Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
lol

"The camrip is currently being auctioned at a pirated media asian website and is being essentialy held hostage for 300 dollars in bitcoin, lowest bid right now is 100.

The lowest bid for a camrip of Evangelion 3.0+1.0 right now is five million dollars in bitcoin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
hmmmm

maybe i should go back to the cinema with a camera

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
So pumped to watch this in high quality in two years when it's released on bluray in the US.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

it's ok because Shinji is actually a thousand year old dragon

I'd say that applies more to Mari and Asuka for the bulk of the film.

At any rate, the part of the film where Shinji and Mari are heavily implied to be in a relationship has them both be adults, so that's basically all water under the bridge. It just means the "how did you meet" story for their kids is going to be insane.

"Well, I met your mom when she rammed into me when parachuting into the country on a covert mission. Then she said I smelled good and ran off."

"Your grandma and grandpa brought their newborn baby son to show off at the shadowy conspiracy front we all worked at, and I thought he was the cutest thing."

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Horizon Burning posted:

there's a camrip in the wild... somewhere

https://imgur.com/a/EPHSwTZ

I dare anyone to look at two Unit-01s fighting in a living room/classroom and tell me that they haven't seen the face of god

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
thats unit 1 and 13, with shinji and gendo piloting respectively

that whole sequence rules though. it flashes to situations all throughout the series/movies, including what seemed to be an intentionally lovely cgi fight, perhaps kinda poking meta-fun at the second rebuild. it feels so good when it goes back to some 2d animation eva fights.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Yeah realizing from these images and spoilers that the kind of bad lighting tokyo-3 fight shown in the trailer that people online were instantly like, 'this looks bad for some reason why is it in the movie, must be subterfuge' is actually in the movie as part of a reality bending meta battle between Gendo and Shinji is really, really funny to me but I can't help but enjoy it. It feels like someone wanted to reference the loving Eva fighting game and player 1 and 2 both chose Eva-01

e: ↓ ah yes the Rebuild of Rebuild Evangelion Bluray project.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 10, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

looking forward to buying the Rebuild Bluray collection in 2025

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bees x1000 posted:

looking forward to buying the Rebuild Bluray collection in 2025

the import fees are gonna be killer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

the import fees are gonna be killer

I imported the series Blu rays. My wallet is ready.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

gonna be real cheesed if I don't get a normal US release to go with my other normal BDs for these rebuilds

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never actually watched the entire original eva anime, I take it the version on netflix was generally considered bad?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

there's a camrip in the wild... somewhere

https://imgur.com/a/EPHSwTZ

Creepy CGI Rei-Lilith doesn't look anywhere near as bad and off-putting as I was sold on. How disappointing.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you don't have already have formative youthful memories tied up in the ADV dub, it's fine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Acerbatus posted:

I've never actually watched the entire original eva anime, I take it the version on netflix was generally considered bad?

if you can get the platinum edition subs that's ideal but the Netflix translation is just kind of stilted, it's not unwatchable or anything

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you can get the platinum edition subs that's ideal but the Netflix translation is just kind of stilted, it's not unwatchable or anything

It is missing the use of "Fly Me to the Moon", though, so that's a disappointment.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

It is missing the use of "Fly Me to the Moon", though, so that's a disappointment.

i take it back, it is unwatchable after all

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Creepy CGI Rei-Lilith doesn't look anywhere near as bad and off-putting as I was sold on. How disappointing.

oh it absolutely does, this cam shot doesnt do it justice. just off putting though, it isnt bad at all.

it loving rules

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
tbh after the first 3 rebuilds, and the huge delays, i wasnt all that keen on seeing the new one. i thought i might as well go since there were still tickets left, i had nothing to do monday, wanted to see the opening night vibes and was still curious considering EoE is like my favourite movie ever

and i think they really knocked 4 out of the park. its been two days and i can barely stop thinking about it. its been worth the wait. i genuinely cant wait for everyone else around the world to be able to see this and share their thoughts and opinions

its not perfect or anything, but drat, they really did it.

goodbye, all of evangelion

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BB2K posted:

thats unit 1 and 13, with shinji and gendo piloting respectively

that whole sequence rules though. it flashes to situations all throughout the series/movies, including what seemed to be an intentionally lovely cgi fight, perhaps kinda poking meta-fun at the second rebuild. it feels so good when it goes back to some 2d animation eva fights.

My favorite meta-imagery from the anti-universe sequences was that it was all taking place on a sound stage with the Evas occasially crashing through backdrops for a peek behind the curtain. Then the sound stage gradually becomes less and less populated with set props as Shinji releases everyone from their guilt and sends their souls back to the regular universe and literally pulls down the shutters on their ordeal.

It was just really nice. :unsmith:

BB2K posted:

and i think they really knocked 4 out of the park. its been two days and i can barely stop thinking about it. its been worth the wait. i genuinely cant wait for everyone else around the world to be able to see this and share their thoughts and opinions

its not perfect or anything, but drat, they really did it.

goodbye, all of evangelion

Very much the same, I think I may have to go see it a second time just to sync up all my afterthoughts and check my working.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

i’m ok with Netflix Eva subs but that ultra dull ending substitute song is a downer for sure

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

My favorite meta-imagery from the anti-universe sequences was that it was all taking place on a sound stage with the Evas occasially crashing through backdrops for a peek behind the curtain. Then the sound stage gradually becomes less and less populated with set props as Shinji releases everyone from their guilt and sends their souls back to the regular universe and literally pulls down the shutters on their ordeal.

i think really nice :unsmith: is a perfect way to describe it. kind of fanservicey, but in a way that works for the movie's themes

theres a quick translation someone did of the subtitles going around, and it was cool to see i could understand a lot of the dialogue from context/visuals alone, with my lovely japnese only being slightly helpful. im looking forward to seeing it again with what i missed in mind too.

one small cute detail i havent seen posted anywhere: depressed shinji doesnt want to take his plugsuit off, so toji puts his old track jacket on him which shinji wears for the whole first half. its nice.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

thats real hosed up

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

doomisland posted:

thats real hosed up

Yeah. I made sure to cue it up for the credits every episode. Pretty easy to find it, but it's irritating I had to.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wow uh, long-hair Rei looks pretty good.

Re: Clone Asuka. I'm assuming Rei was the first iteration in cloning, Asuka was an improvement in terms of sustainability, and Mari was just the perfected/pinnacle result.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

Very much the same, I think I may have to go see it a second time just to sync up all my afterthoughts and check my working.

I legit want to see Mega64’s take on Evangelion sweding itself.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Re: Clone Asuka. I'm assuming Rei was the first iteration in cloning, Asuka was an improvement in terms of sustainability, and Mari was just the perfected/pinnacle result.

As far as I can tell, Mari's not a clone at all. She's just one of Gendo and Yui's peers who got the curse of the Eva back in the 90s.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Scyantific posted:

The long hair Rei thing is quite interesting. There's a scene earlier where Mari cuts Asuka's hair because despite their bodies not aging their hair keeps growing, so it's implied that this is the same Rei that Shinji saved 14 years ago. However, she is also holding a crude doll labelled "Tsubame" (Toji and Hikari's daughter who other Rei took care of) so it's somehow actually both original Rei (or as original as she can be) and Other Rei.

For the clones the only reason Other Rei tangs out is because she is an imperfect clone who needs constant maintenance. In Asuka's case, on the flashbacks they intersperse training sequences with a board of potential Asukas gradually disappearing until one remains, implying that she is the result of an elimination process to make the best pilot. A lot of the exposition in this move is blink and you'll miss it type stuff.

chiasaur11 posted:

As far as I can tell, Mari's not a clone at all. She's just one of Gendo and Yui's peers who got the curse of the Eva back in the 90s.

While they don't say as much, the Makinami name suggests it given that Ayanami and Shikinami are clones. They're all named after battleships, i.e. manufactured weapons.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 10, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

The long hair Rei thing is quite interesting. There's a scene earlier where Mari cuts Asuka's hair because despite their bodies not aging their hair keeps growing, so it's implied that this is the same Rei that Shinji saved 14 years ago. However, she is also holding a crude doll labelled "Tsubame" (Toji and Hikari's daughter who other Rei took care of) so it's somehow actually both original Rei (or as original as she can be) and Other Rei.

I haven't seen the movie yet but my take on all Evangelion up till this point is there's only one Rei, and there's only ever been one Rei. Her personality changes are a result of dissociation from her memories / sense of self but the nerdy lore stuff points to there only being one soul between them all and, while this is obviously far more subjective, it's just more interesting thematically to read her progression as character growth.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I haven't seen the movie yet but my take on all Evangelion up till this point is there's only one Rei, and there's only ever been one Rei. Her personality changes are a result of dissociation from her memories / sense of self but the nerdy lore stuff points to there only being one soul between them all and, while this is obviously far more subjective, it's just more interesting thematically to read her progression as character growth.

This could well be true but Other Rei did not have any memories of her past in 3.0 and it was specifically pointed out that there was no soul in that body.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

This could well be true but Other Rei did not have any memories of her past in 3.0.

Right; the Rebuilds mix it up, instead of having her memories and feeling estranged from them she's amnesiac. But Rei in 3.0 is still this thoughtful-but-obedient person who's still working out who she is in relation to the world and struggling with the concept of independence, same as ever. A Rei by any other name...

And then the spoiler in question makes it sound to me like the end of her arc is the integration of these different strands of memory into one person. Which is rad and, frankly, almost like someone wrote "fanservice" just for me personally. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

time to smug it up for a second, i called Mari being ageless and present for Shinji's birth back in 2013, suck it doubters :laffo:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mari is old enough to have known Yui when Shinji was born.

also shout-outs to Riddle of Feel who made a much crazier correct call on the same day, mine was really just the obvious interpretation of the photo scene in 3.0 but this is some apollonian poo poo right here

The Riddle of Feel posted:

It's more likely that the -nami girls are all clones.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 10, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

time to smug it up for a second, i called Mari being ageless and present for Shinji's birth back in 2013, suck it doubters :laffo:

I get that there's timeline fuckery but, uh, I'm now more conflicted about that pairing.

Not like, I'm going to start a moral crusade over it or something but I think I'd have preferred it ended differently. :v:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 10, 2021

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
please dont take everything you read in spoilers objectively

talking about 'pairing' is missing the point almost completely

fans of things suck, please enjoy art for its own sake

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BB2K posted:

please dont take everything you read in spoilers objectively

talking about 'pairing' is missing the point almost completely

fans of things suck, please enjoy art for its own sake

I mean, I will eventually, but my Japanese isn't nearly good enough to watch a movie so I can't really enjoy it yet. :v:

I'm going to guess that's the same case for most people who are speculating about stuff here.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
cgi rei looks bad. hoping it gets touched up in the physical release

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Relin posted:

cgi rei looks bad. hoping it gets touched up in the physical release

Remember, they spent a loving decade making this movie...

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
So reading the spoilers and thinking back on the manga ending of Evangelion.

Its like poetry...etc.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The Rebuilds just make me think of how much better Anno's time would have been spent on making new stuff or films like Shin Godzilla. To me the entire exercise always felt like a long, painfully drawn out cash grab, as TV + EoE is pretty much perfect.

I'll still watch this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I dunno I prefer Rebuild to the originals.
Mind you I loved the originals but the first 2 rebuilds were a pretty good condensed form of them.