Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Pro-tip if you don’t have space in your rack for your expensive firewall appliance, they’re not that heavy! :downs:

Entropic fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hanging network appliances upon the walls like ropes of garlic to ward off digital vampires

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
You got some serial numbers showing, I would cover those.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ewww watchguard, I feel it's fitting they are being hung, one day they will fall and you can purchase better firewalls.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

The daughter of the president of our board of directors works at one of our manufacturing faculties. She works 3rd shift. She got her bike stolen. Her bike was locked up behind the building to a chain link fence that separates our property from the local park where there were about 20 homeless tents up until a week ago. She did not lock it up to the bike rack in the parking lot.

So now it's a Big loving Deal. Why doesn't IT have camera's back there??? When are we getting camera's there?? Whose decision was it to wait so long??

Getting Meraki camera's was a bad idea because apparently now IT owns ground security? FML.

Because a loving camera showing a dude in a mask and huge loving coat would have stopped the theft? Yeah, no.

Fire her for generating unnecessary expense through carelessness, hire one of the homeless guys.

Start with the one with reliable transportation.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Hanging network appliances upon the walls like ropes of garlic to ward off digital vampires

Digital ninja vampires.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

at least they have redundancy

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Fire her for generating unnecessary expense through carelessness, hire one of the homeless guys.

Start with the one with reliable transportation.

Reminds me of that one underpaid goon who had an older car in less-than-perfect condition, and one of his management saw it in the company parking lot one day and told him to get something newer because it was making the place look bad, with zero irony or appreciation for how little the goon was paid.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bob Morales posted:

at least they have redundancy

Only one of them was powered on. I think they have a local IT company in there monkeying with stuff and they left it that way because there wasn’t much space in the rack and they were gonna come back to it anyway? Personally I would not recommend load-bearing RJ-45 tabs for mission-critical equipment even temporarily, but what do I know, I was just there looking at their phone system.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least nothing valuable was being suspended on the clips on a RJ45 plug

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Entropic posted:

recommend load-bearing RJ-45 tabs
did someone say load bearing switch

this colorful waterfall went straight down into the raised floor. PATCH PANELS? AHAHAHH

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Become a Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Ninja

If no one else is going to do this, I will:

You wouldn't like being a ninja, Bob, they wear a mask all the time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

If no one else is going to do this, I will:

You wouldn't like being a ninja, Bob, they wear a mask all the time.

:ninja:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As terrible as these are, the dark green cable strung across an aisle at neck height at the perfect point between light sensors will be hard to top for me. I really should have taken a picture of it. It felt like a personal "gently caress you" from the customer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm still incredibly mad that I spent almost an hour in our server room with a tone generator trying to figure out where the gently caress the network port for our Door system actually lead to on our panels.

Eventually we gave up and just got down on the floor and started following cables by hand.. which is when we noticed the quarter-height panel hidden underneath an overhang so it wasn't visible unless you were crouched down, with a port helpfully labeled "DOOR".

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

angry armadillo posted:

. Thumb drives? You mean it would be convenient to transfer large files between the multiple air gapped systems we make you use? Well you might lose the thumb drive so no no no!

Thumb drives permanently locked onto a steel cable that can only reach the machines they'll be used with and no others.

Also, don't tell them about fingerprint readers as I think these same folks will just faint at the word biometrics :ohdear:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Thumb drives permanently locked onto a steel cable that can only reach the machines they'll be used with and no others.

Also, don't tell them about fingerprint readers as I think these same folks will just faint at the word biometrics :ohdear:

P sure these people LOVE biometrics, because they just don't look at how easy they are to beat.

"Can't imitate my retinal patterns :smug:"

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

RFC2324 posted:

P sure these people LOVE biometrics, because they just don't look at how easy they are to beat.

"Can't imitate my retinal patterns :smug:"

Ah, sorry, turns out someone CAN replicate your retinal patterns. We're going to need to rotate yours.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Ah, sorry, turns out someone CAN replicate your retinal patterns. We're going to need to rotate yours.

Good, maybe if enough people get this treatment they'll finally start making tall aspect ratio monitors again.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Good, maybe if enough people get this treatment they'll finally start making tall aspect ratio monitors again.
You know you can just use regular monitors in portrait, right?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SyNack Sassimov posted:

lmao

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Bring back circular aspect ratio fuckers

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

Issue: 2 PCs are not working
Devices: she did not know the names or what is wrong with them
Users Affected: 1+
Notes: They said these computers have been broken for 5 days and that they need them fixed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"god drat it IT couldn't you tell I needed help"

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Today we found an unauthorized USB Mass Storage Device ("thumbdrive")...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I hate everything about this post

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

sfwarlock posted:

Today we found an unauthorized USB Mass Storage Device ("thumbdrive")...

Did you watch security video and scream GOT HIM when you found the person who inserted said unauthorized device?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ugh... Goddammit, Dell

Update iDRACs in DC2 in January: iDRAC version 4.40
Update iDRACs in DC1 this morning: iDRAC version 4.32
Check Dell's website for manual download: 4.40

This wouldn't be such a pain in the rear end if there wasn't missing functionality (raid controller poo poo).

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

One of my hats is infrastructure architect, with a particular focus on UNIX/Linux. If someone's doing a new project on our predominantly on-prem world that requires something more than a garden-variety VM deployment, and it's going to run Linux, they almost always come to me. There's another architect with a stronger Windows background who gets those requests. Except that he apparently decided to go around me for a Linux project because he was in a hurry, and now he's shocked, simply shocked, to discover that the standard Dell PCI RAID controller cannot create a RAID5 array out of NVMe drives. I have not yet found ways to ask "why did you think that was possible" and "why did you think that would be a good idea" that passed the rear end in a top hat test. I have to confess that I'm not trying real hard to pass said test because I do, in fact, think the guy is an rear end in a top hat.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zorak of Michigan posted:

One of my hats is infrastructure architect, with a particular focus on UNIX/Linux. If someone's doing a new project on our predominantly on-prem world that requires something more than a garden-variety VM deployment, and it's going to run Linux, they almost always come to me. There's another architect with a stronger Windows background who gets those requests. Except that he apparently decided to go around me for a Linux project because he was in a hurry, and now he's shocked, simply shocked, to discover that the standard Dell PCI RAID controller cannot create a RAID5 array out of NVMe drives. I have not yet found ways to ask "why did you think that was possible" and "why did you think that would be a good idea" that passed the rear end in a top hat test. I have to confess that I'm not trying real hard to pass said test because I do, in fact, think the guy is an rear end in a top hat.

I'd just very gently explain that in linux there are good tools at the system level to deal with that anyway, so its not like its a problem.

Maybe work in a jab about how he wouldn't understand, given that it would be a showstopper on a windows box

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

who tf wants hardware raid 5 on nvme and a presumably-modern os/processor stack

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Windows ...RAID5

He’s probably at least a jalapeño on Spiceworks tho

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i am a moron posted:

He’s probably at least a jalapeño on Spiceworks tho
Got five SAM-SDs because Nimble wanted too much money

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

Got five SAM-SDs because Nimble wanted too much money

I was going to make a scott alan miller joke but I'm pretty sure this is one and now I really REALLY don't want to look up what the hell you mean because I'm sure I'm going to be angry about how stupid it is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nah nothing specific, just the standard Scott Alan Miller joke. I'm sure it's years out of date now and he probably got too upset that someone put some SATA disks in a server without crediting him and got banned for the meltdown.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

orange juche posted:

I work in government IT

Hey me too, we're finally updating our Windows 1809 machines to Windows 1909. We recently got a new manager who had no experience with government/military IT and he was under the assumption everything here would be the latest and greatest. We're so far away from cutting edge stuff it isn't funny

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hotel Kpro posted:

Hey me too, we're finally updating our Windows 1809 machines to Windows 1909. We recently got a new manager who had no experience with government/military IT and he was under the assumption everything here would be the latest and greatest. We're so far away from cutting edge stuff it isn't funny

:sadwave: hi buddy

we went to 1909 and everything loving broke

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
That sucks man. We were up against the wall trying to get a good image going. For some reason the one we were using broke outlook, so we upgraded another one and poo poo was down to the wire more than once. Except it broke active client so that was fun to fix too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Anyone have any experience with Cisco support? I was assigned to try to troubleshoot an issue with a client where the web interface on their router just spins when they try to login, and I went and created a Cisco support account and made a ticket, but I've been ghosted by the support rep since their first reply on Tuesday despite multiple followup attempts.