Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
paradox is too new, gonna have to blame the ukranian diaspora and all those monuments they built to assholes who rode with dirlewanger.

now that's one helluva snipe. wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I think everyone forgot about Guantanamo, and the fact that there are dozens of men who were completely innocent who were kept there, including at least one child soldier. Many of them have serious medical conditions they've developed from being kept there but the US will never shut it down because Americans pretty much in their totality, Democrat and Republican, are aghast at the idea of having them kept anywhere on mainland US soil.

being aghast at bringing them here is just a smokescreen for extralegal jurisdiction and not being subject to any kind of transparency

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Flavius Aetass posted:

being aghast at bringing them here is just a smokescreen for extralegal jurisdiction and not being subject to any kind of transparency

alerting the fyad iks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Trash Ops posted:

i will finally admit i was the guy who bought that ohhhboy guy the xi avatar that broke his brain so hard he advocated for the murder of every han person in xinjiang

lol

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Trash Ops posted:

alerting the fyad iks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Here's an article from the Washington Post:

Academic faces Chinese lawsuit for exposing human rights abuses in Xinjiang

again, guess who the academic is?

quote:

Beijing has targeted a high-profile U.S.-based researcher whose work has been critical to exposing human rights abuses in China’s northwest, with state media reporting he is being sued by companies in the Xinjiang region.

In a telephone interview from his home in Minnesota on Tuesday night, Adrian Zenz said he believed the lawsuit was a sign that U.S. economic sanctions on the region were having a significant effect. He said Beijing was probably seeking to create a chilling effect on other researchers doing similar work.

The lawsuit comes as Zenz and other researchers have been building a case that Beijing’s treatment of ethnic minorities in Xinjiang meets the definition of “genocide” under the Geneva Conventions.

The United States has imposed economic sanctions on Xinjiang over the past year in response to evidence documented by researchers, including Zenz, of a mass campaign of detention and forced labor targeting Muslim Uyghurs in the region. The sanctions include a blanket ban on cotton from the region, which accounts for 87 percent of the cotton grown in China.

Zenz, who is German, began researching conditions in Xinjiang several years ago as an independent scholar, and since 2019 as a senior fellow at the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation, a U.S.-based nonprofit organization.

Zenz was among more than 50 contributors to a lengthy report laying out the argument for a designation of genocide, which was released Tuesday by the Newlines Institute, a Washington-based think tank.

notice how Victims of Communism is merely characterized as a US-based nonprofit.

and then that report "released Tuesday by the Newlines Institute"? That was the one that CNN (and other media outlets) reported on, that I covered in my previous post. Stunningly, WaPo is willing to admit that Zenz was involved in that report, when other reporting didn't indicate it at all and only named the Think Tank. Indeed, you might even make the case that finding Zenz on the Contributor section of the About page of Newlines Institute wouldn't necessarily mean that he was involved in the report, and yet here is WaPo outright admitting it.

and the reason why I found this on my feed was that it was posted by Matt Duss, who was advising the Bernie Sanders campaign on foreign policy. Duss was supposed to a figure that was willing to go against The Blob of the American foreign policy establishment, and yet here he is towing the line expressed by both the Trump and Biden administrations.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
covid-19 was actually engineered by germany, change my mind

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Trash Ops posted:

hello i am fojar38 and i am legally required to tell you i moved into the neighborhood

learning that that dude got banned from the wow forum(?????) for defending the Highway of Death was incredible

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Trash Ops posted:

alerting the fyad iks

The assassination of Trash Ops by the coward Flavius Aetass

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You nailed it dude.

The country that actively started several genocidal wars in the middle east, is locking immigrants in concentration camps, is sanctioning several nations to death, and helping the Saudis carry out their genocidal war in Yemen is the same as the country that is not doing that.

You know genocide is, ideally, not one of those things where you're just like "hey they get one so we get one" right lmao

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The assassination of Trash Ops by the coward Flavius Aetass

quote:

In any case, I don't probe for mod sass

lol

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Yossarian-22 posted:

i don't get it, why can't we just settle on china having their own guantanamo and acknowledging that it sucks and that the u.s. is just as guilty and then all hug and kiss each other instead of turning it into this high stakes thing? instead of "china has guantamo and it's good actually" vs. "XINJIANG IS AUSCHWITZ BUT IN 2021"

well the problem is that "having their own guantanamo" is factually false, unless you have some reason to believe that people are not just being held indefinitely but tortured on the reg

THS
Sep 15, 2017

this thread honestly rules gj everyone

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ferrinus posted:

well the problem is that "having their own guantanamo" is factually false, unless you have some reason to believe that people are not just being held indefinitely but tortured on the reg

lmao

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

we had copious photos and testimonials about our racial torture regime, which also comported perfectly with the ethos of our imperial wars and domestic apartheid. or do you think there's no difference between being coerced into school attendance in order to be pressed into the labor force and being tied against a wall while being savaged by dogs or whatever our brave boy got up to for years and years

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
yo who gives a gently caress, are larry and the others unbanned yet or are the mods still having sex with children?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
oh no what if I get banned? would be absolutely horrible to miss out on being called a nazi in a national magazine by the wife beating owner of the website again. would suck so bad to miss out on that. itd be like if the mods never had anyone call them pedophiles again, they love it and just like with me its 100% true. just free larry and the rest and stop being think skinned baby bitches and also free me too preemptively.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

the thing about online communities is that they can't really work without mods, but, also, mods can't really work in a strictly legalistic manner based entirely on a document of all-encompassing community rules. there just has to be some set of broad ethical and political values that a forums community agrees is important and which the mods uphold to the best of their ability, including by probating or banning people who do "i'm not touching you" bullshit where they skirt around the letter but not the spirit of those values. the reason the mods did stupid probations of people who failed to cleave closely enough to the state department line is that they genuinely thought those people were expressing abhorrent views out of line with those of the community, of which the mods, themselves, are also members

expressing open hostility to the mods in order to provoke reprisal isn't actually a principled stand of any sort, because there's not actually some sort of sacred free speech principle here to test the formal limits of. it's just a lack of social skills

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

the thing about online communities is that they can't really work without mods, but, also, mods can't really work in a strictly legalistic manner based entirely on a document of all-encompassing community rules. there just has to be some set of broad ethical and political values that a forums community agrees is important and which the mods uphold to the best of their ability, including by probating or banning people who do "i'm not touching you" bullshit where they skirt around the letter but not the spirit of those values. the reason the mods did stupid probations of people who failed to cleave closely enough to the state department line is that they genuinely thought those people were expressing abhorrent views out of line with those of the community, of which the mods, themselves, are also members

expressing open hostility to the mods in order to provoke reprisal isn't actually a principled stand of any sort, because there's not actually some sort of sacred free speech principle here to test the formal limits of. it's just a lack of social skills

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
its a loving internet forum run by pedophiles lol dont overthink it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

peepee poopoo

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
:social skills-ly: let's split the difference. some of them are ephebophiles.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the cool communist who likes the forums police

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol it's like when white people get real mad about being called racists

mod fragility haha

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i personally wouldn't ban people for calling me a pedophile, but i would also not expect calling a mod a pedophile to change anything but my own ability to post, because i am a materialist

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
whoa really? thats loving badass of you

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

apropos to nothing posted:

whoa really? thats loving badass of you

it is, and, furthermore, i see a throughline between your fetishization of mod status and the anarchist/trot (but i repeat myself) mystification and fear of institutions, administration, and leadership generally

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
cool guy who doesnt mind if people call him a pedophile

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
oh drat a throughline? huh? zuh?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
love to seriously ponder how someones irl politics influences their opinions about the mods of the something awful forums

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i do as well, which is why i post here in the communism thread. un(?)fortunately i'm not sure the same can be said of you as of shortly

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol chill the gently caress out apropos

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's kind of amazing how this thread attracts all the top goon minds.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

that's because all other sciences and disciplines are just degenerate forms of marxism

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

apropos to nothing posted:

cool guy who doesnt mind if people call him a pedophile

hell, i've been called a pedophile before. sure, it stings, but it also builds character,

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

What did I miss? :aatrek: is back as an admin? :thunk:

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Horseshoe theory posted:

What did I miss? :aatrek: is back as an admin? :thunk:

I had a laugh imagining Mr Nadler on the Epstein flight logs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

it's really cool that the information age allows us to watch consent get manufactured in real-time, anyway i'm sure the united states has only the best of intentions this time with its humanitarian mission, unlike literally every other time they've done this

i also cannot help but think about how in mass effect lore "quad" is krogan slang for their testicles