Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is no one here from New Zealand

having a sensible chuckle at our plight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

To be fair we had proper plans to fight this style pandemic before it happened but everyone ignored them. It depends on politics in the future sadly to how we'll react to another pandemic.

Not hopeful for the uk

By 2025 the narrative will likely be centered on the suffering of the economy due to the overreacting politicians and that it ended up being just as easy to subdue as the flu, you only needed to vaccinate.
Completely ignoring the suffering and deaths, so that future generations aren't too willing to lock down again. Because the economy.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...2021/2021-03-10

"Your well-being is fine, it's just that you're dead."

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I suppose if your husband/son/dad dies, your quality of life will be impacted?

Or it's because, as they state in the report, that a consistently greater number of women than men have been furloughed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Atopian posted:

This is going to sound a little weird, but this most recent coronavirus thing might eventually lead to an overall coronavirus threat reduction.

Pretty sure the next pandemic strategy will be to do nothing besides cross our fingers and hope that pharmaceutical companies save our arses again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This is funny because it’s a real quote but, of course, turns out to actually be true because civilian non-combatants, particularly women and children, are the most adversely affected by war but people tend to not think too much when her face appears.

In a lot of ways, Coronavirus poo poo is the same. Don’t need no masks because only sick people need masks.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Got my Cleveland Clinic notification to get my vaccine on the 22nd. I haven't been anywhere but my various doctors and work twice a week in a year. I work alone so I figured that was low enough risk to at least get outside.

I had a stroke in 2019 and with my health complications I had to be extra cautious. I don't even go outside, my nephrologist had me get a vitamin d check with my blood test last week and it was 8.4 so now I get to take another pill in the mornings.

I'm actually kind of excited about getting the shot so I can go to the grocery store or maybe a restaurant. I'm sure it will be weird but it will be nice to get back to rehab therapy also if it's safe. I was getting along pretty good but this last year has taken a big toll on me, I didn't get sick or die yet so at least there's that.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Toucan Sam posted:

grocery store or maybe a restaurant.

One of these things is not like the other. Please do not go into restaurants to eat until cases are much, much lower. I want you to continue living :unsmith:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

One of these things is not like the other. Please do not go into restaurants to eat until cases are much, much lower. I want you to continue living :unsmith:

Not to eat but to pick up food. I can't do food delivery because I know itll be gross once I get it. It would be pretty cool to limp in, getting pretty good at the no cane walking, and get my own food even if I end up eating in my car. I've been super careful and it would be nice to do something kind of normal in a month or so after I'm vaccinated. Restaurants freak me out with all the maskless eating going on.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Toucan Sam posted:

Not to eat but to pick up food. I can't do food delivery because I know itll be gross once I get it. It would be pretty cool to limp in, getting pretty good at the no cane walking, and get my own food even if I end up eating in my car. I've been super careful and it would be nice to do something kind of normal in a month or so after I'm vaccinated. Restaurants freak me out with all the maskless eating going on.

:3: Then that's very cool.

I know a lot of our restaurants will let you pick up curbside if you just call ahead. It might be worth a shot?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Or it's because, as they state in the report, that a consistently greater number of women than men have been furloughed.
As the report also states, the domestic impact has been much harder on women than men. A disproportionately high amount of housework and childcare already fell on women, even ones with demanding careers, and like so many other things, the pandemic amplified that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Looks like my wife and I are getting our first pokes a week from today, here in Central Illinois. At a Kroger of all places. :shrug:

That's almost exactly a year from when we shut our lives down. It's kind of overwhelming tbh, but in a good way.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Got my pfirst pfizer dose yesterday after volunteering at a distribution clinic. I don't think it's working through because I don't feel the chip inside me and can't read the minds of anyone else

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How realistic do you guy's think the Biden's plan to have vaccines available for every adult in the US by around May 2021 is? https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/11/covid-vaccine-biden-will-direct-states-to-make-all-adults-eligible-by-may-1.html

Has his past promises regarding the vaccine held up?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Got my pfirst pfizer dose yesterday after volunteering at a distribution clinic. I don't think it's working through because I don't feel the chip inside me and can't read the minds of anyone else

It takes a while. First sign will be some itching when the 5G kicks in.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

canyoneer posted:

Can you connect to 5G yet? Try thinking a Google search (assuming 5G is available in your area).

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

How realistic do you guy's think the Biden's plan to have vaccines available for every adult in the US by around May 2021 is? https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/11/covid-vaccine-biden-will-direct-states-to-make-all-adults-eligible-by-may-1.html

Big difference between "available" and "eligible"

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

dwarf74 posted:

Can you connect to 5G yet? Try thinking a Google search (assuming 5G is available in your area).

Error 404 but flashing across your irises

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Busy Bee posted:

It's pretty realistic. I mean we're averaging almost 2 and 1/2 million shots a day by the end of April the 1A , 1B etc.. groups will be vaccinated and at that point there's not a reason to prioritize. They're also really ramping up production of the vaccines as well. We've given out already 98 million shots.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Atopian posted:

This is going to sound a little weird, but this most recent coronavirus thing might eventually lead to an overall coronavirus threat reduction.

See, the issue of "novel coronavirus jumps out and kills people" has never been a question of 'if', ever since mass air travel became popular, but instead, 'how long?'.
We had the SARS1 thing, the MERS thing, and we were due. When I was still working in the area, a perennial option for reviews was summarising the past, then speculation about the latest information regarding risk factors and warning signs.

But now that things have really gone sideways in developed countries, we had this huge push to develop effective vaccines and vaccine frameworks, and so that might translate into less overall stress when the next big coronavirus thing comes along.
Which it will.

This, and also a reminder to population that pandemics still do happen, its not something that happened "at war times" near a century ago because they didn't have technology to curb-stomp it at the patient zero. Also, what to do and how things will work when it happens again. At least here people have stopped laughing and pointing to people who wear face masks and disposable gloves in public.

The entire COVID-19-experience should make the next big one at least less of a novelty to people who are capable of actually learning things and not repeating mistakes.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Alan Smithee posted:

is no one here from New Zealand

having a sensible chuckle at our plight

Sometimes it's a sensible chuckle, other times it's a sad sigh at how dumb Americans can be.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

canyoneer posted:

What state are you in

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I felt the 5g kick in like a day later, I immediately knew what the weather was like and the score to the sports game

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Got my Oxford vaccine at 10am, headache started an hour ago at 8pm - I don’t get headaches, and I really want to go to bed but my kids will destroy the house if I do.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Phase 1b is due to roll out here on 22nd and I meet the criteria. Will ring my GP next week to find out when they're receiving the vaccine.

People have been asked to keep an eye on the DoH information. I don't think that's going to be a great way of conveying information to a lot of the population about when they can get vaccinated.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 12, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Bill Gates made me switch to a Windows Phone after I got my first shot.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

People in COVID countries will never know the familiar surge of anxiety that comes with reading about a single new case cropping up on the other side of the country:

https://twitter.com/brisbanetimes/status/1370339163912900609

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

freebooter posted:

People in COVID countries will never know the familiar surge of anxiety that comes with reading about a single new case cropping up on the other side of the country:

nah, we remember it well

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Alan Smithee posted:

What state are you in

AZ

I was a non-clinical volunteer, doing administrative grunt work scheduling appointments on an ipad.
It was a drive-through clinic in a parking lot at a college. Everyone there was supposed to have a previously scheduled appointment, and I'd say about 98% of them did. Never left their cars the entire time.
They have been ramping up capacity through adding more staff, more vaccine product availability, and refining the process. The throughput of the day was about 3,000 doses. That's about double from what they were getting just a week ago at the same distribution site. Appointments were set in 6 minute intervals, and they had just added a bunch of slots in the prior couple of days. Some people who got vaxed that day had their appointment set a month ago, some of them had just gotten a slot the day before.
The drivers pulled in off the street, into 2 winding lanes that split into 10 lanes via volunteers waving flags and pointing. Everyone had an appointment number, a volunteer pulled up their file on an ipad, and confirmed all the medical stuff they were supposed to pre-fill online and check ID against the patient info. When that was done, they wrote their appointment number in grease pencil on the windshield and sent them along to the white tents.
These 40x40 canopies provided shade for the clinical volunteers while they had the patient put the car in park, roll down the window, and poke 'em with the syringe. Then they asked them some questions, made sure they weren't having a reaction, wrote the current time + 15 minutes on their windshield, and then sent them along into the waiting area.
Waiting area was several lanes of cars stopped in lines. Volunteers came up to the drivers, pulled up their record on an ipad, and then set their return appointment for the second dose. If people were there getting their second dose already, this wasn't needed. After their 15 minute "observation" was over and the time on their windshield elapsed, the nurses at the end of the line of cars would clean off the grease pencil from the windshield, give them their signed and stamped vax card (or sign/stamp their existing vax card for the second dose), and clear them to leave.

All but two of the patients I interacted with were chill. One was panicking a little bit, asking if the vaccine was truly safe (I'm not a doctor, but yes. Also, you just got it so too late.) Another was recording the entire thing as a video on his phone, despite several signs saying no photos or recording of any type. That felt uncomfortable. I'm not the cops, I didn't pull you over, you drove here on your own will and are getting life-saving medication, don't make this weird.
Had a patient there at 92 years old, another was 19 years old (worked in child care), and everything in between. Lots of people driving their elderly parents to get a vaccine. All of the younger or middle aged people probably got in via their work status. I saw people pull up in their government-issued work trucks packed with tools. Also saw 5 college students crammed into a sedan all get their shots.
The clinical workers giving the injections were mostly just dressed like nurses, but some were other medically certified government employees in uniform. Army, National Guard, US Forest Service, cops, firefighters, etc. I think they were desperate for the help, and treated them all like royalty while we non-clinical volunteers did all the standing-in-the-sun grunt work (rightfully so, I'd say).
They kept us well-fed with food, snacks, and drinks donated by local businesses. We got our vax doses through the day (to spread it out and not drag out the ending time), but they wisely only gave you your proof of vaccination after you checked out at the end of your shift to discourage people from signing up to volunteer, getting dosed, and then disappearing.

It was a long day of standing and most of it was boring, but I got my first dose and a guaranteed return appointment for the second one in 3 weeks and it would have been worth it even if they had me digging ditches for 11 hours straight instead.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

I was just about to post this.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-12/brisbane-hospital-lockdown-doctor-covid/13244616

In other news, the Quad meeting seems to have gone well.

quote:

The partnership has had a faltering history and is usually viewed as a bloc to counter China.

But in its latest incarnation, Quad members have given it a new, broader purpose to cooperate on what Mr Biden calls "practical solutions and concrete results" to global problems, including COVID-19, climate change and cyber security.

As an early indication of its intent, the group has outlined plans to harness its enormous medical and manufacturing capacities to lift coronavirus vaccine production and distribution, mostly for the benefit of other Asian and Pacific island countries together with members of the COVAX group of nations.

The vaccine project will at first involve funding by the US, manufacturing of the Johnson & Johnson shot by India and Japan and help with logistics by Australia.

Australia's contribution is valued at about $100 million, mainly concentrated around "last mile" distribution in South-East Asia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-13/quad-australia-us-india-japan-in-massive-covid-vaccine-deal/13245198

Lolie fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 12, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Zugzwang posted:

TontoCorazon posted:

I felt the 5g kick in like a day later, I immediately knew what the weather was like and the score to the sports game

Can either of you smell the air with your tongue yet?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Zugzwang posted:

My phone, Switch, chromebook, and boombox were all spontaneously replaced with zunes

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Can either of you smell the air with your tongue yet?

No but I can only see motion

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

"Anyone who must attend the hospital will be required to wear a mask."

Is this... not the case nationwide??? In Victoria I've had to put a mask on when going anywhere near a medical setting, even before the second wave when masks became mandatory elsewhere. At the Alfred Hospital, which I visit on the reg, they even started making you take your cloth mask off and put a surgical one on.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

Is this... not the case nationwide??? In Victoria I've had to put a mask on when going anywhere near a medical setting, even before the second wave when masks became mandatory elsewhere. At the Alfred Hospital, which I visit on the reg, they even started making you take your cloth mask off and put a surgical one on.

It's not even the same from one hospital to the next in NSW. My local hospital has required masks since mid last year but my kids work at different hospitals and one requires masks while the other doesn't.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

freebooter posted:

Why would a country without supply chain disruptions not universally use N95 or better

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SchnorkIes posted:

Why would a country without supply chain disruptions not universally use N95 or better

In a very stupid voice, “maybe someone will wear them wrong”.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

SchnorkIes posted:

The official line remains that it is droplet spread and not airborne so the recommendation is for surgical masks except when aerosolising procedures are being undertaken.

We certainly didn't have unlimited supplies, either. When I was having chemotherapy last year the infusion nurses were given one N95 per day, even though they were each dealing with multiple, immunocompromised, patients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

Oh I remember the feeling when the first cases were reported in WA. Then when people started being like "They won't let us get tested but a LOT of people seem to be sick in NYC" and realizing it was probably already all over the USA.