Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

new SSD is in
when installing i didn't delete the recovery partition because i didn't realise until after that fedora would probably make its own

is it worth reinstalling or nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

gently caress me dead i tried out enlightenment and it uh
its not for me

e: in fact im actually finding gnome easier to customise than enlightenment lmao

hbag fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 11, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I remember Enlightenment from back in like 1996 or 97 as catering to the discerning linux user who demanded their desktop look like a Giger painting.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Soricidus posted:

love the card tho

Yeah, it's completely quiet. I am generally the kind of boring square who prefers their PCs to be as hidden as possible, so it's just a black monolith sitting in a corner of the room not making a sound even during make -j$(nproc) while playing KSP.

hbag posted:

gently caress me dead i tried out enlightenment and it uh
its not for me

e: in fact im actually finding gnome easier to customise than enlightenment lmao

Just use KDE Plasma. The most fainciful thing I'd ever do is install the plasma integration browser extension so media controls work in the browser, and maybe KDE Connect to get your phone integrated.

I get loving around with weird poo poo is easy, but that's what VMs are for.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Also, enable wobbly windows. Just gently caress your poo poo up.
https://i.imgur.com/VUOo8iS.mp4

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

love the card tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

new SSD is in
when installing i didn't delete the recovery partition because i didn't realise until after that fedora would probably make its own

is it worth reinstalling or nah

if you’re installing Linux you’re already beyond the need for a manufacturer restore partition and this should be obvious

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Captain Foo posted:

if you’re installing Linux you’re already beyond the need for a manufacturer restore partition and this should be obvious

I mean if you really wanna hold onto it you can always back it up to an ISO before you obliterate it. That way you can restore it in the future if you want to sell the computer or something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Martytoof posted:

I remember Enlightenment from back in like 1996 or 97 as catering to the discerning linux user who demanded their desktop look like a Giger painting.

did this change?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean if you really wanna hold onto it you can always back it up to an ISO before you obliterate it. That way you can restore it in the future if you want to sell the computer or something.

Linux users hoard computers, they don’t sell them

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Martytoof posted:

everything about enlightenment is garbage, so naturally samsung used the enlightenment toolkit as the basis for tizen, which means it's absolutely horrible to work with

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened/2

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

jesus christ

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The_Franz posted:

everything about enlightenment is garbage, so naturally samsung used the enlightenment toolkit as the basis for tizen, which means it's absolutely horrible to work with

lol i remember this

SPANK! SPANK! SPANK! Naughty programmer!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh man, that reminds me of a rant I wrote once about an ERP system I used to manage. I quit that job half a year after making writing that rant.

One highlight that still haunts me: A record was just a field of bytes. You addressed things using offset and length. So if you wanted to get the article number of a SKU you'd use ART_1_8. You'd also write data into that record using that notation. It was not possible to use aliases or have a type or anything. I found a number of bugs where the offset was wrong or the length was too long and it would write into neighbouring fields.

Aaaaaaah it's all coming back. I hadn't thought about this POS in ages :psyduck:

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 11, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

At some fancy partner event I mentioned that the files used to describe printed forms (invoices, cargo lists etc.) would get randomly scrambled by the software and that I'd like it to be stable so I could use some VCS to get good diffs and have some order. They were very excited about this "VCS" thing.

A few months later they added a version comment field to the form editor. The files still got reshuffled randomly, but now you could C your Vs with their S.

They loving thanked me for my suggestion.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :psypop:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The_Franz posted:

lol I remember talking to Carsten in IRC back in the early 2000s when I was learning C. At the time I didn’t know any better and thought his ideas were novel. 16~ years later and now I understand just how insane he really is.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

pram posted:

lol i remember this

SPANK! SPANK! SPANK! Naughty programmer!

even better

quote:

Another extremely helpful message: “You bitch!”. And I’m not joking about that one either – it was discovered by a female coworker while trying to hack layouts to work. Perfect timing on EFL side here.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I actually used enlightenment back in the day for a few months, then mandrake linux (lol) shipped a new version of KDE and I forgot about it. It's weird as hell that it still exists

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a ton of people used to use enlightenment, it was the default window manager for gnome 1.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i installed enlightenment, tried to maximize a firefox window, and then immediately uninstalled it when instead of actually maximizing the window it just stretched it to fill the screen like a jpeg

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

hbag posted:

i installed enlightenment, tried to maximize a firefox window, and then immediately uninstalled it when instead of actually maximizing the window it just stretched it to fill the screen like a jpeg

Lol

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Enlightment is so old that at first I thought people were talking about elementaryOS. Enlightment is almost as historical as the historical enlightenment

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

lomarf

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i gotta say "lomarf" is one i have never seen in my fifteen years on the internet

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

hbag posted:

i gotta say "lomarf" is one i have never seen in my fifteen years on the internet

:getout:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

lurk more

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hbag posted:

fifteen years on the internet

lol baby

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

pram posted:

lol baby

lol this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
fifteen years ago i'd already been goatse'd more times than i can count

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOl2FOw_FYo

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

hbag posted:

_____\

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the yosbouncer is letting in kids with fake internet ids

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hbag posted:

Aren't you a teen? Were your parents letting you use the internet when you were like 2 or 3?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

classic goon dumbfounded by the passage of time

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

hbag posted:

My 14 years on yosiapos/yospos :grin:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rufus Ping posted:

My 14 years on yosiapos/yospos :grin:

has it really been that long :smith:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

you consistently get your age story wrong

lurk more

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018