of it. Like I know that is shallow of me, and hardly progressive, but there you have it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TERFherder posted:

I've never met any liberal in my entire life who has done this. I've know some people in the Appalachians who talked about having some native blood back a few generations and I had no reason to disbelieve them. But that is really it. Is this from personal experience or just a jab at Warren?
It was a joke, but yeah I've seen enough white liberals irl attempt to do that poo poo over the years to try and spice up their "race credentials" or w/e. In the South it's also a common way to try and obfuscate that they have a black ancestor somewhere in the family tree.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

It was a joke, but yeah I've seen enough white liberals irl attempt to do that poo poo over the years to try and spice up their "race credentials" or w/e.

"Yep my white colonialist ancestor sure did coerce a woman of a subjugated people into marriage, and all the darkness that follows from that." Spicy!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Now why no Dothraki bothered to chuck a spear at her given that she's only immune to fire and not to swords, well, better shows had sillier moments I guess.

To be fair fire is pretty scary.

Eandr
Oct 9, 2012

TERFherder posted:

I started reading this, but got side tracked on his Fremen Mirage, and I gotta say, I don't want to read it. I love Dune, and growing up in the desert It felt like "my" book growing up. I don't feel like having the heart ripped out of it. Like I know that is shallow of me, and hardly progressive, but there you have it.

It's more about breaking down misconceptions about barbarians than about criticizing the idea of the Fremen, fwiw. There's an element about aspects of Fremen culture coming from those misconceptions, but the misconceptions are so ingrained in our culture that Herbert can hardly be faulted for drawing on them. Well worth a read.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TERFherder posted:

As I see things, either the Thing You Like is so lovely it's getting constant mockery, in which case you're forced to deal with criticism anyway, or it's good enough on its own merit it can take some mild criticism. Thinking that every bit of criticism is "ripping the heart out" is strangely wrongheaded.

I can't understand people who'd rather put their heads in the sand. I mean talking about thin-skinned, yikes

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I dunno, to my eyes it seems a bit silly to criticize someone for not facing reality in a thread about a fantasy series. Especially one in which a new book hasn't been published in nearly 10 years. Just seems to me that this thread in particular is a funny place to bring that up :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
GRRM is dog poo poo awful at world building which wouldnt be a problem for a fantasy author if he didnt proudly brag that theres some historical grounding for most of it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

indiscriminately posted:

"Yep my white colonialist ancestor sure did coerce a woman of a subjugated people into marriage, and all the darkness that follows from that." Spicy!
Well, yeah. That's the point.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

GRRM is dog poo poo awful at world building which wouldn’t be a problem for a fantasy author if he didn’t proudly brag that there’s some historical grounding for most of it.
He honestly could have gotten away with it if he was remotely humble during his come up around 1998-2000, but he absolutely started to like the smell of his own rear end and it tanked him.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Blog name checks out lol.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Well, yeah. That's the point.
What I was trying to get at is that someone who would claim an indigenous ancestor to the benefit of their race credentials hasn't thought it through, because that would just be further evidence of an immoral legacy. It would make their ancestry less interesting in the way they care about rather than more interesting. So let em have their native ancestry if they want it, it may even be true.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GRRM attempts to do what few Fantasy authors attempt and that is try and show how the sausage is made in his world. Its just that he makes so many mistakes that its as fantastical as having High Elves running around.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

indiscriminately posted:

These legends started in the 1830s, so a marriage between the hypothetical great-grandparents would probably have been much more diplomatic.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

Libluini posted:

As I see things, either the Thing You Like is so lovely it's getting constant mockery, in which case you're forced to deal with criticism anyway, or it's good enough on its own merit it can take some mild criticism. Thinking that every bit of criticism is "ripping the heart out" is strangely wrongheaded.

I can't understand people who'd rather put their heads in the sand. I mean talking about thin-skinned, yikes

When I was a teen, I met this really interesting guy named Bill. He was a speech and debate instructor and one of the first honest to god hippies I'd ever met. Patchouli oil, reeked of weed, anti-establishment, lots of acid and protesting and whatnot. He was vegan and took it very seriously. I'd never even met a vegan before, and because of the kind of person I was - I was always trying to catch him in ethical dilemmas and contradictions. We were playing volleyball one day, and I realized he had brought a leather ball. I pounced. He looked at me and said something to the effect of "Yeah, I know it's wrong, but it's the only way to play volleyball".

Eandr posted:

It's more about breaking down misconceptions about barbarians than about criticizing the idea of the Fremen, fwiw. There's an element about aspects of Fremen culture coming from those misconceptions, but the misconceptions are so ingrained in our culture that Herbert can hardly be faulted for drawing on them. Well worth a read.

It was interesting, and usually the kind of thing I'd be into. I am talking specifically about his other article https://acoup.blog/2020/01/17/collections-the-fremen-mirage-part-i-war-at-the-dawn-of-civilization/. I guess I'm just ok with noting in general that these are misconceptions, and letting Dune be Dune for a bit longer.

edit:

"Herbert can hardly be faulted for drawing on them." It's definitely less about Herbert, and 100% about me and my ability to enjoy the books ( or at least the memory of them ). A bit of blissful ignorance perhaps.

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 8, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mad Hamish posted:

Apparently all you need to do is try to kill a single pregnant (white) woman and an entire warrior culture will immediately turn a blind eye to one of their biggest fears. Like dragons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I'm learning today is that TERFherder was a huge rear end in a top hat at some point in his life and for some reason wants to tell us this in this thread about a fantasy novel author

This is beyond sad and I suggest stop digging

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Guys grrm did "what if real politic in a fantasy world" not "what if plausible logistics, sociology and technology in a fantasy setting". Gurm 'borrows' from history, his world is not historically accurate, this just means that he picks and chooses different pop history anecdotes that he fancies and uses them without context within his fantasy soap opera, and he borrows rather heavily from pop mythologies and from the fantasy genre itself; really, Gurm wanted to be Tolkein but where the people are real people.

The wall being absurdly big really doesn't matter, goons.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's funny but when you think about it I think a lot of the apparent tone of ASOIAF is really strongly colored by the presentation of the show's first season, the actors in the first season somehow managed to give off the impression that the characters they're portraying are plausible people, this was supported by the show actually showing some simple casual interactions between characters which the novels don't really have, the books have everybody acting like a renaissance faire cosplayer at all times with exaggerated heightened language and foreboding connections to the overarching plot etc etc, the show actually had Ned and Robert look like they're old friends with a complex relationship who are happy to see each other, likewise the dialog between Cersei and Robert, those scenes actually helped to create a very different tone than the one present in the books, the books are significantly nerdier.

I watched the firs season before reading the books, I guess that's also an important aspect of it.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 8, 2021

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It doesnt but you usually make a wall to keep things out. If those things arent to keep out a 500 ft tall monster then whats the point? Although I blame the show for just going with generic ice zombies rather than what GURRM could actually do (he wont).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm not gonna lie, the show's depiction of the White Walkers was so disappointing, I'm still kind of mad at the show for it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Being real the White Walkers always were lame. It's so clear GRRM only ever envisioned them as a plot device, not a "thing" unto themselves.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The wall is big because what's on the other side is scary. it's very scary and very old but now despite the wall being very big the people stopped worrying about the threat beyond the wall, and on account of the wall being very big so that is very ominous.

Of course the real grievance here, as you guys just wrote, is that the walkers sucked, they were lovely threat, it's unclear how the wall really stopped them, in fact without the wall they'd have no chance to raise zombies, so in that sense the bigness of the wall is kind of like the hatch in Lost something that promises to be epic, mysterious and meaningful but really isn't, it's just imbued with the sort of shorthand meaning that fools our chimp brains into thinking something will be meaningful.

it's much easier to write a 700ft wall than it is to justify it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The hatch is a good comparison.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

Libluini posted:

The only thing I'm learning today is that TERFherder was a huge rear end in a top hat at some point in his life and for some reason wants to tell us this in this thread about a fantasy novel author

This is beyond sad and I suggest stop digging

Thank you for trying to bring us back on topic.Since you did attack me personally, I feel it is appropriate to respond. My story was meant to illustrate that deliberately ignoring something doesn't necessarily invalidate a persons ideals. Sometimes we don't want to argue about the ethics of using leather, we just want to play volleyball. I just want to enjoy the story of Dune without examining the accuracy of the myths or stereotypes that the author relies upon. This doesn't make me thin skinned or unable to accept criticism of Thing that I like.

I agree with you that I was acting like an rear end in a top hat at the time. Much like you are acting like one now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Being real the White Walkers always were lame. It's so clear GRRM only ever envisioned them as a plot device, not a "thing" unto themselves.

What? Theyre the supposed end game for the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Good thing itll never matter ever again.